Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2018, 10:58 AM   #21
Yrebmi
First Line Centre

Exp:

That was a fun article.
I do wish the authors would have the courage to doll out D's or even F's.
A "C-" as the lowest grade seems a tad timid.
Yrebmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:01 AM   #22
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Seemed like a pretty well written article.

I had a bit of trouble with SJ getting a B+ considering they had no acquisitions at all. He sites Kane of course, but I think Kane playing the stretch drive, with a new team, in a contract year, is a very different animal than Kane with a nice new, fat multi-year contract.

But we shall see.
He says that Lehtonen is a UFA fit. I wouldn't let him hold Rittich's water bottle, let alone take over the back-up position.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:05 AM   #23
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
The Flames did not exceed expectations in 1988–89, they met them. They were consistently a top-3 team in the League heading into that season.
They won the Stanley Cup man. That is more than even exceeding expectations, that is having your fantasies fulfilled.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #24
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichKlit View Post
Looks like I disagree with most of you, I think we need to go out and get a another goalie with experience. We are poised for a run and I don’t want to have to rely on 2 inexperienced younger guys. Smith’s injury history has me a little nervous a guy like Mason mentioned earlier would go a long way to solidify the position.

I would prefer one of the young guys to break out but I don’t want to bank the season on Smiths health or the young guys taking a huge step.
How is one of the young guys going to break out when they are (a) not playing in the NHL and (b) splitting time in the AHL (with Parsons being held up in the ECHL as well)? They are 24-25 years old.

Goalies supposedly take longer, yeah, but eventually they need their shot.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:17 AM   #25
RichKlit
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

I’m a little shocked at how wish on a star attitude so many seem to be taking about the goaltending situation especially based on results over the last few years. We haven’t had steady goaltending since kipper in my opinion and it has derailed more than just last years season.
RichKlit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #26
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I’m a little shocked at how wish on a star attitude so many seem to be taking about the goaltending situation especially based on results over the last few years. We haven’t had steady goaltending since kipper in my opinion and it has derailed more than just last years season.
Well, in the first place I would say that the Flames had steady goaltending last year. Smith and Rittich were both great for the better part of the season. But I would say that I saw enough from both of them to feel confident that with a better balance in their workload, and with a better showing for Smith at the Saddledome the Flames will be just fine. Rittich was a rookie who acquitted himself very well, and I think would benefit from an increase in his starts this year. Smith looked perfectly capable fo playing a 60-game season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:24 AM   #27
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
True but UFA signings and trades haven't really worked out so well. Maybe time to go with the goalies in the organization?
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #28
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

You can certainly pick away at any of these reports, but I always like to see a non Calgary market view of changes and where certain individuals see the team.

That's 2 of 3 in the past few days that have Calgary not only making the playoffs but making some noise.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 11:58 AM   #29
activeStick
Franchise Player

Exp:

Due to the, what feels like, unanimous skepticism for Kane, I actually want him to succeed, of course not over the Flames though. So maybe a great season, but losing to the Flames in the conference finals would be good.
activeStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:04 PM   #30
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

I wish he included UFAs that haven't signed anywhere in the departures. Seems notable in a lot of cases.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 12:22 PM   #31
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
I agree with him except about Calgary's backups. Even there, I agree it's a concern, but I disagree that Calgary should be looking for backup help now. Calgary needs to find out what they have with a bigger NHL sample from Gillies or Rittich. The experienced backup thing with Lack was a failure and resulted in Smith playing too much. I think Rittich showed he can play a solid backup role (sure he couldn't handle emergency number one when Smith went down but he was perfectly fine as a backup).
Rittich was great when he wasn't penned as THE guy.

I think when Smith went down, there was some between the ears pressures that took Rittich off his game which was largely solid prior to switching seats. When you're a young guy that's not unheard of, and dropping the ball as a starter in the first season on an NHL roster probably shouldn't erase what he showed in a capacity of a backup. I'd say very few goalies are ready for that in year one. Don't know why Rittich should be chased out of town when he gave the Flames the best group of performances from a backup in years and years.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to djsFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #32
Bring_Back_Shantz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by trumpethead View Post
If you win the Stanley Cup then you have exceeded expectations. Period.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Off season Oilers fans from the last 10 years would beg to differ.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:27 PM   #33
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
That's a pretty good writeup, but for one very odd assertion:

Where is this stockpile of youth?
The Oilers have some hugely talented prospects in the pipeline. Mind you, they're 16 and 17 years old and we don't know who they are yet, but an Oiler draft pick is most valuable before they try to pick a player with it.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:45 PM   #34
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't remember anytime where the Flames were this deep in goaltending prospects. You need to have Rittich as the backup or trade someone out so there is physical room (if you bring someone in).

Bringing in an experienced backup is a pretty heavy vote of non-confidence to Gilles and Rittich. At that point you are writing them off at the NHL level.
Old 07-12-2018, 12:50 PM   #35
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
Due to the, what feels like, unanimous skepticism for Kane, I actually want him to succeed, of course not over the Flames though. So maybe a great season, but losing to the Flames in the conference finals would be good.
I actually think he will have one good season with them, while there is still a bit of a new car smell. But regression to the norm seems inevitable, even if it takes a little while.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:02 PM   #36
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

All this talk of acquiring a veteran backup, but let's look at the list of available free agents, shall we?

I'll start by actually entertaining this idea and suggest that Kari Lehtonen wouldn't be the worst choice ever. He put up a .911 Sv% and a 2.58 GAA in Dallas last year. He can also play more games than the average backup as he played in 36 last year and is a former starter. But is Kari Lehtonen really the long term answer in net for Calgary? I'll let you guys decide, but I'd sooner give the time to young goalies that still have potential over a 34 year old washed up starter.

Here's the rest of the list, but I have to warn you, buyer beware. This is no longer a group of gently used cars that could be serviceable for a few years. This is a list of lemons that were made in countries that no longer exist. I would strongly urge to stick with the guys we have.

Steve Mason
Ondrej Pavelec
Michael Leighton (37)
Dustin Tokarski
Anders Lindback
Adam Carlson
Sean Maguire
Matt O'Connor
Jeff Glass
Tom McCollum
Jason Kasdorf

Decisions, decisions...so many good options to choose from!

Nah, Rittich showed last year that he was better than a replacement level goaltender as the back up, and Gillies was no slouch either, although he did have some rough moments here and there.

People forget this, but before Smith went down to injury, Rittich had 7 starts. His lowest save percentage in any of those games was .919, and he was regularly hovering around .940. He played exceptionally well as the backup, but struggled as the de facto starter. Not surprising for a rookie NHL goaltender.

Rittich is my man unless someone steals the job from him.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #37
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post

Nah, Rittich showed last year that he was better than a replacement level goaltender as the back up, and Gillies was no slouch either, although he did have some rough moments here and there.

People forget this, but before Smith went down to injury, Rittich had 7 starts. His lowest save percentage in any of those games was .919, and he was regularly hovering around .940. He played exceptionally well as the backup, but struggled as the de facto starter. Not surprising for a rookie NHL goaltender.

Rittich is my man unless someone steals the job from him.
Internal options are better than what's left, and you get the investment in potentially finding a tandem option for next season.

I don't think you get that if you go outside.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #38
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good post, Cali.

I would also add that when Rittich did get into trouble, it was usually the result of poor puck handling behind the net. And that is very coachable.

We need to develop these guys or we will never end the bad-goalie cycle.
Enoch Root is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 01:13 PM   #39
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch Root View Post
Good post, Cali.

I would also add that when Rittich did get into trouble, it was usually the result of poor puck handling behind the net. And that is very coachable.

We need to develop these guys or we will never end the bad-goalie cycle.
I don't think he is a poor puck handler. I think he was a rookie being encouraged to handle the puck and still learning the NHL game, not unlike a rookie defenseman who is going to make some pizzas.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2018, 01:18 PM   #40
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Neal is going to be our Hossa and win the cup on his third team in 3 years. The Flames last made the final in 04 which was 15 years ago next year and 15 years after they won in 89
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Vinny01 For This Useful Post: