Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-28-2021, 11:04 PM   #1001
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphusk View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but when was the last time a team truly won an arbitration case? Where the player played a huge role above his arbitrary contract?
The point of arbitration isn’t to get the best possible deal, it’s to get a deal done that both sides can live with. That’s why 9 times out of 10 the arbitrator just awards the average of what each side is proposing.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:06 PM   #1002
Poison
First Line Centre

Exp:

I highly doubt they traded for him not having a deal verbally in place.
Last thing u want to do is trade for a guy and then go to straight to arb so he can have a bad taste in his mouth.
Why it hasnt been announced yet i dunno but could be small details.
Poison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:25 PM   #1003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poison View Post
I highly doubt they traded for him not having a deal verbally in place.
Last thing u want to do is trade for a guy and then go to straight to arb so he can have a bad taste in his mouth.
Why it hasnt been announced yet i dunno but could be small details.
The Hawks probably have an idea of what it will take to get it done and that info has been relayed to the Flames and they are ok with it.
Old 07-28-2021, 11:27 PM   #1004
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdonkey View Post
The point of arbitration isn’t to get the best possible deal, it’s to get a deal done that both sides can live with. That’s why 9 times out of 10 the arbitrator just awards the average of what each side is proposing.
Yeah and that's fine. When was the last time a player truly outperformed his arbitrary deal?
Old 07-29-2021, 07:33 AM   #1005
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

So what does everyone think? Are we done? Doesn’t feel like we’re done.

Maybe with respect to goaltending and defence beyond signing our own UFA/RFAs. I still think there’s a big trade coming in the forward group. Someone from the top 6 is leaving. I think it will be decided by the end of the weekend and it will be dictated by discussions with Gaudreau and Tkachuk about their futures. There’s some big contracts coming due next season.

So far I think the moves they have made have definitely made the team bigger and tougher which was needed. Also hopefully helps to change the chemistry in the locker room with Lewis and Coleman being added. Zadorov adds an intimidation factor on D.

Not sure about darth vlader in net because I’ve never heard of the guy. But beyond that I’m pretty happy with what they’ve done so far. In terms of free agents it would be nice to grab Nick Ritchie. But I think we might be done with free agents.

But per above it doesn’t feel like we’re done.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:42 AM   #1006
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goriders View Post
So what does everyone think? Are we done? Doesn’t feel like we’re done.

Maybe with respect to goaltending and defence beyond signing our own UFA/RFAs. I still think there’s a big trade coming in the forward group. Someone from the top 6 is leaving. I think it will be decided by the end of the weekend and it will be dictated by discussions with Gaudreau and Tkachuk about their futures. There’s some big contracts coming due next season.

So far I think the moves they have made have definitely made the team bigger and tougher which was needed. Also hopefully helps to change the chemistry in the locker room with Lewis and Coleman being added. Zadorov adds an intimidation factor on D.

Not sure about darth vlader in net because I’ve never heard of the guy. But beyond that I’m pretty happy with what they’ve done so far. In terms of free agents it would be nice to grab Nick Ritchie. But I think we might be done with free agents.

But per above it doesn’t feel like we’re done.
I will Say that they are done. They will come out with some internal discussion on how prices were too high.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:48 AM   #1007
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

from the looks of what's available they are probably done with external signings and focus on their own...I agree and think trades will be the focus after that.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:49 AM   #1008
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
His ask is apparently 5 x $5,580,000

He's a prime aged top 4 Dman.

It'll start with a 4 at least IMO
I would like to know the source of this number.

Edit: I found it, Scott Powers, an Athletic guy. His QO his 3.2 so I think 4 is the most he will get.

Last edited by dissentowner; 07-29-2021 at 07:52 AM. Reason: source
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 07:52 AM   #1009
robertsfanatic
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I asked this in another thread (probably the wrong one) and tried searching but does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think I was having a fever dream but was there some kind of rumor about John Carlson and the Flames? for some reason it's stuck in my head but it might have been a Bot.
Old 07-29-2021, 07:57 AM   #1010
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420593793741557760
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:09 AM   #1011
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfanatic View Post
I asked this in another thread (probably the wrong one) and tried searching but does anyone know what I'm talking about?

I think I was having a fever dream but was there some kind of rumor about John Carlson and the Flames? for some reason it's stuck in my head but it might have been a Bot.
No. I have never heard a rumour involving Carlson moving.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 08:23 AM   #1012
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Show me the last 10-15pt/season defenceman that made North of 4M??
Chris Tanev

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:37 AM   #1013
Tkachukwagon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420752684110471168

https://twitter.com/user/status/1420753136487215105

Not sure where to put this, but I think the negativity around the flames is unwarranted. By all metrics, the flames will be competitive next year and the off-season isn’t over yet.
Tkachukwagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:45 AM   #1014
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Markstrom and Andersson with really down seasons.

Monahan with a total write-off of a season.

Tkachuk with a terrible season.

Free agent signings (Leivo, Simon and Nordstrom) as complete failures and almost zero value.

IMO, the chances that the Flames are better this year is VERY high. And that doesn't even account for the fact that they him improved the team, and made it bigger, faster and nastier.

And then there is full season of Sutter.

IMO, the Flames will be significantly better than last year, and are easily a playoff team.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:47 AM   #1015
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Agreed.

Do they win the division and storm to the Finals? No. But they're a playoff team
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #1016
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I too believe that the flames will be better this next season. The real question is not if we will make the playoffs but should remain can we win the Stanley Cup?

Comparisons to Montreal are fair, but the rub has been that our players have shown more in the regular season than theirs but far less in the postseason. Maybe some of the new guys brought in help fix that, but the reality remains that our top players have underperformed in the playoffs consistently over their careers.

This is why I still think we need at least one more big change to the core. But I can see arguments against it as valid, we should indeed be a better team this year than what we showed last season.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #1017
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think a lot of things went wrong or got derailed. They aren't anywhere close to a lottery team that has a significant chance for a top 2 pick.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 08:49 AM   #1018
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

I wouldn't be too worried about Zadarov's ask.

When the Flames acquired Hamilton his reported ask from Boston was $7.5 mil. He signed for $5.75 mil
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #1019
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I wouldn't be too worried about Zadarov's ask.

When the Flames acquired Hamilton his reported ask from Boston was $7.5 mil. He signed for $5.75 mil
Good point. But Hamilton wanted out of Boston, desperately.

Zadorov did not want out of Chicago.

He's clearly not worth his ask. But he's in the position where he's a UFA in a year. He can go to arbitration, get a year contract, and then bargain with everyone.

I think he's worth no more than his QO, but I think Calgary would like to sign him for about 4 years and $4M.

I expect that they'll need to go up to $5M for 4 years, a little less for 5 years. Or they may simply settle for 1 year at $4M. to avoid arbitration.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 09:49 AM   #1020
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Good point. But Hamilton wanted out of Boston, desperately.

Zadorov did not want out of Chicago.

He's clearly not worth his ask. But he's in the position where he's a UFA in a year. He can go to arbitration, get a year contract, and then bargain with everyone.

I think he's worth no more than his QO, but I think Calgary would like to sign him for about 4 years and $4M.

I expect that they'll need to go up to $5M for 4 years, a little less for 5 years. Or they may simply settle for 1 year at $4M. to avoid arbitration.
I can't see it, about a million too high.