Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-2023, 02:08 PM   #1141
Muffins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
I agree that it's exciting from a Flames perspective.

I'm just afraid that elite talent will fall to the Oilers and they actually draft someone good.
Well, we pick twice before they have their first pick in the 2nd, so on the off chance that happens (not likely), the Flames would be partially to blame for that.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:11 PM   #1142
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffins View Post
Well, we pick twice before they have their first pick in the 2nd, so on the off chance that happens (not likely), the Flames would be partially to blame for that.
That's good, but I hope they make it 3 times.
That would make me feel better.

Gavin Brindley does seem like he'd be a steal if he went in the late 1st round.
Point per game in NCAA is quite impressive. Sounds like he's great in tight spaces and thinks the game very quickly. It could translate to the NHL.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #1143
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm just afraid that elite talent will fall to the Oilers and they actually draft someone good.
Elite talent consistently falls to whenever Deadmonton picks. They just don't pick any though.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:12 PM   #1144
CF84
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I agree that it's exciting from a Flames perspective.

The Oilers first pick is at #56. After that, they only pick in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. I wouldn't worry too much about Edmonton with the draft history they have outside the 1st round. Oilers fans should be the ones who are worried.
CF84 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CF84 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 02:23 PM   #1145
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Now that we know for sure that Conroy is going to be talent evaluator with the final decision at the draft, I am curious if that changes any prediction for whom the team is targeting.

It has been mentioned that Conroy was a major advocate for drafting Gaudreau and Philips, so we know he puts a high value on puck skills and creativity, and isn't deterred too much by size.

Which of the usual suspects projected around #16 fit that bill the most?
Old 05-23-2023, 02:46 PM   #1146
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
Now that we know for sure that Conroy is going to be talent evaluator with the final decision at the draft, I am curious if that changes any prediction for whom the team is targeting.

It has been mentioned that Conroy was a major advocate for drafting Gaudreau and Philips, so we know he puts a high value on puck skills and creativity, and isn't deterred too much by size.

Which of the usual suspects projected around #16 fit that bill the most?
Not really. Maybe Cristall?

I'd say Pelikka or Gulyayev on D, they of a smaller ish stature.

EDIT: Pelikka got a massive boost from the U-18s I suspect he will go between #6 and 10.

So any Russian would be my answer in total. Yeah, because any one of them would be top 10 is not for the passport. Yep.

Last edited by dammage79; 05-23-2023 at 02:55 PM.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 02:47 PM   #1147
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Man, I'm really on the Callum Ritchie train. Between him and Yager and Danielson, I'm really torn between the 3.
Old 05-23-2023, 02:48 PM   #1148
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cristall and Perreault would be the two that are highly skilled but questions about where in the top 20 they go due to size
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 02:49 PM   #1149
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Speed and skill, please!
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 02:51 PM   #1150
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF84 View Post
The Oilers first pick is at #56. After that, they only pick in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds. I wouldn't worry too much about Edmonton with the draft history they have outside the 1st round. Oilers fans should be the ones who are worried.

I would put that as "outside the 1st overall pick", I don't think they know how to pick unless it's first overall. Even then, they still effed up in picking Yakupov.
Old 05-23-2023, 03:08 PM   #1151
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
Man, I'm really on the Callum Ritchie train. Between him and Yager and Danielson, I'm really torn between the 3.
Based on recent scouting reports, I am really drawn to Ritchie and Heidt, but so many of the options sound good that I'll probably change my mind again tomorrow.
Old 05-23-2023, 05:18 PM   #1152
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Calum Ritchie and Nate Danielson are my faves for our pick.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 07:12 PM   #1153
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Draft Thoughts:

-Diminutive RW Jayden Perron had an amazing season, amassing 72 points in just 61 USHL games for the perrenial powerhouse Chicago Steel. That total puts him in a tie for 5th overall in the league, however- 6 of the top-12 leading scorers played for the Steel this season, so excitement over his numbers might have to be tempered slightly. Despite playing with the best of the USHL, Perron is a gifted offensive talent on his own. I would call him equal parts goal-scorer and playmaker, having both a high-end shot and release that he can get off accurately in full stride, and the elite offensive awareness to see the ice for plays to high-danger that few can find. He creates offense off the rush at full speed, or he can confidently slow the play down to scan and wait for the play to develop. He's a wizard at deception and manipulation, and he creates space for himself and teammates to get open. He's a play-driver, and can push pace. JP exudes a desire to make a difference in all 3 zones, and works diligently in the defensive zone to disrupt plays, clog lanes, and limit time and space- mostly with his positioning and his stick, as he shies away a bit from physicality due to lack of size and strength. Still, he will go to the battle zones if the play dictates it. On the transition, he can carry or pass it through as he exhibits good stickhandling and puck-protection, and he's said to be very successful in his entries. Skating-wise, he is quick with exellent agility and elusiveness, but he needs work on his explosiveness and top speed. Still, he is very slippery and can dart in and out of traffic, avoiding checks. He's only 5'9", and will need plenty of work on his strength in order to be sucessful at the next level- he already tends to avoid contact. 2nd/3rd round.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 07:27 PM   #1154
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Calum Ritchie and Nate Danielson are my faves for our pick.
I think with our scouts danielson will come out ahead. Long invisible stretches with calum isnt a good look.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2023, 08:09 PM   #1155
Paulie Walnuts
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
The have their list. If they value who's there when they pick they pick.

If they think they can move down 5 spots, gain a 3rd and draft someone that they deem to have equal value they do it.
The talent in our range looks too drop back for a 3rd that's why I used Zajac and Chucko.

Obviously I'm not a scout they could see things differently but the names in our band have me excited we could get a core piece.
Paulie Walnuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2023, 09:04 PM   #1156
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan69 View Post
I think with our scouts danielson will come out ahead. Long invisible stretches with calum isnt a good look.
True, Danielson is the better prospect right now, but keep in mind that these are 17/18 year olds. Ritchie disappeared for the first few games of the U-18’s, but came on to be one of team Canada’s best players. His skill, and physical attributes are undeniable- he just played for a poor team in the OHL, which hurt his numbers.
Old 05-23-2023, 09:09 PM   #1157
Fan69
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
True, Danielson is the better prospect right now, but keep in mind that these are 17/18 year olds. Ritchie disappeared for the first few games of the U-18’s, but came on to be one of team Canada’s best players. His skill, and physical attributes are undeniable- he just played for a poor team in the OHL, which hurt his numbers.
Dont get me wrong here with the players in this range they all bring tangible assets. I mean if i recall getzlaf had done effort concerns think he turned out all right. Unless were off the board here some solid solid guys in our range.
Fan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fan69 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 03:57 AM   #1158
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts:

-C Denver Barkey is a diminutive 5'8", but he's built like a fire hydrant at 174lbs. Barkey's true coming out party might have been in the OHL Playoffs, in which his team, the London Knights, made it all the way to the finals, losing in 6 games to the Peterborough Petes. In those playoffs, Barkey finished tied for 3rd on the Knights in scoring, with 24 points in 20 games, after a regular season in which he scored 59 points in 61 games, with only 13 of those points coming on the powerplay. Despite not being an elite straight-line skater, Barkey can drive play and push the pace. Much like Jayden Perron, he is more quick and shifty, with good edges and east/west agility, than outright fast, and his high motor masks some of his deficiencies. He exhibits good puck protection and stickhandling to go with his feet that enable him to be slippery, and move through traffic while evading checks. He's known to be more playmaker than goal-scorer, but 11 of his playoff points were goals, which equals half of his production in his 61 regular season games. His shot is not the strongest, but he has deception and a quick release, along with accuracy to help him in this area. His main attribute is his offensive IQ, his vision, and his ability to see and exploit open space to deploy passes to high-danger. He contributes to transition, and has that high-quality off-puck game where he knows where to be to make himself an option for passes on the breakout. He is defensively aware, but is often too small to physically engage, instead relying on his positioning, and his stick to kill plays and block lanes. I can't see Barkey playing the center position after his junior career ends, but he will need to get stronger and faster if he wants to play in the show. 3rd/4th round.

-5'9"C/W Luca Pinelli is another diminutive player who, like Denver Barkey, had a superb playoff run with 18 points in just 11 games for the Ottawa 67's, after a regular season that saw him post 63 points in 67 games. He was often Ottawa's best player in the playoffs, even outscoring Seattle draftee, and OHL star, Logan Morrison. Unlike other small players like Barkey and Jayden Perron, Pinelli plays with an edge and will initiate contact, and engage physically. He is a buzzsaw, and will not back down from the battle areas, and can play an agitator role. Offensively, Pinelli (who is the brother of LA Kings prospect, Francesco Pinelli) is a dual threat to shoot or pass, but is known more for his playmaking, and he can do both off the rush, or the cycle. He has a nice one-timer that can beat a goalie from long distance, with a good release. High IQ and vision, with grit and compete. He plays a well-rounded game, being able to compete in all three zones, and both sides of special teams. Defensively, he already plays a fairly refined game, and his specialty is his pick-pocketing abilty, and his work in transitioning the other way into offense. He's excellent at neutralizing his opponents sticks as well. Pinelli is a good skater, but needs a bit of work on his explosiveness, and top speed- his stride is said to be a bit short and choppy, though his acceleration is decent. I was a big fan of his brother's a few years back, and I like Luca as well- he has the makings of a middle-six NHLer someday. 2nd round.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-24-2023, 06:29 AM   #1159
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
More Draft Thoughts:

-C Denver Barkey is a diminutive 5'8", but he's built like a fire hydrant at 174lbs. Barkey's true coming out party might have been in the OHL Playoffs, in which his team, the London Knights, made it all the way to the finals, losing in 6 games to the Peterborough Petes. In those playoffs, Barkey finished tied for 3rd on the Knights in scoring, with 24 points in 20 games, after a regular season in which he scored 59 points in 61 games, with only 13 of those points coming on the powerplay. Despite not being an elite straight-line skater, Barkey can drive play and push the pace. Much like Jayden Perron, he is more quick and shifty, with good edges and east/west agility, than outright fast, and his high motor masks some of his deficiencies. He exhibits good puck protection and stickhandling to go with his feet that enable him to be slippery, and move through traffic while evading checks. He's known to be more playmaker than goal-scorer, but 11 of his playoff points were goals, which equals half of his production in his 61 regular season games. His shot is not the strongest, but he has deception and a quick release, along with accuracy to help him in this area. His main attribute is his offensive IQ, his vision, and his ability to see and exploit open space to deploy passes to high-danger. He contributes to transition, and has that high-quality off-puck game where he knows where to be to make himself an option for passes on the breakout. He is defensively aware, but is often too small to physically engage, instead relying on his positioning, and his stick to kill plays and block lanes. I can't see Barkey playing the center position after his junior career ends, but he will need to get stronger and faster if he wants to play in the show. 3rd/4th round.

-5'9"C/W Luca Pinelli is another diminutive player who, like Denver Barkey, had a superb playoff run with 18 points in just 11 games for the Ottawa 67's, after a regular season that saw him post 63 points in 67 games. He was often Ottawa's best player in the playoffs, even outscoring Seattle draftee, and OHL star, Logan Morrison. Unlike other small players like Barkey and Jayden Perron, Pinelli plays with an edge and will initiate contact, and engage physically. He is a buzzsaw, and will not back down from the battle areas, and can play an agitator role. Offensively, Pinelli (who is the brother of LA Kings prospect, Francesco Pinelli) is a dual threat to shoot or pass, but is known more for his playmaking, and he can do both off the rush, or the cycle. He has a nice one-timer that can beat a goalie from long distance, with a good release. High IQ and vision, with grit and compete. He plays a well-rounded game, being able to compete in all three zones, and both sides of special teams. Defensively, he already plays a fairly refined game, and his specialty is his pick-pocketing abilty, and his work in transitioning the other way into offense. He's excellent at neutralizing his opponents sticks as well. Pinelli is a good skater, but needs a bit of work on his explosiveness, and top speed- his stride is said to be a bit short and choppy, though his acceleration is decent. I was a big fan of his brother's a few years back, and I like Luca as well- he has the makings of a middle-six NHLer someday. 2nd round.
Who do you like more between Kasper Halttunen and Charlie Stramel?
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2023, 07:09 AM   #1160
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
it's not about being a fast skater. It's about being a good skater. People associate that with speed, but bad skaters can have OK straight ahead speed. What matters is edgework, quickness, and overall agility. When people talk about good/bad skaters, it's not just speed. It's all elements.
Amen. Rico Fata was quite the skater in the OHL. We all know how that turned out...

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft