Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2019, 11:03 AM   #241
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I have seen this mentioned a lot over the past several months. Is this just on the basis that Hamonic came from Manitoba, or is there actually something substantial to the assertion?
When he requested the trade to Western Canada from the Islanders initially Winnipeg was the top destination.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:05 AM   #242
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Team makes shockingly early playoff exit after strong season, with holes exposed against a similarly inexperienced younger team.

Treliving: Aside from a nixed trade, absolutely no reaction whatsoever, stays the course.

Let them grow through it, sure. But the team needs some tweaking too.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #243
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd honestly go after Connor from WPG. I'm sure their prized RFA is Laine and they'll be a bit hamstrung with Connor. We could use a guy like that and I'd pay a hefty plus on top of one of the D men to get him. After Ehlers and Connor, not much interest in the Jets.

I would think that Connor is their prized RFA over Laine - draft ranking be damned. Connor always made things happen for them. I think aside from Scheifele, Connor might be viewed as their most important long-term piece. It may be easier to pry Laine away. I mean, Connor did out-produce Laine (including goal scoring), and consistently made things happen on his line all season. Kid is a stud through and through.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #244
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage79 View Post
I'd honestly go after Connor from WPG. I'm sure their prized RFA is Laine and they'll be a bit hamstrung with Connor. We could use a guy like that and I'd pay a hefty plus on top of one of the D men to get him. After Ehlers and Connor, not much interest in the Jets.
I've heard that the Jets are shopping Laine, as they also consider Connor the guy they want to keep.

The cost to get Connor would be exceedingly high in premium prospects and draft capital., some thing the Flames are very short of.

Think Valimaki and a couple first round picks to get the conversation started.

I doubt the Jets would be interested in any cap dumps.

And if the Jets were trading Connor, they would be in the driver's seat as the demands would be great.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #245
mrdonkey
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Off Season Trade rumours thread - Brodie, Frolik, Stone etc. Only

Going back to the Neal signing last year, it sure would be nice to talk about something other than UFA signings that bombed, trades that fell through, and complete radio silence.

Very frustrating as a fan to see other teams making changes around you while you sit and stew about another bungled playoff performance while your team gets worse.

Last edited by mrdonkey; 07-10-2019 at 11:13 AM.
mrdonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #246
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Team makes shockingly early playoff exit after strong season, with holes exposed against a similarly inexperienced younger team.

Treliving: Aside from a nixed trade, absolutely no reaction whatsoever, stays the course.

Need to sort out the 3 key RFA’s first. The team will be different but it might be the rare August trade that happens. Personally I think Frolik or one of the D move before the end of the month when all the arb cases happen.
Old 07-10-2019, 11:18 AM   #247
sa226
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I wouldn't be surprised if the fit Treliving wants with a Brodie\Frolik trade is very specific thus creating issues.

He probably wants to trade Frolik as a cap dump for picks, but with his salary and the league wide cap crunch, thats becoming increasingly difficult. Frolik is a valuable player, but they need to make room for RFA's as well with an eye towards Mangiapane, Dube etc getting increased responsibility.

With Brodie, as we saw with the nixed Kadri deal. I think Treliving wants to make a hockey deal. Not a cap dump. Andersson and Valimaki are definitely ready and there is room for them. But what about Kylington and Stone? If Brodie is moved then one of those guys is getting fulltime duty. Which is fine if you're upgrading the forward ranks, but just for the sake of it? They may as well keep Brodie. For a team that is trending up, dumping Brodie for picks isn't the best asset management. The team could use an upgrade in the top 9, moving Brodie is the perfect way to do that.

Those are some pretty specific circumstances in a league that has some pretty fluid cap and player situations.

Realistically, the Kadri trade would have been the perfect move. I don't know what else is out there, but it I wouldn't be surprised if Frolik is essentially given away to anyone who will take him, and Brodie is with the team in October.
sa226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:22 AM   #248
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I think the goal is to trade TJ, but I don't think it's because the brainthrust sees him as a negative on the roster. There's a lot to be said for TJs impact on Gio's game, yes, but I don't agree on how you've evaluated his goofs. He definitely went for an impressive play and came up short a few times but I don't think those are what people remember. Brodie routinely goofed on some pretty pedestrian plays and seemed to be thinking a step behind at times.

But you're ignoring the entire cap situation, which is the reason that Brodie's name comes up frequently. Andersson played great with Gio, and brings a little more stability to that line I think (especially this early in Andersson's career). I think the future of TJ as a Flame in the cap-era is coming to a close, so if you can get assets for TJ that makes the trade all the more worthwhile.

His salary, the need to recapture about that amout of salary, the Flames depth on D and a few options in his place that are the future of the Flames blue-line are all reasons TJ could be moved. His errors just make it difficult to argue that he's irreplaceable on the blueline. For as many TJ plays we can appreciate, he offers up a lot of costly mistakes that showed up on the scoreboard.

I think if the Wizard found a way to keep TJ a lot here would be on-board. But you could have read the thread to have known that was the general idea behind trading TJ.
I think that the depth that the Flames have on defense is significantly unproven and over-rated.

Removing the clear cut best RD from the mix, with whom the best player (who has his 36th Birthday in October) has played his best is a huge risk.

Hamonic is currently the only Flame D that is at all interested in playing a physical game.

As far as keeping Brodie this year.... Neal 3.88 and Stone 2.33 give 6M as buyouts this year ... more than Brodie's 4.6 in cap savings
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:26 AM   #249
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Buyouts for Stone and Neal make exactly zero sense from any standpoint. I cannot for the life of me see any justification for doing them.

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:30 AM   #250
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Buyouts for Stone and Neal make exactly zero sense from any standpoint. I cannot for the life of me see any justification for doing them.
You cannot win a logical argument against someone who refuses to engage with logic.

Above, it was mentioned that the Jets may wish to protect Connor-Ehlers over Laine. If that is the case (i think it's a foolish idea personally) then we should be all over a potential Laine trade. It solves our problem by allowing us to use lindy as a full time 2c.

Hamonic+ Jankowski+ 1sts for Laine?
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 11:31 AM   #251
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
Stone saves the team 2.3M in cap space and unless they dump Frolik soon much of the cap space will be eaten up by Rittich, Bennett by the end of the month. Leaving $4-5M to sign Tkachuk. Buying out Stone could leave them with 6-7M for Tkachuk after the other guys sign and before Frolik or. Brodie/Hamonic have been moved.

Can’t buyout Neal with 4 years left just can’t do it
Old 07-10-2019, 11:34 AM   #252
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post
You cannot win a logical argument against someone who refuses to engage with logic.

Above, it was mentioned that the Jets may wish to protect Connor-Ehlers over Laine. If that is the case (i think it's a foolish idea personally) then we should be all over a potential Laine trade. It solves our problem by allowing us to use lindy as a full time 2c.

I don’t think that offer is in the realm of realism for Laine. The Jets could get younger players and high end prospects for Laine if they moved him.
The Following User Says Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2019, 12:02 PM   #253
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
Stone saves the team 2.3M in cap space and unless they dump Frolik soon much of the cap space will be eaten up by Rittich, Bennett by the end of the month. Leaving $4-5M to sign Tkachuk. Buying out Stone could leave them with 6-7M for Tkachuk after the other guys sign and before Frolik or. Brodie/Hamonic have been moved.

Can’t buyout Neal with 4 years left just can’t do it
Buying out Neal makes 3.88 cap room for 4 years and leave the Flames with a cap hit of 2 M for 4 years after that

Neal with The Flames retaining 50% would give them a cap hit of 2.9 and no one would want Neal at 2.9.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:04 PM   #254
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardodw View Post
Buying out Neal makes 3.88 cap room for 4 years and leave the Flames with a cap hit of 2 M for 4 years after that

Neal with The Flames retaining 50% would give them a cap hit of 2.9 and no one would want Neal at 2.9.
Haha oh man just stop.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #255
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post

Not really fair. Treliving clearly had a play to improve the roster but it got nixed by a player's NTC.

The lack of plan B so far is troubling, but given how dynamic the market is, with teams needs being updated on the fly in real time, not entirely his fault either.

Unfortunately, trying is one thing, but if he's left himself in a spot where the market for Brodie, Frolik no longer exists, and there are no real targets to bring in players to improve the team, then the roster is basically the same as last year (minus smith, Hathaway). I am not overly excited about that either, as I expect regression from guys that had career years, but at the same time, what kind of growth can we expect from Tkachuk, dube, Jankowski, valimaki, Andersson, and how much better is the goalie situation with Talbot vs smith.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:22 PM   #256
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monahammer View Post

Gaudreau-Monahan-Laine is pretty one dimensional and going strength v. strength would then be hard for the Flames. They were hard-pressed with Lindholm on their line and he's very good defensively.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:27 PM   #257
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
I don’t think that offer is in the realm of realism for Laine. The Jets could get younger players and high end prospects for Laine if they moved him.
Fair- I think the "offer" has to max out at a ~4 1sts type of level.

Perhaps:

Hamonic+ (Kylington, Dube, Pelletier) + 2 1sts?

Solid dman on great contract, top end prospect, and two unprotected 1sts?
Old 07-10-2019, 12:28 PM   #258
genetic_phreek
First Line Centre

Exp:
icon57

Tkachuk to change his jersey to #7 when Brodie gets traded.
genetic_phreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2019, 12:29 PM   #259
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Gaudreau-Monahan-Laine is pretty one dimensional and going strength v. strength would then be hard for the Flames. They were hard-pressed with Lindholm on their line and he's very good defensively.
I think that Gaudreau-Monahan-Laine would hopefully be controlling the puck too often for it to matter too much. I disagree that strength vs strength would harm that line- covering Laine more would give Monahan much more room and vice versa.
Old 07-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #260
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Not really fair. Treliving clearly had a play to improve the roster but it got nixed by a player's NTC.

The lack of plan B so far is troubling, but given how dynamic the market is, with teams needs being updated on the fly in real time, not entirely his fault either.

Unfortunately, trying is one thing, but if he's left himself in a spot where the market for Brodie, Frolik no longer exists, and there are no real targets to bring in players to improve the team, then the roster is basically the same as last year (minus smith, Hathaway). I am not overly excited about that either, as I expect regression from guys that had career years, but at the same time, what kind of growth can we expect from Tkachuk, dube, Jankowski, valimaki, Andersson, and how much better is the goalie situation with Talbot vs smith.
Lack of plan B is definitely troubling, but I think plan A (Kadri trade) was the right call all along, it's just a real shame it didn't work out. I am encouraged though that he seems to have identified the 2C position as that which needs the upgrade the most (as many of us have been saying since before last season began!)

Tyler Johnson is someone I am interested in still, but another NTC to complicate matters.
Turris I think is plan C, if we can get Nashville to take James Neal...

Otherwise I think the solution will be something none of us have even considered thoroughly (a la Lindy-Hanifin)