Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-28-2016, 09:42 AM   #141
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
No it's not but by the time you buy the kits and everything it works out to the same price or more. Why not just support a local company?
Because they are charging $199 for their system that plays NES/SNES/N64 games. The video I posted allows you to create an identical looking system that plays those games (and more) for around $50.
mdubz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mdubz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2016, 10:24 AM   #142
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Because they are charging $199 for their system that plays NES/SNES/N64 games. The video I posted allows you to create an identical looking system that plays those games (and more) for around $50.
That doesn't have a fan on it so it will most likely not play n64 games that well like in their video. Also doesn't come with controllers.

People keep saying you can build a RaspPi for 50 bucks but everywhere I price it out it is over a $100 anyways. You can buy that identical from Allcade for $99 and comes with a controller. So that is essentially $80.00 for the Rasp kit. You could also just buy the unsoldered kit and build yourself for $40.00 bucks from Allcade including Nintendo case (no power supply) which seems like a steal of a deal if you have the know how to do that while again supporting a local company. Again I am new to this so I have no real idea the costs of these kits just that when I search I can't find these $50.00 kits that the internet keeps telling me about.

Last edited by fundmark19; 12-28-2016 at 10:30 AM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:25 AM   #143
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

The allcade is actually a better deal because it includes a controller. The canakit does not have a controller included.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 01:48 PM   #144
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
That doesn't have a fan on it so it will most likely not play n64 games that well like in their video. Also doesn't come with controllers.

People keep saying you can build a RaspPi for 50 bucks but everywhere I price it out it is over a $100 anyways. You can buy that identical from Allcade for $99 and comes with a controller. So that is essentially $80.00 for the Rasp kit. You could also just buy the unsoldered kit and build yourself for $40.00 bucks from Allcade including Nintendo case (no power supply) which seems like a steal of a deal if you have the know how to do that while again supporting a local company. Again I am new to this so I have no real idea the costs of these kits just that when I search I can't find these $50.00 kits that the internet keeps telling me about.
Again, the Allcade for $99 only plays NES games... no SNES, no N64, no Sega, etc.

You don't need the more expensive CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 for this. You can do this all with a Raspberry Pi 2 for $40 (https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-...raspberry+pi+2) which runs RetroPi. You can buy controllers for $10-20. Then you can follow the instructions in the video I posted, and there you go, an Allcade that plays everything for a fraction of the cost.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:01 PM   #145
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdubz View Post
Again, the Allcade for $99 only plays NES games... no SNES, no N64, no Sega, etc.

You don't need the more expensive CanaKit Raspberry Pi 3 for this. You can do this all with a Raspberry Pi 2 for $40 (https://www.amazon.com/Raspberry-Pi-...raspberry+pi+2) which runs RetroPi. You can buy controllers for $10-20. Then you can follow the instructions in the video I posted, and there you go, an Allcade that plays everything for a fraction of the cost.
You still need memory card and power supply and shipping which will add to your costs. At the end of the day you are saving almost $0.00 not including putting your time into building it.

My point is why not support a local company when the savings margins are negligible by doing it yourself (unless you are a big electronic hobbyist or have spare parts kicking around).
Old 12-28-2016, 02:06 PM   #146
mdubz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You still need memory card and power supply and shipping which will add to your costs. At the end of the day you are saving almost $0.00 not including putting your time into building it.

My point is why not support a local company when the savings margins are negligible by doing it yourself (unless you are a big electronic hobbyist or have spare parts kicking around).
Add a power supply and memory card for $20 combined. Shipping is free. So, in the end, you're paying around $60-70 vs $200 for their version that plays all 3 systems.

I'm all about supporting local businesses. However, they are charging over double for something that can be easily re-created by anyone (even with no electronics experience).
Old 12-28-2016, 02:28 PM   #147
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even if I were to be lazy and buy a kit and a controller I'm looking at $125... Pretty sure $75 is not a savings of almost $0.00
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 02:47 PM   #148
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctajones428 View Post
Even if I were to be lazy and buy a kit and a controller I'm looking at $125... Pretty sure $75 is not a savings of almost $0.00
I was comparing with his 16 bit. N64 isn't great on retropi from what I can find without tweaking settings which isn't user friendly for your average person. They claim and show that their software works better for processing games. So if this is true $75.00 bucks to not be frustrated while playing the games is well worth it for me since I bought this to play with wife and kids as well who want it to just work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sft5...EntGQ_kI1yrPxa
Old 12-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #149
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
I just ordered this kit from Amazon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01CCF6V3A

Best price I could find that had everything included. Gonna install RetroPie on it and pair it with a couple of these for the perfect mini-console

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B002B9XB0E
The kit I posted is cheaper, I've got both the Canakit and the Landzo, and both came quick (5 days vs. 12 days), worth saving the $25 IMO
Aleks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 04:11 PM   #150
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleks View Post
The kit I posted is cheaper, I've got both the Canakit and the Landzo, and both came quick (5 days vs. 12 days), worth saving the $25 IMO
I wasn't going to bother canceling my order until I saw the free shipping part in that package, whereas mine is $15 for the shipping. Put in a request to cancel teh Canakit, hopefully that goes through and then I'll order the Landzo
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 06:27 PM   #151
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Amazon is good for that. If it hasn't shipped, it should be no problem.
I thought the Landzo came from China, which would be 30 days delivery, no?
Active Tech has store in Calgary. Could pick up there, or it would be shipped from there I would think?
Its $79 including case, power supply and 16gb card.
http://www.active123.com/8316561RK-R...-Prodview.html
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 09:52 PM   #152
Aleks
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Amazon is good for that. If it hasn't shipped, it should be no problem.
I thought the Landzo came from China, which would be 30 days delivery, no?
Active Tech has store in Calgary. Could pick up there, or it would be shipped from there I would think?
Its $79 including case, power supply and 16gb card.
http://www.active123.com/8316561RK-R...-Prodview.html
I ordered mine Nov 28 and it showed up on the 10th or 11th. I actually think the case included with the landzo is nicer than the one with the cana as well.

I hadn't seen that active one before, I even looked there before I started buying them. That's a decent deal, the only thing you aren't getting is a nicer case and no heat sinks I think
Old 12-28-2016, 10:30 PM   #153
Millertime
Backup Goalie

Exp:

The one at active tech comes with a 16gb sd card... the pi3 needs micro sd. I just finished putting mine together. Am using ps3 remotes connected with usb.
Millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 08:54 AM   #154
Raekwon
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
The one at active tech comes with a 16gb sd card... the pi3 needs micro sd. I just finished putting mine together. Am using ps3 remotes connected with usb.
just curious, why aren't you using Bluetooth and going wireless?
Raekwon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 06:01 PM   #155
Millertime
Backup Goalie

Exp:

With ps3 remotes there are issues using more than one remote with bluetooth.
Millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 09:58 PM   #156
silentsim
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertime View Post
With ps3 remotes there are issues using more than one remote with bluetooth.

using 2 DS4's, i have no issues. is this issue exclusively to DS3 or is it a configuration issue?
silentsim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2016, 10:17 PM   #157
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Any Nintendo Mini spottings, nerds?
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:27 AM   #158
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

If anyone has one of these make sure you have your TV in game mode or it'll lag.

Played it in game mode and loved it. I don't think I'll turn on another console for a while.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:25 AM   #159
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Any Nintendo Mini spottings, nerds?
I've spotted plenty of nerds but no NES Classics.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #160
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
If anyone has one of these make sure you have your TV in game mode or it'll lag.

Played it in game mode and loved it. I don't think I'll turn on another console for a while.
Even with game mode it will still lag a bit. I heard Mike Tyson Punchout is unbeatable on the mini because of the lag, but I could be wrong.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote