Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-14-2024, 02:43 PM   #21
GFG#1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah_Baby View Post
Exactly.

"it's important that Lindy likes who he is playing with"

Jonathan's biggest mistake in a lot of way is not being Johnny and Matthew
I think a large part of it was also that Huberdeau got a massive contract before even playing a game. Lindholm knowing he had been on a team friendly deal and that signing Huberdeau and Kadri was going to cost him millions, as the team wouldn't have the space to pay him 10mil. I think it may have been different had Huberdeau come out and performed like he did when he was playing in Florida.

I kind of look at it like you have been a hard working loyal employee for years, apply for a promotion, the company hires an outsider and you have to train him, show him the ropes and he turns out to be useless. Really makes you feel underappreciated.
GFG#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to GFG#1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:45 PM   #22
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejays View Post
While gossip is entertaining and I appreciate it for board fodder, am I the only one who thinks it’s pretty ####ty of Coleman today this? These guys weren’t the devil by account previous to this. Who cares if they wanted out? Is that always a bad thing? Do you care if your coworker wants to go to a new company or position? I don’t. Hockey’s a funny sport where they need bullpen board bs to motivate them. Just play instead of throwing former teammates under the bus.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolsch View Post
Hardly. I read it as: it's fine if you want to go play somewhere else, just play hard and keep it out of the room. Sounds like he's more annoyed about the fuss that's been made around Lindholm and Zadorov and the fact that it affected their play and the feeling in the locker room.
This.

The way the other guys are praised (Tanev, Hanifin) means that maybe it's justified.

It's fine to want to ask for a trade but when they use the work "pretty vocal" specifically and then also call out the other guys for being "competitors" it feels like it's more than just the trade request.

So the comparison isn't that a coworker wanted to go to a new position, but that a coworker wanted to go to a new position, stopped doing their best work, and wouldn't stop complaining while they were still there.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:45 PM   #23
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britflamesfan View Post
How sad that fans are so quick to throw somebody under the bus so quickly. Lindholm made it clear he did not want to remain in Calgary at the end of last season and should have been traded ASP. This was a guy who has been a mainstay of the team for years and very underpayed at the same time. Some of you should hang your heads in shame.
Are you kidding? Coleman, a player on the team, heavily alluded to this being the case. Is it not fair to speculate on who might be the player he's talking about? A hockey player making millions of dollars to play a kid's game shouldn't be sulking and underperforming all year long if he doesn't want to have criticisms for his play.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:51 PM   #24
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
While gossip is entertaining and I appreciate it for board fodder, am I the only one who thinks it’s pretty ####ty of Coleman today this? These guys weren’t the devil by account previous to this. Who cares if they wanted out? Is that always a bad thing? Do you care if your coworker wants to go to a new company or position? I don’t. Hockey’s a funny sport where they need bullpen board bs to motivate them. Just play instead of throwing former teammates under the bus.
I think its legit.

If you have a guy like Coleman who goes out and busts his ass every shift, then you've got guys like Tanev and Hanifin who essentially have one foot out the door and they're STILL busting their asses every shift...I think they have every right to call out the 'coasters.'

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 02:52 PM   #25
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't have an issue with what he said, or with your thoughts either other than I don't think it's crappy of Coleman to say it.

I agree, it's ok for someone to want out. From a team perspective, it also doesn't mean you are mad at that player, but I think it's 100% ok to recognize that the team will be more effective once those people move on to other teams. No different than your example about regular work environment. I don't get upset if people want to leave either, but I'm also aware that in my work environment, if you have too many of those people all at once, you are never going to be the best work team you can be until those people move on. Not matter how much of a pro anyone is, if you aren't passionate anymore about your situation, you'll never be your theoretical best. Coleman, IMO is just pointing that out and I have no issue with that.

Also, as fans we need to check ourselves though. To your point, Lindholm isn't evil because he doesn't want to stay here, and he hardly checked out. He was trying, but he wasn't bought in. It's why he needed to be moved. And I can understand why. He, Johnny, Chucky and Mony were basically the version of the Flames he knew. They were the team and were working together to lead the team hopefully to success. All three left in one offseason. That's very understandably a time for self reflection for Lindholm. He's basically forced to start fresh. Where do I want to that? And do I want a full clean slate to do it, or stay in Calgary and start fresh but with all the historical baggage that comes without moving on. As fans, we need to not vilify folks who decide they need a change of scenery, it's very understandable.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 02:59 PM   #26
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Coleman made a choice to come here - a really big decision - and committed to a long term deal. Since coming here, things haven't gone as planned, to say the least - Gaudreau left, Tkachuk asked for a trade, and now several guys this season have asked the same.

Through all that, Coleman has been the consummate professional. He shows up for work everyday, leads by example, continues to be a pillar in the community, and by all accounts, and by every measure, has been an absolutely tremendous addition to the team.

So when he talks about attitudes in the dressing room, some guys handling it better than others, and some guys causing problems in the room, IMO, he 100% has the cred to do so. I didn't take it as someone throwing team-mates under the bus, I take it as a guy who totally gets it, being honest about how things have gone down this year.

When Coleman speaks, I'll listen. And I think what he is saying here is pretty clear. It also aligns perfectly with the performance of the team and the perceived mood of the room.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:04 PM   #27
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I think its legit.

If you have a guy like Coleman who goes out and busts his ass every shift, then you've got guys like Tanev and Hanifin who essentially have one foot out the door and they're STILL busting their asses every shift...I think they have every right to call out the 'coasters.'
I think that is correct.

Lindholm should have just asked for a trade from the get go, instead of having a ridiculous contract ask and half assing it all season.

Guys like Huberdeau got the bulk of the blame rightfully and rightfully so, but his effort was never in doubt.

They never meshed it looks like a lot of that can fall at the feet of Lindholm.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:22 PM   #28
Jiggy_12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I feel like I remember someone saying that Lindy didn’t attend Coleman’s thanksgiving party earlier this season. But I could be mistaken
Jiggy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:28 PM   #29
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Doesn't matter now. I still blame Tre, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk for effin up the Flames last year until the start of the trades started. It's like, if a player don't want to sign here or if there's no future here with the Flames, GTFO - and oh, we want a first rounder in the upcoming months or in a year or 2 later, cya!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 03:31 PM   #30
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Doesn't matter now. I still blame Tre, Gaudreau, and Tkachuk for effin up the Flames last year until the start of the trades started. It's like, if a player don't want to sign here or if there's no future here with the Flames, GTFO - and oh, we want a first rounder in the upcoming months or in a year or 2 later, cya!
ummm we got something for Tkachuk..
Old 02-14-2024, 03:49 PM   #31
SutterBrother
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Coleman was probably just talking about Ruzicka.

Lindholm and Zadorov were two of the guys who indicated that Sutter wasn't the problem on the Flames last year.

https://flamesnation.ca/news/nikita-...e-difficulties

Quote:
“90% of the information I can not tell you. But I will say that we had some difficulties. I liked Darryl, he made me a better player. I enjoyed playing under him. I will say this: at the moment he did not fit our team. Last year, Sutter was the perfect coach for Calgary; this season the leaders have changed, and he did not suit them. They did not find mutual understanding. When you invest $50-80 million in players, you make a choice in their favor.”
https://dailyhive.com/calgary/lindho...ames-struggles

Quote:
“Right when he came in, it was great,” Lindholm said in Swedish (translated with Google Translate). “We needed some change within the organization and on the coaching staff. Darryl is demanding and his leadership style takes lots of energy. I don’t usually focus so much on the coach. Of course, it was sad to see that so many took it [that way]. Of course, you lose sometimes, but you do with anyone. He is gone now, but there were many who were the problem.
There is possibly an argument to be made that the room was in factions with the newer talent who hadn't experienced success with Darryl pushing him out. With fewer holdovers, the team is more unified.
SutterBrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 04:07 PM   #32
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is sort of funny. I thought when the Flames bombed last season, and then started off poorly this season, that Coleman would be one of the players to sulk. American player coming to play in Calgary for a chance to win and all of that. Then he just goes out and has a career season. He was always one of the leaders in the room (even got into that shouting match against Gudbranson that season), but he has seemed to take an even bigger role in the leadership team. Him and Tanev are the two most 'heart and soul' type of guys on the team.

If Backlund wasn't here, Coleman would get my vote for the C right now. I don't want to trade him, and certainly the term makes it even more difficult, but there shouldn't be a single team in this league that wouldn't want to add a Coleman into their lineup. He has essentially become the perfect hockey player, on and off the ice.

As for Lindholm, I won't throw stones. Out of the three traded, he seemed like the one that really didn't want to be here, unless he got overpaid. Toffoli wanted to be here, but the Conroy didn't want to extend him. Zadorov wanted more cash than he deserved, but he otherwise stated multiple times that he wanted to be here and that was his preference - it could have been lip service, but he also stated this AFTER the trade went down, so while it may be lip service, it still means a little more. Either way, those three players were making noise. I do remember Lindholm's first game back in Carolina, he mocked their "Storm Surge". I thought it crossed the line somewhat, even if he did get booed. I wonder if he will get booed here in his first game back, and how he will respond.

I still haven't found a single resource that states that Hanifin wants to play in the USA only. I believe that was initial rumours piggy-backing off the Gaudreau and Tkachuk situations more than anything. I believe it was refuted, wasn't it?

As a believer in the notion that the Flames have to undergo a significant retool/rebuild, I think part of the design is sucking next season (and avoiding handing over a pick in the teens to Montreal in the process!). I don't mind that. Tanev, Hanifin and Markstrom look like they will all be gone between now and the start of next season, and it will be a noticeable hole, unlike Toffoli, Zadorov and Lindholm leaving and the Flames not really skipping much of a beat. However, I do think that it sucks gutting a huge component of that leadership out of the room.

Backlund, Coleman and Andersson just need to really step up, as does Huberdeau, Kadri and Weegar. This team will really need a strong leadership group to keep the kids pointed in the right direction on and off the ice. That's the difference between a Boston and Buffalo, IMO. That's why Chicago went out and overpaid for Foligno, and acquired others like Hall, Perry (oops!), etc.

I am definitely happy that Coleman is a guy that will be around. It helps turn the organization around more quickly too.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 05:55 PM   #33
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Coleman made a choice to come here - a really big decision - and committed to a long term deal. Since coming here, things haven't gone as planned, to say the least - Gaudreau left, Tkachuk asked for a trade, and now several guys this season have asked the same.

Through all that, Coleman has been the consummate professional. He shows up for work everyday, leads by example, continues to be a pillar in the community, and by all accounts, and by every measure, has been an absolutely tremendous addition to the team.

So when he talks about attitudes in the dressing room, some guys handling it better than others, and some guys causing problems in the room, IMO, he 100% has the cred
to do so. I didn't take it as someone throwing team-mates under the bus, I take it as a guy who totally gets it, being honest about how things have gone down this year.

When Coleman speaks, I'll listen. And I think what he is saying here is pretty clear. It also aligns perfectly with the performance of the team and the perceived mood of the room.
Coleman should be one of the captains next season in my mind.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Goriders For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 06:03 PM   #34
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lindholm is on a 49 point pace in Vancouver so maybe he just needed a change of scenery to get going.
Aarongavey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 06:21 PM   #35
camm13
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
Lindholm is on a 49 point pace in Vancouver so maybe he just needed a change of scenery to get going.

I've watched all the games he's played in since the trade, he looks about the same as he did here. The 2goals he had were powerplay goals where he was left all alone in front of the net by Carolina. And the assist was result of a good forechek, but hoglander just picks up a sitting puck for the goal.
camm13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to camm13 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 06:22 PM   #36
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFG#1 View Post
I think a large part of it was also that Huberdeau got a massive contract before even playing a game. Lindholm knowing he had been on a team friendly deal and that signing Huberdeau and Kadri was going to cost him millions, as the team wouldn't have the space to pay him 10mil. I think it may have been different had Huberdeau come out and performed like he did when he was playing in Florida.

I kind of look at it like you have been a hard working loyal employee for years, apply for a promotion, the company hires an outsider and you have to train him, show him the ropes and he turns out to be useless. Really makes you feel underappreciated.
It may have been a team friendly deal, but Lindholm also signed what at the time was a pretty generous contract given his prior production, all without playing a game. He was a .5 PPG winger and making more than Kucherov.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 07:01 PM   #37
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Friedman mentioned on 32 Thoughts a couple weeks ago that privately Lindholm had made it known internally he was ready for a change of scenery. No doubt his teammates knew, too.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 08:36 PM   #38
Buzzard
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by united View Post
Friedman mentioned on 32 Thoughts a couple weeks ago that privately Lindholm had made it known internally he was ready for a change of scenery. No doubt his teammates knew, too.
Doesn't sound too private to me.
Buzzard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Buzzard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2024, 09:04 PM   #39
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Am I the only one that thinks the dressing room vibes are entirely overrated?

I believe that locker room cohesion has almost zero impact on wins and losses.

It seems to me that locker room issues are only ever talked about when teams aren't successful, and they just give the media and fans something to gossip about to distract themselves from the lack of success on the ice.

Case in point, Vancouver. Last couple of years all we heard about was how the dressing room was poisoned. Now they are on a great run, and we aren't hearing a peep.

Seems like the only reason locker room issues get brought up is because some people mistakenly believe that the locker room vibes have a tangible impact on the on ice product, and so the problems get aired when things aren't rolling.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2024, 09:07 PM   #40
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Stain View Post
Am I the only one that thinks the dressing room vibes are entirely overrated?

I believe that locker room cohesion has almost zero impact on wins and losses.

It seems to me that locker room issues are only ever talked about when teams aren't successful, and they just give the media and fans something to gossip about to distract themselves from the lack of success on the ice.

Case in point, Vancouver. Last couple of years all we heard about was how the dressing room was poisoned. Now they are on a great run, and we aren't hearing a peep.

Seems like the only reason locker room issues get brought up is because some people mistakenly believe that the locker room vibes have a tangible impact on the on ice product, and so the problems get aired when things aren't rolling.
Yes. I think you might be.

Its like...if you went to work every day, cheek and jowl, but theres just a few guys that you just hate.

Are you going to go to War for those guys? Or let them flounder?

I've played with guys I've hated. It. Sucks.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: