Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: If you could vote on Super Tuesday who would you vote for?
Joe Biden 35 16.43%
Michael Bloomberg 14 6.57%
Pete Buttigieg 18 8.45%
Amy Klobucher 9 4.23%
Bernie Sanders 102 47.89%
Elizabeth Warren 23 10.80%
Other 12 5.63%
Voters: 213. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-13-2020, 04:57 PM   #1261
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
New batch of polls post NH.

Pete and Amy still not viable nationally.

https://morningconsult.com/2020/02/1...hampshire-win/
Also of note, Bernie is now +10 on Biden nationally.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:01 PM   #1262
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man Bloomberg might be grosser than Trump

https://twitter.com/user/status/1227687382985662464

Quote:
What 2020 Presidential contender said the following?
- "I'd #### that in a second,"
- "I’d do that piece of meat…”
- “If women wanted to be appreciated for their brains they’d go to the library instead of to Bloomingdale’s”
- Called women: “fat broads” & “horse-faced lesbian.”
Which 2020 Presidential Candidate said this?

Re: a female judge ruling against his policies “your safety and the safety of your kids is now in the hands of some woman who does not have the expertise to do it.”
Which 2020 Presidential candidate said this?

“I know for a fact that any self-respecting woman who walks past a construction site and doesn’t get a whistle will turn around and walk past again and again until she does get one.”
Which 2020 Presidential candidate said the following?

“Do you pay a lot to make your hair be two colors? Because now it's three with the gray.'

Testified that he wouldn't call the rape allegation genuine unless there was "an unimpeachable third-party witness."
Which 2020 Presidential candidate said the following?

- "If you looked like that, I would do you in a second."

- Told female employee to “Kill it!” when she informed him she was pregnant.
Which 2020 Presidential candidate described sexual harassment lawsuits as the follow?

- “If you don't give me what I want, I'm going to make a fuss." Lawsuits
Which 2020 Presidential Candidate said the following about rape allegations?

Testified that he wouldn't call the rape allegation genuine unless there was "an unimpeachable third-party witness."

And other sexual misconduct allegations
“I don’t know how true all of it is"
Which 2020 Presidential candidate suggested the following to female employees?

- "If I were a woman, I would wear high heels."
- "What is the guy dumb and blind? What the hell is he marrying you for?”
Which Presidential candidate suggested of a highly functional computer?

“does everything, including blowjobs. I guess, that puts a lot of you girls out of business.”
Answer to All despite the Trumpian tone: Michael Bloomberg. And the next thread will be similar statements on race and ethnicity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:03 PM   #1263
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was at the RNC and gave a speech in support of GWB in 2004. Dude is a chameleon.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #1264
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

You may want to start at the farthest point but you got to win the presidential election first. That farthest point cant take you out of the game

And sure Kennedy died but Mass elected a Republican to replace him showing that even they didn't go for healthcare.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 PM   #1265
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

And yeah Bloomberg is gross. I cant believe the moral high ground democrats would back him.

Old 02-13-2020, 05:41 PM   #1266
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Bloomberg is going to cost the Democrats the election.

Everyone needs to get behind Sanders right away or they won't have a chance.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:02 PM   #1267
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

That's a silly and simplistic analysis. Any Democratic nominee is going to have an excellent chance of beating Trump.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to driveway For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 07:00 PM   #1268
Rubicant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
That's a silly and simplistic analysis. Any Democratic nominee is going to have an excellent chance of beating Trump.
Maybe I’m overly pessimistic but I think it’s more likely that trump gets re-elected no matter who the dem candidate is.
Rubicant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #1269
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Man Bloomberg might be grosser than Trump
He also blamed blacks for causing the 2008 financial crisis... the guy is out of touch with the regular American not to mention racist. He'll never get the youth or minority votes needed to become President. His campaign does nothing but divide Democrats and amounts to tax avoidance and ego stroking.
Quote:
Michael R. Bloomberg, the Democratic presidential candidate and former mayor of New York City, drew criticism on Thursday over newly surfaced comments from the height of the 2008 financial crisis in which he said that the end of redlining, a discriminatory housing practice, had helped contribute to the economic collapse.

Mr. Bloomberg has increasingly faced scrutiny over his record on race, including earlier this week after the re-emergence of remarks he made in 2015 about stop-and-frisk policing, a tactic that his administration used disproportionately against black people and Latinos and that he defended for years.

In newly resurfaced comments from a Georgetown University forum in September 2008, he pointed a finger toward the ending of a discriminatory practice against black Americans known as redlining.

"It all started back when there was a lot of pressure on banks to make loans to everyone," the billionaire said at the time. "Redlining, if you remember, was the term where banks took whole neighborhoods and said, 'People in these neighborhoods are poor, they're not going to be able to pay off their mortgages, tell your salesmen don't go into those areas.'"

Redlining refers to a historical government-backed practice designed to segregate black Americans into separate neighborhoods and bar them from access to home loans.

He went on: "And then Congress got involved — local elected officials, as well — and said, 'Oh that's not fair, these people should be able to get credit.' And once you started pushing in that direction, banks started making more and more loans where the credit of the person buying the house wasn't as good as you would like."

Bloomberg is accurate that risky loans helped spark the crisis, but experts since the crash have said communities of color were often the targets of predatory lending.

"It's been well documented that the 2008 crash was caused by unethical, predatory lending that deliberately targeted communities of color," said Debra Gore-Mann, the president and CEO of the progressive nonprofit Greenlining Institute, told the Associated Press, which first reported the remarks.

“Redlining specifically targeted black and brown communities and has been part of all the ways in which systemic exclusion from wealth and income has hit communities of color,” said Rashad Robinson, president of the civil rights group Color of Change.

“The fact that he and his campaign would try to redefine this rather than talk about how they’re going to solve it speaks to not just a level of tone-deafness about this moment that we are in, but a really deep dismissal of the pain that has caused so many families and so many communities,” he said.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/u...redlining.html

Last edited by FlameOn; 02-13-2020 at 08:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 10:12 PM   #1270
Mathgod
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on some of the stuff I've been reading on Twitter, I'm afraid that a 2nd Trump term might be a near certainty. The general sentiment among progressives is that they'll be very reluctant to vote for a centrist like Bloomberg or Biden in the general. Likewise, centrists will be very reluctant to vote for a progressive like Bernie in the general.

However, Twitter is Twitter, and there's no guarantee that it's an accurate representation of the pulse of Democratic voters in general. Fingers crossed that there will be party unity when the time comes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
Someone said it best here.

The message Sanders sells is "life sucks, the system is rigged against you, I'll make your life a bit better if you vote for me but systemic oppression means you're still ####ed", is not one people can get super excited about. It's just not.

That's not his message, but nice try.

Last edited by Mathgod; 02-13-2020 at 10:21 PM.
Mathgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mathgod For This Useful Post:
Old 02-13-2020, 10:57 PM   #1271
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Holy cow, I had just written off Bloomberg automatically- I had no idea he was such an asshat.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:54 PM   #1272
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The question is, is day to day life really worse off for the average american (you) over the last 4 years?
Enough to move to what Bernie is selling?

With the economy the way it is and unemployment at 3.5%, I can't see this swing for change enough to win the presidency.

Trump is a solid favorite now. close to -200 with the bookies.

Old 02-14-2020, 06:51 AM   #1273
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Trump definitely should be a pretty solid favorite, the Dems don't have a nominee who has an easy path, every Dem nominee has to overcome a significant hurdle to win. While I keep saying Bernie's only shot is the economy tanking, it's really the best shot for all of the Dem nominees. It's interesting to see how much Bloomberg is surging on the betting markets even with all of his baggage. If he was in the race from the start he might be the actual frontrunner right now.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:03 AM   #1274
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like if they weren’t political Trump and Bloomberg could be best friends. I could see them hanging in a bar drinking expensive Scotch and spewing racist, misogynist bullcrap.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #1275
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I feel like if they weren’t political Trump and Bloomberg could be best friends. I could see them hanging in a bar drinking expensive Scotch and spewing racist, misogynist bullcrap.
They used to golf together.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #1276
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

To me it is hilarious how some Democrats are actually supporting Bloomberg while they've been yelling and screaming at Trump and all his 'issues' the past 3 years.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 10:19 AM   #1277
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Trump definitely should be a pretty solid favorite, the Dems don't have a nominee who has an easy path, every Dem nominee has to overcome a significant hurdle to win. While I keep saying Bernie's only shot is the economy tanking, it's really the best shot for all of the Dem nominees. It's interesting to see how much Bloomberg is surging on the betting markets even with all of his baggage. If he was in the race from the start he might be the actual frontrunner right now.
$350Million will buy you a lot of ads, he's trying to buy the stupid vote. I'm sure if it looks like hes faltering he'll just throw more money at it.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:33 PM   #1278
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
$350Million will buy you a lot of ads, he's trying to buy the stupid vote. I'm sure if it looks like hes faltering he'll just throw more money at it.
Yes, I'm sure he is the one releasing all of this, get the baggage out of the way before the opposition does
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:01 PM   #1279
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
To me it is hilarious how some Democrats are actually supporting Bloomberg while they've been yelling and screaming at Trump and all his 'issues' the past 3 years.
Name recognition is a thing and unless you're interested in politics and care to look into the candidates, a surface level awareness of a candidate will get the vote over an unknown.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 01:02 PM   #1280
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

This #### is getting hilarious.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...faa_story.html

Quote:
The Iowa caucuses fiasco robbed Buttigieg of the impact of his victory there. But it was a startling performance by a young, relatively inexperienced candidate whose strongest message has been the impracticality of social programs proposed by Sanders and other progressives.

While Sanders, the independent senator from Vermont, posted a win Tuesday in New Hampshire, the bigger stories there, arguably, were Buttigieg’s strong second-place showing and Klobuchar’s breakout performance in finishing third. The two moderates together carried 44.2 percent of the vote, compared with Sanders’s 25.8 percent. Even if you add Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren’s 9.2 percent to Sanders’s total, the balance is toward the center, not the left.
rubecube is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post: