Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-25-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Buying a laptop

So I've decided to take the plunge and get a laptop, I plan on doing a lot of traveling this year and having a laptop on hand seems really handy. Just a few questions for the brain trust @ CP:

• For travel purposes, do you find that as long as you have a sufficient bag a 17" laptop is worth the extra bulk?
  • If you have a PC as your main computer does having a macbook pro make any sense? Or will I inevitably be selling my PC and getting another mac or some stupid junk like that?

I really want, ideally, a 15 inch laptop or smaller with a really nice screen and a dedicated video card (although I wont game on it so I'm not sure how important that really is then). I saw this at bestbuy the other day and let me tell you it was absolutely top notch screen quality. It looked just as good as a freaking mac (clear and glossy, I love the gloss I admit). If I could find a 15 inch or smaller with that quality of screen I'd happily get it but so far the only luck I've had is with a macbook. Help!
theonlywhiteout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:37 PM   #2
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

For a good screen Dell would be worth checking out - they usually have options to upgrade the monitor. My last Dell was a 15" with a glossy 1680x1050 resolution when that resolution was pretty rare - at the time it was outstanding. Now they've got LED backlit screens so you should be able to find the display you're looking for on a 15" there.

I've only had on 17" but I found the bulk to really make it a pain in the ass. Having a 13" MacBook Pro on a plane after lugging around my 17" for a year was like a revelation. 17" are more like a desktop replacement, not many are good for regular travel.

MickMcGeough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:46 PM   #3
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

My 17inch laptop really was a PITA for school, since you always had a text book or something to write on with it, and it got heavy pretty quick. It was a bit older though, and the power brick was actually a bit larger than an actual brick, so that didn't help.

I did like the size of it, but when it came down to it when I replaced it I went with a 15 inch model.
Old 12-25-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
secol
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

if you're traveling i'd recommend 15 or smaller not just because of the weight but also because of the battery life
secol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by secol View Post
if you're traveling i'd recommend 15 or smaller not just because of the weight but also because of the battery life
I'd echo that. What purpose are you looking for? I think something like 75% of battary life goes towards your screen. Also, unless you are a gamer, you don't need a super computer or anything. The worst spec computer is more than sufficient, but get a higher reliability brand that will last longer. The past decade has seen computers being replaced every 2 years, but I don't think thats the case anymore. The limit has been pushed and computers should be replaced less frequent now, replaced by smart phones and variations of iPad/Playbook (i.e. all semiconductor companies are all about low power mobile electronics, or at least thats what I see working in a semiconductors field)
Old 12-25-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phanuthier View Post
I'd echo that. What purpose are you looking for? I think something like 75% of battary life goes towards your screen. Also, unless you are a gamer, you don't need a super computer or anything. The worst spec computer is more than sufficient, but get a higher reliability brand that will last longer. The past decade has seen computers being replaced every 2 years, but I don't think thats the case anymore. The limit has been pushed and computers should be replaced less frequent now, replaced by smart phones and variations of iPad/Playbook (i.e. all semiconductor companies are all about low power mobile electronics, or at least thats what I see working in a semiconductors field)
My laptops primary function would be for surfing/emails/skyping, video and tv watching. No gaming at all, hell, I dont even game on my PC anymore. I want the nice screen almost soley because after seeing a high quality glossy screen in store I can't imagine settling for less. I agree on the brand thing, tho, I want an HP or an apple primarily. The apple thing has me a bit put off tho simply due to price.
Old 12-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #7
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Check out the HP Envy.

They're a bit pricey though too.

Seriously, if you aren't gaming, get an Apple. Find a good payment plan, they're worth every penny.

Old 12-25-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...(ME).aspx?cc=1

I'm hoping to pick this up tomorrow morning.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:39 PM   #9
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywhiteout View Post
My laptops primary function would be for surfing/emails/skyping, video and tv watching. No gaming at all, hell, I dont even game on my PC anymore. I want the nice screen almost soley because after seeing a high quality glossy screen in store I can't imagine settling for less. I agree on the brand thing, tho, I want an HP or an apple primarily. The apple thing has me a bit put off tho simply due to price.
Hey man, I just bought a MacBook pro and I travel for work and it has been great. You are paying a premium, but just love the size/weight/performance you get out of it.

Plus you can get windows and load it as well, if you require a specific program. I also got Microsoft Office 2011 for Mac, and it equals (and in some ways surpasses my other office Suite for 2007)

Just my two cents
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:41 PM   #10
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...(ME).aspx?cc=1

I'm hoping to pick this up tomorrow morning.
My dad just bought this rig (Way, way to much for him) and it is an absolute beast of a machine.

Warning on weight though...will feel like lugging around a piano if you have to travel with it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jbo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-bo09 View Post
My dad just bought this rig (Way, way to much for him) and it is an absolute beast of a machine.

Warning on weight though...will feel like lugging around a piano if you have to travel with it.
The performance is worth the weight. I'll be lugging it back and forth to fort mac.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:44 PM   #12
Jordan!
Jordan!

Exp:

As a first time owner of a Macbook I recommend the 13" Macbook pro. It's just so light and very powerful but it's not cheap at $1199
Jordan! is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jordan! For This Useful Post:
Jbo
Old 12-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #13
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by burn_this_city View Post
The performance is worth the weight. I'll be lugging it back and forth to fort mac.
Ya, it is a very cool rig...just wanted to point out the weight! Enjoy it! Hopefully the store is not madness. (Only done Mem Xpress once during boxing day...mad house)
Old 12-25-2010, 09:54 PM   #14
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

We're going at 7:30, I'm hoping its not horrible, but half expecting it will be.
Old 12-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #15
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a smart phone? If you do, I'd just use my smart phone for skype and actually go with an iPad - good battery life for a decent screen. Otherwise, I'd say its between HP, Sony and Asus (maybe someone knows more about reliability then me). Apples work too. Since you have movies, I'd actually even suggest getting a PC and putting Linux on there for better battary life. I think a PC+Linux on a HP/Sony/Asus with the lowest spec is your best bet. You don't need a super computer for what you are doing, the crappiest spec out there can still do more than enough for what you need. You should also actually get better battary life with slower computers, as power consumption is directly related to your clock frequency... as least theoretically from a circuits POV.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:00 PM   #16
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I think I'm leaning towards the 17 inch HP. While I don't love the idea of taking it around in an airport, etc, the screen quality of the LED is just as good as a mac and any screen I've seen on a computer/laptop (All for 750).
Old 01-05-2011, 03:43 PM   #17
theonlywhiteout
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Can some laptop people let me know what they think of the price on this?
http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/...8f5cef600aen02
Came down by 100 dollars just a week ago, and not on sale, just re priced. Is this thing worth 800? I was in store and I loved the screen, it was like a freakin macbook pro
Old 01-05-2011, 03:51 PM   #18
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Came down by 100 dollars just a week ago, and not on sale, just re priced. Is this thing worth 800? I was in store and I loved the screen, it was like a freakin macbook pro
I would recommend holding out while CES is on. Every laptop manufacturer has entire new lines with Intel's new Sandy Bridge CPUs. Once those hit the stores (should be within a week or so), you'll have a ton of new machines to choose from, and prices will probably drop a bit more on the old ones.

The Following User Says Thank You to MickMcGeough For This Useful Post:
Old 01-05-2011, 03:53 PM   #19
MickMcGeough
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Also, imo $800 is getting close to "premium" laptop range but this doesn't have any premium features after the LED backlighting (which isn't that uncommon anymore). Shouldn't you be able to get an i5, or a blu-ray player, or an SSD drive for that much?

Old 01-05-2011, 04:33 PM   #20
Ashartus
First Line Centre

Exp:

In terms of reliability, a recent survey found Asus to be the best and HP to be the worst: http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/17/l...-win-hp-fails/

Also be careful of really glossy screens - some of them are hard to use if there is light shining on them. I think they're better now than they were a few years ago though.

A 15-16" laptop is fine for most purposes. If you go bigger or smaller you usually end up paying extra. Also, for most uses you don't need an i7 (or even i5) processor, since most commonly used software can't even take advantage of them. You're probably better off getting an i3 processor (or equivalent) and getting extra RAM or other features for the same money in my opinion, based on what you say you'll be using it for.
Ashartus is offline   Reply With Quote