Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #6601
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

They had a black one but it was sold. I think the owner said I got the last one. The sale has been going on for a week and is done this weekend. It might not hurt to give them a call to see if they have any in storage.
The Following User Says Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #6602
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Are you sure? Although a complete bike has a tariff rate of 13%, these are just bike parts. Assembled bike wheels are 6.5% and frames and forks are 5%. I'm not having any of these. Brakes and cranks are specifically listed as 0% duty. Anything not listed in section 8714.XX.XX goes into 8714.99.90 which is other bike parts at 0%. This would be the chain, cassette, shifters, and derailleurs. I'd still pay 7% PST (BC based), but I really can't see how tariffs would be added.
Yeah bike parts are 0% duty.
You will get charged 5% GST and then a fee by the courier company for processing the customs paperwork. If its shipped by post, CanadaPost will charge a flat rate of $10 CAD per package.
If the package is labelled correctly as bike parts by the shipper, then you should have no problem with having duty charged and needing to appeal for a refund. Ive ordered stuff internationally probably hundreds of times over the years and the only problems Ive had is when the shipper has incorrectly labelled the package and its never happened with bike parts.
If youre getting dinged, you might be getting it shipped by UPS or FedEx on one of their low shipping tiers where they charge a processing fee as a % of the total value of the package. The fee is labeled in such a way that if you dont look close, you might thinks its duty charged by the government. If you have no choice but to ship with UPS or FedEx, then either pick a shipping option with a higher cost but flat rate for processing or Google "self-clearing" and take care of it yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to taco.vidal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2018, 07:41 AM   #6603
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

It is greasy out there this morning, be careful!
Old 03-19-2018, 07:58 AM   #6604
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't too terrible. Got the very rare friendly "I'm passing you" honk from a bus today. Hope the sun is nice and bright and we get some melt today.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:14 AM   #6605
Bigtime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Bow paths were good, but Nose Creek got walked all over and was a hard-packed bumpy mess this morning. Hope it does soften up later.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:19 AM   #6606
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not even plowed way up north. Not looking forward to that on the ride home.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:56 AM   #6607
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northendzone View Post
I have ordered three times from chain reaction, and all three times I have been hit with duties or other charges that wrecked the “deal”,and made it a break even or slightly more than I could have bought the stuff for here in Canada at MEC.
My purchase from Merlin arrived just now. I ordered it Thursday at 4:30 pm PDT, so I'm very impressed by the quick shipping. As I hoped/thought, there were no additional charges for duty or other tariffs. I was charged GST, which was expected, and I'd have to pay that if I bought locally or from Jenson. However, I was charged 7% PST. This was disappointing, as bikes and bike parts are PST exempt in BC.

The import document has the items correctly listed as bicycle parts, but CBSA still charged me PST. As I wanted the parts today I paid the PST, and will request a refund. UPS said they could apply for the refund directly for me, but would charge me $15. I'll just do it myself, but it's annoying with how long it takes. It's worth it to get back the $119.10 I was charged for PST.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-19-2018, 12:48 PM   #6608
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ nice
Old 03-19-2018, 01:54 PM   #6609
RM14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Looking to buy a couple new Cross-country type mountain bikes (Fairly entry level). Can anyone recommend the best places in Calgary to go for service, fitting, and variety? I was looking at Bow-Cycle for convenience.
Old 03-19-2018, 02:37 PM   #6610
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could do a lot worse than Bow. The only issue there is that they're crazy busy.
Old 03-19-2018, 03:48 PM   #6611
worth
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you going to be using it on trails and such? Any bike shop will have plenty of entry level MTB options for you to browse and try. Yeah, Bow Cycle is always busy, but they have tons of inventory and tons of bikes to try.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:01 AM   #6612
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

to me bow cycle would be a hard place to establish a relationship with because they are so busy and large, and I am not saying they would be bad to deal with. but that said, I sure do enjoy going there and looking at the wide array of bikes.

personally, I'd look for a nearby shop that is a little smaller, but that is me.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:16 AM   #6613
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not as hard as you would think. I've been going there a long time, I know half a dozen or so guys there. Friendly as hell.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:58 AM   #6614
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Same as what Habernac said, great guys. I've become friends with a bunch of them. Two months ago, one of the sales guys lent me his rollers because I was curious about rollers. I've stayed after closing for beers on more than a few occasions. My wife won't go with me anymore because my quick stop is usually a good hour of me hanging out chatting. I stopped in yesterday and one of the owners and I chatted about family vacations, wanting winter to end, and Branch Out that's coming up. We usually all go and hang out together in Panorama. It's a good time.

Back to bikes, Bow has a ton this time of year. If they don't have your size on the floor, they likely have it in the basement, which is jam packed with bikes and gear, or in their warehouse, which is down the road. It's a good place to start your search.
Old 03-20-2018, 09:02 AM   #6615
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

This weekend is Bike Store Day! Visit your local shop. Most seem to be having big sales.

Calgary Cycle is doing a grand opening sale for their new Bow Trail location. Door crashers are announced tomorrow and lots of sales already on their site.

Might be a good weekend for getting a deal if you're looking for a bike.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 03:31 PM   #6616
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Calgary Cycle has posted their deals: http://www.calgarycycle.com/deals

The doorcrasher sales are pretty crazy if you're looking for a higher end bike.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KTrain For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2018, 03:48 PM   #6617
squiggs96
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
Calgary Cycle has posted their deals: http://www.calgarycycle.com/deals

The doorcrasher sales are pretty crazy if you're looking for a higher end bike.
That's a ridiculously good deal on the Speed Concept 9.9 bike that's in my size. In the words of Roger Millions, Hmmmmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Jesus this site these days
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnet Flame View Post
He just seemed like a very nice person. I loved Squiggy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
I should probably stop posting at this point
Old 03-21-2018, 03:57 PM   #6618
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
That's a ridiculously good deal on the Speed Concept 9.9 bike that's in my size. In the words of Roger Millions, Hmmmmmmm.
My friend is looking at that one too. I doubt he'll pull the trigger.

I want one of those Emondas. It's still a $7000 bike and it would take more intelligence and salesmanship than I have to sell that to my wife.

Last edited by KTrain; 03-21-2018 at 04:11 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:39 PM   #6619
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ wife price on that rig is $3200’ish
Old 03-21-2018, 05:08 PM   #6620
Ironhorse
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of the joys of riding a 60cm frame is that I’m pretty much guaranteed to never win at sales like that... I do like my Emonda though, so I’m good.
Closed Thread