Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #321
#-3
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimSJ View Post
Hey all,

Question for those of you with Novice 07-08 aged kids across the country

Are you guys playing full ice or half ice. Our local minor hockey association has changed things this year without announcing to anyone. Actually they still haven't officially said anything yet. To all games for novice 1 (08) will be cross ice and next year will expand to novice 2 next year as well.

We also have no tiering here in novice all teams are balanced so you have all skill levels together on each team.

How does Novice work in your local minor hockey?

Thanks
Tim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Novice has always been full ice here in Calgary, and has Tryouts with divisions at he community level.
They don't start regional teams AA / AAA at that age.

Timbit/Tyke (5/6 yo)is often half, but I've seen full ice games, I think right now they just split it into first year and second year players regardless of age

Last edited by #-3; 11-02-2015 at 07:59 PM.
#-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to #-3 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 PM   #322
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

In what I would say is a very unexpected turn of events, the coach informed my son he is starting tomorrow. Apparently he loves the work ethic my son has shown......seems like a real slap in the face/kick in the pants to one of his regular goalies.

Rims just - when my son played novice practices were two teams sharing ice, but games were all full ice. I have heard that on occasion some communities will run three novice practices on one sheet. I can't imagine what a gong show that would be.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:47 PM   #323
Deegee
First Line Centre

Exp:

In our association (Didsbury) novice runs full ice for a practice and the leisure ice (half size) for another.

A parent has rented the ice year round for an additional night a week so there are optional full ice practices on the full ice if a game is not scheduled then.

TimSJ, our association did not tier novice last year and stuck them in an exhibition league which was a colossal failure IMO as the teams steamrolled the competition in their small leagues (games of 12-1 were very common). This year we have the bottom teams in the exhibition and sent the top team into a tiering league which has provided much closer games for the top grouping of kids and the other groupings, too. All novice games are full ice.
Deegee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Deegee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-02-2015, 10:36 PM   #324
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Hey all,

Question for those of you with Novice 07-08 aged kids across the country

Are you guys playing full ice or half ice. Our local minor hockey association has changed things this year without announcing to anyone. Actually they still haven't officially said anything yet. To all games for novice 1 (08) will be cross ice and next year will expand to novice 2 next year as well.

We also have no tiering here in novice all teams are balanced so you have all skill levels together on each team.

How does Novice work in your local minor hockey?

Thanks
Tim

Our son played the Bow River House League - Novice last year, and now part of the NW House League (Bow River, Crowfoot & NW warriors) - Novice this season.

Both years games on full ice; and practices use full ice; but the drills are pretty much 1/3 ice unless the coaches have full ice skating drills.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno099 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 07:43 AM   #325
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

thanks all.

We have balanced teams no tiering shared ice practices and full ice games in Novice up to this point and we started this year under the same impression now month into things we are being told that they are changing Novice 1 this year to Cross Ice/Half ice for all games and moving to the same for next year for Novice 2 as well.

I don't disagree that the cross ice is not necessarily a bad thing for kids of this age and majority of their skill levels.

My issue is with the change mid stream. i have a kid that has been in 3 years of minor hockey and hasn't gotten to play a real minor hockey game yet. This was to be the year. Now i have to tell him he has to wait 2 more years to atom to play a game.

He plays outside of Minor hockey as well so he is going to get his full ice games but I am disappointed. seems to have come out of the blue so wanted to see what other associations around the country are doing

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 07:50 AM   #326
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

We play full rink for Novice, always have as far as I know.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 02:47 PM   #327
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Novice in Calgary Minor all have games on full ice. In my area practices were both shared and full ice (usually shared was staggered so it was full ice for at least part). Big thing about Novice (at least back then) - no regular goalies.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:29 PM   #328
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
thanks all.

We have balanced teams no tiering shared ice practices and full ice games in Novice up to this point and we started this year under the same impression now month into things we are being told that they are changing Novice 1 this year to Cross Ice/Half ice for all games and moving to the same for next year for Novice 2 as well.

I don't disagree that the cross ice is not necessarily a bad thing for kids of this age and majority of their skill levels.

My issue is with the change mid stream. i have a kid that has been in 3 years of minor hockey and hasn't gotten to play a real minor hockey game yet. This was to be the year. Now i have to tell him he has to wait 2 more years to atom to play a game.

He plays outside of Minor hockey as well so he is going to get his full ice games but I am disappointed. seems to have come out of the blue so wanted to see what other associations around the country are doing

My understanding that in the long run you child will be better off for having played more cross/half ice hockey.

It always pained me to watch kids play full ice and struggle getting up and down the ice.

In my town, the Dynamite kids are half ice. In Novice it is full ice, but rumors exist that this will change.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:31 PM   #329
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by undercoverbrother View Post
My understanding that in the long run you child will be better off for having played more cross/half ice hockey.

It always pained me to watch kids play full ice and struggle getting up and down the ice.

In my town, the Dynamite kids are half ice. In Novice it is full ice, but rumors exist that this will change.
Dynamite = TimBits?
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 03:33 PM   #330
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Dynamite = TimBits?

Yeah sorry.

Once thing that confuses/frustrates me with Hockey is the lack of leadership from Hockey Canada.

If cross ice is the best option for player development, or hell fun, then just mandate it. Currently, I believe it is a soft suggestion.

Quote:
Old 11-03-2015, 03:42 PM   #331
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Novice in Calgary Minor all have games on full ice. In my area practices were both shared and full ice (usually shared was staggered so it was full ice for at least part). Big thing about Novice (at least back then) - no regular goalies.
My son plays Novice here is Calgary and all games are full ice. Most practices are half ice, shared with another team with a few full ice practices mixed in there.

Players all rotate between all positions still.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 04:36 PM   #332
mikeecho
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah sorry.

Once thing that confuses/frustrates me with Hockey is the lack of leadership from Hockey Canada.

If cross ice is the best option for player development, or hell fun, then just mandate it. Currently, I believe it is a soft suggestion.
The problem is that parents lose their f---ing minds with changes that are viewed as unconventional because everyone is an expert.

Rinks are too big and pucks are to heavy for novice aged kids but anyone proposing to change things is facing a huge up hill battle and a massive pain in the back that'll probably make them just want to quit.

I asked at one time why novice kids weren't using the lighter blue pucks and the guy from Hockey Alberta looked at me sideways and told me it was attempted but parent outrage was off the charts to the point where they just moved back to the black pucks.

How is little Johnny in Calgary playing with a blue puck at age 7 supposed to make the NHL when little Billy in Toronto has been playing with a black puck all his life?!
mikeecho is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mikeecho For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 05:04 PM   #333
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Without wading too deep into this conversation, some of it comes across as pageantry, and it's so unattractive.

It's why I left hockey at 15 to snowboard, over 20 years ago. I resented hockey for a bunch of years after, and I remain jaded.

Returning to hockey as an adult with my friends 10 years ago, brought the love back.

You know why?

I started having fun again.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM   #334
indes
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_wmh View Post
Without wading too deep into this conversation, some of it comes across as pageantry, and it's so unattractive.

It's why I left hockey at 15 to snowboard, over 20 years ago. I resented hockey for a bunch of years after, and I remain jaded.

Returning to hockey as an adult with my friends 10 years ago, brought the love back.

You know why?

Yup, I soured on "elite" minor hockey after one year and went back to community. Was a lot more fun and got to do a bunch of other stuff like snowboarding and snowmobiling.
indes is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to indes For This Useful Post:
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 PM   #335
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

So my son did get the start tonight, I would say he played ok. Final score was a 3-3 tie.

My son had a night of everything.....a couple of soft goals, some good luck, and a few amazing saves. I think if he had more ice time at this level, the game is a 3-1 win......felt like a long night for me as I left work at 3, went home, drove across tow to rink, and then got home at 8.40.

He is going to be skating with them for the balance of the week, with his own team having games in the mix as well
Old 11-04-2015, 11:20 AM   #336
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeecho View Post
The problem is that parents lose their f---ing minds with changes that are viewed as unconventional because everyone is an expert.

Rinks are too big and pucks are to heavy for novice aged kids but anyone proposing to change things is facing a huge up hill battle and a massive pain in the back that'll probably make them just want to quit.

I asked at one time why novice kids weren't using the lighter blue pucks and the guy from Hockey Alberta looked at me sideways and told me it was attempted but parent outrage was off the charts to the point where they just moved back to the black pucks.

How is little Johnny in Calgary playing with a blue puck at age 7 supposed to make the NHL when little Billy in Toronto has been playing with a black puck all his life?!

Yeah, agreed. But, the counter to that is, Hockey Canada should be a leader, and force change. As the "informed" it is their job to educate the uninformed masses.

Quote:
Old 11-04-2015, 11:23 AM   #337
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You know why?

Minor hockey isn't about Fun buddy. We are creating winners and that can only be done by winning at all costs.

On a serious note, happy you found you love of the game. All I want my kids to take out of their time is a love of the game and a life of sport.

I have a buddy that played some pro, and he shakes his head and laughs at some parents.

Quote:
The Following User Says Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 11:27 AM   #338
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

You know why?

Yeah there is so much pressure on the young kids. I remember it as a kid too.

Playing beer leauge as a grown up though is so much fun.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CroFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 11-04-2015, 04:16 PM   #339
TimSJ
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I agree that half ice is likely better for kids of this age for their development. Some kids are ready for full and some aren't and it should be about the fun first of all.

My real beef with what is happening is that the change is being made after the season has already started and not even any consistency with NB. Our district is making this change yet I can't find anywhere else in NB that is doing it now.

The coaches told the kids what was happening after practice tonight and there were some pretty long faces. Parents, coaches everyone has been telling them up until tonight work hard games start Nov 15th today they had the rug pulled from under them. No games until After Dec 15th and they will only be half ice. That's not fair in my opinion.

If hockey canada wants half ice for novice go for it. As someone else said be a leader and implement it across the country but start now and set it up for fall 2016. Every one knows it's coming and away you go.

TimSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 PM   #340
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thought I add yet another update on my son's journey....star date 93454.55

Today was son started the day with the aa team working the gate, 15 minutes into the game it is 3-0 and I notice my son is warming up. Two minutes later it is 4-0 and my son is on his way in. He got off to a good start, but they scored the 5th goal before the period ended. He played steadily the rest of the way. His team pushed back and got three to close the gap; however, the other team scored two more and they were good goals.

At the end of the day my son played about 103 minutes over the course of almost two games and gave up 6 goals. It is a small sample, but his stats line will likely be better than their regular goalies. His time with the aa team is coming to an end for now, but, with his play, I would assume that if he is called up again, the coaches will be open to giving him more opportunities.

As an aside, he played for our community team two hours later and turned in a solid game as we won 5-1.

He had a good hockey day.....