Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-01-2010, 05:48 PM   #21
Bob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Anything that provides more competition for the Canadian cell industry is good thing. No offense, but you guys have the most ######ed cell phone networks/plans I've ever seen.
Ironically, Roger's 6GB / month data plan (with free tethering!) for $30 is now far better than what AT&T offers. Prior to the iPhone, data in Canada was largely a wasteland of per-kilobyte charges and sub-100 MB pools.
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 06:56 PM   #22
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

Shaw has what no one other than Telus can offer in Western Canada, and that is bundling.

Rogers cant bundle and Bell cant bundle and Telus doesnt have the greatest reputation.

And when shaw starts advertising what you pay with your 3 year subsidized phone price people might start looking at the upfront cost of a phone as not that big of a deal. I know I dont.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:02 PM   #23
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Ironically, Roger's 6GB / month data plan (with free tethering!) for $30 is now far better than what AT&T offers. Prior to the iPhone, data in Canada was largely a wasteland of per-kilobyte charges and sub-100 MB pools.
Rogers has pretty good mobile internet stick prices too.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #24
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

My contract ends at the end of this year and I am looking forward to not signing into another contract......ever again if I can help it. I should of went with pay as you go right from the beginning.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:42 PM   #25
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Shaw has what no one other than Telus can offer in Western Canada, and that is bundling.

Rogers cant bundle and Bell cant bundle and Telus doesnt have the greatest reputation.
Bell does bundle a bit: Bell TV + Bell Mobility.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM   #26
FurnaceFace
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
7-11 speakout. Pay as you go and $10/month unlimited data. Beat that.

Hockey is just a game the way ice cream is just glucose, love is just
a feeling, and sex is just repetitive motion.

___________________________________- A Theory of Ice
FurnaceFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 10:14 PM   #27
CFENT
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykalberta View Post
Keep in mind SHAW will be using the crappy AWS 1700mhz spectrum. That means no iphone and lack of many other high end phones. Anyone who works in the industry know that no iphone is bad for business.
CFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 04:03 AM   #28
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFENT View Post
Keep in mind SHAW will be using the crappy AWS 1700mhz spectrum. That means no iphone and lack of many other high end phones. Anyone who works in the industry know that no iphone is bad for business.
That's what I figured. Same AWS part of the spectrum that Wind is on. So basically, you can only use the phones that Wind support on Shaw.

I guessed that since the main spectrum is monopolized by Rogers, Bell and Telus. And the phone manufacturers are in no rush to make their phones work on AWS.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #29
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Where does this plan exist?

Rogers website has a plan for 500MB at $25 per month and a $30 plan at 1GB, plus a flex rate plan. These plans are worse than AT&T.

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...&category=data
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM   #30
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

That would explain why they're looking for developers and RF people like crazy..

Last edited by kermitology; 07-27-2010 at 05:18 PM.
kermitology is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 AM   #31
Jackpot_Smooth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFENT View Post
Before, when rogers was the only one to have the iphone, trying to grind with telus was easy, all you had to say was "iPhone" and they'd pretty much give you anything you wanted in order to retain your business.
Jackpot_Smooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 12:15 PM   #32
Devils'Advocate
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burninator View Post
Where does this plan exist?
It doesn't. It was a limited time offer that a lot of us jumped on. But it expires in 2011 when they likely will demand that those of us that have it must relinquish it and choose one of their much worse options.
Devils'Advocate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 01:24 PM   #33
REDVAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils'Advocate View Post
It doesn't. It was a limited time offer that a lot of us jumped on. But it expires in 2011 when they likely will demand that those of us that have it must relinquish it and choose one of their much worse options.
The plan only changes if you re-new a contract and they don't give you that deal anymore. If you use that much data, then buying a new phone outright, and maybe trying to change the voiceplan if need be would be the route you're going to take anyway.
Old 02-01-2011, 01:37 PM   #34
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Didn't see any news on this, thought I'd revive this thread. Looks like shaw wireless will be delayed till 2012. Shaw is new to the wireless network game, so I had doubts they would be ready by 2011. Many of my clients are on the same Spectrum network, so we've seen the growing pains and the length of time involved. I thought Shaw was being too ambitious about their network.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1868967/

Quote:
Shaw Communications Inc. said Thursday it will delay the launch of its wireless network until early 2012, yet another delay in the Calgary-based cable giant's crucial push into the mobile space.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 01:55 PM   #35
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheyCallMeBruce View Post
Didn't see any news on this, thought I'd revive this thread. Looks like shaw wireless will be delayed till 2012. Shaw is new to the wireless network game, so I had doubts they would be ready by 2011. Many of my clients are on the same Spectrum network, so we've seen the growing pains and the length of time involved. I thought Shaw was being too ambitious about their network.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...rticle1868967/
The word on the street is, and I might have heard this from someone on this board, that they had to divert a lot of cash from the wireless launch to defend their cable tv business. The launch of Shaw's new "mediaroom" type of device is not going to be cheap.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote