Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-23-2017, 02:50 PM   #4721
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah there's no doubt it's a solid improvement over the current consoles as it's near high end PC quality. I still a little disappointed that initial game loading times are still balls slow.
Wish consoles would take the step to SSDs soon.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 06:28 PM   #4722
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Sure, if you want your XB1X to cost $750.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:27 PM   #4723
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Sure, if you want your XB1X to cost $750.
I agree that it would price the console out of the mainstream buyer range if it isn't already. Still it would be nice if they could at least option it. I know I would consider paying more.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:34 PM   #4724
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Couldn't one just purchase an SSD and replace the drive with it like a regular drive upgrade?

$300 for a 1TB SSD

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IAGSDUE/...E&linkCode=df0
Old 11-23-2017, 07:40 PM   #4725
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Couldn't one just purchase an SSD and replace the drive with it like a regular drive upgrade?

$300 for a 1TB SSD

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B01IAGSDUE/...E&linkCode=df0
Not with an XB1 but I think you can with a PS4.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2017, 07:41 PM   #4726
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Huh, looks like the improvements from having an SSD aren't all that spectacular either, the console is limiting the IO artificially. Too bad the PS4 OS didn't recognize that there was an SSD and then do it's limiting differently.

EDIT: Seems you can on an XBox One too, with similar results, though GTAV improved a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWbSsJwzOkk
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2017, 07:12 AM   #4727
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Speaking of, decided to upgrade to a PS4 Pro. $100 off, plus Uncharted Lost Legacy (digital, grumble) plus, essentially a free HDD upgrade over the 500gb model I've got now was good enough for me.

Edit: plus the like $20 in credit EB Games will give me on the trade in for the original, heh.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #4728
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Speaking of, decided to upgrade to a PS4 Pro. $100 off, plus Uncharted Lost Legacy (digital, grumble) plus, essentially a free HDD upgrade over the 500gb model I've got now was good enough for me.

Edit: plus the like $20 in credit EB Games will give me on the trade in for the original, heh.
Lost Legacy looks really good in 1440p. If you still have Horizon Zero Dawn you will notice a difference as well.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #4729
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Havent even touched the DLC/expansion for HZD. Will definitely wait until after the new console arrives.
Old 11-25-2017, 06:21 PM   #4730
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

I picked up the PS4 PRO today as well. I'm actually quite surprised at the improvement I can see after using using a normal PS4 on my 4KTV previously. I thought the difference would be marginal which is why I didn't buy one previously. Everything looks cleaner. I recently played Rise of the Tomb Raider on a normal PS4 and almost want to play it again because it looks so nice in 4K. Looking forward to playing the latest games in higher resolutions. Definitely a worthy upgrade at the black friday sale price.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:07 AM   #4731
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Damn, 70 million PS4's sold now. And they're selling more faster and faster. 20 million per year.

Number of days to reach 50M from 40M : 198 days

Number of days to reach 60M from 50M : 187 days

Number of days to reach 70M from 60M : 175 days

Passing the 3DS and the PS3 soon. It's going to outpace the PS1 and Wii.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:37 AM   #4732
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Year 3 and 4 tend to be the peak years. PS4 likely still has an even longer tail.
Old 01-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #4733
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

XboneX Scorpio edition stock still up on Microsoft.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/stor...k9GbuH8aQ33Q)()
Old 01-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #4734
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
I picked up the PS4 PRO today as well. I'm actually quite surprised at the improvement I can see after using using a normal PS4 on my 4KTV previously. I thought the difference would be marginal which is why I didn't buy one previously. Everything looks cleaner. I recently played Rise of the Tomb Raider on a normal PS4 and almost want to play it again because it looks so nice in 4K. Looking forward to playing the latest games in higher resolutions. Definitely a worthy upgrade at the black friday sale price.
I'm playing the Uncharted Collection in 4K and it's funny playing a game from 2007 in 4K remastered on the Pro. It looks damn good and plays well.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:50 AM   #4735
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Switch is killing it right now. The best launch series of games I can remember, not really a dead period at all it seems. Remember when analysts were calling consoles dead. Or that Nintendo should stop making hardware and just sell their games on mobile.

Looks like the PS4 will outsell the PS3, probably the PS1 as well. Maybe (but
probably not?) the PS2?

Who would have thought that Microsoft could have been a distant 3rd this (pseudo) generation.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/04/ninten...-sales-record/

On Thursday, Nintendo announced that the Switch had become the fastest selling home video game system of all time in the U.S., selling over 4.8 million units in 10 months. That’s 800,000 more than the Wii did in the same timeframe.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#519fbab5742b

Sony Sells 74 Million PS4s, But The Nintendo Switch Should Catch It Someday

Sony has recently passed the Nintendo 3DS to be the 10th best-selling video game system of all time, though so far, it’s still behind its other three models including #7 PS3 (83.8 million), #4 PS1 (102.49 million) and #1 PS2 (155+ million), though it seems likely it will move up a few more spaces before all is said and done.

Common estimates usually put Xbox One sales at about half or less of what PS4 has sold this generation.
Old 01-10-2018, 08:34 PM   #4736
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemgear View Post
The Switch is killing it right now. The best launch series of games I can remember, not really a dead period at all it seems. Remember when analysts were calling consoles dead. Or that Nintendo should stop making hardware and just sell their games on mobile.

Looks like the PS4 will outsell the PS3, probably the PS1 as well. Maybe (but
probably not?) the PS2?

Who would have thought that Microsoft could have been a distant 3rd this (pseudo) generation.

http://fortune.com/2018/01/04/ninten...-sales-record/

On Thursday, Nintendo announced that the Switch had become the fastest selling home video game system of all time in the U.S., selling over 4.8 million units in 10 months. That’s 800,000 more than the Wii did in the same timeframe.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc.../#519fbab5742b

Sony Sells 74 Million PS4s, But The Nintendo Switch Should Catch It Someday

Sony has recently passed the Nintendo 3DS to be the 10th best-selling video game system of all time, though so far, it’s still behind its other three models including #7 PS3 (83.8 million), #4 PS1 (102.49 million) and #1 PS2 (155+ million), though it seems likely it will move up a few more spaces before all is said and done.

Common estimates usually put Xbox One sales at about half or less of what PS4 has sold this generation.
Probably true...but it has a lot to do with the fact most of the big titles were developed for Wii U so had years of a head start.

I highly doubt the switch will catch the PS4...PS4 has been out for 5 years and is still selling strong. Switch hardware is already about 5 years behind it is gonna look archaic in another 5 years.

Not saying its bad...its certainly the best portable system ever and pretty awesome. There are just reasons for its early success...Very rare circumstances brought a full fledged 3d Mario and Zelda game year one.
Old 01-15-2018, 01:13 PM   #4737
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
Probably true...but it has a lot to do with the fact most of the big titles were developed for Wii U so had years of a head start.

I highly doubt the switch will catch the PS4...PS4 has been out for 5 years and is still selling strong. Switch hardware is already about 5 years behind it is gonna look archaic in another 5 years.

Not saying its bad...its certainly the best portable system ever and pretty awesome. There are just reasons for its early success...Very rare circumstances brought a full fledged 3d Mario and Zelda game year one.

Does that even matter?

Nintendo has been behind hardware-wise since the N64. They didn't even try with the Gamecube or Wii.

That's not the game they're playing.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 01:48 PM   #4738
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sr. Mints View Post
Nintendo has been behind hardware-wise since the N64. They didn't even try with the Gamecube or Wii.

That's not the game they're playing.
Hardware wise the Gamecube was able to keep up the PS2 and the Xbox in most regards. It produced some technically impressive games at the time. I imagine the small disc size was a factor in losing some multi-console ports, though. They also seemed to target experienced gamers way more with the Gamecube, which they obviously abandoned afterwards.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #4739
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazrim View Post
Hardware wise the Gamecube was able to keep up the PS2 and the Xbox in most regards. It produced some technically impressive games at the time. I imagine the small disc size was a factor in losing some multi-console ports, though. They also seemed to target experienced gamers way more with the Gamecube, which they obviously abandoned afterwards.
NGC was kind of underrated. As far as the hardware was concerned it was in the same ballpark as the PS2 and Xbox in a tidy little package which was only possible by utilizing miniDVD discs. Resident Evil 4 for example was one of the best looking games of the generation as were the Metroid games. I don't think the disc was a limiting factor (they fit bigger games on multiple discs) and more that 3rd party games simply didn't sell well on the platform as happens with most Nintendo consoles. It did have some really good exclusive games though.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 01-15-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #4740
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eternal Darkness is still one of my favorite console games ever made. Don't really get inventiveness like that nowadays.

Too bad Silicon Knights followed up ED and MGS: Twin Snakes (which was also a fantastic NGC exclusive title) with hot garbage and ran the company into the dirt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote