Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2019, 02:08 PM   #521
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
if the avs were on his no trade list. The flames were on is no trade list, and it is my understanding Treliving was given a chance to try to convince kadri to waive, which he did not.
But we know that Colorado was not on his no-trade list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:24 PM   #522
midniteowl
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Just read that article. He honestly thought if he nixed the trade they wouldn’t have sent him somewhere else not on his no-trade list? BS. There’s more to it.

Or if that's true, he is dumber than I expect.
midniteowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:13 PM   #523
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

He’s a rat and full of #### and a liar.
Didn’t want him and his poor attitude and overhyped intangibles here, and the Flames dodged a bullet.

This wasn’t him shutting down the trade to the Flames with 10 minutes to go before the trade deadline to force the Leafs to keep him. The Leafs didn’t want him, that was clear so they found the next place that had interest in him. Him blocking a trade isn’t going to change Dubas’ mind all of a sudden.

This is a phony story made up to play the victim card, like he does every single time his terrible attitude or snap show temper gets him in some controversy on the ice or off. And, he wants to sound like some Leaf hero.
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:53 PM   #524
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

While I do think he'd be a good fit here, as he's undeniably a good player, the excuse is pretty pathetic. He's a liar and he'd be better off saying he did it for tax purposes. Maybe some 12 year old would believe his story.
bluejays is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bluejays For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2019, 07:58 PM   #525
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who cares. He didn't come here and now Trelving has to look elsewhere. Like I said before, now we know what his idea is with Brodie. Upgrade a C spot and dump with a D man, dump Frolik for picks.

Also frees up #7 for Matthew when he signs his deal. #UselessthingsIthinkabout
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #526
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleury View Post
While I do think he'd be a good fit here, as he's undeniably a good player, the excuse is pretty pathetic. He's a liar and he'd be better off saying he did it for tax purposes. Maybe some 12 year old would believe his story.
He didn't want to play in Calgary and lets be honest Calgary is probably on the NT list of a lot of players in the league. The difference being that they never have to answer to the media why. When the news comes out and the media asks why he didn't want to play in Calgary you can't really expect him to tell the truth that he flat out doesn't want to live and play in the city so he tries to take the high road and complements the Flames organization while stating that he hoped that he could stay with the Leafs. I'm not a fan of Canadian born players turning their noses up to playing in Canadian cities but it is what it is.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 05:57 AM   #527
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Isn't Kadri basically saying that Dubas didn't do him the courtesy of telling him he was getting traded anyways, and then let him decide whether he'd rather go to Calgary? If Kadri were lying, wouldn't Dubas want to correct the record? I think he's telling the truth.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 06:35 AM   #528
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Isn't Kadri basically saying that Dubas didn't do him the courtesy of telling him he was getting traded anyways, and then let him decide whether he'd rather go to Calgary? If Kadri were lying, wouldn't Dubas want to correct the record? I think he's telling the truth.
You're assuming Dubas cares enough to respond.

I wouldn't be doing Kadri any favours if i were him, after Kadri blocked what Dubas felt was the best opportunity to help his team get out of cap trouble, while remaining competitive.
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 08:00 AM   #529
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
I don't think a GM would ever say to a player or agent; "we are trading your player hell or high water" because if the next deal falls through and you can't find another trade fit it makes for an uncomfortable situation going forward. I assume he nixed the trade to the Flames and the Leafs simply moved on to execute plan B. Dubas really doesn't owe Kadri any courtesies here just as Kadri didn't have to accept a trade to Calgary so the Leafs get their preferred deal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #530
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Just read that article. He honestly thought if he nixed the trade they wouldn’t have sent him somewhere else not on his no-trade list? BS. There’s more to it.
I suspect a part of making one's list is leaving out teams that you think won't want you. So perhaps he looked at Colorado and thought they were a lesser likelihood of a trade, for whatever reason.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 AM   #531
BigBrodieFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by browna View Post
He’s a rat and full of #### and a liar.
Didn’t want him and his poor attitude and overhyped intangibles here, and the Flames dodged a bullet.

This wasn’t him shutting down the trade to the Flames with 10 minutes to go before the trade deadline to force the Leafs to keep him. The Leafs didn’t want him, that was clear so they found the next place that had interest in him. Him blocking a trade isn’t going to change Dubas’ mind all of a sudden.

This is a phony story made up to play the victim card, like he does every single time his terrible attitude or snap show temper gets him in some controversy on the ice or off. And, he wants to sound like some Leaf hero.
Exactly. I have been continuously baffled why any Calgary fan would want him. As a Leaf's fan, I couldn't wait to be rid of him. He's the worst whiner/liar in the NHL. 'I don't remember making the cut throat sign to Gio..twice' is the tip of the iceberg with this loser. Flames dodged a bullet, regardless of his past numbers and 'potential.'
BigBrodieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #532
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBrodieFan View Post
Exactly. I have been continuously baffled why any Calgary fan would want him. As a Leaf's fan, I couldn't wait to be rid of him. He's the worst whiner/liar in the NHL. 'I don't remember making the cut throat sign to Gio..twice' is the tip of the iceberg with this loser. Flames dodged a bullet, regardless of his past numbers and 'potential.'
I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of the whole Gio-Kadri thing. Emotions run high and people do/say things that they regret. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

People would be saying the same stuff about Tkachuk if he didn't play for the Flames.

I only care about winning and the Flames getting a Stanley Cup. I can't see how bringing in a top 6 two way center capable of 30 goals and 60 points while playing with an edge on a cheap contract could have hurt their odds.

Just taking some of the scoring pressure off of the top line and allowing Backlund to be used in a more specialized role would have made the Flames that much harder to game plan against. It opens up a whole new realm of flexibility for the coaching staff.

I really like Backlund and Monahan, but they need more support down the middle and Kadri was the best option available IMO. Easy to see why Treliving targeted him.
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 10:46 AM   #533
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I suspect a part of making one's list is leaving out teams that you think won't want you. So perhaps he looked at Colorado and thought they were a lesser likelihood of a trade, for whatever reason.
Even then, if you’ve been asked to waive your no-trade for Calgary, he’d have to think perhaps there’s other teams Dubas has been negotiating with as well and his likelihood of being traded somewhere else (1 of 20) was high. It’s just too obvious.

Either he put too much stock into his odds of remaining a Leaf or he knew Colorado was the next deal up and was able to force it there.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #534
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of the whole Gio-Kadri thing. Emotions run high and people do/say things that they regret. Water under the bridge as far as I'm concerned.

People would be saying the same stuff about Tkachuk if he didn't play for the Flames.

I only care about winning and the Flames getting a Stanley Cup. I can't see how bringing in a top 6 two way center capable of 30 goals and 60 points while playing with an edge on a cheap contract could have hurt their odds.

Just taking some of the scoring pressure off of the top line and allowing Backlund to be used in a more specialized role would have made the Flames that much harder to game plan against. It opens up a whole new realm of flexibility for the coaching staff.

I really like Backlund and Monahan, but they need more support down the middle and Kadri was the best option available IMO. Easy to see why Treliving targeted him.
Players really don't like throat slashes. It's an odd line, perhaps, but it's a line nonetheless.

I would have been fine trading Brodie for Kadri. I am also fine with it not having gone through. I don't begrudge Kadri for exercising rights he negotiated for.

This was the 1st place team in the conference. They're not that far off.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:52 AM   #535
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

According to Duhatschek, Kadri and Gio (and Monahan) train together. I guess the "bad blood" doesn't actually exist between them.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 10:58 AM   #536
Robbob
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, I think the bad blood is completely overstated. It isn't like in the old days where there was a legitimate hate between players. Now days everyone is buddy buddy with a very few exceptions.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:18 PM   #537
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
According to Duhatschek, Kadri and Gio (and Monahan) train together. I guess the "bad blood" doesn't actually exist between them.
I guess it's the city he doesn't like then. If you know a team is keen on moving you, the opportunity to play with guys you are familiar and train with sounds ideal.
Old 07-12-2019, 12:25 PM   #538
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

NHL Network radio this morning suggested one of the main reasons Kadri turned it down was that he wouldn't be guaranteed the 2LC behind Monahan. Can't recall if this was Greg Gilbert (pauses for PTSD) or Scott Laughlin who made this comment.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 12:27 PM   #539
SportsJunky
Uncle Chester

Exp:

I think it was Laughlin. I heard him say the same thing a couple of days ago.
SportsJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SportsJunky For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2019, 12:36 PM   #540
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post

I really wish he had waived for us.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote