Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-20-2021, 12:13 PM   #61
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

- Buying cheap tickets and moving down to the lower bowl cause it was empty.

- Wendy JBC's in the Saddledome for $1.99.

- Freddy chants.

- Going to all the Fan Rally things (forget what they were called) and meeting Bure, Freddy, Iginla, Savard, etc.

- Getting to go down by the Zamboni entrance after games and getting autographs from the Flames players and opposing teams.

- Getting free tickets all the time.

- Going down to the glass during warmup and taking film photos (lol) of the opposing players that only visited once every 2 years.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rohara66 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 12:15 PM   #62
rohara66
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
I recall the first time I went to Calgary to see the Flames live. I think it was 1997. I purchased tickets in the nosebleeds and about 10 minutes into the 1st period, an usher came and asked us if we wanted to move down to better seats. I assume it was to fill out the lower bowl so it looked better on TV.

Had this happen many times. They always would move full rows (which usually had like 5-10 people max down to the lower bowl for games that were televised.

Most games were not televised.

Anyone remember Flames PPV games lol. Pretty sure that was post-2004.
rohara66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 12:17 PM   #63
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Loved how clear Beasley's voice (and the crowd) sounded on the radio during goal announcements.
Old 01-20-2021, 04:11 PM   #64
krazycanuck
Won the Worst Son Ever Award

Exp:

Lots of memories pre-'04

-The flying coke bottle and canadian airlines air ships that would fly around at intermissions and drop envelopes. I always wanted to get one just to find out what the heck was inside

-Going to the first Flames/Mighty Ducks game and wondering how there was such a thing as Ducks fans. Even 9 year old me knew they were stupid.

-The year they switched from one zamboni to two zambonis...double the fun to watch in half the amount of time.

-The Flames destroying the lightning 10-0 one game with Fleury getting a hat trick with about 30 seconds left

-Buying tickets one New Years Eve for $20 a pair to sit centre ice second level from some scalper outside just before puck drop

-$5 ticket vouchers for the nosebleeds in a case of coke from Safeway. Went to so many games this way!

-Thinking the nosebleeds were the best place to watch a game pre-dome renovation (and pre-jumbotron) as they had the big projection TV's that would show instant replays...if the game was televised.

-Crazy bread!

-$15 student nights while in high school.

-my elementary school librarian handing out unused Flames tickets for the 1991-1992 playoffs (we missed) to be used as book marks.

-Reading give it a shot!

-signing Phil Housley seemed like a big deal at the time

-The Flames/ducks brawl. Mooning the ducks bus as they left the 'dome that night.

-Pre 9/11 being able to go right down to where the away teams bus would park and getting autographs

-Not really Flames related, but Saddledome and hockey: Old Timers games always felt like such a big deal, they would sell the place out (although I think the tickets were all pretty much just given away)

-Rocky Thompson. When there was nothing else to cheer about. One night he got into a fight super early on and basically got benched. The Flames were losing badly and the few remaining fans were chanting his name until the coach gave in and he finally came back out onto the ice. Can't remember if he fought that time though

-Sasha Lakovic jumping over the glass in Edmonton after an Oilers fan dumped a beer on Guy Lapointe's (our assistant coach) head.

-Bearcat Murray with his special grippy shoes full sprinting onto the ice for an injury.

-The streaker

-Harvey Vs McTavish and the Rally Tongues
krazycanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to krazycanuck For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 04:48 PM   #65
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

I was too young to really appreciate it, but I was at game 1 of the ‘86 SCF. I was only 7 at the time.

Was at game 2 of the 1994 first round series. The game that just about ended Gary Roberts’ career. Fraser still sucks, incompetent reffing nearly ended a career.

The hype of watching Iginla coming in for the last 2 games of the 1996 playoffs.

Still angry about the Weimer/Rob Neidermeier trade, weimer was already better, then we just happened to throw in our LEADING SCORER on top.

Watching Iggy breakout in 2001-02, leading the scoring race from wire to wire.
Old 01-20-2021, 05:08 PM   #66
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

1985. My dad was watching hockey - which was rare. Me asking

-Which team is Canadian dad? .. they both are
-Which team is closer to Alberta? .. they are both in Alberta actually
-Which is closer to Rocky Mountain House? ... I am not actually sure ..about the same.
-ohh ... you were born in Calgary if that helps.
-Ok! Go Flames!!

*phew close call!!!!
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Yrebmi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-20-2021, 06:04 PM   #67
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohara66 View Post
Had this happen many times. They always would move full rows (which usually had like 5-10 people max down to the lower bowl for games that were televised.

Most games were not televised.

Anyone remember Flames PPV games lol. Pretty sure that was post-2004.
Most games were televised, just not all of them. Two-thirds of the home games, at least. I do remember the PPV, but I did not know anyone who actually paid for it...

Speaking of the TV coverage, I miss the games on 2&7/Calgary 7.
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:11 PM   #68
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Kissing Pierre Page’s daughter in the playground.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2021, 06:36 PM   #69
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by heep223 View Post
Kissing Pierre Page’s daughter in the playground.
So that is why you're now allowed within 30' of an elementary school!
Old 01-20-2021, 07:57 PM   #70
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Stories of former Flames coach Pierre Page breaking/kicking down the doors to his office.

A friend of a friend was the carpenter for the Flames at that time and often commented on replacing Page's door. Page had a temper and often took it on his door.
Old 01-20-2021, 08:07 PM   #71
Doctorfever
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Stories of former Flames coach Pierre Page breaking/kicking down the doors to his office.

A friend of a friend was the carpenter for the Flames at that time and often commented on replacing Page's door. Page had a temper and often took it on his door.
I would have a temper too if some creeper was chasing my daughter around the playground. Lol.

Old 01-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #72
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctorfever View Post
I would have a temper too if some creeper was chasing my daughter around the playground. Lol.

I maintain to this day that she was chasing me and I begrudgingly conceded.

I was really good at kickball so
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-21-2021, 05:51 PM   #73
Save Us Sutter
I'll get you next time Gadget!

Exp:

Shawnski's game thread goal light graphic

Save Us Sutter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Save Us Sutter For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2021, 12:03 AM   #74
fleuryisgod
Scoring Winger

Exp:

So going a way back on this one but one of the best memories I have goes back to 1992, I was only 9 so not sure if it was 1991-1992 season or 1992/1993 season but this was the year I turned one set of tickets into 3 and sorta won my family a minivan!

Back then the flames did a shoot-out contest for some of the intermissions, to get in apparently your ticket stub would randomly get drawn. So for Christmas my uncle gives me two tickets to my first game ever! My Dad and I go together and then they do the announcement of the seats that were drawn for the shoot-out contest that game. What do ya know, my ticket is drawn!

Well apparently 9 year olds aren't allowed to enter so my dad goes in for me. Starts off with three contestants shooting from the close blueline to the net, most shots in out of ten then get to shoot from the blueline to the far net, if you get it in then you advance to the next round. Well my dad happened to win the ten shot contest and then got it into the net from the far blueline! Sweet I get to go to another game. Next round was the semi's, very simple rules, shoot from the far blueline again and if it's in you advance to the finals. Well again my dad gets it in, more free tickets for me! So onto the finals, very simple rules again, shoot from the far blueline, miss you're out, get it in and shoot again. My dad goes first, gets it in and from there the other 5ish people miss and we win a car! It was supposed to be a Chrysler Intrepid but my parents went all out and upgraded to a minivan. So for me that was a pretty awesome season, all I have left now is a hat they gave out too. When I turned 16 and got my drivers license I was able allowed to use the minivan for a while too, even drove it down to California on a road trip with friends too.

I also ushered at the dome from the late 90's until Christmas time 2003, only game I remember specifically from that whole time was the brawl against Anaheim, what a fantastic game.

Oh...and said hat.
fleuryisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to fleuryisgod For This Useful Post: