Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-24-2021, 01:59 PM   #1
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Sold: 65” Panasonic Plasma VT60

Thinking of selling my 65” Panasonic Plasma VT60. Bought from Memory Express in 2014. At the time it was the absolute best picture you could get in a TV, and was until OLED came out. Still crushes LED in black levels and motion blur.

I think it is a fantastic set, and if not for the wife blocking a move from my home theater to the bedroom (thinks it will look silly) I would keep it. So in comes an OLED and out goes my beloved plasma.

No observable burn in, limited hours as I got it when I had my second child. Has the remote and stand although it was wall mounted all this time.

Not sure what to sell it at, as it won’t complete with the TCL and Hisense of the worlds, but will beat it on picture for movies and especially sports 10x over.

Thinking $800 but if you love plasmas lets chat. This would make a crazy good TV for just about any Man Cave.

Last edited by OldDutch; 02-06-2021 at 04:13 PM.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 02:47 PM   #2
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

do you realize how much TV you can get for $800 these days?

IMO your price will need to come down big time for a 7 year old TV
Old 01-26-2021, 07:59 PM   #3
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
do you realize how much TV you can get for $800 these days?
Do tell. Name a better dark room TV for $800. Hell, name one for double that amount.

Go ahead, I'll wait.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-26-2021, 11:21 PM   #4
Draug
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'll be honest, I havent kept up with TV's too much in the number of years, other than a passing interest. But, as far as I know, unless you spend a substantial amount of money on a good OLED, it is still hard to beat the PQ of a good plasma with a good refresh rate.

I am still rocking my 65" Panasonic TH-65PZ750U, which was the high grade professional Panasonic circa 2008! So ya, it is old, but just looking in stores, I would still put it up against anything under $2000.

Especially for refresh rates and brightness needed for gaming and hockey watching.

I do wish I could find the spare money to upgrade though.
Draug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2021, 11:51 PM   #5
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
Do tell. Name a better dark room TV for $800. Hell, name one for double that amount.

Go ahead, I'll wait.
that is heavy, seven years old, no warranty, 1080p

not saying its a bad TV but $800 GL

I would take a Series 5 4k QLED Smart TV with 5 years warranty for the same price and I suspect most would do the same

anyway like I said IMO...OP can ask whatever he wants, I hope he gets it...might have to drop it though

Last edited by dino7c; 01-26-2021 at 11:56 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 09:52 AM   #6
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

There are a few circumstances where you would want to buy a $1000 current LED over this TV.

1. You watch a lot of 4k content and sit less than 8 feet from where you want to put this thing. This TV cannot display 4K content. Such content is pretty rare, and for a 65" set you'd have to be sitting pretty close for 4K to even matter, but for the few people who are in this category, makes sense.
2. You want to put the TV in a bright room. LEDs have always been brighter and better with glare. Current sets even more so.
3. You've found another TV on deep discount and are really getting a higher-end set for $1000.
EDIT: I guess I should add,
4. You are a competitive gamer whose top priorities are input lag and response.

Frankly what the OP was intending to use it for - a bedroom TV - it's basically perfect, especially if you have a blackout shade. That's exactly what I use my 65ST60 for. I'd probably buy this if I didn't already have that TV.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 01-27-2021 at 09:56 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2021, 11:00 AM   #7
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
There are a few circumstances where you would want to buy a $1000 current LED over this TV.

1. You watch a lot of 4k content and sit less than 8 feet from where you want to put this thing. This TV cannot display 4K content. Such content is pretty rare, and for a 65" set you'd have to be sitting pretty close for 4K to even matter, but for the few people who are in this category, makes sense.
2. You want to put the TV in a bright room. LEDs have always been brighter and better with glare. Current sets even more so.
3. You've found another TV on deep discount and are really getting a higher-end set for $1000.

Frankly what the OP was intending to use it for - a bedroom TV - it's basically perfect, especially if you have a blackout shade. That's exactly what I use my 65ST60 for. I'd probably buy this if I didn't already have that TV.

The TV I mentioned is $750 at Costco for a 65" brand new not $1000. Anyway like I said GL to the seller

Last edited by dino7c; 01-27-2021 at 11:06 AM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2021, 01:07 PM   #8
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not a buyer but I have the 50inch version of this, although a bit older. Stellar TV and it's been our primary TV since I bought it in 2012 (I think?). The picture is amazing. I can only imagine this one would be even better.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #9
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm half tempted to pick this up to have a spare when mine eventually dies.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2021, 11:27 AM   #10
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wow who knew I could make Dino unhinged by asking if anyone wanted my TV? Sorry dude.

Like I said, I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone is interested. If your not, no worries, feel free to look at TCL or Hisense like I mentioned. Many people want 4K or HDR, and I get that.

However, if you are a person who really understands display and TV technology (and we are not the majority) you will know the value of this set is. I also said I had no idea what it was worth outside researching resale prices online in Canada. They are reselling at that price point, but always happy to discuss price as mentioned. I am not in a rush or desperate.

I get Dino outrage as my spouse is the same way. If it were up to her we would have a 15 year old 40" LCD in our main room. Cause TVs are all the same right? Then I start asking why she is paying more for a rare but used Chanel bag... totally different!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
pylon
NOT Chris Butler

Exp:

Quote:

I have a 50" Samsung Plasma circa 2014 or so that I use in my home office which gets a ton of light. Plus it's my gaming TV. I have yet to come across an LED option of any kind that matches it's performance, especially in a bright room.

I know what you are talking about.
pylon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 12:21 PM   #12
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I think it is a fantastic set, and if not for the wife blocking a move from my home theater to the bedroom (thinks it will look silly) I would keep it.

I have a 55 in my bedroom and love it-Old plasma just like this one. Just Do it
aaronck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2021, 02:11 PM   #13
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronck View Post
I have a 55 in my bedroom and love it-Old plasma just like this one. Just Do it
Size is issue unfortunately. Even getting a 55” up there was a struggle. If I can’t sell it and my OLED comes I may have a case but knowing my wife she will suggest giving it to relatives. Which would be a total waste from a use perspective (where is the coax input!?!)

Anyways, funny the churn this caused, but good know there are people who got the same enjoyment out of this set as I do!
Old 01-30-2021, 05:12 PM   #14
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wow who knew I could make Dino unhinged by asking if anyone wanted my TV? Sorry dude.

Like I said, I am just throwing it out there to see if anyone is interested. If your not, no worries, feel free to look at TCL or Hisense like I mentioned. Many people want 4K or HDR, and I get that.

However, if you are a person who really understands display and TV technology (and we are not the majority) you will know the value of this set is. I also said I had no idea what it was worth outside researching resale prices online in Canada. They are reselling at that price point, but always happy to discuss price as mentioned. I am not in a rush or desperate.

I get Dino outrage as my spouse is the same way. If it were up to her we would have a 15 year old 40" LCD in our main room. Cause TVs are all the same right? Then I start asking why she is paying more for a rare but used Chanel bag... totally different!
outraged and unhinged lol

Just suggested you price was high...$800 buys a lot of TV these days and they are only getting cheaper. In fact people have sent me private messages saying I am right but didn't want to call it out on here.

GL with your sale
Old 01-31-2021, 10:21 AM   #15
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I still don’t know what causes people to go on sale threads like this.

I sell a lot of stuff here and all of it is below fair ask. I am happy to to avoid Kijiji and the people here are solid.

Again, 3rd time here saying this. I threw a price out. I said I was not firm. I said lets talk. I am not some con artist trying to hock junk goods.

But if you and the shadows want to chuckle secretly have at er. Things are slow these days I guess.
Old 01-31-2021, 10:25 AM   #16
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I still don’t know what causes people to go on sale threads like this.

I sell a lot of stuff here and all of it is below fair ask. I am happy to to avoid Kijiji and the people here are solid.

Again, 3rd time here saying this. I threw a price out. I said I was not firm. I said lets talk. I am not some con artist trying to hock junk goods.

But if you and the shadows want to chuckle secretly have at er. Things are slow these days I guess.
I'll give you about 3.50. Best I can do.

This is a hopping thread about a plasma TV.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2021, 04:59 PM   #17
ricosuave
Threadkiller

Exp:

Ive bought a few things from OldDutch, and the price was fair, and the quality great.

For all of you bitching in his FS thread, read this, particularly the large colored font point.

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=140516

Not sure why the mods have allowed it to go off the rails, since it seems to be more than just discussion.
The Following User Says Thank You to ricosuave For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2021, 11:35 AM   #18
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Thanks Rico, appreciate the feedback.

I would have appreciated a PM the effect of "hey man, why so expensive when I can get a TCL 5 series for same price?"

Somehow I doubt that was ever the point. Anyways, I get there are always those people in the bunch, but this one has rubbed me the wrong way about posting in Buy/Sell. I come here to avoid this nonsense Kijiji is known for. Not sure if I should bother anymore.
Old 02-04-2021, 12:49 PM   #19
woob
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The fact that there are multiple Panasonic Plasmas listed on eBay, in the range of 400 all the way to $2000 (fully refurbished), tells me your price is a fair ballpark. The fact that you said in the opening post "let's chat" further confirms that your intention is to be fair.
woob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to woob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 04:13 PM   #20
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sold, thanks again CP!