Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2018, 06:04 AM   #101
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Depends on what you think is a big salary, I think Maher was somewhere around $225k, Wills is probably around a $100k. Millions and Kerr were long time employees, one would have to think well into 6 figures each for sure.
I don’t think $100K is large. I also don’t think they made that much, including Maher.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 09:00 AM   #102
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

My first impression would be that salaries had nothing to do with it. But we have all worked for a company that treated a dollar saved as more valuable than two dollars earned. It's weird, and stupid, but it happens all the time.

Rogers streams CBS sports, which I have no doubt is the cheapest option available, and pretty much unlistenable to me. I've given every CBS show a chance and none is strong enough to stop me from changing the channel.
Old 08-06-2018, 09:04 AM   #103
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I don’t think $100K is large. I also don’t think they made that much, including Maher.
Yeah I don't think Maher was making that much. Ron MacLean only makes $450 and he's probably the high bar in Canada for broadcasters after Jim Hughson who likely makes in the range of $600k. I suppose it's possible Maher's long career may have had him in that range but I don't think 960 has the money to be spending $100k on the day to day radio guys.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 08-06-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 09:39 AM   #104
Futzee
Farm Team Player

Exp:

I'd be shocked if 960 radio personalities are making well into 6-figures. AM radio isn't the huge business it once was. I think that is a job you hope to parlay into TV or a Jim Rome gig.
Futzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 10:27 AM   #105
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rogers numbers and earnings call last quarter showed media (includes blue jays, sportsnet) not making much.

Total rogers revenue last twelve months is $14.6b with ebitda of $5.6b. Media segment of this generated $2.2b of revs but only $0.2b of ebitda. Earnings call mentions efforts to cut costs in media to grow cash flows since blue jays are dragging down revenues. Cutting a few tv and radio personalities aren’t going to move needle much.
Old 08-06-2018, 10:33 AM   #106
nieuwy-89
First Line Centre

Exp:

Echoing many other posters, I started listening to Kerr on th Fan960 in that 2003-04 season. I thought we were so lucky as Flames fans to have a knowledgeable, thoughtful, and engaged radio personality to help us follow our team.

Over the years, Kerr has remained my favourite Flames radio broadcaster. While much of sports radio has degraded into trying to be some sort of jock-buddy comedy routine, Kerr always kept the focus on the subject matter and not himself.

It will be different not having him around to add his insight. Hopefully one of the young guys can fill those shoes.
nieuwy-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nieuwy-89 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 10:43 AM   #107
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Even if the FAN960 guys are making $100K+ this is hard-earned money - the odd time of the shifts, the extra work that they carry off-work with the events and such. This is more than an 8 hours a day, 5 days a week job.

Now I wonder how much does Warrener get paid? I think he made enough money playing hockey to live comfortably. This radio job is definitely not worth his time. Is he just doing this for fun?
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lazypucker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2018, 11:00 AM   #108
colbym72
First Line Centre

Exp:

None of the on-air guys at Fan 960 are making six figures
colbym72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 11:06 AM   #109
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
But they can still be replaced by jumped-up interns making less. To a business unit as small as an individual radio station, cutting three employees making $60,000 a year and replacing them with ones making $30,000 is a big deal. It's even bigger if you don't replace them, but merely reduce headcount and get the $30,000 employees to take over all of the work.
Old 08-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #110
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I've sat on this for a few days but here goes.

Rob Kerr to me is a gifted host on the radio. His interviews have a great pace and are always entertaining, his work in 2004 was an amazing part of the city's hockey history and for that he deserves a strong place in the Calgary hockey annals. In his last ten years or so (could be longer) his work with charities, and giving a voice to those looking for exposure for a great cause has been amazing. Watching him jump in as a host at that hockey draft in April was a demonstration of an ability to think on his feet in front of a crowd which takes a whole different kind of talent.

But the guy hated this website and with that it seemed yours truly though we had never met, which I always found dumbfounding. My gut was the established, school bred broadcaster/journalist vs the blogger issue, but I honestly don't know. Always seemed a little short sighted to me, and a missed opportunity.

So because of that I always had mixed feelings. Would never deny he was great at his job however, though his need to repeat lines twice drove me nuts! Made me think of Jacob Two Two Meets the Hooded Fang from my child hood.

All the best Rob.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 12:52 AM   #111
pgsieve
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by colbym72 View Post
Most are not even getting year long Spotify subscriptions!
Old 08-07-2018, 12:59 AM   #112
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do people really think that those guys make "well into" six figures? Daytime sports guy in the fourth or fifth biggest city in Canada?

If Kerr's salary even hit six figures I'd be shocked. If a guy like Steinberg made 75k I'd also be shocked. I think radio guy is probably one of the sneaky ####tiest jobs out there in terms of pay and in terms of what it's romanticized as compared to what it really is.

Weird hours, pimping mattress stores and car dealerships every 3 minutes, incredibly rare opportunity for growth. Ugh.

Last edited by nik-; 08-07-2018 at 01:03 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 01:32 AM   #113
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

FivePoints recently did a video about how much sports radio personalities make. By the way, if you enjoy videos about sports trivia with jokes then you should definitely check out FivePoints Vids!

Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 09:45 AM   #114
The Boy Wonder
First Line Centre

Exp:

Wish Rob the best, he may not have been frequently right in his takes, but at least he was passionate about them...

In terms of the radio host earnings, I would be very surprised if they earned anywhere over $65,000

I know for a fact that they have to spend time after shows doing spots for rural or smaller market shows and stations and that their on air hours are minimal. That said they do get a lot of perks from advertisers, Im positive that every on air personality gets a free car lease from whatever dealership sponsors their show, Loubo with GMC, Steinberg with VW, Pinder with Audi, etc.

So while this doesn't factor into their take-home compensation you have to count a free car as basically $8000 a year +/- so that is actually a pretty solid perk.

Some of them are contractors which would really suck, I remember Loubo when he was going through medical issues a year or two back wasn't receiving much support from teh rogers benefits or just didnt have them out of season or something, and Steinberg started a fund to raise some money for him.

Not a glamorous job unless you are a jim rome or a Scotty farrell
The Boy Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 10:20 AM   #115
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Yes but the hot female groupies has to be a benefit right?

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:15 AM   #116
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

One of my favourite Kerr things was the short lived fight calling.

Maher : and we got a scrap, over to Rob Kerr

Kerr: “a left and a left and another left!”
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 12:24 PM   #117
YYC in LAX
First Line Centre

Exp:

Rob Kerr. Radio bad boy with "Pump out the Truth." Big void to fill.

YYC in LAX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YYC in LAX For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 01:01 PM   #118
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boy Wonder View Post

Not a glamorous job unless you are a jim rome or a Scotty farrell
Scott Farrell had to work his way up from nothing as he was doing his show on Howard 101 for 6 years and which was not lucrative. It's not a very lucrative career unless you are popular in a very large market like Bob McCown in Toronto or have a national show. It's why I refrain from being overly critical of these guys as I don't think I could do that job for the money they make so I'm glad someone else is to provide me something to listen to at work daily.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 01:06 PM   #119
Hockey Fan #751
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

As an aside, Scott Ferrall also used to do radio play-by-play for the Atlanta Thrashers. He was pretty awful.
Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hockey Fan #751 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #120
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

The fan continues to be quality as they continue to run spots for Eric Francis Friday’s with rob Kerr......

Meanwhile stein berg was blathering on about how we will hear from Kerr in the future but it was not his place to disclose what Kerr was going to be doing. I felt like he was saying I know a secret that you don’t.