Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM   #41
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oling_Roachinen View Post
Can you provide any source for this information?
Does he have to? Earlier, you seemed to be all in favour of believing people without any evidence to back up their claims.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 08:58 AM   #42
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
Does he have to? Earlier, you seemed to be all in favour of believing people without any evidence to back up their claims.
I didn't discredit the accusation of a 13 year old who accused a person of rape. That's it. This should hardly be a controversial position, yet here we are.

If he can provide a reputable source, of course I would change my opinion - which is only that the 13 year old may have been raped. That's what the point of a discussion board is and if Vlad has more knowledge on the subject and can provide facts, I don't see the harm in asking for it. But if a 2004 post on hockeyfights.com stating that not only is the 13 year old a complete liar when it comes to the rape but also a thief is going to be used to discredit the accusation of a 13 year old potential rape victim, I can't help but feel pity.

As an aside, and nothing to do with Snuff, but given the apparent position of a relative significant number of CP members who seem to want to discredit or downplay the seriousness when minors are allegedly abused by adults (not just this case), I can't help but wonder how many members found Calgarypuck by chance while looking for other CP...

Last edited by Oling_Roachinen; 11-24-2017 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Posted wrong user
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:00 AM   #43
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I didn't discredit the accusation of a 13 year old who accused a person of rape. That's it. This should hardly be a controversial position, yet here we are.

If he can provide a reputable source, of course I would change my opinion. That's what the point of a discussion board is. But if a 2004 post on hockeyfights.com stating that not only is the 13 year old a complete liar when it comes to the rape but also a thief is going to be used to discredit the accusation of a 13 year old potential rape victim, I can't help but feel pity.

Given the apparent position of a relative significant number of CP members who seem to want to discredit or downplay the seriousness when minors are allegedly abused by adults (not just this case), I can't help but wonder how many members found Calgarypuck by chance while looking for other CP...
That's all good. I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out your hypocrisy.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:05 AM   #44
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
That's all good. I'm not arguing with you, just pointing out your hypocrisy.
Which hypocrisy is that Canehdianman? I've said repeatedly that I wasn't there, that Gilmour may have raped a 13 year old or that Gilmour may have been defamed.

It's others on this board that are saying that the 13 year old, in no unclear terms, made it up.

It's funny the difference in discussion if Gilmour was running for US Senate instead of scoring Stanley Cup winning goals would be though, sadly.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:15 AM   #45
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
As an aside, and nothing to do with Vlad, but given the apparent position of a relative significant number of CP members who seem to want to discredit or downplay the seriousness when minors are allegedly abused by adults (not just this case), I can't help but wonder how many members found Calgarypuck by chance while looking for other CP...
People who disagree with you are pedophiles. Got it.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:28 AM   #46
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
People who disagree with you are pedophiles. Got it.
In some cases, when it comes to 14 year olds being raped (sorry, having sexual relations...) with adult teachers, and CP members justifying that. Yeah, I don't think that's a completely unfair position to take. Probably a bit more fair to call them ephebophile-sympathizers though.
Old 11-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #47
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
and the meme also makes a lot of sense when it comes to the Gilmour trade.

Luckily, Edmonton made the Reinhart trade.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:46 AM   #48
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Luckily, Edmonton made the Reinhart trade.
Ehh, that trade just caused a bad team to remain bad.

The Gilmour trade sent us into a death spiral that took a decade to recover from.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:51 AM   #49
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Ehh, that trade just caused a bad team to remain bad.

The Gilmour trade sent us into a death spiral that took a decade to recover from.
I know, but I wanted to take a shot.

Also, the Gilmour situation was Risebrough trying to take a crap situation and salvage something. He got fleeced for sure, but at the time I'm pretty sure he figured Leeman (who had scoring history) was better than he turned out to be and also he figured that by trading a massive amount of guys he could find something in the return to claim a win over.

Funny about the whole thing - you'd have thought Gilmour and Risebrough would be kindred spirits. They approached the game in a similar way (Gilmour just had more talent).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 10:31 AM   #50
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I usually take solace in the fact that in 1968, the Blackhawks trade outspoken Esposito as well as Ken Hodge and Fred Stanfield to the Bruins for Gilles Marotte and Pit Martin.

Esposito immediately becomes an all-time great. He becomes the first player in league history to score 100 points in a season. He scores 126 points in 1969...the previous record was 97.

In 1971, Esposito sets an all-time league record with 152 points breaking his own previous 126 points. With the scoring of the 80's, it's easy to forget just how hard it use to be to break the 50 goal barrier. By 1970, there was only a single player in all of NHL history to score more than 50 goals in a season. That was Bobby Hull who had scored 58 (1969), 54 (1966) and 52 (1967). In 1971 Esposito scored 76. He annihilated the NHL all-time goal scoring record.

Okay, fine, but Esposito was only one player, that trade might not have had the same affect as the multi-players in the Gilmour trade.

1971 scoring leaders:

1. Esposito - 152 points
2. Orr - 139 points
3. Bucyk - 116 points
4. Hodge - 105 points
5. Hull - 96 points
6. Ullman - 85 points
7. Cashman - 79 points
8. McKenzie - 77 points
9. Stanfield - 76 points

The Bruins had acquired the 1st, 4th and 9th overall highest scoring players of the 1971 season in a single trade.

The Blackhawks lost to the Canadiens in the final that year...imagine if they had those three players? There's an incredible possibility that the Blackhawks lost out at an all-time great dynasty because of that trade.
Old 11-24-2017, 11:00 AM   #51
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, but the Blackhawks aren't our team. No emotional attachment. The Gilmour trade was still the worst of all time.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #52
Gaudreau is a Ninja
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I will never forget when Gilmour was traded, long story short it still really really hurts ( Macoun being part of that deal hurt as well )
Calgary Flames #1 St. Louis Cardinals #1
Gaudreau is a Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote