Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2009, 07:27 PM   #21
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
I have the complete, latest release of Mame with all the CHD's. All the rom sets are complete. The roms are about 15-20 gigs, the chds quite a bit more.

I'd be happy to host an FTP and give you guys access if there's interest. The problem is I'm going out of town tomorrow morning and might not have time to set it up.

Edit: Roms with the chds equals 83.8 gigs.
I would be interested.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:37 PM   #22
Nage Waza
Offered up a bag of cans for a custom user title

Exp:

I am interested as well, let me know when you are ready to go!!! I can burn you mine and mail it to you, if you would like.
Nage Waza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 08:46 PM   #23
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

PM sent Nage, although seems the other idea might be a better plan
Old 09-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #24
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sorry to bump this old thread but I need some help building my MAME machine. I am using front end mgalaxy because it is simple and I suck with computers. Running mame138 on it. Here is the problems I downloaded a couple hundred games and about 2/3's work. The other ones start loading then stop. I first thought it might just be a bad rom but my buddy downloaded the same rom using the same settings and they worked on his computer. Does anyone know why this would happen? Or offer advice on a nice looking front end to use that is simple to set up?
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 08:28 AM   #25
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

I assume by Mame 138, you are refering to the previous version of the software available http://mamedev.org/release.html, which is currently on version 1.39?

My experience with Mame games is they tend to only work on the version of the emulator they were designed for. I have a extremely large collection that was distributed as a package with a previous version (1.3 I think). If I try and upgrade the Mame version I occasionally see a few that are broken, or slightly more buggy. I would try to get your hands on one of these collections as a stand alone unit, rather than downloading games separately. Mine is 8 DVD's I think, but it includes many of the CHD files, which are huge and take up most of 3 or 4 discs. The bulk of the games can be had on the smaller sets, that don't include the CHD. I know there are collections now with up to 12 DVD's available, 6 of which are CHD files.

As for a front end, I recall there was an XBOX Mame disc that you could get that had been ported over for PC (or the other way around). It has been a long time since I researched it though.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:56 AM   #26
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ya i get the only working with the one developed for. It is just we were running the same version and downloaded the same Rom but his worked mine didnt. I foud a website to download the whole group of 1.38 games so I am going to try that tonight and maybe it will correct the issue. I had to use 1.38 instead of 1.39 because mgalaxy didn't have a release for 1.39
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 AM   #27
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

In case anyone is actually reading the thread I got eveything working now! Just waiting on a group of all 1.38 games to be finished downloading and I will have a working MAME. If anyone has any questions I would be glad to help out in putting together a machine and will post pics of mine as i go.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #28
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Who's got the biggest and most updated mame collection here? It would be nice if we could somehow share it among us because of how anally hard it is to actually get those things. I have an 85GB one that is like 4 years out of date.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #29
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Mine is not that big or updated properly I am still trying to work out the kinks. I have about 29 gigs but none are CHD's and half of them don't seem to work yet.

***With that being said if anyone has a good list of anything working well and knows how to set up a front end to get everything working nicely with hiding anything windows when it loads from start up fee free to pm me as I need all the help I can get.*******

Last edited by fundmark19; 09-16-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:39 AM   #30
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Ok here are the pictures of my working mame! Cabinet was bought from gobsgrahm

Old 01-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #31
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

This might sound like me being a MAME snob, but why would you go through the whole trouble of building your own cab and then just using a standard X-Arcade stick? Part of the appeal of MAME to me is to be able to completely customize it. I even have custom marquee and bezel designs for my (eventual) box.

Don't take what I am saying as trying to be critical though, you actually finished it, which is more than I can say for my vision, which currently exists as a couple dozen files on my computer and 10 DVD's of MAMEs. I think I am mostly just curious.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:15 AM   #32
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I didn't build anything custom. All I did was gut the the cab that gobs gave me and dropped in a tv. X-arcade put in and is working. X arcade is full lifetime warranty and they allow you to customize. If I get bored and have more time in the future I can take all the buttons out and put them like an actual arcade cabinet. Money and time was a big thing I wanted an arcade machine and I wanted it cheap and put together quickly so I didn't lose interest. My wife wasn't happy I was building it let alone using our money so 300 for a completed project in a week versus 500 + to make it fully customized the way I wanted and trying to make everything work would have probably taken a month. I am not good at programing on computers my knowledge is very minimal so this was the easiest way for me to get golden tee working on a cabinet without paying $1000.00 for an actual golden tee cab
Old 01-24-2011, 09:18 AM   #33
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fundmark19 View Post
Money and time was a big thing I wanted an arcade machine and I wanted it cheap and put together quickly so I didn't lose interest. My wife wasn't happy I was building it let alone using our money so 300 for a completed project in a week versus 500 + to make it fully customized the way I wanted and trying to make everything work would have probably taken a month.
Are you sure we are not married to the same woman?
Old 01-24-2011, 09:25 AM   #34
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

come to think about it we live in the same area and take the same bus and they both don't like anything fun we may be!