Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2011, 06:12 PM   #1
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default HELP! hp color laserjet 3500 wont print

I am at the inlaws and they got a hp color laserjet 3500 from a friend to connect to their computer. It shows up as a printer on the network but everytime I hit print it goes straight to error.

Any help would be appreciated
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I guess I should add it is connected to the network. and I have tried dling the drivers but hp drivers are weird and I have no idea how to install
Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 PM   #3
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

I have a 3600 at work, but I don't think that the same drivers would work. See if you can type in the IP address of the printer (should be able to find that from the LCD on the printer somewhere in the menus). That should get you into the printer's web interface where you might be able to see what's going on.

You should be able to get the drivers from HP. Here's a link that might help:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...862&taskId=135

Not sure whether they're using XP, Vista, or 7, but you should be able to find the appropriate drivers. Keep in mind that you should run the setup utility instead of just trying to install the drivers independently. If I remember correctly, the setup utility finds the printer on the network and takes care of the rest. The drivers alone probably won't work unless it is directly connected via USB (which defeats the purpose of a network printer).
Jimmy Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:42 PM   #4
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

where is the set up utility i dont see it on the driver page
Old 01-19-2011, 06:55 PM   #5
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ok i found the network install wizard. But when I run it it can't find printer even though I can see it when I go to print. sharing is set on and I have disabled the firewall
Old 01-19-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

ok I just noticed it is connected to usb not to the actual network. it tricked me being ethernet on back of pinter then going to cpu as usb. Im assuming I need to change the lte settings
Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 PM   #7
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
ok I just noticed it is connected to usb not to the actual network. it tricked me being ethernet on back of pinter then going to cpu as usb. Im assuming I need to change the lte settings
Yeah - get the USB out of the equation entirely if you're going to use it as a network printer. The setup utility should find it on the network, open the necessary ports on your computer's firewall, and install the printer. You'll have to do the same for all of the computers that want to use it though.

Plan B could be to disconnect ethernet and plug it in via USB and share the printer to other computers. But then you'd always have to have that computer on and you'd be losing the true network feature which is one of the best things about it.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:36 AM   #8
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

It really doesn't need to be on a network since they don't have more then one computer or a router. I am down to it needing proper drivers. I could only find network setup wizard for hp not just regular printer. when I plug in the usb it says your device is ready to use but doesn't recognize it as the hp 3500
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 AM   #9
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It really doesn't need to be on a network since they don't have more then one computer or a router. I am down to it needing proper drivers. I could only find network setup wizard for hp not just regular printer. when I plug in the usb it says your device is ready to use but doesn't recognize it as the hp 3500
Are they on XP, Vista, or 7?
Old 01-20-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

xp which is what the printer seems to need from reading about it online
Old 01-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

You have probably already tried this, but this looks like the driver package which should be separate from the network utility:

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport...5&mode=4&idx=0
Old 01-20-2011, 10:15 AM   #12
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

that might help actually I never though of reading directions. I will try it again on saturday if not you best be online to help me out!
Old 01-20-2011, 10:19 AM   #13
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

what is the ip address of the printer?

That is the fist thing to setup. I would forget about the network utility, most of those printers you can set the ip address from the console on the printer.

Then install the printer as a "local printer" when it asks for port choose create new and TCP-IP - put in the IP address of the printer, it will then ask you for drivers, point to where you have downloaded and extracted the files and next next next and you are done.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #14
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

thanks myk i think you missed the part that it is actually not on network anymore and is directly plugged in using ethernet - usb connector
Old 01-20-2011, 10:43 AM   #15
mykalberta
Franchise Player

Exp:

So you are just installing a USB printer? Nevermind then.
mykalberta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 10:44 AM   #16
Jimmy Stang
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
thanks myk i think you missed the part that it is actually not on network anymore and is directly plugged in using ethernet - usb connector
What a sec - ethernet-USB connector? Doesn't it have a place to plug the USB in directly? Did this connector come with the printer?
Old 01-20-2011, 10:49 AM   #17
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yes it came with it (from inlaws friend who had it working not sure about company). That is the only available plug slot on the printer is an ethernet slot. Nothing else