Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-21-2020, 11:18 AM   #1
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default EA Sports NHL 21

No Xbox Series X or Playstation 5 version will be released, although the game will be playable on the new console (presumably without any sort of enhancements).

EA update regarding NHL 21

I'll update the thread when the trailer drops in August, while the game itself has moved off of the typical September release schedule to an October 15th release date.

The lack of an update for the new generation consoles, combined with how poorly the franchise launched this generation really hammers home what an afterthought the series is for EA in my eyes. It clearly just doesn't generate enough revenue to justify a bigger production team I guess...I'm still excited for it, especially with us being due for some cold, hockey-less winter months.

PSN Store

Xbox Store

Last edited by ComixZone; 08-24-2020 at 04:40 PM.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 11:21 AM   #2
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

So, NHL 22 for XsX and PS5 gets HDR and Frostbite engine finally?

... haha I'm so funny.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

The EA NHL game needs some serious new blood. The game hasn't had a real evolutionary step in the game play or experience in over half a decade now.

Every year, it's the same exact feature enhancements promised "better skating", "better puck pickups", "better defensive AI".

Yet, in the end it all just feels like some tweaks on the preset tuners, and an emphasis on making all poke checks result in a penalty regardless of angle/position.

I think my sentiment on this game can be summed up to one of the replies I saw to the NHL 21 update announcement tweet from yesterday:

NHL 21 = NHL 15.0.6
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bubbsy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 01:04 PM   #4
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Not expecting much from this game
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:06 PM   #5
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbsy View Post
The EA NHL game needs some serious new blood. The game hasn't had a real evolutionary step in the game play or experience in over half a decade now.

Every year, it's the same exact feature enhancements promised "better skating", "better puck pickups", "better defensive AI".

Yet, in the end it all just feels like some tweaks on the preset tuners, and an emphasis on making all poke checks result in a penalty regardless of angle/position.

I think my sentiment on this game can be summed up to one of the replies I saw to the NHL 21 update announcement tweet from yesterday:

NHL 21 = NHL 15.0.6
Yeah, that makes sense though. I don't think we'll ever see "huge" steps in sports games during a generation. It usually does boil down to building the core of the game year 1, then iterating until the tech allows them to build another core when the next generation rolls over.

...so hopefully NHL 22 is a really, really good base for the new gen.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ComixZone For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 01:22 PM   #6
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm probably going to pass on NHL this year - the first year I've done so since I started buying them annually in 2003 (asides from the few years I picked up 2K games).

I find the gameplay to never change, and online play comes down to who is better at exploiting the game.

I win 80-90% of the games I play online, but find the pressure of trying to play HUT (my favorite mode), keep a good roster, and win games, is bad for my mental health. I'm so much more relaxed when I'm not playing NHL.

EDIT: Also, the toxic community online. It's the reason I turned messages off on my PS4.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #7
Skaloper
First Line Centre

Exp:

For the past few years I've waited until the game is 50% off to get it and will do the same for NHL 21. I'm hoping things will change with NHL 22 but you'll have to show me it to believe it.
Skaloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 01:47 PM   #8
Inferno
Franchise Player

Exp:

I realized there's no point in buying it when there's EA Access for $30/yr. I have no problem playing the previous year's version until they add the new one to the vault. I usually never get into Franchise mode until the trade deadline anyway or if I do I start over.
Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Inferno For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2020, 01:57 PM   #9
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Yeah, that makes sense though. I don't think we'll ever see "huge" steps in sports games during a generation. It usually does boil down to building the core of the game year 1, then iterating until the tech allows them to build another core when the next generation rolls over.

...so hopefully NHL 22 is a really, really good base for the new gen.
the counter argument to this is: How many of the EA sports games made the update to a new underlying engine (ie. frostbite) during this current console generation (xbox one, ps4)?

From that perspective it is a investment/product strategy decision that has been made on the NHL series, calling for a "patch" level of delta between releases, compared to anything evolution/revolution-ary seen/attempted in the other sports games.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2020, 02:18 PM   #10
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember when 2K made a competing NHL game. Now I shudder to think what would happen if they did, given the the NBA2Kx model of microtransactions and pay-to-win.
Old 07-21-2020, 02:53 PM   #11
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
I remember when 2K made a competing NHL game. Now I shudder to think what would happen if they did, given the the NBA2Kx model of microtransactions and pay-to-win.
The best sports video game that I've played lately is MLB The Show.
It may be because I'm pretty new to the series, but all content is so accessible, and polished - I don't feel like I need to spend a time in that game.

Also, the ability to bring in prior year CAP to the new version? Yes please.
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Esoteric For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 01:29 AM   #12
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was really hoping the announcement would have been “we are halting NHL21 while continuing NHL20 roster updates” but I guess that was wishful thinking.

It is frustrating to essentially pay for the same product year after year. My biggest gripes are the lack of improvements to the clunky gameplay and how much boring micromanaging is required in be a GM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Still waiting for GM connected.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
What's the difference? NHL is basically just a vehicle for HUT, which is a slot machine.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 10:50 AM   #14
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Another EA NHL game ?

*Yawn*

I might as well copy all my previous posts complaining about issues since '08 and it would probably relevant to this version.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2020, 12:42 PM   #15
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
What's the difference? NHL is basically just a vehicle for HUT, which is a slot machine.
I can count on both hands how many times I have played HUT and have fingers left over. I play three game modes: Be-a-Pro, Exhibition, and Threes, the latter two when I have friends over. In those game modes, I can not pay to accelerate my progress, nor can I if I were to start Be a GM mode, which is another game mode I enjoyed (though admittedly play less since I find the BAP mode draws my attention).

In the NBA2K14 MyGM mode, I was able to buy VC points to train up my newly signed rookie, transforming him into an overnight LeBron James. Like, dogs**t player the night before, dominating entire teams the next. And that was the 2K14 version before MTs in gaming really got bad, I cannot imagine what those money-drunk twats at 2K are doing now.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 07-22-2020 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 09:01 PM   #16
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

No use to pre-order. Probably won’t have new rosters or a schedule for the new season until December at the earliest. By then it’s usuAlly close to half price already
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2020, 09:02 PM   #17
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

No use to pre-order. Probably won’t have new rosters or a schedule for the new season until December at the earliest. By then it’s usuAlly close to half price already
SuperMatt18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:49 PM   #18
bluejays
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, the EA sports franchise has been claiming great things for years through their developers talking a big game, but nothing really changing. It's all corporate marketing. Add in potentially a catchy trailer with an overdone rock song, and job done. Everyone high fives, job well done, thousands of suckers will purchase.
bluejays is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:53 PM   #19
agulati
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skaloper View Post
For the past few years I've waited until the game is 50% off to get it and will do the same for NHL 21. I'm hoping things will change with NHL 22 but you'll have to show me it to believe it.
I used to do that. Wait for Boxing Day (Or more lately Black Friday) but NHL 20 is the first game I didn't pick up. I probably wont even get NHL 21, and just wait for the game on the new gen.
agulati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 09:00 PM   #20
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Yeah I saw an add for the pre order when playing NHL20 and was like