Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 09:30 PM   #2221
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think I would prefer just to make the picks instead of trading them for 19-23 years olds. The concern I have with the strategy of trading the picks is that it is usually for reclamation projects or young players projected to be depth players rather than impact players. I know you could just as likely end up with depth players with your 2nd round picks or late first round picks but I hope the scouting staff are taking “big swings” with those picks that could end up as top six forwards or offensive defencemen.

Someone mentioned Montreal as an example… they traded the 31st overall pick + 37th overall pick to Colorado for Alex Newhook. I like Newhook as a player but he still projects to be what he already is… a speedy 3rd line player. Those picks were used to draft Mikhail Gulyayev (Ottawa’s 1st/2nd best prospect) and Ethan Gauthier (the 2nd round pick was traded to Tampa and he is likely their top prospect now). I would rather have those two prospects in the system than Alex Newhook IMO. In fact, I would rather have Gulyayev alone than Alex Newhook.

These kind of moves also remind me of the Lazar trade. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I just would prefer the flames use 3rd round picks, 2nd round picks and late first round picks on high ceiling-type players rather than trade the picks for players that are likely to be 3rd/4th line players. The flames should be in no rush to get 3rd or 4th line players… instead, invest now in prospects that might need 3-4 years to develop but have a better chance to be impact players in the league at that point. Because that’s when the team will need them.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to stemit14 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 09:35 PM   #2222
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

We are definitely trading for Zegras and signing Stephenson to a huge contract in the off season. It is the Flames way, to try to be as mid as possible and never accept a rebuild.

Probably bring back Tanev too so we aren't a train wreck defensively.

I really hope I am wrong though.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:39 PM   #2223
YyjFlames
Draft Pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
$8.5M vs. $10.5M and still some hope that it’s just first year jitters on PLD’s side.

@ YyjFlames

Conroy talking about a winning culture is a joke - as the Flames don’t have one, and haven’t had one since the 80s.

If Conroy is to be believed, then the Flames aren’t changing philosophies and they’ll continue to be an organization that does not have a real shot at winning a championship.
Nah, I think that’s his point. He’s not saying they’ve had a winning culture, just that they need the vets to lead with that perspective so the younger guys adopt it as they get better (and not go full Buffalo/Ottawa/Arizona and forever be bad because they can’t mentally push pass the tough days).
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:42 PM   #2224
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett44 View Post
We are definitely trading for Zegras and signing Stephenson to a huge contract in the off season. It is the Flames way, to try to be as mid as possible and never accept a rebuild.

The Flames don't usually acquire such exciting names (except Kadri, maybe).
Last time they rebuilt/retooled, they signed Deryk Engelland for 3 years at 2.9

I'm expecting something more like that. And multiple similar signings.

But ideally, they'd sign players to 1 year deals and trade them for picks.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:48 PM   #2225
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

Yeah. Conroy said he’d basically stay out of the UFA market outside of shorter term deals. Have no reason to disbelieve at this point.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:49 PM   #2226
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post

My guess a 4 or 5 defencemen. Wouldn’t be surprised if a mangiapane for a similar type defencemen on a similar or slightly longer contract.

Just dont think their is much interest in eat bread and another defencemen would help we still have to field a team and honestly i dont really see it from anyone on the farm
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 09:59 PM   #2227
Goriders
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why? They are all good players.

You just want crappy players?

I think they will sign a defenseman and a center or aquire them via trade.

We have a ton of forwards but need a center. Our D is super watered down. We have a surplus of goalies.

Last edited by Goriders; 04-30-2024 at 10:01 PM.
Goriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:03 PM   #2228
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can see Conny swinging for a Zegras type player. That's in his shopping window. We should be looking at RFA statuses of young players and go from there.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:07 PM   #2229
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Barret Hayton is one that comes to mind. Especially if Utah is going shopping.

One of the Columbus RFAs, Dallas, Detroit and Carolina have a couple due.some raises.

I can see Conny swimming in that market. Absolutely. I bet he makes a deft trade too.
Old 04-30-2024, 10:08 PM   #2230
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Zegras seems like a selfish player. I would stay away.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 10:14 PM   #2231
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
Nah, I think that’s his point. He’s not saying they’ve had a winning culture, just that they need the vets to lead with that perspective so the younger guys adopt it as they get better (and not go full Buffalo/Ottawa/Arizona and forever be bad because they can’t mentally push pass the tough days).
Those teams are bad because of organizational instability.

Bad managers.
Bad coaches.
Bad drafting.
Bad developing.
Bad player & contract management.

Not some voodoo losing culture. Did Colorado have an irreparable losing culture when they drafted Mackinnon? Did Tampa Bay? If the Flames think there’s some magical losing culture, then they’re misdiagnosing why they’ve sucked for so long.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2024, 10:50 PM   #2232
traptor
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Barret Hayton is one that comes to mind. Especially if Utah is going shopping.

One of the Columbus RFAs, Dallas, Detroit and Carolina have a couple due.some raises.

I can see Conny swimming in that market. Absolutely. I bet he makes a deft trade too.

Yeah Hayton is one I could see.

I could also see a deal with ottowa. One of the centers or JBG/Brannstrom.

Zac Jones.

Wonder if the market could soften up on Lundell, given that he's had another 30 point season

Last edited by traptor; 04-30-2024 at 10:55 PM.
traptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 02:03 AM   #2233
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I can see Conny swinging for a Zegras type player. That's in his shopping window. We should be looking at RFA statuses of young players and go from there.
I actually see the opposite.I think Conroy will be looking for decent players that are overpaid short term: Orlov, Dvorak, etc.

In terms of RFAs 2D come to mind: Harley(if he can receive offer sheets), and Lindgren.

Last edited by gvitaly; 05-01-2024 at 02:06 AM.
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 06:09 AM   #2234
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stemit14 View Post
I think I would prefer just to make the picks instead of trading them for 19-23 years olds. The concern I have with the strategy of trading the picks is that it is usually for reclamation projects or young players projected to be depth players rather than impact players. I know you could just as likely end up with depth players with your 2nd round picks or late first round picks but I hope the scouting staff are taking “big swings” with those picks that could end up as top six forwards or offensive defencemen.

Someone mentioned Montreal as an example… they traded the 31st overall pick + 37th overall pick to Colorado for Alex Newhook. I like Newhook as a player but he still projects to be what he already is… a speedy 3rd line player. Those picks were used to draft Mikhail Gulyayev (Ottawa’s 1st/2nd best prospect) and Ethan Gauthier (the 2nd round pick was traded to Tampa and he is likely their top prospect now). I would rather have those two prospects in the system than Alex Newhook IMO. In fact, I would rather have Gulyayev alone than Alex Newhook.

These kind of moves also remind me of the Lazar trade. I know hindsight is 20/20 but I just would prefer the flames use 3rd round picks, 2nd round picks and late first round picks on high ceiling-type players rather than trade the picks for players that are likely to be 3rd/4th line players. The flames should be in no rush to get 3rd or 4th line players… instead, invest now in prospects that might need 3-4 years to develop but have a better chance to be impact players in the league at that point. Because that’s when the team will need them.
https://twitter.com/user/status/1785374377653207448

This was an interesting tweet I came across.

So yeah the draft is super important. We shouldn’t be wasting picks on a Lazar. Let’s draft more and let’s do a better job finding our own players.

Start a cycle of trading our own version of a Newhook for more picks because we are so deep in prospects.

This guy had Stankoven as 15 on his list. We had a prospect on his team. Seems like a miss to me. Obviously other teams passed as well, I’m just bringing that up as we should have had a better book because we had Zary.

Flipside they recognized Harley.

That’s why having picks are so important.
The Following User Says Thank You to Paulie Walnuts For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 06:53 AM   #2235
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think you do. I think some of you would be downright miserable if the team had success.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dissentowner For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 06:54 AM   #2236
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
Zegras seems like a selfish player. I would stay away.
Based on what?
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:20 AM   #2237
Rhett44
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I don't think you do. I think some of you would be downright miserable if the team had success.
No, I want the team to have success long term. I just don't see any path to that without being bad in the short term.

When we hear Darren Dreger who's cousin has a spot in management say that the Flames did not want to trade Markstrom because they thought they could go on a playoff run. Despite having such a bad team after the trades, it just doesn't make any sense to some of us.
Rhett44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 07:29 AM   #2238
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You think those moves would bring us success? lol

Zegras isn’t turning this around, and neither is Stephenson.

Just because people don’t want the team to add players and fight for 10th next season doesn’t mean they don’t want success.

I don’t think you have paid attention. We all want success. It’s not going to come tomorrow, and you don’t seem to be patient and that’s ok. You’re taking Conroy telling the media that he wants a competitive team to shoot for the playoffs. I think you’re taking that to heart. What else is he going to sell to his team?

The team wasn’t even using the word retool before, they called it the R word. Now we are openly talking retool which is to probably keep someone happy and not say rebuild.

We have made 1 hockey trade so far. The rest have all been for filler players, picks and prospects. Do you think that is a retooling team? Do you think a team is trading away their #1 goalie if they are retooling?

He talked about the difficulty in getting picks. I just can’t see someone turning around and giving them away.

Probably why he said rebuilding in Canada is hard. People want success but they don’t want to be patient. We are going to have to take some lumps here to get better. This roster is a bottom 5 roster, and we are going to suck next season, the season after as well.

Oh well.
Old 05-01-2024, 07:45 AM   #2239
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Most Flames fans are miserable because the way the organization operates never changes nor do the results. Since 2008 it's largely been teams outside of the playoffs with a small handful of good seasons sprinkled in. This is one of the least successful organizations in the NHL that's pretty well eroded all the goodwill they built in 2004 as things are trending back to pre-2004 levels of fan indifference around the city and southern Alberta. I'm pulling for Conroy but the organizational mandate provides him pretty well zero margins for error as he has to draft better than the rest of the league and win blockbuster trades for this to work out the way they want. I would love it if they could pull it off but it's not very realistic at all.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 07:59 AM   #2240
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Most Flames fans are miserable because the way the organization operates never changes nor do the results. Since 2008 it's largely been teams outside of the playoffs with a small handful of good seasons sprinkled in. This is one of the least successful organizations in the NHL that's pretty well eroded all the goodwill they built in 2004 as things are trending back to pre-2004 levels of fan indifference around the city and southern Alberta. I'm pulling for Conroy but the organizational mandate provides him pretty well zero margins for error as he has to draft better than the rest of the league and win blockbuster trades for this to work out the way they want. I would love it if they could pull it off but it's not very realistic at all.
That’s most Canadian teams.

Sometimes they don’t wait that extra year, and push in and every year it’s something new.

Look st the leafs as a recent hilarious example. Instead of being patient they see a shiny new toy in Tavares give him a bunch of money and trade Kadri and he helps Colorado win the cup.

Now every year they are trying to find the missing pieces. Now they have Bertuzzi and Domi and a bunch who tf are they playing on defence.

Tags
devils suck , e=ng , edmonton is no good , nj is no good