Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-30-2020, 02:26 PM   #221
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
I totally get that, but if the government was approached with a pro sports tournament in their province would that move the needle? A summer tournament in the Okanagan, broadcast worldwide, would certainly put it on the map (more so than it already is). Panoramic scenery would be quite the start to a broadcast, and their downtime would be on a boat or golf course.

Players would have a bigger problem catching the clap than covid....not sure if that's a plus but hey. I'm sure half these guys liver there in the summer anyway.
I'm saying that B.C has some pretty significantly bigger fish to fry right now and are still fighting to deal with that. No way the province has any sort of appetite to bring in any extra risk here. Regardless of money. If that was something the meant anything to them Vancouver would be a hub already. The fact it isn't speaks volumes to where things are at here. Hell in Victoria alone the homeless epidemic along with covid has already put this city at critical mass. Where the province has had to buy 4 hotels already on top of the arena and to add extra flavor to that, the OD rate from drugs has spiked devastatingly high. 131 cases yesterday alone. One day.

Zero chance....zero that B.C has any interest in keeping millionaires happy.

EDIT: watching whats going on here and what the B.C government is trying to do about it and what they've done to get things this decent is the primary reason I am on the cancel the season train. Then you watch the sheer stupidity happening in the states and I honestly cannot fathom why anyone is even trying. There are so much more important things to deal with than getting sports back.

Last edited by dammage79; 06-30-2020 at 02:34 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:39 PM   #222
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Totally. I'm on the same side; I can't see them getting through a tournament without an outbreak of some capacity. I am very, very skeptical they can pull it off.

What I'm getting at though, is if you are truly concerned with player safety you wouldn't be looking at somewhere like Toronto or Vegas. You would be looking at Saskatoon. Or negotiating with some level of government that can realistically hold this thing.

Money talks, however.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:44 PM   #223
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tron_fdc View Post
OK, so if that's the case why not use a city that has WAY less Covid issues, low population density, and decent arenas and can handle multiple teams and broadcast crews?

The following places fit that bill: Victoria, Vancouver, Kelowna, Penticton, Kamloops, Lethbridge, Red Deer, Calgary, Edmonton, Ft Mac, Regina, Saskatoon, Winnipeg.

It sure seems like the league is more concerned with the host city and their image than player safety. Which is fine, but just come out and say it instead of trying to play off Toronto, Vegas, SJ, LA, etc etc as these great places to hold this when the pandemic is gaining steam in those same areas.

It just smells fishy to me.
100% agree- there's more here at play than player safety.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 06:39 AM   #224
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Matthews calls out Simmons for his bush league reporting.

http://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/199...r-had-covid-19

"Well, first of all, I mean it's unfortunate that I'm getting a question from you at this point, Steve, but I just wanted to say I didn't really appreciate the article that you wrote about me a couple months ago. I thought it was a bit unethical, to be honest," Matthews said
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 06:48 AM   #225
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Matthews calls out Simmons for his bush league reporting.

www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1995288/matthews-calls-out-columnist-for-reporting-maple-leafs-star-had-covid-19

"Well, first of all, I mean it's unfortunate that I'm getting a question from you at this point, Steve, but I just wanted to say I didn't really appreciate the article that you wrote about me a couple months ago. I thought it was a bit unethical, to be honest," Matthews said
Whoa. I like it! Watch Auston Matthews become the next Tortorella
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:33 AM   #226
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not an Auston Matthews, the person, fan but he handled that well and professionally as possible toward a person he wanted to tell off. Simmons tweet response completely skirted the issue. I wish Auston put him on the spot and would have asked if it's ethical to report someones health issue. Simmons mostly misses on his assessment of any situation.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #227
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Simmons has always been a bush league reporter. He must get a lot of clicks as I don't understand how he remains employed in the Toronto media when everyone hates him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:21 AM   #228
TheSquatch
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Simmons has always been a bush league reporter. He must get a lot of clicks as I don't understand how he remains employed in the Toronto media when everyone hates him.
That's why. Truth or accuracy are less important than emotion in the media at this point.
TheSquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 09:48 AM   #229
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

In Toronto,with so many reporters covering every aspect of the Leafs, it’s always been a race to the bottom in order to get the salacious information. Remember the reporter calling James Reimers parents to check on him?

Simmons has been doing it for years, decades even. It’s his schtick and instead of holding back his opinion or in this case info that probably a few guys had, he is not one to hold back to release it. Some Matthews response to him like this only gives Simmons more encouragement. Truth is there is probably 20 reporters in Toronto that wish they would’ve gotten the lede on Matthews back when, but he got it through his network and by someone who didn’t want to be the on to have his name by the article.

It’s also why Seravelli and some of the PWHA wanted in the bubble so desperately, so they can get continue to get the juicy info behind the scenes on any number of things from various contacts who won’t put things in an email or text, but will have off the record chats...so they have that power and control of that info for their own advancement (of course they fall back on “the public want to know and we are just the conduit for that” BS).
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:27 AM   #230
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think there's a place for the Simmons of the world. I think he's mostly just trying to be controversial, but at least he's not a sports media lacky. One way to look at it is he didn't give a crap about his relations and who he's hurting his future prospects with, he just printed what he found out. On the other end of the spectrum is Bob McKenzie who is all about the relationship and feeling loved by the people inside, that he gets info and seems to keep it all to himself without sharing something until someone on the inside gives him the clear. It's not right from a journalist perspective because it's so vanilla, and as we know sports is controverisal. There's an in between and I find so many of today's sports "journalists" know truths but don't report it because it would affect their future prospects of getting insider knowledge. It's kinda pathetic as they're not true journalists. I wish there were more people in between who don't mind talking about what they discovered and seeking out the warts and telling the insider stuff instead of being butt-kissers.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:37 AM   #231
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Don't understand how Matthews was nominated for a Gentleman award.

