Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-10-2020, 04:34 PM   #4641
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

https://calgaryherald.com/commoditie...9-c606d76954e0

Nice to see a good news story get printed.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:36 PM   #4642
Leeman4Gilmour
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
But does he have the balls to say that at home in Alberta and not in Washington/elsewhere?
I read the article. I didn't see anything particularly "ballsy" in what he said. It's simply pragmatic.
Leeman4Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:39 PM   #4643
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
But does he have the balls to say that at home in Alberta and not in Washington/elsewhere?
I don't know why not. Everyone knows this. The whole point is maximizing the potential of our resource now while it's still widely used.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2020, 04:57 PM   #4644
accord1999
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

And given how energy poor much of the world is, even a gradual shift in percentage will still mean increased global consumption of oil and especially natural gas as India, SE Asia and Africa develop.
accord1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:58 PM   #4645
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Surprised you guys aren't talking about this more. These "protestors" disrupting transportation is dominating the news here (and nobody's talking about TMX any more, it's all about CGL, indigenous rights, UNDRIP and "unceded territory").
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:00 PM   #4646
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

It has been very bad here the last couple of days with ambulances being blocked on Broadway. One ray of hope is that average joe opinion of the protests is entirely negative.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 04:10 PM   #4647
Tron_fdc
In Your MCP

Exp:

Sorry for the long post, but this is what we were sent by CN:

We would like to update you on the status of the rail blockades on our network.

Due to the ongoing blockades on our network, we have been forced to implement the first wave of temporary network shutdowns. We have stopped moving traffic between Western and Eastern Canada to Prince Rupert, B.C.. We have stopped moving most goods destined to Western Canada and the US Midwest from customers east of the Montreal area.

Upwards of 300 trains have been canceled since the blockades began six days ago. Further shutdowns on our Canadian network will occur over the next few days unless the blockades come to an end immediately. We are staging and parking trains across our network forcing us to close off sections of the network to further traffic.

These shutdowns are impacting multiple supply chains across North America, from municipalities that require water treatment chemicals, to Canadian grain farmed in the Prairies, to airports that use jet fuel and deicing fluid, to containerized traffic of household goods and fresh perishable food items, to propane from Western Canada and lumber in B.C..

A number of you have asked what you can do to help. We appreciate the support you have shown us and encourage you to contact your government representatives to explain how these blockades impact your business, your employees and your customers.

We know that rail transportation is critical to your business and the overall economic health of Canada and to the general public who rely on the many products that are shipped by rail. We truly regret the major disruption this has caused you and your business.

Our entire team is committed to returning to the level of reliable service to which you are accustomed once the blockades are removed. We expect that the recovery will require time and a disciplined approach which will necessitate the full use of our assets, now greatly impeded by the Ministerial Order issued by the Transport Minister on February 6th. http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/railsafety/m...-mO-20-02.html

We thank you for your patience and remain committed to minimizing the impact, to the extent that we can, on our customers, our supply chain partners, the Canadian economy, trade in general and Canadians.

BACKGROUND

The blockade in Ontario is on our mainline in Tyendinaga, ON east of Belleville, ON. This blockade continues to block the movement of goods between Western and Eastern Canada and between Eastern Canada and Midwest USA. This is the 6th consecutive day that our double tracked mainline has been shut down.

The blockade in British Columbia is on our mainline in New Hazelton, BC, west of Smithers, BC. The blockade continues to block all traffic in and out of the Ports of Prince Rupert and Kitimat, BC. This is the 4th consecutive day that our main line has been shut down in this location.

A public statement from the individuals blocking the lines explained that their actions are in solidarity with the pipeline opposition movement and are unrelated to CN's activities. In Tyendinaga, ON and New Hazelton, BC, the court has issued Orders restraining any person from trespassing on CN’s right-of-way and interfering with CN’s operations. We continue to work with local enforcement agencies to enforce the orders; however, the protesters are refusing to comply.

Should you require any immediate assistance or further information please contact your Account Manager or Customer Service Representative.

Thank you,

We have containers and freight stuck all over the place. All that these protests are doing is pissing people off, really.
Tron_fdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #4648
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter12 View Post
It has been very bad here the last couple of days with ambulances being blocked on Broadway. One ray of hope is that average joe opinion of the protests is entirely negative.

Wait, they're blocking ambulances? That's a pretty scumbag move.

I'm worried that there is going to be an angry backlash against these protestors or worse and things are going to get out of hand.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 05:57 PM   #4649
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm worried that there is going to be an angry backlash against these protestors or worse and things are going to get out of hand.
I’m pretty sure that’s the hope.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:10 PM   #4650
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Cambie and Broadway is a very important intersection for ambulances headed to Vancouver General. They all had to be re-routed around. I also talked to some nurses and doctors who were prevented from going into work on the DTES because of the protests at the Port earlier this week.

The protestors are narcissistic scum.
The Following User Says Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 06:26 PM   #4651
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The protestors are narcissistic scum.
I think you should do a little research on what’s actually happening to the We’tsuwet’en people. Regardless of where people stand on pipelines, human rights violations and media blackouts being imposed by any government should be extremely concerning for Canadians.
iggy_oi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:28 PM   #4652
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iggy_oi View Post
I think you should do a little research on what’s actually happening to the We’tsuwet’en people. Regardless of where people stand on pipelines, human rights violations and media blackouts being imposed by any government should be extremely concerning for Canadians.
I'm not going to get into this but I have been working on the We'tsuwet'en file for over 5 years now. Curious about the human rights violations? You mean the rule of law enforced through a BC Supreme Court injunction??
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 06:32 PM   #4653
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know. It seems to me that the council they elected to represent them is in favour of this, and it's some hereditary chiefs who don't want it. I have no idea how you'll ever get to a point where every person has their say and agrees.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 06:43 PM   #4654
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have a source or more info on how constructing Coastal Gaslink natural gas pipeline is a violation of human rights? I don’t mean to ask this with any snark or attitude I genuinely want to know. I don’t quite get the logic of protesting a natural gas pipeline, that if there is a leak, simply dissipates into the air, unlike oil where environmental concerns probably have far more relevance.

Do you have sources for media blackouts, one way or the other? Honestly asking where you got that from because from what I’ve seen so far the comments and chitter chat is that anything there seems to be a media bias away from talking about how the large majority of the We’tsuwet’en people actually support the pipeline but a small group / handful are against it. If it’s anything like TMX where 120 groups were FOR the pipeline and 6 were AGAINST the pipeline, maybe we need to have a different kind of discussion about reasonability. But anyway, from what I have read, these are protestors that are external from the region and probably paid activist / protestors with no actual skin in the game. Why is the media not reporting this? Is that even true?

At any rate, seems like things are way more murky than you seem to insinuate. Sources please, mine are all Twitter bs so I’d genuinely like to see if you have qualified or relevant news / research to back up your claim on human rights and media blackouts.

These people should be railroaded, pun intended, and the fact we are here as a nation is a HUGE indictment on Canadian society IMO. If these are paid protestors from the US or other countries, this is effectively a sovereign economic attack on Canada and should be dealt with with the utmost importance and severity in response to defend Canadian assets and actually society at large to be honest.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mr.Coffee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 06:57 PM   #4655
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not going to get into this but I have been working on the We'tsuwet'en file for over 5 years now. Curious about the human rights violations? You mean the rule of law enforced through a BC Supreme Court injunction??
I spoke with someone from there last week, they aren’t opposed to the pipeline but things like the RCMP card checking individuals based on their race is not ok, nor is the arbitrary arrest of people for refusing to do that when they aren’t even actively protesting anything. I can appreciate that people will argue that these are anecdotal examples at best, however without any media coverage who are we to get the facts from if not the people experiencing it first hand? If the government were doing everything on the up and up there wouldn’t be a media blackout in the area, and as I previously said any media blackout in itself should be very concerning to any Canadian. If you want to debate whether or not a Supreme Court decision should be enforceable on unceeded land there are other posters who are more knowledgeable than I on such matters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slava View Post
I don't know. It seems to me that the council they elected to represent them is in favour of this, and it's some hereditary chiefs who don't want it. I have no idea how you'll ever get to a point where every person has their say and agrees.
I don’t think there is any easy or simple solution here, but the Canadian government going in and imposing their will on people while not allowing the media to closely cover it shouldn’t be part of the solution IMO.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:03 PM   #4656
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Coffee, we are way too nice and bleeding heart to see criminals treated as such.

They know this, and have leveraged it to get us to today.

Remember Standing Rock? That is how a country properly gets rule of law enforced. The rats scattered and regrouped in a place that is afraid to call the exterminator. Shame on us.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 07:17 PM   #4657
RubberDuck
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
I spoke with someone from there last week, they aren’t opposed to the pipeline but things like the RCMP card checking individuals based on their race is not ok, nor is the arbitrary arrest of people for refusing to do that when they aren’t even actively protesting anything. I can appreciate that people will argue that these are anecdotal examples at best, however without any media coverage who are we to get the facts from if not the people experiencing it first hand? If the government were doing everything on the up and up there wouldn’t be a media blackout in the area, and as I previously said any media blackout in itself should be very concerning to any Canadian. If you want to debate whether or not a Supreme Court decision should be enforceable on unceeded land there are other posters who are more knowledgeable than I on such matters.

I don’t think there is any easy or simple solution here, but the Canadian government going in and imposing their will on people while not allowing the media to closely cover it shouldn’t be part of the solution IMO.
Imposing their will or enforcing the law?
RubberDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RubberDuck For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #4658
iggy_oi
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Mr.Coffee

Journalists say RCMP blocked efforts to cover police raids on Wet'suwet'en camps

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/beta.ctv...1_4806267.html

Quote:
In the wake of the raids, numerous Canadian and International journalism organizations condemned the reports of press suppression, including Reporters Without Borders, Committee to Protect Journalists and Amnesty International.
“These journalists had every right to be there, documenting the events in Wet’suwet’en territory without threat of arrest,”Alex Neve, Secretary General of Amnesty International Canada, said in their statement. “In fact, at times of heightened tensions, concerns about human rights violations and the use of police force, the role of the media is essential.”
Not sure how to embed a tweet but here’s a video of RCMP threatening to arrest vice reporters for being in the area:

https://mobile.twitter.com/caj/statu...81260006993920

Considering we know there is a very large militarized police presence in the area and that there have been dozens of arrests already you would think there would be much more media coverage available to read and watch online. While the lack of news stories doesn’t necessarily confirm that there is certainly a media blackout, it doesn’t make a very strong case that their isn’t one either.

As I mentioned previously my comments about the human rights violations are based on anecdotal reports from an individual dealing with the situation on the ground, you’ll have to take that for what it’s worth. It would be nice if there were more coverage of what’s going on to paint a clearer picture.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:35 PM   #4659
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

My favourite part of the costal gas link fight, is the bloodline patriarchy stripping title from three women last year for supporting the line.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to burn_this_city For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2020, 07:49 PM   #4660
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure how to embed a tweet but here’s a video of RCMP threatening to arrest vice reporters for being in the area:

https://mobile.twitter.com/caj/statu...81260006993920

Interesting. What is it the rcmp call the area the reporters are in? The exclusion zone? Wonder what that means.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote