Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-20-2020, 09:23 AM   #41
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

So an I right to assume he was out in a rural area, went up to people's houses posing as a cop, and murdered them in their own houses?

Without neighbors around it would be fairly easy for him to be in, out and onto the next house a few kms away without anyone knowing, and no one would be calling the cops on this guy with a spot on vehicle and uniform
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wood For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 09:46 AM   #42
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post
So an I right to assume he was out in a rural area, went up to people's houses posing as a cop, and murdered them in their own houses?

Without neighbors around it would be fairly easy for him to be in, out and onto the next house a few kms away without anyone knowing, and no one would be calling the cops on this guy with a spot on vehicle and uniform
Yes, it appears that way.

I've mentioned my friend who lives nearby, his place is back off the road, overlooks the Bay of Fundy. If the shooter went to his house;

(A) why wouldn't he answer the door for what appeared to be an uniformed Mountie in a marked car?

(B) the police would never have been called, no one would have heard gunshots, and frankly they likely would only be finding the scene now.

Hopefully, all the addresses in the area have been checked.

My wife just said she's not going on Facebook at all today.

I live in Nova Scotia, but not near the shooting. If it affects us this much, I can't imagine how those from the area are doing.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maritime Q-Scout For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #43
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wood View Post

And, apparently, then setting the houses on fire.

Just unbelievable how long this went on for and how far it spread.

Hard for a small town RCMP detachment to contain such an event.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:14 AM   #44
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Yes knocking on doors during the night and burning down houses and shooting people, some of whom were tied to trees first

He was also pulling people over in their cars and murdering them after the sun came up Sunday morning.

A friend of a friend of mine knew both the shooter and several victims. He called the police when they saw the fake cruiser on their street and then locked their doors and went to the basement. Within 10 mins the fake car pulled into the driveway and the shooter began banging on their door. This was 9am Sunday morning. He gave up and moved on. I can't even imagine the terror.

I had to drive into Halifax today to get some groceries for my 67 year old mom and I admit I'm pretty shaky. Saw a police cruiser being towed on the highway. I'm in a parking lot right now about 20kms from where the chase ended... People on cbc radio crying... Just surreal. Like this world wasn't crazy enough the past few months.

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 AM   #45
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

This was so methodical and it feels like this guy had planned this out probably for a while. This doesn't feel like the usual rage induced shooting spree where the shooter goes to a busy location like a school or mall or place of business with a gun and lights it up.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't political or ideologically motivated. Instead of a random I hate people shooting. I'm sure that we'll hear eventually that this guy was a radicalized far right wing white supremacist or followed them on the web.

For all of you that are directly affected, I hope that if you feel like you need help dealing with it that you don't hesitate in getting it.

There are lots of questions of why and how, that will need to be answered. This is a tremendous tragedy, and in a world that already feels like its spinning off kilter, its just another thing that effects peoples state of mind.

19 or more people had their lives taken for absolutely no reason by a scumbag, and for those families and friends that are effected, I hope that they find the answers and help that they need to heal.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:48 AM   #46
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Save Us Sutter View Post
Yes knocking on doors during the night and burning down houses and shooting people, some of whom were tied to trees first

He was also pulling people over in their cars and murdering them after the sun came up Sunday morning.

A friend of a friend of mine knew both the shooter and several victims. He called the police when they saw the fake cruiser on their street and then locked their doors and went to the basement. Within 10 mins the fake car pulled into the driveway and the shooter began banging on their door. This was 9am Sunday morning. He gave up and moved on. I can't even imagine the terror.

I had to drive into Halifax today to get some groceries for my 67 year old mom and I admit I'm pretty shaky. Saw a police cruiser being towed on the highway. I'm in a parking lot right now about 20kms from where the chase ended... People on cbc radio crying... Just surreal. Like this world wasn't crazy enough the past few months.

Just terrifying.
Old 04-20-2020, 10:53 AM   #47
Wood
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm glad the friend of a friend was aware of the situation, because that could have easily been another victim

What a crazy situation, it's hard to even comprehend
Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:56 AM   #48
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Jolene Oliver, 40, was originally from Calgary, according to her sister, Tammy Oliver-McCurdie. She met 45-year-old Aaron Tuck, a mechanic, while working as a waitress in Alberta.

The couple and their 17-year-old daughter, Emily Tuck, moved to Nova Scotia two years ago to be closer to Aaron Tuck's mother, who was sick. They lived in Portapique.

Oliver-McCurdie said Emily was a musician who played the violin. She was trying to choose between music and welding for her post-secondary education. From a young age, Emily would be in the garage with her father, helping him fix cars, according to Oliver-McCurdie.

"She knew everything underneath the hood," said Oliver-McCurdie, who lives in Red Deer, Alta. "She didn't even get to live her life. She had so much potential … so much love, so, smart, so caring, so humble."

Old 04-20-2020, 11:04 AM   #49
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

16 seperate crime scenes.

"in excess of 19 victims"

https://twitter.com/ChrisHalef/statu...81961848152065

Last edited by transplant99; 04-20-2020 at 11:07 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:11 AM   #50
flylock shox
1 millionth post winnar!

Exp:

Some additional unpleasant details in this story, citing a "police source." I won't quote from the article as the facts - if they are facts - are upsetting to read.
flylock shox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to flylock shox For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #51
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is the most disturbing thing I've heard of in a while.

Wow is this going to take a while for people to wrap their heads around.

It's just beyond words how bad this is.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:15 AM   #52
Robo
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is absolutely sickening and heartbreaking I'm at a complete loss for words those poor people
Robo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:36 AM   #53
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flylock shox View Post
Some additional unpleasant details in this story, citing a "police source." I won't quote from the article as the facts - if they are facts - are upsetting to read.
Just.....no words.

It's noted in there that all this occurred on the anniversary of both the Waco seige coming to an end and the Oklahoma City bombing.

Last edited by transplant99; 04-20-2020 at 11:38 AM.
transplant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 11:46 AM   #54
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

CBC News Retweeted
Rosemary Barton
@RosieBarton
·
34m
RCMP: relatively confident we have identified all of the crime scenes, but we have had 5 structure fires and we believe there may be victims inside those homes still. That is ongoing. That is why we don't have a final total number, we expect it to rise in the coming days.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:02 PM   #55
darockwilder
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

That is ####ing crazy. My wife and her mom are from Cape Breton so I'm out there every year or so. The Irving station by the airport where he was taken down is the one where we always fill up the rental car before returning it. This is all so unfathomable.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:04 PM   #56
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

And during a pandemic when most people are likely to be at home.

So this uniform he had on, was it an actual RCMP uniform or just a convincing knock off?
Old 04-20-2020, 12:12 PM   #57
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
And during a pandemic when most people are likely to be at home.

So this uniform he had on, was it an actual RCMP uniform or just a convincing knock off?
The spokesman wasnt sure yet but he and another female officer both stated that if it wasnt real it looked enough like one they would not have known the difference.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #58
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's just so crazy.

Part of me wonders if this guy is trying to breed distrust of the police? But he was apparently obsessed with the police so that doesn't really make sense?

I guess there isn't much point in trying to understand this guys thinking.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:41 PM   #59
Matt Reeeeead
Scoring Winger

Exp:
Default Nova Scotia Active Shooter Dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
That's just so crazy.

Part of me wonders if this guy is trying to breed distrust of the police? But he was apparently obsessed with the police so that doesn't really make sense?

I guess there isn't much point in trying to understand this guys thinking.

My best guess is something along the lines of Matthew de grood. Schizophrenic that thought he was the hero killing monsters under delusion or something crazy like that.

That’s just a complete guess based on almost nothing. But would maybe be plausible for someone with the hero complex killing a bunch of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Matt Reeeeead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:54 PM   #60
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Reeeeead View Post
My best guess is something along the lines of Matthew de grood. Schizophrenic that thought he was the hero killing monsters under delusion or something crazy like that.

That’s just a complete guess based on almost nothing. But would maybe be plausible for someone with the hero complex killing a bunch of people.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Apparently the first victims were his ex and her new boyfriend so I’m not sure that will be the case.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote