- Valimaki first goal
- Is Gaudreau hurt?
- Smith solid
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:06 PM   #2
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

One of my favorite parts of the season has been watching two rookies on the back end. Neither look perfect yet, but you have to pleased with 1) their progress, 2)the team's results with 2 rookies back there and 3) Peter's willingness to play them.

It's fantastic.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2018, 11:47 PM   #3
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

One thing I notice and don't like is when it's a 5-on-3 the Flames sub Tkachuk out for Neal.

The chemistry wasn't there with the 5 man unit the way it is with Tkachuk out there.

Just stick with the PP unit that works and work on finding the right fit for the 2nd unit.
SeanCharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:53 PM   #4
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post
One thing I notice and don't like is when it's a 5-on-3 the Flames sub Tkachuk out for Neal.

The chemistry wasn't there with the 5 man unit the way it is with Tkachuk out there.

Just stick with the PP unit that works and work on finding the right fit for the 2nd unit.
What line drew the 2nd penalty? Might have been Tkachuk's.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:19 AM   #5
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

Gaudreau has been getting smashed lately. Really focused on the game when they zoom over his face at the game he looks warrior.

Taking a lot of punishment and jumping up.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:43 AM   #6
FlamesFanFromBC
First Line Centre

Exp:

Frolik was definitely fired up

https://twitter.com/user/status/1052842108892012545
Old 10-18-2018, 02:54 AM   #7
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
What line drew the 2nd penalty? Might have been Tkachuk's.
I guess you could be right and its just a coincidence that a couple 5-on-3's I recall so far in the early season had Neal on it because Tkachuk wasn't fully rested..

Just noticed it's not the first time and I don't like the way they seem less structured when he's on instead.
Old 10-18-2018, 03:44 AM   #8
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

I had a bit of nothing-to-do on my hands, so looked this up:

Last season at this point we had 1 goal from the bottom 6.
This season we have 4-6 goals from the bottom 6 (depending on who you count as top 6.)

Same 4-2-0 record, but goal differential is now 23-18 vs. 17-17 last season. With points from defense being about the same, you can already see a pretty direct correlation between improved forward depth and improved scoring / goal differential.

That's definitely a good sign.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCharles View Post

That was s brutal 5 on 3 and Neal in particular made some bad plays. It definitely needs some work.
Strange Brew is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 08:33 AM   #10
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looked like Neal was the goat on the 5-3 but I'm not so sure. I think the wide shot was because Chara got a stick on it, and he was open for the same one, but the passer missed him by a good margin. That said, Lindholm seems to have chemistry with Monahan and Johnny, so put him there.

The fact Chara got a stick on it is one reason you put a RHS on that side (it's a harder angle to defend for the defenceman playing the middle).
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:05 AM   #11
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itse View Post
I had a bit of nothing-to-do on my hands, so looked this up:

Last season at this point we had 1 goal from the bottom 6.
This season we have 4-6 goals from the bottom 6 (depending on who you count as top 6.)

Same 4-2-0 record, but goal differential is now 23-18 vs. 17-17 last season. With points from defense being about the same, you can already see a pretty direct correlation between improved forward depth and improved scoring / goal differential.

That's definitely a good sign.
Good post. As much as we all wanted more goals, IMO it's more important to have a good overall goal differential. Playoffs teams are very rarely even when it comes to goals for and against. Good teams have a substantial + differential. The Flames have been cursed for a while with having bad goal differentials. It's nice to see them so far being on the plus side.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:25 AM   #12
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

I agree on the young defensemen ... it's such a good sign. Valimaki got owned in the Calgary zone early last night and that happens. But both of them look like NHLers now, this isn't "should we send them down?" at all anymore, they're already proving to be 6/7 guys pushing into 5/6 and possibly 4/5.

Also a good sign to see Bennett again strong on the puck and creating last night. He seems to be getting some chemistry with Neal. Thought Jankowski had a good start but a rough third period.

They may want to try Ryan between those two.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2018, 09:41 AM   #13
HitterD
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
I agree on the young defensemen ... it's such a good sign. Valimaki got owned in the Calgary zone early last night and that happens. But both of them look like NHLers now, this isn't "should we send them down?" at all anymore, they're already proving to be 6/7 guys pushing into 5/6 and possibly 4/5.

Also a good sign to see Bennett again strong on the puck and creating last night. He seems to be getting some chemistry with Neal. Thought Jankowski had a good start but a rough third period.

Agree with everything you said here, except the bolded. I'm fully hoping Dube is back between those two by next game. I think his style of play suits Bennett and Neal better than Ryan. (better offensive instincts IMO and a bit quicker).

Love having so many options though.
HitterD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 09:52 AM   #14
belsarius
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I thought in the few shifts on the top line that Bennett showed some good chemistry with Lindholm. Lots of forecheck and puck pursuit. I would love if they gave him a shot between the two of them.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Tkachuk
Bennett-Lindholm-Neal
Janskowski-Backlund-Frolik
Dube-Ryan-Czarnik

Probably wouldn't work out pushing Backlund down, but I think this would give two very dangerous scoring lines and a good shut down line that can contribute. Anything is possible with the Peters blender!
The @NHLFlames are the first team to feature four players each with 50+ points within their first 45 games of a season since the Penguins in 1995-96 (Ron Francis, Mario Lemieux, Jaromir Jagr, Tomas Sandstrom).
belsarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 02:03 PM   #15
SeanCharles
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

I'm pretty excited about our d-core.

It looks like Hanifin is slowly becoming our #2 in terms of icetime. Prob has to do with PP time but either way I like it.
Old 10-18-2018, 02:06 PM   #16
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Janko muffed more than a couple clearing attempts in the third. He needs to be a bit more energetic, use his size, but moreover, make sensible plays, especially in that lead protection mode they were in. He takes quite a few outside shots. I'd like to see him closer to the net - he has good hands.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 03:53 PM   #17
D as in David
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Seeing Bennett on Jankowski's line last night made me think that with the pace that he plays at, he'd be better off on a line with Dube along with a quick-playing RW (Czarnik?). Jankowski likes to slow the play down and I've always felt that, ultimately, he'd be a good fit with Tkachuk.
D as in David is offline   Reply With Quote