Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-08-2017, 12:09 PM   #101
8sPOT
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymebalm View Post
Hiding sports writing behind a paywall is obnoxious. Kent Wilson was worth the banner ads on FN, but certainly no sports writing team is worthy of 100/annum from me.

The best information and dialogue about the Flames has always come directly from this forum - real fans, who watch the games with their eyeballs, and are passionate about the franchise.

If the Players Tribune doesn't charge then spreadsheet bloggers should hold their horses.
Maybe I'm wrong... but I've never EVER read content on any sports site that I thought was worthy of direct payment from me. They don't even break news on those site, just filter it in from Twitter and other sites.
The current deals are much less than $100/year. I got in for $36.
8sPOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #102
Clever_Iggy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I am definitely the target market.

I read a ton of Flames content online every day. And I have money to give. I've just never seen a site worthy of direct contribution from the readers. Maybe I need to have more belief in the the subscription model. If I pay for something, I want it to be able to access something new, informative, different.

What about their model is particularly different than all the free media out there right now?
You don't have to read Eric Francis.

I find the mainstream Calgary media to be the same recycled stuff. The Herald and the Sun has the same content. Everything seems so formulaic without a lot of insight. I've enjoyed the Players Tribune because it's different. I'm giving The Athletic a chance because (a) it gives me access to other cities and sports I like to follow, (b) the work (hopefully) will be better quality and (c) the app procures all the articles for me.

It's only ~$4 a month with the discount. I'm going to give it a fair shot and can cancel.
Clever_Iggy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Clever_Iggy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 12:10 PM   #103
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
...it's a very deep dive on Brouwer, revealing what we all more or less knew (Brouwer is bad and that it's far more likely he stays bad, or gets worse than actually turns a corner and becomes good). That Brouwer contract sure is a turd.
You mean Kent is repeating ad nauseam that he doesn't like Brouwer because of his favourite advanced metrics?

I've read that article from Kent 5 different times already since Brouwer contract.

This is what I'm talking about, I really don't believe there is new, important, interesting or relevant information that will come from the Athletic that doesn't already come from the blogging community he swam in for all those years.

https://flamesnation.ca/2016/12/29/w...-troy-brouwer/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/08/30/w...-troy-brouwer/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/07/09/w...und-next-year/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/05/24/f...-troy-brouwer/
Old 09-08-2017, 12:11 PM   #104
s_procee
Backup Goalie

Exp:

They were talking about it on the Fan, apparently it will either lose steam or be bought
s_procee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:16 PM   #105
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Three articles in three month about Troy Brouwer, all by the same writer. That comes across as pretty strange.

Kent is a good writer he's anything but level headed however. Dismissing anyone that disagrees with you outright always comes across as a little childish. He doesn't particularly like to be challenged.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:21 PM   #106
Red Slinger
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't understand why Darren Haynes doesn't get more attention for stuff like this. He's one of the best Flames bloggers around IMO.
Red Slinger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Red Slinger For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 12:28 PM   #107
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFK View Post
Dismissing anyone that disagrees with you outright always comes across as a little childish. He doesn't particularly like to be challenged.
I really don't think he does this. I'm not sure what people are referring to here.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:37 PM   #108
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
I really don't think he does this. I'm not sure what people are referring to here.
Me neither.

Put forward a rational fact based argument and he'll readily accept it. Unless folk are saying that because he doesn't buy into "Gritty McGritterton is great player because... grit!" type of arguments. I think some folk don't like him because he doesn't put on the homer blinders when he writes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Slinger View Post
I don't understand why Darren Haynes doesn't get more attention for stuff like this. He's one of the best Flames bloggers around IMO.
Meh, I've never read anything out of Haynes that I couldn't get out of the Sun or Herald. That's not to say he's bad, he's a very decent wordsmith, just that there isn't anything extraordinary about his content.

Last edited by Parallex; 09-08-2017 at 12:44 PM.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Parallex For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 12:40 PM   #109
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duha and Kent were enough to get me to subscribe.

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:42 PM   #110
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames vs Oilers media in a nutshell in the first articles by veritical:
Flames - calling Brouwer a lost cause
Oilers - comparing their first round pick to Tyler Johnson and Johnny Gaudreau
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeteMoss For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 12:43 PM   #111
Boreal
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewtastic View Post
The guys on FAN 960 just spoke about The Athletic with Stephen Brunt.

Brunt seemed unsure of the longevity of such ventures. While wishing them success, his argument seemed to be that he was uncertain that consumers would be willing to shell out cash for an online "writer's platform" over the long term. The guys all discussed the decline of newspaper sports pages as being one reason for the emergence of sites like The Athletic, but seemed to imply that there's no certainty in online journalism either.

I'm one of those luddites who still gets the Herald every morning...it's a habit I can't break. I start with the sports each day. I miss George Johnson a lot, but enjoy Kristen Odland and the beat writers for the Stamps. On Wednesdays, there's a CFL round-up that's quite good too. During the NHL season, there's usually a decent weekend sports package covering a bunch of cities' stories of interest. In the past year, the Herald eliminated then reinstated boxscores from the major N.A. leagues due to reader complaints (there still do exist many of us who like to see the baseball and hockey game scoring summaries in black and white print!)

Nevertheless, today's newspaper coverage definitely pales in comparison to even fifteen years ago, columnist and content-wise.

From that perspective, if The Athletic's focus is in part to revive some of that tradition, I wish them nothing but the best. It may finally be my incentive to switch to an online platform for reading sports news.
Fair enough, but if you listen to Morgan Campbell on the podcast I posted he mentions that media companies have essentially been giving away free tickets to content while expecting others to pay. It's like free tickets to Flames games if you print a ticket at home. The old paradigm doesn't have a future.
Boreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:47 PM   #112
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_procee View Post
They were talking about it on the Fan, apparently it will either lose steam or be bought
Old newspaper media guys talking about what will work business wise in the future is like asking a miner to forecast the weather.

Those guys should be praying this works. The only safe sports writing jobs are guys who can transition to radio or TV. At some point the radio jobs will go away as listenership drops and Rogers/Bell realize cut costs.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #113
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
You mean Kent is repeating ad nauseam that he doesn't like Brouwer because of his favourite advanced metrics?

I've read that article from Kent 5 different times already since Brouwer contract.

This is what I'm talking about, I really don't believe there is new, important, interesting or relevant information that will come from the Athletic that doesn't already come from the blogging community he swam in for all those years.

https://flamesnation.ca/2016/12/29/w...-troy-brouwer/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/08/30/w...-troy-brouwer/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/07/09/w...und-next-year/

https://flamesnation.ca/2017/05/24/f...-troy-brouwer/
If your standards for sports journalism is to see new and unique articles all the time then you must be profoundly disappointed already.

I mean just look at the articles in this thread posted today:

https://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=163665

It's essentially 4 of the exact same article: "Player X ready to prove something."

Not saying that's bad necessarily but to hold one writer accountable for revisiting the same topic and ignore this practice is a fundamental part of sports journalism seems a bit self-serving.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 12:55 PM   #114
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I like Kent, and sort of figured a while ago that he'd be a likely candidate, but honestly, there needs to also be a local writer who doesn't live and die by spreadsheets if they want any sort of mainstream appeal.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-08-2017, 12:57 PM   #115
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_procee View Post
"I can't imagine the automobile ever being more than a fad appealing to a small number of enthusiasts," said Robert Kerr, spokesman for Roger's Finest Horse Carriages.
Old 09-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #116
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would wager the Athletic will be lasting longer than Rob Kerr's Flames PBP career
Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:06 PM   #117
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Sounds like there's some big money behind this. As Legacy Media dwindles to mediocrity and eventually disappears, we'll see more specialty subscriber sites.

I'd also like to see them utilize local photographers. Quality sports photography enhances the story.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 01:28 PM   #118
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
I like Kent, and sort of figured a while ago that he'd be a likely candidate, but honestly, there needs to also be a local writer who doesn't live and die by spreadsheets if they want any sort of mainstream appeal.
I thought I saw him write that he would be doing analysis but that Duha would be teaming up providing access and more colour in between the lines. If so that's a good mix, strong analytical arguments with great takes from Duha.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:12 PM   #119
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I don't see Duhatschek as a local guy, but more of a national guy with LeBrun. Would love to be wrong there though. Duhatschek focusing on the Flames would be worth the price of admission.

What I would look for is Kent to give the local look from the analytical view, and someone who can do it from a better 'storytelling' perspective. Also, I'm hoping to see them pay more than just lip service to the Stamps, Hitmen, Roughnecks and I don't see Kent doing that either.

He's a good start, but more is needed to flesh things out.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 03:33 PM   #120
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Also, I'm hoping to see them pay more than just lip service to the Stamps, Hitmen, Roughnecks and I don't see Kent doing that either.
No one outside of Toronto is going to do that, not for a good long while... when Mirtle introduced the Canadian expansion he gave the caveat that it was going to vastly be around hockey (at least initially).

I don't think Kent would really want to do Football/Lacrosse coverage either but I imagine that when/if AthleticCGY gets more subscribers they'll add writers to cover the Stamps (I wouldn't hold my breath for Lacrosse).
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote