Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2021, 12:07 AM   #21
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

We’ve had a Nespresso Vertuo Next for about a year.

Rather, we’ve had three of them - the coffee is great but the build quality is suspect at best. This most recent one hasn’t given us any headaches, but I’ve never owned three attempts at the same thing before, and I don’t trust it.

Get yourself a milk frother.
Old 05-06-2021, 12:55 AM   #22
sl888
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodFan View Post
Random question on the Chemex - where have you been able to find paper filters?

Other roasters I like are Rosso and Phil & Seb. For a treat, I will check out Luke's for Stumptown, 49th, etc.
Eight Ounce Coffee should have Chemex filters.

I go to Luke's for Coffee Collective and Market Lane. I'm currently subscribed to Tim Wendelboe, Cupping Room and Sey.
sl888 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sl888 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 07:45 AM   #23
Jay's Beagle
Backup Goalie

Exp:

My parents live near lethbridge and they have a roaster they liked there called Cuppers. They have bought us a bunch of coffee and its damn delicious.

https://www.cuppers.ca/
Jay's Beagle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jay's Beagle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 08:19 AM   #24
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
Actually. It isn't bad... if we spice it up. We put put the grounded coffee into the coffee maker and put some cinnamon on top of the coffee.

We do NOT do cinnamon when we have good coffee. We go to a local shop here in Lethbridge and try out different kinds they have. Those are treats.
I'm a gonna try it

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:33 AM   #25
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I know nothing about coffee but I like coffee. Looking for a low effort/low-med cost/decent cup of homemade coffee. Just ballpark, no idea if what I want is actually low-med cost or will produce a decent cup of coffee.

Any suggestions for how to proceed for a newbie? Let's say my budget is $200-250 for a machine but I'm potentially flexible depending on features and such.

1. How should I make my coffee? I'm lazy so I use a Keurig. What could I buy to replace it that will make better tasting single cups that isn't gonna break the bank? Can I get something for a couple hundred? I am not interested in anything that requires effort (french press). Been there, done that. I'm willing to spend money to buy a machine that does it for me. Max effort is maybe cleaning the machine every 6 mos or whatever, if required.

2. How should I buy my coffee? Online seems to be the way from reading this thread. Do I buy beans? That's what fancy people do right? I think I saw a machine where you load the beans and it grinds them for each cup or did I just make that up? I really don't want to be responsible for grinding my own. Remember, lazy is a priority. I'm willing to pay extra for laziness.

3. Related to #1. Is there a machine that will allow me to make regular coffee and espresso and I can just buy different beans? Or should I stick to a moka pot?

Once we've figured out what kind of machine I should use and where to buy, we can move on to talking about types of coffee.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:42 AM   #26
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
I know nothing about coffee but I like coffee. Looking for a low effort/low-med cost/decent cup of homemade coffee. Just ballpark, no idea if what I want is actually low-med cost or will produce a decent cup of coffee.

Any suggestions for how to proceed for a newbie? Let's say my budget is $200-250 for a machine but I'm potentially flexible depending on features and such.

1. How should I make my coffee? I'm lazy so I use a Keurig. What could I buy to replace it that will make better tasting single cups that isn't gonna break the bank? Can I get something for a couple hundred? I am not interested in anything that requires effort (french press). Been there, done that. I'm willing to spend money to buy a machine that does it for me. Max effort is maybe cleaning the machine every 6 mos or whatever, if required.

2. How should I buy my coffee? Online seems to be the way from reading this thread. Do I buy beans? That's what fancy people do right? I think I saw a machine where you load the beans and it grinds them for each cup or did I just make that up? I really don't want to be responsible for grinding my own. Remember, lazy is a priority. I'm willing to pay extra for laziness.

3. Related to #1. Is there a machine that will allow me to make regular coffee and espresso and I can just buy different beans? Or should I stick to a moka pot?

Once we've figured out what kind of machine I should use and where to buy, we can move on to talking about types of coffee.
Nespresso coffee is really good - lots of different variations, you can do espresso pods, they’re all $0.50 a cup, they come in sleeves of ten. Pod goes in the top, press a button, and coffee appears.

There’s a descaling process that you need every couple months and that takes about 20 minutes, but it’s nothing too bad.

You can order online or in store at chinook - can also mail your used pods back - they give you a Canada post bag, and you just drop it in the mailbox to recycle them.

The machine, as I mentioned above, I’ve had build issues with, but Amazon/Nespresso have been good about it so far - they’ve sent two new machines in 10 months.

There are many Nespresso machines that aren’t the Vertuo Next and I’d recommend looking at an older, more dependable machine.

But the coffee is real good.
Old 05-06-2021, 10:01 AM   #27
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

If you want a great drip that won't break the bank, my Braun has been my favourite between crappy Cuisinart and Krupps. The Krupps was good, but the Braun is better.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It has temp options, but I like mine hot, and this has been the best for that. Pair it with a Bartza Encore (I know, it costs more than the machine, but it's worth it) and you'll be set. The Encore can also do a passable espresso grind, should you want an espresso machine at some point, but also good for the mocha pot.

https://www.amazon.ca/Baratza-Encore...3LK/ref=sr_1_3

Look around, you may be able to find a better price on that. A few local places sell it, like 8 ounce, Roastarie, and I think Fratello? Mine has been a workhorse for probably 8 years. I've replaced the burs once, and a few other pieces. The great thing is they actually have reasonably priced parts, and you can upgrade bits as you replace them, so I went to the higher end burrs for a few dollars more. You don't have to throw it out if one piece brakes.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:17 AM   #28
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 10:49 AM   #29
aaronck
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Couple years ago I bought a mid level Brevelle Expreso machine that has been great- Pair it with a mid level burr grinder and my work from home coffee is great. 90% Americano coffees which is double shot of expresso and hot water for those not in the know. I tried many different beans, but have settled on a mix of 50% Starbucks French roast, and 50% Kirkland house blend, both purchased at Costco. Lately I have been subbing this for the Kirkland house blend as I've found some great deals on Amazon (I think $13.99 was as cheap as I have found it) https://www.amazon.ca/Ethical-Bean-O...s%2C220&sr=8-5

As for cheaper machine options, French press is great, and this little unit is cheap, but I've never been able to pull a drink as good as my Brevelle but haven't actually properly measured out the grinds as Youtube tells me to do.
Has great reviews online, and many Internet tips on how to get the best cup of coffee out of it, the Aeropress https://aeropress.com/product/aeropress-coffee-maker/
aaronck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 11:25 AM   #30
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Put. That coffee. Down. Coffee's for closers only.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 12:01 PM   #31
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topfiverecords View Post
Works great if your coffee order never changes. For us millennials, we crave the unfamiliar
Old 05-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #32
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

Just buy a French press (bodums are good). You probably already have an electric kettle, and buy a grinder so your beams stay fresher. All of that is under 100 bucks and it is easy to make a few cups in less than ten minutes (including steep time)
Cappy is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 01:10 PM   #33
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Do a French press. Easiest and cheapest way to get a decent cup of coffee.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #34
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I don't want a french press. I don't care how cheap it is. I thought I was quite clear on this point. I'm very lazy and french press not for very lazy people like me.

I want to press a button and have coffee come out. Maybe fill up the bean holder once in a while. I am willing to pay money for this service. A french press could be $5 and it isn't worth it to me.
Old 05-06-2021, 01:49 PM   #35
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't want a french press. I don't care how cheap it is. I thought I was quite clear on this point. I'm very lazy and french press not for very lazy people like me.

I want to press a button and have coffee come out. Maybe fill up the bean holder once in a while. I am willing to pay money for this service. A french press could be $5 and it isn't worth it to me.
you are scum
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 01:53 PM   #36
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

I was thinking a unit like one of these two. From the Coffee Maker thread from a few months ago.

https://www.amazon.ca/Moccamaster-10...6511899&sr=8-7

or this

https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/n...-0430077p.html

That Moccamaster is a little out of my price range but it is the right idea. Anyone use one of the Ninja machines?
Old 05-06-2021, 02:33 PM   #37
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Millennials amirite

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to undercoverbrother For This Useful Post:
Old 05-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #38
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oh, sorry, ignore all my advice. I thought you said you wanted a decent cup of coffee. Even thoguh it's pretty low effort, it's not a pod. That's your option for easy. Everything else requires a mediocome of effort for decent. I think need a venn diagram here...
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:28 PM   #39
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I currently grind my own beans, usually from Monogram or Phil and Sebastian and then do the pour over method. I'm quite happy with the results, but it can be time consuming.

Are there any machines out there that can mimic the pour over results, but in a more automated fashion?
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #40
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

I need to be more adventurous with coffee. I have a Breville Brewer and a burr grinder (name escapes me, got it at Bed Bath & Beyond) but brew Nabob. The 1812 stuff. It's a solid cup of coffee. Much better than the Keurig swill at work.

I don't seem to have much luck trying other brands, always go back to Nabob.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote