Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2021, 10:12 AM   #2141
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

With Brady's disaster last night that should probably wrap up MVP for Rodgers, but it will be interesting to see if Rodgers COVID antics end up costing him the MVP. It shouldn't, of course, but there's definitely a real chance it will. I'm sure many writers will not want to be viewed as endorsing or legitimizing Rodgers.

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 12-20-2021 at 10:17 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 10:30 AM   #2142
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
With Brady's disaster last night that should probably wrap up MVP for Rodgers, but it will be interesting to see if Rogers COVID antics end up costing him the MVP. It shouldn't, of course, but there's definitely a real chance it will. I'm sure many writers will not want to be viewed as endorsing or legitimizing Rodgers.
Yeah, that came up on the McAfee show the Tuesday after ARods controversial Dr. Joe Rogan appearance. Pat came out and said, you know you'll never win another MVP right? Well seems like the rest of the league is throwing down the guantlet on that one. Unless he does the Trainspotting shatting of the bed in the last three games, it would be hard not to pick Rogers. He even missed a game and showed us all how bad the offence is without him. Guys like Cooper Kupp, and now Jonathan Taylor are having great years on offence. But I don't think they are having the Aaron Rogers impact on their teams.
Old 12-20-2021, 10:37 AM   #2143
Jason14h
Franchise Player

Exp:

I could see JT considering his team won the last game and had 5 completions

I really hope Rodgers doesn’t win
Jason14h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 11:20 AM   #2144
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvanfan View Post
You should qualify that with in the state of Florida. The Bucs did put up 27 points on them in NOLA. Still that is something to hold those two to a combined 3 points in those games. Saints might ask if they can move that Monday Night game to Miami.
Yep, Saints have just been a good road team in general the past few years. They're a league best 31-9 on the road since the start of 2017, contrary to belief they're still that soft, southern Dome team that wilts outdoors in cold temps...and they're not that dominant team at home anymore.

They're built to win on the road, which is why it was so frustrating they never had a single outdoor road playoff game during their contender period between 2017-20. I would love to see this team in a cold weather playoff game in January, suits their game better than the Dome would.
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:42 PM   #2145
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Can the Browns even field a competitive squad this afternoon? Seems like easy money to go with the Raiders and the under, but I imagine the line has already moved plenty.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:44 PM   #2146
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Can the Browns even field a competitive squad this afternoon? Seems like easy money to go with the Raiders and the under, but I imagine the line has already moved plenty.
Don't discount the Raiders ability to lay an egg against any team.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 12:47 PM   #2147
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Quote:
On November 1, 2018, Mullens was named the starter for the 49ers' Week 9 game against the Oakland Raiders on Thursday Night Football after Beathard suffered a wrist injury in the previous game against the Arizona Cardinals. Mullens finished his NFL debut and first NFL start completing 16 of 22 pass attempts for 262 yards and three touchdowns as the 49ers won 34–3.
Or, just hand the ball to Chubb 50 times.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nick_Mullens

Mullens will be the 32nd starting QB for the Browns since 1999.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ck-since-1999/

If the Browns win, they will be first in the AFC North. Crazy, after the start the Ravens had.

Last edited by troutman; 12-20-2021 at 12:51 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:49 PM   #2148
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

the Raiders are still somehow only 3 point favorites.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:50 PM   #2149
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sainters7 View Post
Yep, Saints have just been a good road team in general the past few years. They're a league best 31-9 on the road since the start of 2017, contrary to belief they're still that soft, southern Dome team that wilts outdoors in cold temps...and they're not that dominant team at home anymore.

They're built to win on the road, which is why it was so frustrating they never had a single outdoor road playoff game during their contender period between 2017-20. I would love to see this team in a cold weather playoff game in January, suits their game better than the Dome would.
Kansas City has been similar in that they were 6-2 at home last year and 8-0 on the road. The previous year 5-3 at home and 7-1 on the road. Yet there is a narrative that Arrowhead is this intimidating place for teams to play. Last year to an extent really does not count as much due to the lack of fans in stadiums and Covid Protocols although KC was one place that had fans all year in some form last season.

Really the Saints changed their team to get away from throwing for 5200 yards per year and needing 30 plus points to win games. Teams just do not win Superbowl's when their offence runs that way at least not with any type of consistency. Often it's a product of needing to score like that to cover up for a bad defense or inability to run the ball and grind down the clock. How many years did Brees throw for 5000 yards and they didn't sniff the playoffs?

That all said, I doubt the Saints are specifically built to handle Florida heat and humidity better than every other NFL team but struggle in controlled conditions. There's a lot of randomness involved here. It likely has more to do with the fact that home field in the NFL isn't what it's made out to be. Outside of the AFC North, most AFC teams really are not that different on the road from what they are at home. In the NFC only the Packers, Buccaneers, and Vikings are definitively better at home than they are on the road.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 12:54 PM   #2150
Nadal Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason14h View Post
I could see JT considering his team won the last game and had 5 completions

I really hope Rodgers doesn’t win
Henry rushed for 2K last year and his team won the division and he didn't get a single vote. I think Taylor deserves it this year but voters for some reason have a bias against HBs.
Nadal Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 12:57 PM   #2151
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

said it before, if the Colts make the playoffs, it should 100 percent be Taylor IMO. There's obviously a huge bias towards QBs, but if a RB is that dominant and basically carries the whole offense, I don't see why it always has to be a QB.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 01:28 PM   #2152
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rodgers has 33 TDs and 2 turnovers in his last 12 games, and they'd probably be 12-0 in those games if that DB didn't drop the Cousins pick at the end of the Vikings game. That also includes the Arizona game where he won a game QB'ing a practice squad offense. Taylor has been great, no doubt, but there's no valid reason to not give it to Rodgers based solely on on-field performance. People will look for reasons to not give it to him because he's a dickbag, but this should probably be a unanimous MVP for Rodgers.
Old 12-20-2021, 02:30 PM   #2153
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
the Raiders are still somehow only 3 point favorites.
Seems the smart money is on the Browns and that’s why line hasn’t moved more. Or that’s my theory anyway.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:18 PM   #2154
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
Rodgers has 33 TDs and 2 turnovers in his last 12 games, and they'd probably be 12-0 in those games if that DB didn't drop the Cousins pick at the end of the Vikings game. That also includes the Arizona game where he won a game QB'ing a practice squad offense. Taylor has been great, no doubt, but there's no valid reason to not give it to Rodgers based solely on on-field performance. People will look for reasons to not give it to him because he's a dickbag, but this should probably be a unanimous MVP for Rodgers.
Henry should have won last year and Taylor probably should win this year.

I also don't get why Rodgers would deserve it more than Brady, who is having just as good as a season, and actually leads in Passing Yards and TDs
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #2155
Sainters7
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great catch by Edwards on the TD
Sainters7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:45 PM   #2156
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Henry should have won last year and Taylor probably should win this year.

I also don't get why Rodgers would deserve it more than Brady, who is having just as good as a season, and actually leads in Passing Yards and TDs
Because Brady has had some pretty mediocre and dog#### performances. Rodgers has been far more consistent.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 03:52 PM   #2157
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brady was poor against Washington and against NO last night in those two losses.

Rodgers was even worse than Brady was against New Orleans (133 yards, 2 INT) in their opening night loss, and cost his team a game by not even being able to be on the field against Kansas City.

Just because Rodgers poor game was week 1 and Brady's was week 17 shouldn't matter.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 04:30 PM   #2158
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Brady has the superior offensive weapons by a fairly decent margin. I couldn't even imagine the stupid, video game numbers Rodgers would do with the Bucs weapons, he'd put those Manning 2013 and Mahomes 2018 seasons to shame no doubt. But even if you want to say Brady and Rodgers are close to even (and I don't think they are), the tiebreaker is the Packers game against the Cards and the Bucs game against the Saints. Bucs lose their weapons and Brady plays like poo; Packers lose their weapons and Rodgers leads them to victory.

I also think Taylor doesn't even deserve it over Henry. Not Henry 2020, Henry right now. Look at how poor the Titans offense has been without him, he is their team, even more than Taylor is the Colts. Taylor is gonna have a real shot at MVP because the "Anybody but Rodgers" portion of the media will be a real thing, but he's not even the most valuable running back in his own division. Making him NFL MVP seems absurd to me.
Old 12-20-2021, 04:34 PM   #2159
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Brady was poor against Washington and against NO last night in those two losses.

Rodgers was even worse than Brady was against New Orleans (133 yards, 2 INT) in their opening night loss, and cost his team a game by not even being able to be on the field against Kansas City.

Just because Rodgers poor game was week 1 and Brady's was week 17 shouldn't matter.
Roger's has not had his starting left tackle all year and has largely covered up spotty pass protection. His ensemble of weapons in the pass game is a ways behind what Roger's has. The Packers play the slowest pace in the league believing that they have the most efficient offence in the league and want games to have 6 possessions per team. So that impacts passing yards. One guy has 11 interceptions and 3 lost fumbles. The other has 4 interceptions. Brady has 7.2 yards per attempt, Rogers is at 7.9.

If Henry couldn't win MVP as a running back last year, Taylor really is not beating that pace this year.

It will be the vaccination stuff that stops Rogers from MVP and nothing else. At least give it to Kupp if they go away from QB as his season is at least looking like something not seen from a WR before.

They did show a graphic on Saturday where Taylor is behind the paces of Adrian Peterson, Ladanian Tomlinsson, Terrel Davis, and Eric Dickerson in terms of rushing yards, total scrimmage yards, and total TD's thru 15 weeks. He's close, but not quite there.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 12-20-2021 at 04:49 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 05:43 PM   #2160
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Take the FG.

TD!

Up to the defence now.

https://twitter.com/user/status/1473092602736123909

Last edited by troutman; 12-20-2021 at 05:48 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote