Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-2024, 04:47 PM   #41
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
It is what it is. But I think it's naive for Canadian teams to know this and still not manage this risk properly thinking "we're different!"

The last thing you want is a Fox situation. Norris trophy winner that you drafted, but forced to trade away. Any 1st/2nd rounder, I'd consider drafting, "the next best player available" if the best player available is American with plans to play in the US college system. The player can lie, so an interview and asking them is useless.
I have wondered if that's why they didn't take Gabe Perreault
But then again they did take Coronato.
I think you have to basically treat it like a risk factor and make decisions on that basis. But if you exclude all NCAA players, or Russian players you cut out a lot of the talent.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:48 PM   #42
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Players should only be able to reject Edmonton. Because, well... humanitarian reasons.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:51 PM   #43
TrentCrimmIndependent
Franchise Player

Exp:

They just need to close the loophole to ensure better league wide parity.

Birthplace shouldn't factor in as heavily as it starting to.
TrentCrimmIndependent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 04:59 PM   #44
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, thank Jeebus that Gaudreau didn't eff the Flames and the fans. We at least got the good years out of him before he went south! Glad Flames got something out of Fox before he GTFO!
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:04 PM   #45
CSharp
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royle9 View Post
Fox=NG
Guys a loser for doing this.
He should have been honest, dont get drafted say you're happy about it and then have no intentions to play.

Players should just be honest during interview period.
He kind of reminds me of what Lindros did at draft day when the Nordiques selected him. The Nordiques became the Avs and they won the Cup a few years later. Lindros went on to get concussed! Carma always kicks you in the butt at some point and I hope Fox never wins a Cup as a Rangers or on any team in his aging career.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2024, 05:14 PM   #46
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
I have wondered if that's why they didn't take Gabe Perreault
But then again they did take Coronato.
I think you have to basically treat it like a risk factor and make decisions on that basis. But if you exclude all NCAA players, or Russian players you cut out a lot of the talent.
I wouldn't be surprised if it factors in. If a player in the 1st round seems less enthusiastic or committed and has the college lever to pull, I think you avoid the risk other players available are similar in tier. For a later round, just go for it, who cares.

Conroy was talking a lot about how he wanted players who wanted to be be Calgary Flames, and I wouldn't at all be surprised if Honzek showed more enthusiasm about playing in Calgary compared to some of the other players available in that range.
Old 02-15-2024, 05:47 PM   #47
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggy View Post
The article is on The Athletic.

Lot's of people on CP never believed Fox actually told the Flames he wouldn't sign with them. This article confirms Fox had no intention on signing with the Flames.
[
I don't think anyone believes that her never told them that. I think it is clear he did.

That said, this was right side depth when Fox was a Flames prospect:

Hamilton
Hamonic
Stone
Andersson

This was the right side depth when Fox was a Hurricanes prospect:

Hamilton
Pesce
Faulk

The reality is that neither team actually made a roster spot that would make someone on the fence even consider signing.

Of course some would argue that he only ever wanted to play for the Rangers, and I'm sure after signing there he said as much.

But that doesn't mean the Flames / Canes actually made signing very appealing. Knowing Treliving, their conversations probably revolved around "you might have to start off by playing for the Stockton Heat but we'll give you a chance to steal the #6D spot if Rasmus cannot steal it while Giordano and Hamilton play on the PP units... we like you"

The Rangers signed him and put him on their top pair / PP1 as a rookie.

Of course location might play a part if all else is equal (eg Panarin choosing the Blackhawks over the Flames) but when the choices were playing college hockey and playing in the pros, the pros did not mean a top pair spot in the NHL.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 02-15-2024 at 05:52 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote