Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Any singers out there?

I know there are some guitar players and drummers on the board, but are there any singers?

I wouldn't call myself the greatest singer, but I have improved over the past month improving my range by a couple notes. I'm basically working on range right now and trying to add notes to my higher range until I can sing head voice without falsetto.

I'm thinking about taking singing lessons and getting a coach to help with exercises.

Anyway, any out there in the CP land?
3 Justin 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:42 AM   #2
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I await the first of many songs written and sung about the magical Fassbender penis.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #3
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yep. Former, at least. Took lessons for about 10 years or so. Various music festivals, a jazz quartet.

Haven't done it much since high school though. Now it's mostly relegated to drunken karaoke and singing in the car.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:22 PM   #4
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Seriously?

All of CP and I am the only one who can sing?
Old 12-19-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
Hockey_Ninja

Exp:

I can sing fairly well. Guess i inhareted it from my mom (She has an amazing voice). I don't bust it out in socially, i keep it to myself.

Last edited by Hockey_Ninja; 12-19-2012 at 03:28 PM.
Hockey_Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ive been part of bands since high school and I generally either sing lead or backup vocals.
Old 12-19-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I produce music and sing but I mostly sing Hindi/Punjabi or Urban Desi music. I'm an English Canadian so I can sing in English but I picked up Hindi and Punjabi and loved the music so I picked up the language to sing. Funny thing is when I speak either my english accent comes out but when I sing I don't have any english accent.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 04:56 PM   #8
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3 Justin 3 View Post
Seriously?

I can carry a tune quite well, when we used to play rock band I could usually ace the vocal parts.

My voice just sucks.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Anyone a tenor?

I'm jealous of those who are. That high pitched range.

I'm a baritone and I'm trying to extend my range to sing some of those high notes, but I'm struggling!
Old 12-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #10
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've been able to get into the higher ranges lately. It's really about keeping your volume and just not giving a crap if anyone can hear you.

I find a higher note comes right from the stomach and you really got to tighten your abs. It's a full body motion.
Old 12-19-2012, 07:37 PM   #11
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Anyone a tenor?
Tenor here.

Matty's on the right track. To get to the higher register you really need to deliver it from the diaphragm. Technique can make all the difference. However a lot of it is still genetic...

Last edited by DownhillGoat; 12-19-2012 at 07:40 PM.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 07:38 PM   #12
V
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can pull off a pretty solid Sparafucile.
V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
TheyCallMeBruce
Likes Cartoons

Exp:

Tenor here. I was taught by someone who used to sing professionally. I haven't spoken to him in awhile, but I can ask him for you if you are interested.
TheyCallMeBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:39 PM   #14
Sr. Mints
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I'd be a really good singer if I put any effort into it or took it seriously. I can hit both high and low notes, belt out anything from Les Mis to The Nightmare before Christmas to Journey.

The shower is my stage, however, and that is the extent of it..

Haven't sang in any sort of 'organized' capacity since Jr. high school.
Sr. Mints is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Seriously?

Hey there,
My name's John Groenen, i'm the singer for a local band called The Firm Handshake. We've been around almost 10 years now and we've played a ton of gigs. I'm a tenor, and as mentioned in earlier posts the key is power. I'm interested to know what sort of music you're singing. This makes a huge difference as style and aesthetic can often change the nuts and bolts of your singing approach.
Feel free to check out our stuff on my website
www.thefirmhandshake.com

Let me know if you've got any specific questions. I'd be happy to answer what i can.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to handgroen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #16
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Tenor here.

Matty's on the right track. To get to the higher register you really need to deliver it from the diaphragm. Technique can make all the difference. However a lot of it is still genetic...

I'm impressed by guys who can sing tenor, my voice is pretty deep so I have a hard time singing really high notes.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Bmuzyka
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I used to be a Tenor, well still am somewhat, but I have stopped singing seriously since my kids were born. I would love to be able to do it more and re-train myself to get back up to the High A, but it has been many years now.

Like someone else said, I mostly sing karaoke twice a year, and actually get to pull my guitar out and play once a month for like 20 minutes before my kids or wife nag at me to stop
Bmuzyka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #18
3 Justin 3
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by handgroen View Post
Hey there,
My name's John Groenen, i'm the singer for a local band called The Firm Handshake. We've been around almost 10 years now and we've played a ton of gigs. I'm a tenor, and as mentioned in earlier posts the key is power. I'm interested to know what sort of music you're singing. This makes a huge difference as style and aesthetic can often change the nuts and bolts of your singing approach.
Feel free to check out our stuff on my website
www.thefirmhandshake.com

Let me know if you've got any specific questions. I'd be happy to answer what i can.
I sing metal stuff and of course they are all tenors or baritones with crazy range (Halford).

I love singing any song from Kiske (ex-Helloween).

For instance, I can sing every part of that except three words "million", "make", "left" during the chorus. I just can't those C notes, I top out at G. I got to resort to falsetto for them, it's the only way.
Old 12-20-2012, 01:50 PM   #19
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've never received any formal training besides some music classes at school, but I used to really enjoy singing. I sang in a bunch of choirs as a kid, then got away from it because singing wasn't cool anymore when you're a teenager. I took it back up later in high school and joined the Chamber Choir because some of the girls in there were really hot.

I was a tenor. After HS I formed a couple bands, always playing rhythm guitar and singing lead. The last one I was involved with was called Full Circle, and we were active in the Calgary scene between 1999-2001.

After I got married and we started having kids I got out of music as I just didn't have time for it anymore. Sadly, it's amazing how fast you lose your range & ability when you don't keep your chops up. I still sing occasionally but it's tough now - after being at a pretty high level and then letting it go, I find it really frustrating that I can't belt 'em out the way I used to. Frustrating enough that I don't really enjoy singing much anymore.

If it's something you love doing, don't ever quit or let it go. I don't believe in regrets but there are definitely things I wish I cold have done differently and music is definitely on the list.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Redliner For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 PM   #20
handgroen
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I sing metal stuff and of course they are all tenors or baritones with crazy range (Halford).

I love singing any song from Kiske (ex-Helloween).

For instance, I can sing every part of that except three words "million", "make", "left" during the chorus. I just can't those C notes, I top out at G. I got to resort to falsetto for them, it's the only way.
Impressive stuff in that clip, little beyond my depth but very impressive none the less. The only advice i can really offer is that the volume he's using to achieve those high notes in the chorus is dramatically higher than the rest of the song, which may be somewhat misleading. That aside it's very ambitious to use songs like that as a launching pad for the development of your voice. I would caution anyone who hasn't sang very long to ensure they focus on creating a style and presence for their delivery, rather than becoming fixated on range.

is your cat doing singing?
handgroen is offline   Reply With Quote