Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Was the suspension length
Too leniant 6 1.15%
Just right 133 25.43%
Too severe 384 73.42%
Voters: 523. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #281
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
HF is notoriously pro-oiler anti Calgary
Sounds like a tin foil hat defence to me. I see no evidence of that in all my time reading that board. Sure there are going to be Oiler and Canuck fans who vote because it is a heated rival but explain the other 95% of them who have no vested interest in the Calgary Flames nor Dennis Wideman who think the NHL got it right?
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #282
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume Wideman is still unable to play if he appeals? I know in other sports he would be allowed to play during an appeal but I don't think that is the case in the NHL. Can someone confirm?

Old 02-03-2016, 01:09 PM   #283
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone else wondering if the magnitude of suspension is at least partially politically motivated? With the impending CTE lawsuits against the NHL, this move is very supportive to their defensive stance that they are indeed taking steps towards injury prevention in general.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #284
IamNotKenKing
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I don't believe you. I completely accept that you disagree, and I can understand why, but I very sincerely doubt that you don't see how the incident could be viewed as intentional. The video evidence most definitely raises the possibility that Wideman's actions were intentional.
You can't not believe my interpretation. All you can do is disagree with it.

I don't see any way this could be deemed "deliberate with intent to injure". It makes no sense to me, and I can't see how they came to that finding.
The Following User Says Thank You to IamNotKenKing For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:11 PM   #285
codynw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuclearFart View Post
Anyone else wondering if the magnitude of suspension is at least partially politically motivated? With the impending CTE lawsuits against the NHL, this move is very supportive to their defensive stance that they are indeed taking steps towards injury prevention in general.
The fact that they suspended a player 20 games for hitting a ref doesn't really help their CTE lawsuit case when they only give 3 games for blatant hits to the head on players.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #286
Meers
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I would have preferred to see 10 games, but I see the reasoning behind 20 games and can live with that.

What I can't live with is players cross-checking officials. So, avoid the officials next time.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #287
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Sounds like a tin foil hat defence to me. I see no evidence of that in all my time reading that board. Sure there are going to be Oiler and Canuck fans who vote because it is a heated rival but explain the other 95% of them who have no vested interest in the Calgary Flames nor Dennis Wideman who think the NHL got it right?
Well the Flames community on HF is very small relative to most other fan bases (including the Coyotes, Panthers, etc.) because of the existence of CP.

No other fan base has a forum like this.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:12 PM   #288
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNotKenKing View Post
No need to call people idiots.

My read of the rule is this:
Minimum of 10 if deliberate physical contact without intent to injure.
Minimum of 20 if deliberate physical contact with intent to injure.

If it is accidental contact, then no penalty.

I don't understand how the league felt he had intent to injure.
I can see how it was an accident, and also see how it could be deemed deliberate physical contact without intent. I don't think either makes me an idiot.
Watch the video... Wideman did a complete follow through with his hit. It wasn't malicious which is why 20 games seems absurd. But it was most definitely deliberate. Whether or not he was dazed is only relevant when discussing intent to injure.

Accidental contact would be something like if he skated backwards into the ref just like the ref was skating backwards towards him. Not when a very deliberate looking check was made to the back of a ref.

Honestly I think it would of been 10 games if they did proper concussion protocol after the hit. Even if he was fine it would of helped his argument and they would have had a stronger case.

Last edited by Bandwagon In Flames; 02-03-2016 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:13 PM   #289
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyguy15 View Post
Ok Diss, I am the troll here. You make a silly claim, I say stop because it isn't true. You make you "obvious is obvious" comment and roll your eyes like a 16 year old. Then you give a nice patronizing retraction.

But you're probably right, I am the jerk on this one Have a good one.
Ok, I obviously worded it poorly. In the end what I was meaning is I think the majority of posters on here are voting with their hearts and love for the team, not with a truly objective view or what all the evidence shows. The fact that the poll here is such a runaway of too many games and the huge defence of the players actions compared to the views of the rest of the hockey world seem to validate my point.
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:14 PM   #290
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Neither does Weber despite laying out an official with an open-ice hit where he left his feet. Or Muzzin who clipped one by accident. Players play to the whistle.
You play to the whistle when chasing a puck or making a play, sure, but skating semi-dazed to the bench and accidentally levelling a linesman isn't a big hockey play he was trying to complete. I don't really buy that he was too rushed to avoid a too many men penalty to stop, since he could have looked over when he got to the bench and apologized, or checked to see the guy was okay. He just got to the bench and looked down like nothing happened.

Not much of an argument when the NHL clearly agrees the others weren't suspension worthy at all and this one got the harshest categorization.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #291
Super-Rye
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm in the camp that thinks that Wideman's hit was an accident. I figured 10 games would be the right number. It would show that, yes the NHL saw it as an accident, but still be long enough to send a message to the players that says "Guys, you have to be aware of everyone when you're on the ice."

And seeing as Wideman has been pretty bad at times this year I didn't even care that'd he would be suspended. More play time for someone younger.

But 20 games is far too extreme. It basically says that the NHL believes that Wideman did this on purpose, and damn his past history, reputation and squeeky clean record.

The NHL isn't this hard on blockheads with bad reputations. (Carcillo straight up punched a ref got 6 playoff games)

I feel bad for Wideman. The man got caught in a bad situation that literally could have happened to anyone, and now his reputation is being dragged through the mud. That, in my opinion, isn't fair.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Super-Rye For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #292
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Well the Flames community on HF is very small relative to most other fan bases (including the Coyotes, Panthers, etc.) because of the existence of CP.

No other fan base has a forum like this.
Exactly. So we should get a reasonable unbiased result from that board, correct?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:15 PM   #293
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The NHL obviously does not agree that this was an unfortunate accident, or that this was a simple collision between a player and an official who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. From the decision, we should safely conclude that they do not deem this an incident of Wideman's recklessness.

I get that people are upset, and I understand that there are still people who are convinced this was nothing more than an unfortunate accident. But people are pretending that the NHL made an incredulous decision here in clear contradiction of the evidence. This is quite simply not true. The hearing was over 90 mins in length, in which the league heard and carefully examined multiple sides of what happened. They listened to multiple testimonies regarding the incident, and quite obviously have determined from all of this—to which none of us is privy—that Wideman's actions constitute deliberate behaviour.

Yes, it is your prerogative to disagree, but can we please stop ignoring the fact that the League's interpretation of the event is an entirely reasonable one—especially given their access to evidence and testimony that none of the rest of us has seen or heard.
I agree with most of this, which sounds like I'm backtracking - but I'm not. I still think that Wideman didn't act intentionally, and should have gotten no suspension at all.

But - if the league rules that he did act intentionally, which they must have done, they pretty much have to impose a huge penalty. I think I said yesterday, their intellectually honest choice was either no games or a huge suspension. They went with the latter.

Of course, there is plenty of room for the cynical view that they went high expecting an appeal to lower the penalty, in which case they can wash their hands of it with respect to the public, the officials and the media.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:16 PM   #294
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
To me, this one is more comparable. Muzzin sees an unsuspecting referee way in advance
That is in no way comparable, there is very little room and Muzzin is going for the puck, its a hockey play. Widemen had tons of room to go around and there is no play to be made.

I think its a fair judgement by the league, they needed to set an example. If Wideman wants to challenge it then he can do so.

Do the Flames have to pay his salary while suspended?
Old 02-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #295
Bandwagon In Flames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
To be fair, HF has around 4x more Oiler fans. Oilers and Canucks don't have their own version of CP so they greatly outnumber Flames fans.

I don't think any other fanbase gangs up on the Flames though, typically the opposite. Hating on the Oilers has been the trendy thing to do and deservedly so.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #296
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Ok, I obviously worded it poorly. In the end what I was meaning is I think the majority of posters on here are voting with their hearts and love for the team, not with a truly objective view or what all the evidence shows. The fact that the poll here is such a runaway of too many games and the huge defence of the players actions compared to the views of the rest of the hockey world seem to validate my point.
You claimed you knew how Wideman was or wasn't feeling during the incident.

You claimed you know how people would react if it was an opposing team's player in this situation.

Aren't you the guy that's a cop? That's honestly really scary. You need to dial it down a notch on proclaiming what others think and feel.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:17 PM   #297
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Exactly. So we should get a reasonable unbiased result from that board, correct?
Well 99% of them are of the opinion that anyone of thinks that it shouldn't be a lengthy suspension is an absolute idiot homer, so most are afraid to even say anything.

A lot of group think goes on over there. I don't think it's any less biases than this forum.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:18 PM   #298
foshizzle11
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow, I am surprised. I thought 10 games was extensive. I don't think he did that on purpose, ie he didn't go out of his way to hurt that official.

This isn't the right message to send. When a play hurts another player with the intent to injure, they should get 20 games. This is a joke IMO.

The comments about Wideman should have taken out his frustration on another player and he wouldn't get 20 games is exactly right.

Bad NHL, sorry but this isn't great.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #299
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashasx View Post
well the flames community on hf is very small relative to most other fan bases (including the coyotes, panthers, etc.) because of the existence of cp.

No other fan base has a forum an echo chamber like this.
fyp

Should have been 10, but it will be after an appeal anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
Old 02-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #300
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
on HF it is debatable if JG is better than Yakapov so...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread