Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2023, 01:47 PM   #1301
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

My top 32 is a bit different, but what's interesting is that I have the 4 guys you have listed from 15-18 as the exact 4 most likely to be the flames pick IMO
15. Danielson
16. Ritchie
17. Barlow
18. Wood
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Monahammer For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 01:49 PM   #1302
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
My top 32 is a bit different, but what's interesting is that I have the 4 guys you have listed from 15-18 as the exact 4 most likely to be the flames pick IMO
15. Danielson
16. Ritchie
17. Barlow
18. Wood
It's close, Really depends on how heavy the run on D men goes above the Flames pick. If the D men don't go, Danielson is surefire top 13.
Old 06-02-2023, 01:54 PM   #1303
NegativeSpace
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm curious about the process some of you do, as someone who struggles to just follow the Flames regularly. Do you individually follow players through junior and watch games? Do you read a bunch of different scouts analyzing the players? Are there scouts here?

No criticism from me as I appreciate the content and I find this page makes drafts more interesting to follow.
NegativeSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 02:04 PM   #1304
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeSpace View Post
I'm curious about the process some of you do, as someone who struggles to just follow the Flames regularly. Do you individually follow players through junior and watch games? Do you read a bunch of different scouts analyzing the players? Are there scouts here?

No criticism from me as I appreciate the content and I find this page makes drafts more interesting to follow.
It's just Fandom stuff. There's enough content on the internet to learn about as many players as you want. There's shift by shift video with no commentary, shift by shift video with commentary from scouts, hughl8ghts reels of all the good things these players do, plus there's a never ending supply of reading content from various draft guide scouts, reporters etc to paint as thorough a picture as you want and form an opinion that way. Or you can just go by what name you like.

There's ppl who write for Jr teams who see these guys day in and day out, it's nice to pay attention to those as well.

I've always just gone by reading up, then following the video trail on players I really like and try to see how the rankings break down across my spectrum of information gathering .

I'm just a fan of drafts and team building. And it gives me a reason to follow players through their careers and stay interested in the game. And it's fun. Definitely not super serious stuff by any stretch.
Old 06-02-2023, 02:23 PM   #1305
TheIronMaiden
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only 26 days until the draft.
TheIronMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheIronMaiden For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 02:41 PM   #1306
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
It's just Fandom stuff. There's enough content on the internet to learn about as many players as you want. There's shift by shift video with no commentary, shift by shift video with commentary from scouts, hughl8ghts reels of all the good things these players do, plus there's a never ending supply of reading content from various draft guide scouts, reporters etc to paint as thorough a picture as you want and form an opinion that way. Or you can just go by what name you like.

There's ppl who write for Jr teams who see these guys day in and day out, it's nice to pay attention to those as well.

I've always just gone by reading up, then following the video trail on players I really like and try to see how the rankings break down across my spectrum of information gathering .

I'm just a fan of drafts and team building. And it gives me a reason to follow players through their careers and stay interested in the game. And it's fun. Definitely not super serious stuff by any stretch.
Same here, Dammage.

Draft days are my Xmas eve/ Xmas day.
Sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2023, 03:24 PM   #1307
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
15. Danielson
16. Ritchie
17. Barlow
18. Wood
Someone we like will fall, there are too many possible good picks.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 03:38 PM   #1308
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

There's a small batch of outliers like Pastrnak but what is it with top end talent from Slovakia/Czech having iffy GAF meters ? Why the inconsistency?
Old 06-02-2023, 08:46 PM   #1309
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There's a small batch of outliers like Pastrnak but what is it with top end talent from Slovakia/Czech having iffy GAF meters ? Why the inconsistency?
Do they watch/play a lot of soccer?
Old 06-02-2023, 11:58 PM   #1310
Samonadreau
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Do they watch/play a lot of soccer?
Everybody in Europe does though.
Samonadreau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samonadreau For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 12:25 AM   #1311
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Perhaps it's a quality of competition issue. Could be variety of things though. Could simply be how hockey is taught and played over there
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kipper_3434 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 01:35 AM   #1312
Sandman
Franchise Player

Exp:

More Draft Thoughts:

-Left-handed RW Cole Brown is the type of player scouts love in the middle rounds of the draft. He stands 6'3", but only 170lbs, and scored 42 points in 60 games for the Hamilton Bulldogs, who had the 15th best offense out of 20 teams in the OHL. Fairly meager totals, but consider this: Star forward Logan Morrison was traded on January 6th to the Ottawa 67's by Hamilton for 6 draft picks, giving other players on the team like Brown more ice-time and responsibility. In 26 games before Morrison was traded, Brown had 13 points- but in 34 games after the trade, Brown had a much more palatable 29 points (hope my math is right). Looks to me like there might be a player there. Brown is a North-South power-forward, who actually has great speed in a straight line, with good edges and agility which, when combined with his puck-protection ability and stickhandling, gives him the ability to drive play. Still, he could use some work on his explosiveness and acceleration, but he's fast enough to occasionally beat opponents wide. CB keeps things simple, but effective, and he knows how to find open spaces in the offensive zone to facilitate scoring opportunities. He's a load to handle on the forecheck, around the net, and on the cycle, and he can be dominant along the wall in all 3 zones. Scouts say, however, that he hesitates in his decision-making, not fully trusting his instincts, which can often cost his team opportunity, and even possession. He also doesn't attack the middle lane enough. With only 17 goals, it's safe to say that he needs work on his shot, and his finishing skills. Defensively, he's aware, and makes smart plays with his positioning, reach, and stick to limit chances for opponents, but his physicality in this zone gets mixed reviews. Brown is still fairly raw, but if he can bulk up and get stronger, while working on his explosiveness, you have a prospect who could conceivably have the floor of a bottom-six winger with a splash of offense, and some PK ability. If he gets more aggressive in the middle, and cleans up his decision-making in addition, you could have a quality middle-six power-forward.

-6'0"176lb Slovakian LW Ondrej Molnar has to be excused for his paltry 19 points in 34 games for the second-worst offensive team in the OHL, the Erie Otters. He didn't have much time to adjust to North American hockey, after playing the first part of the year back home in the Slovakian top-tier Men's league, where he was the third-leading scorer for U-20 players, and first for U-18 players, with 5 points in 22 games. He was also Slovakia's leading scorer in the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup, with 3 points in 4 games. In 2021-22, he played in many different leagues back home, but most notably had the opportunity to play 30 games with that same top-tier team in Slovakia as a 16/17 year-old. Despite not making much of an impact this year offensively, Molnar is an offensive weapon who displays flashes of elite skill, IQ, and vision. He's an excellent skater who produces a fantastic top-speed, and is strong on his skates. Even on the smaller ice, he can complete offensive transitions with entries in full control, as he can stickhandle, make decisions, and execute at top-speed. This often begins with his willingness to support his teammates on the breakout, finding space to make himself an available option. His main tool offensively is his playmaking vision, having the skill to pull off dangerous, aggressive passes, and he stays unrattled under pressure while doing so. He has a good shot, but isn't using it enough, at least not on this side of the pond, and needs to go to the net, and attack the middle of the ice a lot more. Defensively, he has the smarts and speed to keep up and adjust to the play, and limit the time and space of puck-carriers,with a smart stick and the sense to know where to be. Still, he doesn't have the same impact in this zone as he does in the other two. This is clearly an unfinished player, with top-6 NHL potential, but he has some things to work on. Molnar appeared at 68 in MacKenzie's mid-year Draft-Rankings, so I'll say 3rd/4th round.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Sandman For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 02:03 AM   #1313
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would be shocked if Molnar isn't in the NHL within 4 years, he's one of those sponge type players with a tonne of drive, If he's available in the 4th round the flames need to grab this kid, he's a Coleman replacement down the road.
Snuffleupagus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Snuffleupagus For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 09:11 AM   #1314
UKflames
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samonadreau View Post
Everybody in Europe does though.
That will be a no from me, hate the game
UKflames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to UKflames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 09:14 AM   #1315
slash&burn
Draft Pick

As someone who doesn't follow many junior level players during the season I definitely appreciate all the input in this thread!

I also found blue chip prospect on YT has short but good player overviews:

slash&burn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slash&burn For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 12:45 PM   #1316
mile
Franchise Player

Exp:

Surprised to see that Red Line Report still exists. Their top 10:
https://twitter.com/user/status/1664998837084119041
mile is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mile For This Useful Post:
Old 06-03-2023, 01:46 PM   #1317
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon7 View Post
Was looking at Riley Height and noticed that the Dallas Stars signed undrafted Calgary-born Chase Wheatcroft to an ELC back in March. This is how it is done, Stars snap up a 6'2" 47 goal scoring overager / late bloomer. Wonder if the Flames were even in talks with this kid?

“This is how it’s done”?

Wheatcroft had 12 goals as a 19 year old and is now 21. He’s a dime a dozen junior player with an extremely low percentage of becoming an NHL player.

This isn’t about the Flames not having an inside track, it’s just likely most of the league doesn’t think there is anything substantial there.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2023, 10:30 AM   #1318
FCAV
Scoring Winger

Exp:

For those curious, we've dropped our Final ranking for the 2023 NHL Draft. We go 300 deep, free, on the site:

https://nhlentrydraft.com/rankings/

Draft guide coming later this week!

Aaaand, just for fun, an unlocked Matt Coronato scouting report from the IIHF Worlds, where two of us were live and in person: https://nhlentrydraft.com/news/prosp...-championship/
FCAV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to FCAV For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 11:40 AM   #1319
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
“This is how it’s done”?

Wheatcroft had 12 goals as a 19 year old and is now 21. He’s a dime a dozen junior player with an extremely low percentage of becoming an NHL player.

This isn’t about the Flames not having an inside track, it’s just likely most of the league doesn’t think there is anything substantial there.
To be clear, what I mean by "this is how it is done" is finding potential diamonds in the rough like Wheatcroft without giving up futures. All the Stars had to give up was a contract slot. The Flames have drafted overagers in later rounds that weren't even close to a Wheatcroft, and yet I see Flames fans defending those picks while at the same time criticizing me for saying the likes of Wheatcroft are lottery tickets worth scratching. I don't even understand the criticism, if it at most costs you an AHL salary, why not take a chance? If the kid can't hack it in the AHL, he becomes one of the Flames multiple ECHLers that they actually drafted.

Last edited by cannon7; 06-04-2023 at 11:44 AM.
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cannon7 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2023, 02:28 PM   #1320
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope Koehn Ziemmer is taken if he’s available in the second round.
The kid had 89 points and 41 goals in 68 games in the WHL. A nearly 200 lb RW from Alberta. FC hockey has his ranked 46th.

Perhaps the Flames could trade for one of Detroit's three consecutive 2nd round picks (41/42/43). Detroit needs defense. Tanev, Zadorov, etc. would have value. Tanev is probably worth more than one of these 2nds on his own. Detroit has a lot of cap space as well.

Last edited by 1qqaaz; 06-04-2023 at 02:34 PM.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:

Tags
2023 nhl draft , nhl draft , nhl entry draft