Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #201
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Jack shirts? Naw, we already have shirts for the Greatest Canadian.

Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 PM   #202
Canuck-Hater
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Regarding cancer, what is the usual cause of death? What is the pathology here? Death from cancer always seems so sudden. One week ago, Layton was still talking to people, a week later, he was dead.

What is the actual acute cause of death when suffering from cancer? What brings about the "turn for the worse"?
Well the Cancer for starters, and Im guessing malnutrition because its impossible to digest anything during chemo therapy as I understand.
Canuck-Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 02:15 AM   #203
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon View Post
Preston manning is/was a great Canadian/person trying to make this country better.

Layton is a scumbag with a horrible disease that did everything he could to make this country a worse place to live.
trolololololololol

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Blaster86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 03:50 PM   #204
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
trolololololololol
I believe you mean.....

jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2011, 07:53 PM   #205
Nehkara
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think I have posted in here yet, mostly because I was quite upset by Jack Layton's passing. I will miss him.

R.I.P. Jack.

Huge thanks to Dion for the signature!
Nehkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:14 PM   #206
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
Regarding cancer, what is the usual cause of death? What is the pathology here? Death from cancer always seems so sudden. One week ago, Layton was still talking to people, a week later, he was dead.

What is the actual acute cause of death when suffering from cancer? What brings about the "turn for the worse"?
I can only speak from personal experience, but my grandmother died from cancer, it was the radiation that made her so sick she couldn't eat. She withered away for a fairly long time as I recall ( I was only 5-6 pr so)

My dad died when the cancer spread from his lungs to his liver and his liver shut down. It was then game over within a couple days.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:58 AM   #207
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I found it interesting that when they announced Layton had cancer again, it was only stated as being a "new" cancer and what that cancer was has never been disclosed.

Makes you wonder if the prostate cancer was ever cured or if they just kept it quiet that treatments weren't going well to push him past the election.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 02:25 AM   #208
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Cancer can be weird like that, it spreads pretty easily, and can hide in early stages.

It could have possibly been a new one. OR maybe not.

As well, with what I know of cancer, which also isn't a ton, when the cancer has grown to terminal stages, it shuts down the functions of the organs it's affecting.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daradon For This Useful Post:
HOZ
Old 08-29-2011, 02:51 AM   #209
HOZ
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daradon View Post
Cancer can be weird like that, it spreads pretty easily, and can hide in early stages.

It could have possibly been a new one. OR maybe not.

As well, with what I know of cancer, which also isn't a ton, when the cancer has grown to terminal stages, it shuts down the functions of the organs it's affecting.

I am no cancer expert either but my experience with family, friends, co-workers is that cancer is very rarely/never cured! With our current "limitations" (technology/knowledge) people can be "cleared" of cancer only to have return within months.
HOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 04:24 AM   #210
Daradon
Has lived the dream!

Exp:

Yeah I don't have a ton of experience with it either, but I did have a grandfather that died from it when I was 7. I remember because it was days before my birthday. Probably not something that would make a difference one way or the other to an adult, but at 7 it really sucked. Anyway, he had lung cancer from smoking, and this was before a lot of imaging technology and such, and so they opened him up to take care of the big tumor they knew he had in his lungs, and once inside apparently there was cancer EVERYWHERE. Once it gets on the move it can be nearly impossible to stop. More so back then. They didn't even bother removing the original tumor it was so bad.

He was 57 so while not young, it was definitely early to die.

There are better options now, and the biggest thing is it's much easier to prevent or catch early. But once you have a bad case, there's always a chance for it to come back. Sometimes in the exact spot it was, sometimes in a completely different spot.

Although we've come a long way now, I have noticed that many people will 'beat' cancer, only for it to show up again a few years down the road and it gets them the second or even third time. That's happened to a few people I knew, or knew of. Again, it could be the same cancer in the same place, the same cancer that's spread to a new place, or a completely new cancer.
Daradon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canada , layton , ndp