Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2020, 07:15 PM   #1
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default St. John's, NL

Flying out to St. John's tomorrow for work. Direct flight to Halifax so thankfully get to avoid Toronto.

Have been to numerous locations in the Artic, all over Nunavut and Northern Quebec. Visited Labrador, PEI, NB and NS and driven clear across Canada a few times but have never been to proper Newfoundland so I'm pretty excited.

Have 1 full day off and will be renting a car, what do I need to see? Don't know if I'll ever make it back there again. Anything specific in the city?Drive south on the 10 or north to Pouch Cove?

Thanks!
Engine09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 07:34 PM   #2
kerriffic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Hey I’ll give you a quick down and dirty. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Definitely check out signal hill, short drive from the airport through the edge of downtown, Cabot tower is at the top and although it’s closed at this time of year it still has amazing panoramic views.

Next I’d take a drive out to cape spear which is the most easterly point in North America. You’ll see the famous old lighthouse and the more modern one there and might even see a whale of two. Next drive back through Petty harbour and take a walk around there (it’s basically a traditional Newfoundland outport community just outside the city) if possible grab lunch at chafes landing in petty harbour (super popular for their fish and chips).

Alternatively you could instead go to quidi viddi after visiting signal hill and is another traditional outport community but this one is within the city below signal hill. they also have a really good brewery there and may be doing tours (quidi viddi brewery). Also take a drive down to water street and park and take a walk. Very many unique buildings. I’d walk up to the famous George street (foot traffic only) and grab a pint at one of the many many pubs located there or even check out erins pub on water st. Also check out the war memorial.

Many many restaurants on water street. Too many to list but I could recommend a few. I would highly recommend visiting the rooms but it’s probably closed because of the outbreak.

Honestly not a lot to see in pouch cove if you went north and since it’s not tourist season no restaurants open there or anything.

Anyway this is just off the top of my head as FYI things have gone a little nuts in the last day or so with covid 19 (city public buildings closed etc) but you should be able to see a few of the major sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
kerriffic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kerriffic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2020, 10:23 PM   #3
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Great rundown, I'm going to follow your exact recommendations and plan my day. Thank you. I'm quite interested in seeing the coast and some less populated areas so the timing is fine with me, just gotta be careful at the airports.
Old 03-14-2020, 04:11 AM   #4
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

No offence to the wonderful newfies here but St. John's in March isn't exactly something to write home about, I guess a screech ceremony might peak you but I'm guessing you're past 25. personally I liked Erins pub for the nightlife but lets face it, no pubs will be great right now.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:22 AM   #5
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

St. Johns in winter is a crap hole...Tons of snow...then rain...1 nice day...rinse and repeat.

Absolutely beautiful in summer.

Honestly...getting there from Halifax this time of year is a crap shoot as well.

Good luck.
Old 03-24-2021, 11:00 AM   #6
Engine09
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

My Newfoundland trip last year ended up being 3 months long, looking back I really miss the place. Being able to do a few day trips along the coast was incredible, spent some time offshore also.

Daily hikes around Signal Hill, driving up to Pouch Cove, Conception Bay, Grate's Cove, Bay De Verde. Incredible. Now my 2nd favorite location in Canada behind AB/BC, anyone gets a chance, go visit.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Engine09 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 12:47 PM   #7
Swift
Not Taylor

Exp:

Yep, beautiful part of the world. Spent a week there many years ago, took the ferry from NS and drove to St. John's. Hoping to go back in the next few years, would possibly even live there if jobs were (much) better.
Swift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 12:51 PM   #8
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine09 View Post
My Newfoundland trip last year ended up being 3 months long, looking back I really miss the place. Being able to do a few day trips along the coast was incredible, spent some time offshore also.

Daily hikes around Signal Hill, driving up to Pouch Cove, Conception Bay, Grate's Cove, Bay De Verde. Incredible. Now my 2nd favorite location in Canada behind AB/BC, anyone gets a chance, go visit.
I drove from Calgary to St. John's in 2000. It's my favourite place aside from the mountains. I loved the land, the people...everything. Such a wicked place.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 01:07 PM   #9
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you can get a tour, arrange a visit to a fish plant.

Seek opportunities to hang out with Newfoundland residents. They’re the best people you’ll ever find.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 02:33 PM   #10
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

You know...we've known about Newfoundland for a while now....when do they change the name to 'Oldfoundland?'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 03:11 PM   #11
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
You know...we've known about Newfoundland for a while now....when do they change the name to 'Oldfoundland?'
Dad jokes truly are the highest form of humour.
mikephoen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mikephoen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2021, 04:03 PM   #12
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Lived there for a few years. People there are the best kind.

Planned to go back last summer for a friends wedding but a little pandemic put the kibosh on that. Might look to go back for a visit next year. A lot of friends still there I will need to round up for a swish barrel party.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 10:41 AM   #13
Misterpants
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Best Fish and Chips I've ever had were Ches's Fish and Chips. Coupled with Pineapple Crush or Birch Beer and you've got a solid lunch. St. John's was super cool, with lots of little hits close by that are cool to see. Quidi Vidi Village and Signal Hill are great vistas to take in. Only knock on Newfoundland is having to learn a new language to converse with the locals.
Misterpants is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Misterpants For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 01:31 PM   #14
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misterpants View Post
Best Fish and Chips I've ever had were Ches's Fish and Chips. Coupled with Pineapple Crush or Birch Beer and you've got a solid lunch. St. John's was super cool, with lots of little hits close by that are cool to see. Quidi Vidi Village and Signal Hill are great vistas to take in. Only knock on Newfoundland is having to learn a new language to converse with the locals.

Yes I lived in St. John's for a year back in the 90's, loved it there and wish it wasn't more expensive/more difficult to get there than to go to Europe. But when I arrived by ferry on the other side of the province and stopped at a gas station, the attendant was carrying on a conversation with me and I didn't have a clue what he was saying. At least when you get to St. John's it is closer to English and the accents aren't as thick but still a lot of different vocabulary.
Ashartus is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashartus For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 PM   #15
2ArmBands
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerriffic View Post
Hey I’ll give you a quick down and dirty. Feel free to pm me with any questions.

Definitely check out signal hill, short drive from the airport through the edge of downtown, Cabot tower is at the top and although it’s closed at this time of year it still has amazing panoramic views.

Next I’d take a drive out to cape spear which is the most easterly point in North America. You’ll see the famous old lighthouse and the more modern one there and might even see a whale of two. Next drive back through Petty harbour and take a walk around there (it’s basically a traditional Newfoundland outport community just outside the city) if possible grab lunch at chafes landing in petty harbour (super popular for their fish and chips).

Alternatively you could instead go to quidi viddi after visiting signal hill and is another traditional outport community but this one is within the city below signal hill. they also have a really good brewery there and may be doing tours (quidi viddi brewery). Also take a drive down to water street and park and take a walk. Very many unique buildings. I’d walk up to the famous George street (foot traffic only) and grab a pint at one of the many many pubs located there or even check out erins pub on water st. Also check out the war memorial.

Many many restaurants on water street. Too many to list but I could recommend a few. I would highly recommend visiting the rooms but it’s probably closed because of the outbreak.

Honestly not a lot to see in pouch cove if you went north and since it’s not tourist season no restaurants open there or anything.

Anyway this is just off the top of my head as FYI things have gone a little nuts in the last day or so with covid 19 (city public buildings closed etc) but you should be able to see a few of the major sites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Spent most of my childhood in St John’s

This post is perfect advice in my opinion
2ArmBands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 10:49 AM   #16
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

If you're looking for 30 minutes of zen. This is worth it.

KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 06:30 PM   #17
Sidney Crosby's Hat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Maybe the best meal I've ever had was at Raymond's in downtown St. John's.
Sidney Crosby's Hat is offline   Reply With Quote