Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-30-2024, 03:34 PM   #541
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Hilarious that some people thought Conroy got owned in that trade.
Eh, I wouldn't call it "hilarious"... I mean they did get him extended at a very decent price and it's reasonable to have wanted/wished for more. But yeah, it's pretty far from "owned" in the way that I think of the term.

I will say that the 15th, 45th and 52nd overall picks in the 2015 NHL entry draft have appreciated nicely (that's what we paid to get Dougie Hamilton for our newer/younger members). Man... Treliving screwed the pooch here at the end but he absolutely nailed the 2015 draft like nobody's business.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 03:51 PM   #542
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Quote:
Pretty nice that we are very likely drafting top 10 next year. And that we own an unprotected '26 1st, along with our own.

Hilarious that some people thought Conroy got owned in that trade.
Which one was that, again? (not being facetious)
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2024, 04:09 PM   #543
butterfly
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanIn80 View Post
Which one was that, again? (not being facetious)
Probably the Hanifin one, since that's where we got that unprotected pick.
butterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to butterfly For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 09:44 AM   #544
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

FWIW, I read in this post about Doan working for Arizona and taking drafting Tij as he is good friends with Jarome. Cross-out that theory - Doan works for the Leafs, not the Coyotes, according to the article that Sureloss posted in the Phoenix thread.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...e-arizona-utah

Quote:
Doan worked for the Coyotes after his retirement as chief hockey development officer but had higher aspirations, eventually seeking to become their president of hockey operations in 2023. According to a source, he was told he "wasn't ready" for the position, a verdict handed down by the owner's son Alex Meruelo Jr., the team's chief brand officer who had taken a more active interest in the hockey operations department.
Doan, the franchise's most iconic player, left to join the Toronto Maple Leafs' front office.

Of course this doesn't mean that Arizona will or will not draft Tij, but just crossing off a theory that was being talked about in this thread. I didn't know that Doan had left for Toronto until I had read this article (article is a great read btw - thanks Sureloss).
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:07 AM   #545
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Question is, if Tij is gone and he's available does Conroy have the balls to take him?

For me it's a hard no, grew up in an upper class coastal city, going to hometown BU after snubbing the UofM and has the "I'm the man so I don't have to work hard" attitude.

Biggest risk in the draft for any Canadian team, one way or the other you just know he'll end up with Fox in NY or possibly Boston.
I agree with you but based on past discussions on this topic, you and I are in the minority, assuming that you'd also lean towards taking someone other than Eiserman if Tij is gone, Eiserman is available and another player that is slightly lower ranked on Calgary's list is also available.

If that scenario plays out and I have Eiserman plus other prospect both tied on my list, I'm going with the other dude assuming he is not playing in the NCAA assuming the lower ranking isn't significant. At no.9, the prospect will have options around the league compared to a prospect that is picked out of the top 10, like Coronato who did sign with the Flames.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 10:37 AM   #546
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary4LIfe View Post
FWIW, I read in this post about Doan working for Arizona and taking drafting Tij as he is good friends with Jarome. Cross-out that theory - Doan works for the Leafs, not the Coyotes, according to the article that Sureloss posted in the Phoenix thread.

https://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/...e-arizona-utah

Of course this doesn't mean that Arizona will or will not draft Tij, but just crossing off a theory that was being talked about in this thread. I didn't know that Doan had left for Toronto until I had read this article (article is a great read btw - thanks Sureloss).
The good news is we don't have to worry about Arizona drafting anyone....
Old 05-01-2024, 10:38 AM   #547
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t see any reason to take Eiserman with our pick. I don’t see the upside being worth the flight or bust risk (which are both higher than usual, I think) when there are guys who have little flight risk, similar upside, and won’t depend on literally one single skill to make the NHL.

Eiserman gives Yakupov vibes.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 10:56 AM   #548
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

I tend to agree - it's strange that his goal:assist ratio is 3:1. It screams a guy that's got a wicked shot, but doesn't think or compete well enough for his linemates to benefit.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:21 AM   #549
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fonz View Post
I tend to agree - it's strange that his goal:assist ratio is 3:1. It screams a guy that's got a wicked shot, but doesn't think or compete well enough for his linemates to benefit.
It's expected that pure snipers will score more goals than they accumulate assists. Matthews added only 38 assists to 69 goals this season as that's what happens when two linemates are frequently feeding the shooter on the line. The argument will always be if he makes his linemates better when he's not scoring but clearly he does when he is scoring as they are collecting a lot of primary and secondary assists.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:37 AM   #550
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
It's expected that pure snipers will score more goals than they accumulate assists. Matthews added only 38 assists to 69 goals this season as that's what happens when two linemates are frequently feeding the shooter on the line. The argument will always be if he makes his linemates better when he's not scoring but clearly he does when he is scoring as they are collecting a lot of primary and secondary assists.
That's probably why the Leafs suck.

I would rather have a classic centerman who drives the play, and makes it wingers better. Matthews is a shoot first player, a very good one, but not one you can win with.

You look at guys like Crosby, Mackinnon, McMickey, they all have the goal scoring ability as shown by high goal seasons but they all create as well.

We also have a guy in Coronato who was higher goal to assist ratio prior to this year.
Paulie Walnuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 11:43 AM   #551
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulie Walnuts View Post
That's probably why the Leafs suck.

I would rather have a classic centerman who drives the play, and makes it wingers better. Matthews is a shoot first player, a very good one, but not one you can win with.
It's one of the reason why I would be apprehensive about Lindstrom as well. Great shot and can finish, but not much of a puck distributor himself, which is something you normally want from a top line center. Matthews can get away with it more because he is probably the best pure goal scorer since Ovechkin, but I think that would be too much to expect from Lindstrom obviously.
Old 05-01-2024, 11:43 AM   #552
sevenarms
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Patrik Laine without the size
Old 05-01-2024, 11:46 AM   #553
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't overthink it. The hardest thing to do in the NHL is score goals. If there's a guy available that's an elite goal scorer and plays center, you have to seriously consider him.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 11:52 AM   #554
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Berkly Catton is going to fall to 9 for us so we don't even need to worry about this!

More likely though, Helenius is there and I'd rather him than Eiserman.
The Following User Says Thank You to The Fonz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 12:19 PM   #555
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Arguing that assists are better than goals? Bold strategy, Cotton!
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 01:09 PM   #556
YyjFlames
Draft Pick

Quote:
Pronman posted an article today on the 2019 draft and went into detail about Caulfield dropping to 15th when he was head and shoulders above the rest of the super talented NTDP team in scoring goals. Size was the big factor, but he argued he dropped too far.

His conclusion wasn't to draft Eiserman, as he sees him as less talented than Caulfield, but to instead draft Catton who he thinks has the full package. I've got no idea about who is a better prospect and Pronman often misses, but interesting perspective. Here's the article:

https://theathletic.com/5385735/2024...-kakko-seider/

Here's the hockeydb link on that 2019 team. Kind of interesting.

https://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/...065622019.html
YyjFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to YyjFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2024, 01:25 PM   #557
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if directed at me, but, I wasn't arguing that assists are better than goals.

If I were arguing anything, it was that a top 10 draft pick needs to do both.
Old 05-01-2024, 01:34 PM   #558
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by YyjFlames View Post
His conclusion wasn't to draft Eiserman, as he sees him as less talented than Caulfield, but to instead draft Catton who he thinks has the full package. I've got no idea about who is a better prospect and Pronman often misses, but interesting perspective. Here's the article:
Catton sounds like a player that has a tonne of tools and has a lot of dimension to his game. High hockey IQ and can impact the game in several different ways. Great skater, great play maker, and great shot. Not jaw dropping stick handling, but efficient.

If he is available at 9th OA, I would be happy with the pick. The only knock I heard is that he might project more to being a winger at the NHL level, but I don't care that match. Center or winger... the Flames need everything.
Old 05-01-2024, 02:56 PM   #559
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not sure if directed at me, but, I wasn't arguing that assists are better than goals.

If I were arguing anything, it was that a top 10 draft pick needs to do both.
not directed at you
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2024, 03:07 PM   #560
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think anyone is arguing that, but a good puck distributor who can elevate their linemates to score more can be more valuable than a player who scores more goals.

Who would you rather have on your team? Zach Hyman (54 goals), or Barkov/Barzal (23 goals each).