Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #1
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:
Default Canadian Telecoms Most Profitable Per GB in the World

Color me shocked

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2018/0...rt_a_23479736/

Relevant graph:
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:06 AM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally! Something we're on par with the Greeks on!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

It's ridiculous.

Mind you, I'm on a MB Koodo plan and recently got this message:

Spoiler!

I swear, last month it was $10 for 1GB. They just keep gouging left and right.
Looch City is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Looch City For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #4
Red Ice Player
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post

Not that I'm doubting this data, but the thread title is misleading. The article states that Canada has the most expensive data, accounting for our very low data usage. It doesn't say that our telecoms are the most profitable. Revenue and profit are not the same thing. Maybe they are the most profitable, but the article doesn't say that.
Red Ice Player is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Red Ice Player For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #5
The Yen Man
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I've been on a grandfathered company plan with Rogers for years, so I've been paying $50 for a 6GB data plan. Thinking that after about 4 years, I should see if plans are better now since I figured with technology advances, $/GB should be going down right?

Looked into Rogers new plans. It's stupidly expensive! Without any special promos, a 6GB plan would cost me between $80-$100 bucks a month. Like WTF?! And then the rep tells me its because there are a lot more users with bandwidth intensive needs these days, so more strain on their infrastructure, hence the increase. But then that tells me Rogers is just charging more without upgrading any of their towers / systems to handle more data.

Guess I'm sticking to my plan for awhile.
The Yen Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #6
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm far from a wireless apologist, but that graph is labeled revenue per GB not profit per GB. It seems likely to me that Canada has high costs pet GB as well, given its a big, small population country.

I'm pretty happy with my $40/4GB ($38 on autopay) with public mobile that they offer every once in awhile.
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:36 AM   #7
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

According to this: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...671064933.html

If I'm reading it right, Rogers made 5.3 billion CAD in profit on 14.1 billion in revenue in 2017.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #8
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by driveway View Post
According to this: https://www.newswire.ca/news-release...671064933.html

If I'm reading it right, Rogers made 5.3 billion CAD in profit on 14.1 billion in revenue in 2017.
Good for them but that's obscene.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:39 AM   #9
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Currently I don't use a plan. It seems like Freedom Mobile is way ahead in pricing but hear their reception is very poor. Has anyone used them before?
Flamenspiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:48 AM   #10
driveway
A Fiddler Crab

Exp:

If the numbers in that Rogers thing are correct and I'm reading it right, they had a profit margin of 37% in 2017.

This: https://www.vodafone.com/content/ind...rch-2018.html#

Indicates that Vodaphone made 4.3 billion Euro (6.61 billion CAD) on 46.6 billion Euro in revenue. So, 9.2% profit margin.
driveway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The only winning move is not to play.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:05 PM   #12
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zamler View Post
Good for them but that's obscene.
Why is that considered obscene? What is an acceptable profit for you?

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Why is that considered obscene? What is an acceptable profit for you?
I can't speak for Zamler, but I couldn't care less what the profits are for these companies. All I know is that after travelling to many different places around the world and seeing how competitive SIM cards and internet services/prices are in those places, we here in Canada are getting boned.

I just want to pay competitive prices and having the big 3 pretty much monopolising the market prevents that. I just recently switched over to Virgin Mobile on a 4GB plan for 55$/month, after paying that same price for 500MB the previous plan. While it seems like a good deal to get all that extra data, I suddenly remember how awesome my 35GB for $9 plan was in Europe a couple months ago. I then realise once again just how crappy we have it here when it comes to cellular plans and services.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:15 PM   #14
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I can't speak for Zamler, but I couldn't care less what the profits are for these companies. All I know is that after travelling to many different places around the world and seeing how competitive SIM cards and internet services/prices are in those places, we here in Canada are getting boned.

I just want to pay competitive prices and having the big 3 pretty much monopolising the market prevents that. I just recently switched over to Virgin Mobile on a 4GB plan for 55$/month, after paying that same price for 500MB the previous plan. While it seems like a good deal to get all that extra data, I suddenly remember how awesome my 35GB for $9 plan was in Europe a couple months ago. I then realise once again just how crappy we have it here when it comes to cellular plans and services.
People tend to forget the massive amount of infrastructure needed in this country with a limited amount of users, per capita.

Although, my plan of $60 for 10 GB and unlimited everything might not be the best in the world, I am quite happy to pay it in Canada.
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Weitz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 01:23 PM   #15
Rutuu
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I'm far from a wireless apologist, but that graph is labeled revenue per GB not profit per GB. It seems likely to me that Canada has high costs pet GB as well, given its a big, small population country.

I'm pretty happy with my $40/4GB ($38 on autopay) with public mobile that they offer every once in awhile.
Never stop wanting more mate. You can get 16GB here in Aus for $50/m. That's means HD NHL gamecenter while laying on the beach.
Rutuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:45 PM   #16
Nsd1
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Canadian Telecoms:

Nsd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:22 PM   #17
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post
People tend to forget the massive amount of infrastructure needed in this country with a limited amount of users, per capita.

Although, my plan of $60 for 10 GB and unlimited everything might not be the best in the world, I am quite happy to pay it in Canada.
Australia faces basically the same challenges as Canada in that regard and their prices are way better.

We are getting boned.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oil Stain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 02:46 PM   #18
bizaro86
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weitz View Post

I seriously considered moving to Australia a few years ago. Maybe I should have...
bizaro86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 02:50 PM   #19
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
I seriously considered moving to Australia a few years ago. Maybe I should have...
That could be good marketing...

Come to Australia, where the data rates won't kill you, but everything else will!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 02:58 PM   #20
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
Currently I don't use a plan. It seems like Freedom Mobile is way ahead in pricing but hear their reception is very poor. Has anyone used them before?

I have used them since 2012 and I have had very few issues. The network quality has improved a lot since 2012 and the plans are fantastic in many ways.

If you have your own phone and are unhappy with your current provider, give them a shot! There is little downside as if you are not happy, you can leave them and go back to your previous provider as a "new client" and can take advantage of any promos or anything.

A few of the common issues are the odd missed call and the phone never rang, some people I know have had the odd issue with international sms texts and depending on your model of phone (band 66) you may not be able to get LTE speeds. You will get 3.5 G.

On the roaming to the US, Mexico and others they are excellent and have a great plans.

Good luck!
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote