Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-18-2018, 02:01 PM   #21
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
I was fine with McAvoy going to make a hit on Johnny, what I didn't like was how his gloves/elbow/forearms were projected upwards towards Johnny's face/head.

That part of the hit is unacceptable IMO.
I'm not seeing that part myself. Where Johnny's head is is tough to avoid in this matchup, but it looks like he tries to push his opposite shoulder if anything

Split98 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Split98 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:09 PM   #22
robertsfan
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

How was Johhny's skating after the knee-on-knee hit just a few shifts prior? That actually has me more concerned.
robertsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to robertsfan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #23
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Split98 View Post
I'm not seeing that part myself. Where Johnny's head is is tough to avoid in this matchup, but it looks like he tries to push his opposite shoulder if anything

Yea looking at it from that angle on loop it looks like it's just cause Johnny is really short that he gets the forearm, not due to an upward projection.

You're right, I'm all out of thanks but thanks!
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SeanCharles For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #24
Badgers Nose
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningYears View Post

Not as bad as the Petterson/Matheson hit but damn.
When did that stop being hockey?
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:12 PM   #25
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertsfan View Post
How was Johhny's skating after the knee-on-knee hit just a few shifts prior? That actually has me more concerned.
The knee on knee hit was at the 7 min mark of the second, the hit was at 8:29 in the 3rd. They were nowhere near close together.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #26
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
When did that stop being hockey?
It didn’t, people just really really like Johnny. Which is understandable.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:16 PM   #27
PuckFather
Draft Pick

Late hit that targeted head. League must protect its stars and I think McAvoy should be gone for at least two games if not more. BTW those Flames fans who were having fun with Pettersson's injury should be ashamed of themselves.
PuckFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #28
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah good call I didn’t see that before.

He definitely shoved him, but I think that had more to do with the fact he didn’t take a single stride between lying on the ice and hitting Gaudreau. Was probably expecting more resistance (99% of the players in the league would have required it).
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #29
puckedoff
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was watching the NBC feed but I thought it was Donato's stick that got up high on Hathaway.

I was hoping Hathaway would step up his intimidation game after that but alas, was not to be.
puckedoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:24 PM   #30
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
Yeah good call I didn’t see that before.

He definitely shoved him, but I think that had more to do with the fact he didn’t take a single stride between lying on the ice and hitting Gaudreau. Was probably expecting more resistance (99% of the players in the league would have required it).
Lol, that's a really good point I didn't notice. He did come in at a glide once getting up, and without a push it's just a really awkward bump and hug
Old 10-18-2018, 02:28 PM   #31
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Crap like this is why enforcers will someday return to NHL line-ups.
northcrunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #32
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
Crap like this is why enforcers will someday return to NHL line-ups.
I seriously doubt this.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #33
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Lol, that's a really good point I didn't notice. He did come in at a glide once getting up, and without a push it's just a really awkward bump and hug
That would be the alternative to finishing the hit in this situation, a hug. And that may be a reasonable direction for the NHL to go one day. Same with chasing a puck into the end boards, let guys grapple and hold instead of hitting (in those very specific situations).

I still don’t mind this play, and it’s why most players don’t stop for a rebound on a 2-1 or break away, and they roll out to the corner. Because you’ll get creamed.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:39 PM   #34
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That would be the alternative to finishing the hit in this situation, a hug. And that may be a reasonable direction for the NHL to go one day. Same with chasing a puck into the end boards, let guys grapple and hold instead of hitting (in those very specific situations).

I still don’t mind this play, and it’s why most players don’t stop for a rebound on a 2-1 or break away, and they roll out to the corner. Because you’ll get creamed.
There arguably shouldn't have been a hit to finish - that's why interference was called.

If it wasn't, just the shoulder would have done. Looking at it again, assuming McAvoy's elbow is where the stripes on his jersey arm are, that's the point of contact.

IMO once he made contact McAvoy didn't need to extend his arm and try to make a more violent hit.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #35
Split98
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

And why we see Tkachuk go there every chance he can get.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:42 PM   #36
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
There arguably shouldn't have been a hit to finish - that's why interference was called.

If it wasn't, just the shoulder would have done. Looking at it again, assuming McAvoy's elbow is where the stripes on his jersey arm are, that's the point of contact.

IMO once he made contact McAvoy didn't need to extend his arm and try to make a more violent hit.
I wish I could zoom in and loop this.

Shoulder to face. He spins right into it. Shoulder, directly to his face. Elbow isn’t involved at all.

And again, he’s hardly moving. He hasn’t taken a stride since laying on the ice. He pushes through for that reason.

Last edited by Scroopy Noopers; 10-18-2018 at 02:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:48 PM   #37
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I wish I could zoom in and loop this.

Shoulder to face. He spins right into it. Shoulder, directly to his face. Elbow isn’t involved at all.

And again, he’s hardly moving. He hasn’t taken a stride since laying on the ice. He pushes through for that reason.
I would imagine the fact he's gliding at the hit means he took at least one or two strides. I'm no physicist but I think it's impossible otherwise.

Elbow to face - That's what I see on both angles. And the fact he turns into it gives it more momentum. And then he follows through by extending his arm, not upward, but downward because that's the direction of the hit (and why McAvoy ends up bent over with his leg out).

Like was said above (or in the other thread) it's a useless debate at this point. It reminds me of the arena debate where people argue details of the plans but are against the entire notion of public money being used.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:51 PM   #38
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I would imagine the fact he's gliding at the hit means he took at least one or two strides. I'm no physicist but I think it's impossible otherwise.
You’re right it is a useless debate. But this is the stuff that annoys me about them. The video is linked right there (or in one of the two threads). You just need to watch it once to see him laying on the ice and take 0 strides (besides a half backwards crossover to turn around). And yet you’ve used it as part of the debate twice now.

But now we’re just bickering so I’m good to call it. Every one involved is safe and sound.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #39
stemit14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Happy that it sounds like gaudreau is ok. His skill level is crazy... the penalty afterwards makes everyone not focus on how he blew past the defender and made a beautiful move on Rask at high speed... Rask made an amazing save to stop him. I think Johnny is going to have another awesome year.

The hit makes me miss the days when you never had to worry about our superstar... trying to hit iginla like that would only end badly for the other team because the following would be the result:

1) iginla would drop the gloves and beat the snot out of whoever did it; and
2) iginla would engage beast mode and score 2 goals in response

The lesson would be learned: don’t poke the bear.

No one really left in the league that handled himself like iginla did.
stemit14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:55 PM   #40
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

No elbow or not the puck is well out of the picture. Is there such thing as a clean hit on a player that doesn’t have the puck?
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post: