Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-06-2016, 12:55 PM   #101
keratosis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Just tried it on my phone, works nicely but will probably use it more on my tablet to watch the news in bed.
edit: Works really well on my old Galaxy Tab 2 10.1 running 4.2.2 Now if more channels were available...

Last edited by keratosis; 01-06-2016 at 06:27 PM.
keratosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:15 AM   #102
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

I tried Free Range for the Flames game last night and found that the streaming quality was much better than SportsNet Now streaming. I like Free Range thus far.

I haven't tried the downloading shows part of the app but that could be really useful for my kids on road trips although thus far we haven't given them tablets or movies during drives and they somehow manage to survive.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:48 AM   #103
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Not sure how old your kids are but the treehouse go app allows downloading of shows.
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 11:45 AM   #104
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Free Range is pretty darn good, colour me impressed.
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 08:20 PM   #105
stampsx2
First Line Centre

Exp:

Dissapointed free range doesn't work outside the country. Would have been nice to watch the flames game in Mexico.
stampsx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:11 PM   #106
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampsx2 View Post
Dissapointed free range doesn't work outside the country. Would have been nice to watch the flames game in Mexico.
If you sign up for Unblock Us you can spoof a Canadian IP as well (any country actually). Not just USA.
The Following User Says Thank You to OldDutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2016, 10:22 PM   #107
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
If you sign up for Unblock Us you can spoof a Canadian IP as well (any country actually). Not just USA.
If you have a modern router (most ASUS will have this), you can also just set up a VPN to your house and watch it from your home connection. It's pretty simple and you can also log into your computer at home. Best part of this is it costs you nothing in subscription fees.
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:27 PM   #108
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Used free-range for about 45 minutes and it chewed through 2.2GB of data watching TSN. Yikes! Glad I checked.

Slick app, worked well for me
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:39 PM   #109
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Very pleasantly surprised by how well it works. Was thinking it was another crappy app but it actually works very smoothly. Better than using other apps like CTV to stream.

Shaw did something right with this.
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 12:51 PM   #110
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wish this wasn't restricted to mobile apps. Would be nice to do this on the desktop, too.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 01:15 PM   #111
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Wish this wasn't restricted to mobile apps. Would be nice to do this on the desktop, too.
You might be able to do this via bluestacks. This runs android apps on windows
http://www.bluestacks.com/about-us.html
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pymyapps&hl=en

Download bluestacks, rip the Shaw Free Range app using APK saver from your android device and you should be in theory able to run this on windows.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 01:44 PM   #112
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks, will give it a try!
Old 01-18-2016, 01:47 PM   #113
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
If you have a modern router (most ASUS will have this), you can also just set up a VPN to your house and watch it from your home connection. It's pretty simple and you can also log into your computer at home. Best part of this is it costs you nothing in subscription fees.
Yes good idea, but I wonder how fast it would be. Shaw upload is very weak, would that be a bottleneck?

Unblock is $5/month and dead simple, and you get a week free trial. So if you went away you could sign up the first time you need it and get a week at no cost then cancel.

Both good ideas tho.
Old 01-18-2016, 01:57 PM   #114
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Yes good idea, but I wonder how fast it would be. Shaw upload is very weak, would that be a bottleneck?

Unblock is $5/month and dead simple, and you get a week free trial. So if you went away you could sign up the first time you need it and get a week at no cost then cancel.

Both good ideas tho.
Well typical HD streams run at around 10Mbps on MPEG2. If you're talking about Free Range I'd expect them to be using something a bit more efficient like H.264/H.265/HLS. You'd be looking at around anywhere from 2-4Mbps given that the majority of devices don't run at full HD and because of the adaptive nature of the online video streaming i.e. It looks like the video quality is being degraded as the connection quality is going down on Free Range from what I can tell.

So, if you have 30Mbps package for internet, you should be able to handle the upload given you have roughly 5Mbps up to begin with. Definitely if you have a lower package then 30Mbps or you are in an community where there is a lot of congestion (internet traffic) you'll likely have issues with the "free" way of doing this and be bottlenecked.
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameOn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #115
Krovikan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

Both good ideas tho.
I'm not sure how anyone can trust these public VPN services, they can easily set up a transparent proxy and gain access to your browsing. If you say visit the calgarypuck forums while connected to unblockus like service everything you do (like authentication) can risks exposure since their is no encryption.

You can get the same type of service by setting up your own PPTP VPN instead of paying for theirs. I use Digital Ocean as my VPS provider and you can follow a simple tutorial, https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...-vpn-with-pptp

Costs are the exact same with less risk of having your data intercepted, and if you don't want to use PPTP you can look at an L2TP/IPSec VPN; however this is more complicated of a setup process.
Krovikan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Krovikan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #116
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOn View Post
You might be able to do this via bluestacks. This runs android apps on windows
http://www.bluestacks.com/about-us.html
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...pymyapps&hl=en

Download bluestacks, rip the Shaw Free Range app using APK saver from your android device and you should be in theory able to run this on windows.
Got it setup, didn't need to rip anything, just downloaded form the the Play Store. So the app itself works, but I get the error "we're sorry, but we're not able to handle this request right now. Please try again later".
Old 01-18-2016, 10:27 PM   #117
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krovikan View Post
I'm not sure how anyone can trust these public VPN services, they can easily set up a transparent proxy and gain access to your browsing. If you say visit the calgarypuck forums while connected to unblockus like service everything you do (like authentication) can risks exposure since their is no encryption.

You can get the same type of service by setting up your own PPTP VPN instead of paying for theirs. I use Digital Ocean as my VPS provider and you can follow a simple tutorial, https://www.digitalocean.com/communi...-vpn-with-pptp

Costs are the exact same with less risk of having your data intercepted, and if you don't want to use PPTP you can look at an L2TP/IPSec VPN; however this is more complicated of a setup process.
Thanks for this. I haven't been technical in a while, but will look at this for sure.

I have the same concern as you. That is why I only setup unblock on my set top boxes. I guess it would be better to go full stealth however.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:23 PM   #118
wooohooo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I only have internet 15 at home and when I'm torrenting and playing PS4 online, my wife has no problems watching through the app
wooohooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 11:25 PM   #119
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Slingbox
Old 01-20-2016, 10:17 PM   #120
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Do I have to pay for Shaw Free Range? I can login in apps like Sportsnet, but logging in in free range just brings me to some screen that sounds like I need to add it to my account.