A gentleman just answers his question without saying anything.

Bringing yourself to his level just seems so unprofessional.

He could of made a smirk remark like " Hey really liked your peice on me the other day". Don't understand this.

Anywho, this guy is talented as heck but something is off.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flames1217 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 10:41 AM   #232
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post

He could of made a smirk remark like " Hey really liked your peice on me the other day". Don't understand this.

He's arrogant, simple as that. He's a superstar who probably was spoiled his entire life being an elite athlete growing up.
Old 08-03-2020, 10:47 AM   #233
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flames1217 View Post

Not sure I understand what you’re saying here. He could have made a snarky remark. Instead, he was reasonable and professional in addressing what he thought. Which he is allowed to do.

Not unprofessional in any way, and Simmons himself had no problem with what he said. You can debate the Lady Byng nomination but that’s a separate issue.
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tvp2003 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 10:51 AM   #234
Flames1217
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvp2003 View Post
Not sure I understand what you’re saying here. He could have made a snarky remark. Instead, he was reasonable and professional in addressing what he thought. Which he is allowed to do.

Not unprofessional in any way, and Simmons himself had no problem with what he said. You can debate the Lady Byng nomination but that’s a separate issue.
Stating that it's unfortunate to receive a question from someone is unprofessional. Your pretty much saying the person is not worth your time.
Flames1217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:53 AM   #235
Manhattanboy
Franchise Player

Exp:

He could have sent him a note rather than embarrass him publicly but that’s just me.
Manhattanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 10:59 AM   #236
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manhattanboy View Post
He could have sent him a note rather than embarrass him publicly but that’s just me.
yeah, but gym class was cancelled, so he had no choice
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Enoch Root For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 12:00 PM   #237
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

There is nothing wrong with reporters like Simmons and Brooks. It’s good to get a point of view from outsiders like that, particularly with this whole covid coverup.

Since Sutter was fired there has not been a single negative comment about the Flames from the Fan 960 in 11 years. Not all reporters are fans.
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 12:03 PM   #238
Bleeding Red
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I don't get Matthews problem. Is reporting that he had Covid not the same as reporting that Crosby had a concussion? Or that Schefile has a sprained ankle? Or that Gio has the flu?
IIRC - this was before the NHL/NHLPA set the rules for the bubble vis-a-vis reporting injuries (now listed as not available to play ?!?!) A reporter (regardless of what we think of him) found out that a star player had covid/appeared in public with his pants down/gave thousands of $ to charity/let a kid beat him glove side for make a wish and reported it to the market most interested.

I'm not sure I see the ethical problem here with a person in the public eye. The ethical issue comes with HOW did he learn it. If it was from AM's family or friends, then that is AM's problem. If it was from the team or the agent the agent, then that is both AM's and the NHL/NHLPA's problem. If it was from medical personnel, I think that becomes a legal problem and it should not have been printed.

Seems like a whole lot of sour grapes.
Bleeding Red is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bleeding Red For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #239
missdpuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Is this a fact? I have not found anything confirming this prediction. Seems to me no one really knows.

And as Dr Vuong pointed out wound you really want to be in on the first iteration? I guess it would depend on your risk factor. I’d wait.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-03-2020, 01:05 PM   #240
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding Red View Post
I don't get Matthews problem. Is reporting that he had Covid not the same as reporting that Crosby had a concussion? Or that Schefile has a sprained ankle? Or that Gio has the flu?
IIRC - this was before the NHL/NHLPA set the rules for the bubble vis-a-vis reporting injuries (now listed as not available to play ?!?!) A reporter (regardless of what we think of him) found out that a star player had covid/appeared in public with his pants down/gave thousands of $ to charity/let a kid beat him glove side for make a wish and reported it to the market most interested.

I'm not sure I see the ethical problem here with a person in the public eye. The ethical issue comes with HOW did he learn it. If it was from AM's family or friends, then that is AM's problem. If it was from the team or the agent the agent, then that is both AM's and the NHL/NHLPA's problem. If it was from medical personnel, I think that becomes a legal problem and it should not have been printed.

Seems like a whole lot of sour grapes.
Nah, Auston Matthews sucks but Steve Simmons is trash. When you hear about a player getting the flu, suffering a concussion, breaking their ankle, etc, it comes direct and official from someone in the NHL. It’s information they choose to release. Simmons has no respect for a player’s personal life. People think that a player’s medical history is public domain because of how much we’re usually privy to, but it’s not.

All the other things you mentioned have conditions. Player does something in public? Well, it’s in the public. Player gets in trouble with the law? Well, if someone directly involved makes it public, it’s public. When it comes two a medical issue away from hockey, there is one person that has the right to make it public and that’s Auston Matthews. Doesn’t matter if someone who wasn’t supposed to spilled to Simmons, a reporter with any integrity wouldn’t have printed the story, but Simmons has none.

So, long story short, yeah it’s the same as when a reporter reports on Crosby getting a concussion, or someone breaking their ankle, etc. It should come from the proper sources, otherwise it’s speculation and you make it clear as such. Simmons sucks and the people that support his type of “reporting” are people who see athletes as sub-human vessels for their entertainment.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post: