Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #1
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default RCA to USB Cable

Does anyone know where I can grab one of these locally (and by locally I mean Edmonton...sorry, not Calgary)? Is this something The Source sells or Memory Express?

Also, suggestions for free video editing software? The wife wants me to get some old VHS stuff onto the comp so we can transfer to DVD. I figured an RCA to USB cable would allow me to do that correct?

Any help from those in the know would be appreciated. Thanks.
OilKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:22 AM   #2
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

A lady at work brought in this device for me to hook up that would do this, but I cannot recall what it was called. It included software. Let me do some searching.

edit: I can't find the exact model she had, but try looking at one of these. I assume you could find some of them locally.

Last edited by Rathji; 01-26-2011 at 10:26 AM.
Rathji is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rathji For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 03:08 PM   #3
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

There's a kit by Roxio that I think they have at Costco and Futureshop.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:24 PM   #4
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Hmmm...Not sure I want to pay what a "kit" might cost. Does anyone know of anywhere to just buy the cable? I'm sure there must be software available online that would allow a "capture" of whatever is coming through on the USB port.
Old 01-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Why do you need it to be in town? You can get these cables for dirt cheap online with free shipping. $10-$16 shipped.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0...-capture-49146

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/easycap...e-dongle-11267

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0...er-black-51244

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/usb-2-0...ed-white-51347

Most of the time you will never ever find them in any actual store in Calgary or Edmonton.

Even if you do, expect to get heavily ripped off on anything cable related.

It might be a good idea to just buy a TV tuner that is on sale or on the red table at Futureshop. I got a Hauppage USB tuner (with coax that also works for HD) that will work with an SD VCR or HD source for like $40 on the discount open box table at futureshop.

I doubt you'll find an RCA to USB cable but most stores will carry TV Tuners for PCs.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 03:59 PM   #6
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilKiller View Post
Hmmm...Not sure I want to pay what a "kit" might cost. Does anyone know of anywhere to just buy the cable? I'm sure there must be software available online that would allow a "capture" of whatever is coming through on the USB port.
The cables ARE "kits". You need a signal conversion, a driver, and software to record video.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:15 PM   #7
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
The cables ARE "kits". You need a signal conversion, a driver, and software to record video.
The ones I posted should have all of those things. USB capture is built into Windows. You just need drivers for your particular device. It basically acts as a webcam. If you want something that will record that output and convert to other media, there are tons of media programs that can be had for free as well.

You can't expect to buy anything in town anymore. Almost all my purchases are online. Either it's no availability or selection in town, or you get raped on prices. All the name brand capture/cables etc. sold in electronics stores are often all just rebranded generic stuff from China in the first place anyway. Might as well save some money.

I was just in Hong Kong and it was awesome. If I wanted a cable or anything electronic, I could just goto the street and find basically anything I wanted for exactly what I needed for dirt cheap. Here it's like: "uhh, goto Radioshack, Futureshop, etc." and get ripped off or usually find nothing.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #8
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just wanted to give bit of a warning for anything bought off dealextreme. A lot of their products are Chinese knockoffs, so hence why they're so cheap. I bought a couple of memory sticks off there for my PSP that turned out to be fake. One worked and one didn't, so buyer beware.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 04:20 PM   #9
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Absolutely those devices are available in town.

Future shop, Best buy, etc.

Look for video capture or video editing, there should be options in a number of price ranges.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...ba837bb406en02
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #10
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Absolutely those devices are available in town.

Future shop, Best buy, etc.

Look for video capture or video editing, there should be options in a number of price ranges.

http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...ba837bb406en02
This is the one I set up for the lady at work. It worked, but I certainly don't know what the final quality was on it.
Old 01-26-2011, 04:39 PM   #11
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

I used to use this for videocapture
http://www.futureshop.ca/en-CA/produ...c5d6ca72cden02

It was open box for $20 and worked well enough but I wouldn't have paid more than that for it.

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 01-26-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Old 01-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #12
OilKiller
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Thanks for all the posts guys. Appreciate the feedback.