Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-23-2020, 03:57 PM   #1621
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Tour de Quarantine...

Stage 1:

https://twitter.com/bradsohner/statu...15124974936073

Stage 2: was today
https://twitter.com/bradsohner/statu...67760374976512
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 05:00 PM   #1622
cral12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Pulled the trigger on a new fatbike, i.e. Zombie Apocolypse Escape Vehicle.

Went with Trek Farley 7 and couldn't be happier.

The colour Roarage is apparently COVID19 repellant as well ; )

Picked it up at Ridleys - Okotoks location had one I wanted in stock, so picked up there. Great parking options compared to Kensington and couple of cool lads working in the store.
Now that I (temporarily) quenched my BASS (Bike Acquisition Search Syndrome), time to move on to PASS (Parts Acquisition Search Syndrome).

Any fav fatbike/bike accessories?
(could be frame bags, mudguards, etc - looking for brands, where you bought from, etc).

Thanks!

Last edited by cral12; 03-24-2020 at 07:18 PM.
cral12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2020, 11:46 PM   #1623
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope other bicycle shops across Canada are taking this as serious. I work in one of the Best shops in all of Canada and this is how we are moving foreward.

How we are operating.

When the store is "open", the front door will still be locked. A sign on the door advises customers to call ahead and make an appointment for a
particular purchase( no browsing) or to book a repair. This is to control the flow of people in the store and to make sure we manage physical distancing. We have been telling people they must stay 2m away from us and our patrons.
Repairs are confined to emergency situations only such as flat tire, broken cable, etc.
No Full tune ups
Electric conversion will still take place but will be at our discretion if the person absolutely needs this done. Ie: healthy young person vs older person etc etc..
As of Tuesday we will be providing hand sanitizer and customers will be asked to wear gloves before handling Items.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2020, 11:52 PM   #1624
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cral12 View Post
Not that I (temporarily) quenched my BASS (Bike Acquisition Search Syndrome), time to move on to PASS (Parts Acquisition Search Syndrome).

Any fav fatbike/bike accessories?
(could be frame bags, mudguards, etc - looking for brands, where you bought from, etc).

Thanks!
I'm a fatbiker ( well I have 12 different kinds of bike)
And a professional mechanic.

I am willing to help out anyone on this page going forward if they need advice or help troubleshooting a particular issue if the local shops start to close. I mainly would like to focus on questions from people who depend on transportation but can help with other things too.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to combustiblefuel For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 03:31 PM   #1625
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

solid choice on the farley cral.

I was toying witht he idea of a gravel gridner for my commuting purposes. I looked at the following rigs:

trek checkpoint: https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...5-345561-1.htm - i am not super keen on the red accents though

giant revolt: https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...2-363582-1.htm - i like the frame on this one and some of the details like integrated chain and down tube protectors. Not keen on the beige color though, but like the grey. also not keen on the blue color

also saw this one online and to me it a nice looking unit: https://www.bowcycle.com/product/cub...blue-13897.htm

but since i have enver bought anything at Bow, and they seem to be the only Cube retailer, i doubt i could get a better price.

of course since i am not riding to work and the showers there are closed right now, i have no urgency to go and buy one.

i may put this off until next year
Old 03-24-2020, 05:39 PM   #1626
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
solid choice on the farley cral.

I was toying witht he idea of a gravel gridner for my commuting purposes. I looked at the following rigs:

trek checkpoint: https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...5-345561-1.htm - i am not super keen on the red accents though

giant revolt: https://www.thebikeshop.com/product/...2-363582-1.htm - i like the frame on this one and some of the details like integrated chain and down tube protectors. Not keen on the beige color though, but like the grey. also not keen on the blue color

also saw this one online and to me it a nice looking unit: https://www.bowcycle.com/product/cub...blue-13897.htm

but since i have enver bought anything at Bow, and they seem to be the only Cube retailer, i doubt i could get a better price.

of course since i am not riding to work and the showers there are closed right now, i have no urgency to go and buy one.

i may put this off until next year
Always wondered what the etiquette is like for getting something below MSRP on bikes?

I've been pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Revolt Advanced 2 but the whole Coronavirus thing makes me not want to go bug people in bike shops for test rides, just staying home
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ahuch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #1627
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

tomorrow on zwift
11am ride with Andre Greipel
12:30 ride with Fabian Cancellera
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2020, 07:11 PM   #1628
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have bought a lot of bikes at the bike shop south, so I expect 15% off automatically. I used to get more when my guy was there but unfortunately my guy is no longer there.

I don’t really want to start a new relationship with another shop, so I will likely continue to go there.

What color are you going with on the revolt?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahuch View Post
Always wondered what the etiquette is like for getting something below MSRP on bikes?

I've been pretty close to pulling the trigger on the Revolt Advanced 2 but the whole Coronavirus thing makes me not want to go bug people in bike shops for test rides, just staying home
Old 03-24-2020, 07:54 PM   #1629
Ahuch
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I have bought a lot of bikes at the bike shop south, so I expect 15% off automatically. I used to get more when my guy was there but unfortunately my guy is no longer there.

I don’t really want to start a new relationship with another shop, so I will likely continue to go there.

What color are you going with on the revolt?
That blue color just looks awful, so the gray beige. I found it looked a bit better in person but probably a pain to keep clean haha
Ahuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2020, 08:32 PM   #1630
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
tomorrow on zwift
Yesterday I did a workout ride with Justin Williams 11X US National Champ

Tomorrow at 7pm there's one with Lachlan Morton. He won GBDURO (2,000km race in 6 days) last year and rides with EF Education First.

Last edited by KTrain; 03-24-2020 at 08:35 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 04:53 PM   #1631
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
tomorrow on zwift
Even though I did a workout ride in the morning, I decided to do part of the ride with Fabian Cancellera just to say I did.

So I did, and it was kinda neat I guess. It didn’t look like he was doing a hard ride though, just cruising at low power.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 05:00 PM   #1632
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably good that he cruised at low power. Pro-cyclists are at a whole different level than us mere mortals.I came across this one earlier this week: how long can you hold 400+ watts of power.

Ironhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ironhorse For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 05:21 PM   #1633
Ryan Coke
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah, absolutely. It was just funny watching a bunch of people (including me) hauling ass off the start (like we are going to impress him or something), then I ended up watching him for a bit....he was like 490 out of 900 (though I think he started late), and wasn’t passing anyone, just cruising along at like 2.2 watts per kilo.

But of course, when you are really elite at something, you don’t need to prove anything.
Ryan Coke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2020, 06:24 PM   #1634
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

He did a weekly ride last year and I did that. He would lead, and I would blow up trying to keep up with the lead group. It ads a neat element to zwift and I like that you can ask questions of them.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2020, 06:29 PM   #1635
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

I did the Geraint Thomas ride earlier this year. It was a gong show. 6000+ people in one ride all together. I couldn't keep track of the conversation because it was moving too quickly.

With 1km to go Thomas was at the very back and then just took off. Dropped everyone.

It's too bad the season is pretty much done but it's great to see them doing rides like these to keep the fans engaged.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 07:45 AM   #1636
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

on saturday i rode my fat bike down to the office to pick up some stuff i have had sitting there - 25k is a very long ride on a fat bike.

riding the path's was a little frustrating as saturday was still cool and there were ice floes on the pathway. Was really hard to get into a rhythm becasue you would have to slow down. Sometime in the next week or so i need to get my commuter out and tuned so i can think about doing longer rides more enjoyably.
Old 03-30-2020, 07:56 AM   #1637
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
on saturday i rode my fat bike down to the office to pick up some stuff i have had sitting there - 25k is a very long ride on a fat bike.

riding the path's was a little frustrating as saturday was still cool and there were ice floes on the pathway. Was really hard to get into a rhythm becasue you would have to slow down. Sometime in the next week or so i need to get my commuter out and tuned so i can think about doing longer rides more enjoyably.
Yeah, found the same thing. I took my road bike out for the first time on Saturday for 50k and it was much colder than the forecast predicted. Ice floes everywhere on the paths, which killed the rhythm, but the actual roads were totally fine.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 08:46 AM   #1638
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Yeah, my Sunday path ride should have been a road ride. It was warmer than Saturday but the puddles were massive. Lots of people out there as well and we were all avoiding the lakes.
Old 03-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #1639
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

hey guys, last year I did a bike trip in south america and i finally put a video together about it if anyone is interested:

worth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to worth For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2020, 09:33 AM   #1640
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by worth View Post
hey guys, last year I did a bike trip in south america and i finally put a video together about it if anyone is interested:

That was spectacular. I'm super jealous.