Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2021, 11:16 AM   #61
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You also missed cheap!

I think what he really wants is a personal barista that works for free.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 12:28 PM   #62
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

We agree on something, Fuzz. Cecil, why can't you just buy one of those cheap drip machines and be done with it?
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:32 PM   #63
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
If you want good coffee for a decent price, buy a decent grinder and a pour over.

Quick and fast.

Anyone ever ordered beans from Buy Coffee Canada? They supposedly roast them as orders get placed, but I've found some to be stale.
I’ve been using a bialetti stovetop for 10 years and love it. Grinding the beans fresh is key.

The Melitta whole bean is a pretty good coffee for its price point. It’s my daily.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:45 PM   #64
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
I covet that Niche grinder, it would be perfect for my setup. My current dilemma is I am due for new burrs on my Mazzer, do I bother or just take the plunge on a Niche? I have an old conical burr Saeco for pour over etc. grinding, this would just be for espresso.
Not sure which Mazzer you have, but replacement burrs aren't that expensive. I haven't changed a burr set myself, but there's lots of videos on YouTube and you could probably do it yourself.

You won't taste a difference in cup quality with the Niche, although your workflow might be a bit easier since you can dose your beans, dump into the grinder, and then basically forget about it while you prep other stuff.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 02:10 PM   #65
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You also missed cheap!

I think what he really wants is a personal barista that works for free.
Isn't that what we all want? Now get back to making my coffee Fuzz.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 03:10 PM   #66
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Isn't that what we all want? Now get back to making my coffee Fuzz.
Sit tight and don't panic. It's totally on the way.
Old 05-07-2021, 09:08 PM   #67
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I'm also looking for something that does single serve. I do not need or want an entire pot of coffee. I have to watch my caffeine intake and need to be able to alternate between caffeine (1 cup in morning) and decaf (1 cup before noon).

Grinding myself sounds like a lot of work but we can ease into that. Not gonna lie, I was hoping for some sort of magical, all in one grinder and single serve maker.
Aero press inverted method, vacuum kettle for boiled water on demand and pre-ground beans might work for you. Shield be less than $150-200. IMO the effort is less than a coffee machine. You can even pair the vacuum kettle with a smart plug so it automatically turns on and off for you. Get into grinding beans later on.

Clean up is easier than a French press and coffee machine. You plunger the beans and paper filter out and then quick rinse and let dry.

If this is still too much effort, the only other solution is probably child labour. Teach a kid to make aero press coffee for you in the morning.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 PM   #68
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I really appreciate the responses. Many knowledgeable coffee experts on CP apparently.

I’ll be honest, I was all gung ho about this two days ago and reading all these responses has paralyzed me with laziness, overwhelmed by too many options and indecisiveness.

I’ll revisit this again in the future. For now, I’ll continue to drink swill.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:17 PM   #69
I-Hate-Hulse
Franchise Player

Exp:

nm

Last edited by I-Hate-Hulse; 05-07-2021 at 11:23 PM.
I-Hate-Hulse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 11:04 AM   #70
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I ran into this thing this morning. It's a modified tea steeper with a pump or something to make coffee. Kinda weird.

I'm kinda tempted.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 08:28 AM   #71
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Timed my morning routine today. Pour beans, grind, dose, weigh, tamp, pull the shot. Repeat. Steam milk and build a latte and a flat white - 3:30 or less. Caveat is the machine is on a timer so it was hot. But I don't have a single dose grinder so that takes a bit longer.

Not picking on anyone in the thread, but I've had so many friends see my set up at the house and say they couldn't possibly have time to use it every morning. With a bit of practice, pretty much anyone can get under 5 mins for a couple of drinks. For good coffee, seems like a decent trade off.
InglewoodFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2021, 08:33 AM   #72
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still like drip on a timer in the morning. It's ready, I just pour it in my cup. Plus I'd also have to make one or 2 for my wife in the morning, so that's 4 x 3 minute sessions. Afternoon coffee comes from the fancy machine, when I am capable of operating it.
Old 05-12-2021, 11:25 AM   #73
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I really appreciate the responses. Many knowledgeable coffee experts on CP apparently.

I’ll be honest, I was all gung ho about this two days ago and reading all these responses has paralyzed me with laziness, overwhelmed by too many options and indecisiveness.

I’ll revisit this again in the future. For now, I’ll continue to drink swill.
Area man looking for laziest way to make coffee inundated with choices; but too lazy to choose.

News at 11
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 02:18 PM   #74
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
That Moccamaster is a little out of my price range but it is the right idea. Anyone use one of the Ninja machines?
I almost pulled the trigger on the Moccamaster but ended up going with an OXO instead.
https://www.amazon.ca/8718800-Brew-C.../dp/B07H9G93WK

Paired it with a Baratza Encore grinder. If you're not going to grind your own beans just stick with whatever you're doing now, or switch to a half-decent instant. I have yet to find a review on any of the all-in-one setups that isn't a total PITA to clean.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 08:05 AM   #75
Boblobla
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, so this thread made me pull the trigger on a Moccamaster and a burr grinder. Now I need to find a nearby go-to for getting my beans. I am in the deep south, any recommendations? I would prefer not to have to drive to 17th to get my beans...
Boblobla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Boblobla For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 09:15 AM   #76
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boblobla View Post
Alright, so this thread made me pull the trigger on a Moccamaster and a burr grinder. Now I need to find a nearby go-to for getting my beans. I am in the deep south, any recommendations? I would prefer not to have to drive to 17th to get my beans...
If you like five21, they deliver for free over $30 (IIRC). So, they're local, good coffee and convenient!
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-27-2021, 04:34 PM   #77
DownInFlames
Craig McTavish' Merkin

Exp:

Coffee is for closers!

Edit: sorry. forgot the 'c'.
DownInFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DownInFlames For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2021, 07:56 AM   #78
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Converted my Mazzer Mini to doserless a couple of weeks ago. Found all the parts at a local outfit called Coffee Addicts. Saved me a bunch of cash in exchange and duties over buying at one of the US sites like Espresso Parts NW.

Am definitely happy with the consistency of the grind and reduced clumping, puck cracks and jets are pretty much nil at this point. Much better distribution. Work flow for single dosing is a bit different, bought a dosing cup which makes things smoother. All in all, happy to give the old grinder a bit of new life.
Old 06-16-2021, 11:27 AM   #79
Calgary Highlander
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

That's awesome! Did you replace the burrs as well? You already had a very capable grinder and there's great access to parts and mod guides nowadays to really optimize your setup. Think you definitely made the right call over buying a new single dosing grinder like the Niche.
Calgary Highlander is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary Highlander For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2021, 12:45 PM   #80
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary Highlander View Post
That's awesome! Did you replace the burrs as well? You already had a very capable grinder and there's great access to parts and mod guides nowadays to really optimize your setup. Think you definitely made the right call over buying a new single dosing grinder like the Niche.
Yep, new burrs too. That shop had everything I could possibly need. Thanks for the encouragement, should have done this years ago.