Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2021, 02:06 PM   #3781
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
What is "in" these days in terms of window coverings? I've never gone blinds or window shopping in my life and now I have a whole home to do. Any cool features I should look for or stay away from?

The only thing I know is hate those cheapy aluminum blinds.
Zebras are all the rage now.
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 03:33 PM   #3782
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
What is "in" these days in terms of window coverings? I've never gone blinds or window shopping in my life and now I have a whole home to do. Any cool features I should look for or stay away from?

Can't say what is "in" but i don't like the Zebra blinds, and am likely going to be buying they honeycomb type as those apparently help with heating/cooling. Plus I like no chains/cords as I have 2 young kids.
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 05:03 PM   #3783
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Can't say what is "in" but i don't like the Zebra blinds, and am likely going to be buying they honeycomb type as those apparently help with heating/cooling. Plus I like no chains/cords as I have 2 young kids.
Yeah I think the zebra ones are really ugly.

I have the honeycomb top down/bottom up ones. They're a bit sterile looking tbh, but since I've become used to them literally every other window covering looks busy/tacky/gaudy to me.

I've got some kind of translucent ones in the living room and motorized black outs in my bedroom. The blackouts absolutely block a ton of heat from the sun. The translucent ones don't make a lick of difference in keeping a room cooler.
Sliver is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 05:31 PM   #3784
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone ever have any luck painting aluminum trim? My windows have cladding that is looking like it needs a refresh, and I am going to repaint the stucco this year, so was paint might be worth trying. I just don't want ugly brush strokes, or it to peel. There is no peeling currently, so whatever is on there bonded well.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 08:04 PM   #3785
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Sheer shades look nice but don't offer much in the way of insulation.

I've always liked wood blinds.

I got some of the zebra ones for a rental unit a few months ago, I personally wouldn't put them in my house but I've had lots of positive comments from prospective tenants, and they're definitely cheaper than the sheer shades. The blackout ones work pretty well too, not as good as good blackout cellular ones but good enough.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 08:24 AM   #3786
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great info thanks guys. We were leaning toward honeycomb blinds, but then we came across this: https://www.hunterdouglas.ca/duolite

It's a roller shade, but it's two shades-in-one. You can pull down the sheer shade, or you can pull down both for a blackout function. Anyone have any experiences with roller shades like this?

I wonder how much insulation you actually get from honeycomb, or is that just fancy marketing?
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:31 AM   #3787
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Great info thanks guys. We were leaning toward honeycomb blinds, but then we came across this: https://www.hunterdouglas.ca/duolite

It's a roller shade, but it's two shades-in-one. You can pull down the sheer shade, or you can pull down both for a blackout function. Anyone have any experiences with roller shades like this?

I wonder how much insulation you actually get from honeycomb, or is that just fancy marketing?
My honeycomb ones in my bedroom are like that. There is sheer at the top and blackout on the bottom. If I were to do it over, I'd save my money on the sheer and just have the black out. If I'm going sheer, I'd rather just have it clear, so for me it makes the sheer kind of pointless. In theory I still think I'd use the sheer a lot, but I just don't.

One other thing on the honeycomb stuff - little fibers are always shedding off the fabric making it dusty around them. It's kind of weird. Less so now two years in, but still a bit more than you'd expect or want from blinds. And mine are Hunter Douglas so not cheap knock-offs or anything.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sliver For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 12:56 PM   #3788
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
My honeycomb ones in my bedroom are like that. There is sheer at the top and blackout on the bottom. If I were to do it over, I'd save my money on the sheer and just have the black out. If I'm going sheer, I'd rather just have it clear, so for me it makes the sheer kind of pointless. In theory I still think I'd use the sheer a lot, but I just don't.

One other thing on the honeycomb stuff - little fibers are always shedding off the fabric making it dusty around them. It's kind of weird. Less so now two years in, but still a bit more than you'd expect or want from blinds. And mine are Hunter Douglas so not cheap knock-offs or anything.
Can anyone tell me what the difference is b/t Hunter Douglas and other brands?

This is coming from someone who sees zero use in brand name clothes. Are you paying for the name, or is there some tangible quality thing that makes them better?
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 01:02 PM   #3789
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:

I have the honeycomb blinds like sliver mentioned. My favourite feature, which I would name as a must have, is “top down, bottom up”. I can have half my window unobstructed (top down) and run around naked all I want. Best blind feature there is.
Scroopy Noopers is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Scroopy Noopers For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 01:09 PM   #3790
Sliver
evil of fart

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_H8_Crawford View Post
Can anyone tell me what the difference is b/t Hunter Douglas and other brands?

This is coming from someone who sees zero use in brand name clothes. Are you paying for the name, or is there some tangible quality thing that makes them better?
Good question. I'll be curious to hear other people's thoughts. We went with Hunter Douglas because of name recognition and a sale Costco was having on them.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:43 PM   #3791
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Hunter Douglas offers lifetime warranty. Makes you feel good until you try and use it on a $5 part and they tell you to #### off.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 04:41 PM   #3792
monkeyman
First Line Centre

Exp:

I've been wanted to get automated blinds that I can set to a schedule or control with my phone. Has anyone tried any of the options available for this? Last time I looked, they seemed pretty rudimentary but haven't looked into it lately.
Old 05-14-2021, 05:37 PM   #3793
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scroopy Noopers View Post
I have the honeycomb blinds like sliver mentioned. My favourite feature, which I would name as a must have, is “top down, bottom up”. I can have half my window unobstructed (top down) and run around naked all I want. Best blind feature there is.
You possibly haven’t realized but with top down blinds you’ve changed migration patterns for birds.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:58 AM   #3794
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

I need to build a 4x8 deck off our shed (mostly to roll the BBQ out on.

So uhhhh, what do I need?

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #3795
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post

This year? A lot of money. There are loads of resources on the internet to do that. I like to watch a bunch of videos, and usually mesh ideas together form what I have seen, based on my circumstances. Ground prep will depend greatly based on what is there, slope, etc. If it is off your shed, I assume it is very low to the ground? Do you have enoguh height to put footings, joists, then decking?
Old 05-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #3796
Nufy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

A second mortgage

Badum tish
Old 05-15-2021, 12:06 PM   #3797
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

We went top down/bottom up a couple years ago and they are a game changer.
Old 05-15-2021, 01:17 PM   #3798
topfiverecords
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

4 small patio blocks at corners, dig squares down a few inches, fill with crushed gravel and tamp down in layers. Set patio blocks flush to grade.

Build a 4'x8' rectangle out of ground contact lumber, not pressure treated. Infill with 'joists' @ 16" o.c.

Cut 4x4 GC post to depth of joist and an extra amount required to both level your deck but to raise the platform off of grade blocks for drainage clearance. Screw your posts into the inside corners of the frame.

Lag to shed if it's stable to resist it from moving away. If there's any slope, you could put some type of bracket from the post to the patio block to keep the front from moving.

Cover in 5/4 cedar decking. Cover the face of GC frame with a nicer material if you desire. Optional fill 4x8 area with some pea gravel before decking if you desire to reduce weed growth.

Enjoy fresh BBQ with the smell of fresh cedar.
topfiverecords is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to topfiverecords For This Useful Post:
Old 05-16-2021, 05:40 PM   #3799
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Here is a basic question. I bought some trim (shoutout to the helpful guy at Timbertown a few weeks ago) to help match some window trim. Anyway, the guys who did the window trim to 45 degree mitres. I am painting all of this and so the seams won’t be noticeable. Is there a reason to so 45 cuts where the pieces of trim meet or can I just save energy and do 90 degree cuts?
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2021, 05:58 PM   #3800
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I trimmed all mine as 90's. Is It LP Smart trim? I think the recommendation for that stuff is 90's anyway, but I could be wrong. If it is that stuff, you also want to prime and paint all cut ends. I also used an ASTM C 920 class 25 sealant between joints as well. You kind find the manual online.