Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2021, 01:48 PM   #1
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:
Post Flames' Advanced Statistics

I haven't seen a lot of discussion regarding the Flames advanced statistics this season. I think they're interesting. The Flames rank 7th in the league for CF%, 7th in the league for xGF%, and 8th in the league for SCF%. Those are the advanced statistics of a team solidly in the playoffs (likely with home ice advantage in at least the first round.)

So... why weren't the Flames able to translate those statistics into wins?

Last edited by Makarov; 05-10-2021 at 01:57 PM.
Makarov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:49 PM   #2
Itse
Franchise Player

Exp:

Because that's not how that works.
Itse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Itse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #3
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm guessing one reason will be the very poor goaltending they received for a large portion of the season after Markstrom came back from his injury.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:50 PM   #4
TurdFerguson
Franchise Player

Exp:

NSFW!
Old 05-10-2021, 01:53 PM   #5
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

They can’t finish and can’t score consistently. They also are very fragile in tight games. What those stats tell you is that they should be much better than they are. But my above 2 points is who they really are.
jlh2640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #6
Hoop27
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Because the game isn't played on a spreadsheet.
Old 05-10-2021, 01:57 PM   #7
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

They don't finish their chances

No it's not the .905 goal tending of Markstrom holding them back. He has been .930 and under 2 goals against in his last 12 yet the Flames only have six wins.

Last edited by dino7c; 05-10-2021 at 02:09 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 01:58 PM   #8
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raw numbers like that are a bit misleading for me. Corsi, when game situation isn't considered (ie. when game is tied, trailing, with lead) can be misconstrued, for example, if a team that gives up early leads and gets behind often (which the flames did for most of the year) where the element of "garbage time" or the opposition team taking their foot off the gas offensively, makes the corsi number look good, but not really reflective of how the game(s) played out.

The only real stat I like to look at are score adjusted scoring and high danger chances for/against at 5/5, and high level special team %s, usually can help tell you how a team is truly doing, if you want to look beyond W/Ls.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #9
Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
Raw numbers like that are a bit misleading for me. Corsi, when game situation isn't considered (ie. when game is tied, trailing, with lead) can be misconstrued, for example, if a team that gives up early leads and gets behind often (which the flames did for most of the year) where the element of "garbage time" or the opposition team taking their foot off the gas offensively, makes the corsi number look good, but not really reflective of how the game(s) played out.

The only real stat I like to look at are score adjusted scoring and high danger chances for/against at 5/5, and high level special team %s, usually can help tell you how a team is truly doing, if you want to look beyond W/Ls.
Fair point. But the 5-on-5 statistics look pretty similar when score- and venue-adjusted: 8th in CF%, 9th in xGF%, and 9th in SCF%.
Old 05-10-2021, 02:04 PM   #10
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makarov View Post
I haven't seen a lot of discussion regarding the Flames advanced statistics this season. I think they're interesting. The Flames rank 7th in the league for CF%, 7th in the league for xGF%, and 8th in the league for SCF%. Those are the advanced statistics of a team solidly in the playoffs (likely with home ice advantage in at least the first round.)

For starters, it's a tale of two seasons.

Flames under Ward:
24 GP
50.26% CF
51.02% xGF
8.12% SH%
92.47% SV%

Flames under Sutter:
26 GP
54.78% CF
54.24% xGF
8.11% SH%
90.56% SV%

So basically, since Sutter took over, we've played much better hockey... but have not gotten the goaltending needed to win the games in which we outplayed the opponents.

Had Sutter been the coach over the full season, he would have benefited from the solid goaltending we got early on, before the Sigalet Effect took over. Had they been playing Sutter hockey with early season goaltending, they're probably sitting in a playoff spot right now.

I also think Sutter shot himself in the foot early on with his short-lived #1RW Brett Ritchie infatuation. He'd probably like a mulligan on that.

The crazy thing is though, now under both coaches, the shooting percentages are pretty respectable. It's really just the SV% under Sutter and the shot volume under Ward that tanked the season.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."

Last edited by GranteedEV; 05-10-2021 at 02:09 PM.
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 02:08 PM   #11
Patek23
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been said numerous times. But advanced stats are meaningless without context. If the winner were decided by your Corsi/Fenwick then I'd probably put more weight in it but too me their just as flawed as being indicators of anything as +/-.
Patek23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 02:09 PM   #12
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Need a scoring RWer.

Wish we had known Mantha was available. But that seemed like a secret deal between DET/TBL.

We couldn’t score for crap this season. Also, line combinations were atrocious at the start of the season. The Gaudreau - Lindholm - Tkachuk line has been solid.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ForeverFlameFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 02:10 PM   #13
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Unsustainable?
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dammage79 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 02:20 PM   #14
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
For starters, it's a tale of two seasons.

Flames under Ward:
24 GP
50.26% CF
51.02% xGF
8.12% SH%
92.47% SV%

Flames under Sutter:
26 GP
54.78% CF
54.24% xGF
8.11% SH%
90.56% SV%

So basically, since Sutter took over, we've played much better hockey... but have not gotten the goaltending needed to win the games in which we outplayed the opponents.

Had Sutter been the coach over the full season, he would have benefited from the solid goaltending we got early on, before the Sigalet Effect took over. Had they been playing Sutter hockey with early season goaltending, they're probably sitting in a playoff spot right now.

I also think Sutter shot himself in the foot early on with his short-lived #1RW Brett Ritchie infatuation. He'd probably like a mulligan on that.

The crazy thing is though, now under both coaches, the shooting percentages are pretty respectable. It's really just the SV% under Sutter and the shot volume under Ward that tanked the season.

Yeah this isn't what happened....Markstrom got blown the #### up and injured. He then returned from said injury, like many players returning from an injury, he was not nearly as good as he was before the injury.
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 02:26 PM   #15
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:

A few theories.

1) What we do know:
- Flames haven't finished, most of their key players are having down years for shooting percentage and on ice shooting percentage (Flames 16th five on five in shooting percentage as a team, 18th with the powerplay)
- Markstrom injury left a big chunk of the season where the Flames weren't getting the save (Flames 19th five on five in save percentage as a team, 25th when killing penalties).

2) The evolution of stats:
- Flames may be the poster team for how much a stat like high danger chances needs more shades of gray. Perhaps they do just enough to trigger an occurrence of a high danger event, but don't have the other elements to truly be dangerous.

3) Murphy's Law:
- Pretty much any and everything that could go wrong has gone wrong this season. Some bad luck is certainly in play.
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 03:02 PM   #16
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Haven't the Flames always had really good advanced statistics since the start of the GG era? The Flames are the Corsi Kings of the NHL, they're basically top 5 or top 10 every year. But they've been a failure of a team because Treliving has constantly chased after elite analytics players who can put up high shot volumes but have zero finish. The sample size and data sets are quite large at this point and I think it's a more than fair conclusion to draw.

Based on what I've seen over the Treliving era, very few players on this team have one shot scoring capability or the talent to create their own high quality shot. Until this organization starts looking at things differently, they won't be doing anything differently.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:10 PM   #17
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

It's Stephen Harper's fault
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:27 PM   #18
united
First Line Centre

Exp:

Via SportLoqiq:

When you're a team that struggles to generate off the rush and plays low event hockey to begin with, you can ill afford to have streaky or poor goaltending because you have few opportunities to score your way back into games.

The Flames have being playing about as expected given the construction of the roster, and have improved under Sutter, but goaltending has been a struggle.

"You ain't gotta like me. You're just mad 'cause I tell it how it is and you tell it how it might be."
united is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to united For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2021, 03:31 PM   #19
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Yeah this isn't what happened....Markstrom got blown the #### up and injured. He then returned from said injury, like many players returning from an injury, he was not nearly as good as he was before the injury.
Your narrative is no more "what happened" than mine. He missed a handful of games, but there's no evidence that the upper body injury affected his play.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 03:32 PM   #20
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Looking at all situations they have:

8.80 Shooting Percentage - 26th
.900 Save Percentage - 20th

If you are below 20th in the league in both of those categories you aren't going to have much success in this league.

Flames are top 10 in Corsi For, High Danger Corsi For, and expected goals for BUT if you're lacking the talent to finish, and if they aren't getting saves (which there was a good 30 game stretch where they didn't), then you aren't going to win very much.
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SuperMatt18 For This Useful Post: