Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-20-2021, 08:28 AM   #21
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully Sutter gets to bring in his own assistant coaches in the offseason. I have no idea wtf Edwards does and I have always said Huska is crap since day 1. Actually before day 1. As for Tkachuk I think this year is just an off year with so much stuff happening. That being said he either signs long term or you deal him away.
dissentowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #22
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Never would have I thought a year ago Tkachuk would be a viable option to leave unprotect at the expansion draft. Sad times to be a fan that so many of our players with high potential are just not making it
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:29 AM   #23
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Never would have I thought a year ago Tkachuk would be a viable option to leave unprotect at the expansion draft
He isn't. Don't be ridiculous.
Old 04-20-2021, 08:37 AM   #24
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mull View Post
Never would have I thought a year ago Tkachuk would be a viable option to leave unprotect at the expansion draft. Sad times to be a fan that so many of our players with high potential are just not making it
Way too early to be drinking on a Tuesday.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:39 AM   #25
Mull
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Brew View Post
Way too early to be drinking on a Tuesday.
I wish.

But ya, dumb point by me re-reading this thread. IF he has trade value > than other Seattle options, we should protect him. I guess I was just reading into the users who feel qualifying him is dumb, and my mind went to thinking well don't protect him
Mull is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mull For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:50 AM   #26
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Looking at that contract, and his play this year:
1.He’s not worth anywhere near $7M/year, and if you’re a GM, would you be willing to trade a good player to take on that contract? With current cap restrictions in place?
2. What kind of businessman would leap at raising that salary to $9M in order to keep him on the payroll?
At some point you have to say no to throwing good money after bad. I think that unless you really believe this year is an outlier, you trade for whatever you can get. And if you can’t get any takers, and if his play next year is as bad as this year, you have to bite the bullet and let him go the UFA route rather than qualify him at $9M.
Steve Bozek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #27
cKy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
Hopefully Sutter gets to bring in his own assistant coaches in the offseason. I have no idea wtf Edwards does and I have always said Huska is crap since day 1. Actually before day 1. As for Tkachuk I think this year is just an off year with so much stuff happening. That being said he either signs long term or you deal him away.
Darryl loves Huska and even tried to get him to be an A while he was with the Kings (Huska took the AHL gig). I highly doubt Huska goes anywhere.

cKy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cKy For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2021, 08:53 AM   #28
Monahammer
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not trying to be rude but did he sustain a major head injury over the last year? Watching this guy is like night and day; he used to make the smart play nearly 100% of the time. Ever since the between the legs goal went viral he is stuck in his own weird hype machine head where he's always trying the fancy low percentage play... he just looks like a big dummy out there. It's like he forgot all of the things that made him a good player and hyper focused on some of his worst attributes. I dont get it at all.
I guess we have to hope it's just a one season thing. I think his trade value is too low now to make it worth our while and I would still qualify him. But someone needs to give him a shake, sit him down, and have him watch videos of his younger fricken brother.
Monahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 08:55 AM   #29
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cKy View Post
Darryl loves Huska and even tried to get him to be an A while he was with the Kings (Huska took the AHL gig). I highly doubt Huska goes anywhere.
Well that is unfortunate.
Old 04-20-2021, 09:40 AM   #30
Since1984
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Well that is unfortunate.
There probably is a reason why you do not have a full time gig in the NHL, most likely that you have no idea how to coach children let alone grown men who are the best players in the world.

Huska has a great track record of developing NHL caliber players, especially dmen.

He has personally coached and helped develop the following Defensmen:
- Shea Weber
- Josh Gorges
- Alex Edler
- Kyle Cumiskey
- Luke Schenn
- Tyler Myers
- Tyson Barrie
- Damon Severson
- Bret Kulak
- Oliver Kylington
- Rasmus Andersson

and to a lesser extent Duncan Kieth

How many NHL players have you coached in to the NHL?
Since1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:48 AM   #31
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
There probably is a reason why you do not have a full time gig in the NHL, most likely that you have no idea how to coach children let alone grown men who are the best players in the world.

Huska has a great track record of developing NHL caliber players, especially dmen.

He has personally coached and helped develop the following Defensmen:
- Shea Weber
- Josh Gorges
- Alex Edler
- Kyle Cumiskey
- Luke Schenn
- Tyler Myers
- Tyson Barrie
- Damon Severson
- Bret Kulak
- Oliver Kylington
- Rasmus Andersson

and to a lesser extent Duncan Kieth

How many NHL players have you coached in to the NHL?
What a ridiculous post. How many NHL assistant coaches have you hired that you are an expert on coaching? See how dumb that sounds? Some of those players have done ok but many of them are borderline NHL d men, the others were going to high end D men regardless. You know who else has a great track record of developing young talent? Dallas Eakins. Is he a great coach?
Old 04-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #32
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What a ridiculous post. How many NHL assistant coaches have you hired that you are an expert on coaching? See how dumb that sounds? Some of those players have done ok but many of them are borderline NHL d men, the others were going to high end D men regardless. You know who else has a great track record of developing young talent? Dallas Eakins. Is he a great coach?
And yet you are qualified to say that he should be fired?
How does that work?
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:51 AM   #33
Macho0978
First Line Centre

Exp:

IMO what this team does will be dictated this summer. I think Gaudreau will be gone but if Tkachuk doesn't extend this summer then he needs to be moved as well. IMO building up on our prospect pool is a key right now and moving out short term assets is the best way to fix this team. Johnny and Tkachuk don't have to be traded for just picks and prospects but this team needs time to rebuild our prospect pool and if they are moved we need players that have more team control or longer term contracts coming back. Even if the players aren't as good as they are that term is needed to buy time to draft some star players.

THN lists us at 26th best prospects out of 31 teams. I hope that improves a lot after this draft but I doubt we are top 10 after this draft. I get that it's just one list but that is not a good spot to be in when your team isn't very good and you have what looks to be cap hell in 1 year. Because of this moving Tkachuk might be just as high on the priority list as moving Johnny.
Macho0978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 09:54 AM   #34
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
And yet you are qualified to say that he should be fired?
How does that work?
It's called an opinion. I know those are not your favourite thing unless it shares yours or the masses but that really should be a positive of this board, differing opinions instead of jumping on anyone who does not agree with the in crowd here. Where did I say I was going to fire Huska? You must think I work for the organization by using the term "qualified".
Old 04-20-2021, 09:57 AM   #35
ForeverFlameFan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we’re going to have to sell him while his value is still somewhat high. As others have mentioned his value is going to depreciate year by year if we continúe to go down this path. He just doesn’t have the best skating availing as others do. And, he keeps trying to fancy deke his points. To be honest, I don’t want us to lose value like we have with Gaudreau and Monahan. If the value is overpayment and a team wants to bite on it, I say we go for it.

There are multiple teams that would be looking for a shakeup:

Buffalo: Tkachuk+ for Eichel
Columbus: Domi/Laine/2021 1sts/Werenski or Jones (pipe dream but I would try)
St. Louis: Tkachuk for Kyrou/Thomas+, Tarasenko+ (he’s had an off year, but could do well with Gaudreau and Lindholm), maybe even ROR (doubtful, just made him captain and is their #1C)
Ottawa: Batherson+? 2021 OTT 1st+ (Draft Eklund and grab a d-man with our 1st)
Toronto: Nylander+? Tkachuk and Gio package for Nylander+Sandin/Liljegren++?

No idea what this offseason entails, but wouldn’t be shocked if 2/3 of Gaudreau/Monahan/Tkachuk are gone.
ForeverFlameFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:01 AM   #36
aaronkarlpatton
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
He isn't. Don't be ridiculous.
Agreed, we protect him for sure, if we need to trade him, so be it, but he is an asset.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
aaronkarlpatton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:05 AM   #37
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
It's called an opinion. I know those are not your favourite thing unless it shares yours or the masses but that really should be a positive of this board, differing opinions instead of jumping on anyone who does not agree with the in crowd here. Where did I say I was going to fire Huska? You must think I work for the organization by using the term "qualified".
OK but you realize you just attacked someone for having a different opinion.

"What a ridiculous post. How many NHL assistant coaches have you hired that you are an expert on coaching?"
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:06 AM   #38
Bonded
Franchise Player

Exp:

So Flames aren't protecting Andersson or Tkachuk now. Geez, let's take a breath haha

Last edited by Bonded; 04-20-2021 at 10:08 AM.
Bonded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #39
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macho0978 View Post
IMO what this team does will be dictated this summer. I think Gaudreau will be gone but if Tkachuk doesn't extend this summer then he needs to be moved as well. IMO building up on our prospect pool is a key right now and moving out short term assets is the best way to fix this team. Johnny and Tkachuk don't have to be traded for just picks and prospects but this team needs time to rebuild our prospect pool and if they are moved we need players that have more team control or longer term contracts coming back. Even if the players aren't as good as they are that term is needed to buy time to draft some star players.

THN lists us at 26th best prospects out of 31 teams. I hope that improves a lot after this draft but I doubt we are top 10 after this draft. I get that it's just one list but that is not a good spot to be in when your team isn't very good and you have what looks to be cap hell in 1 year. Because of this moving Tkachuk might be just as high on the priority list as moving Johnny.
With Tkachuk’s QO and Gaudreau’s expiring deal, I don’t know that we have a choice - Treliving backed himself into a corner.
Old 04-20-2021, 10:13 AM   #40
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiri Hrdina View Post
OK but you realize you just attacked someone for having a different opinion.

"What a ridiculous post. How many NHL assistant coaches have you hired that you are an expert on coaching?"
No, I pointed out it was ridiculous to say what he said and then gave an example of why it was. I didn't attack him at all, I pointed out it was absolutely silly to use my qualifications in the NHL as the basis for disagreeing. But I get it, you qualify that as an attack because of our history and the fact I don't always agree with everybody. His post was phrased as an attack, not mine yet you are defending that action because you agree with him about Huska. You do you though.

Last edited by dissentowner; 04-20-2021 at 10:16 AM.