Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #141
Jaybo
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Why is that Sean Monahan's job? Do other top centers fight to protect themselves?

Isn't that the whole reason this team employs Lucic, Rinaldo,etc?

It's very rare for a guy who's playing as a top line center to fight. Let's look back to 13-14 and look at the top 20 centers in league scoring over that time (Monahan is 19th).

Crosby - 2
McDavid - 0
Tavares - 0
Giroux - 1
Backstrom - 0
Mackinnon - 6
Malkin - 4
Kopitar - 0
Seguin - 1
Pavelski - 3
Scheifele - 1
Draisaitl - 0
O'Reilly - 0
Bergeron - 2
Stamkos - 4
Barkov - 0
Getzlaf - 16
Toews - 4
Monahan - 1
Johansen - 9

Damn, look at all those soft centers that don't fight. Wouldn't want any of those guys on my team.

It's ridiculous to think that the guy who is your top 6 goal scoring center, who has a history of hand/wrist injuries now, should be fighting to protect himself.
Fighting is one metric for "toughness" but would be interesting to see penalty minutes for the people on that list during the same timeframe and maybe even limited to a range of specific penalties.

Still not a perfect metric for "toughness" but things like roughing, cross-checking, slashing, etc. would at least show how engaged they are in physical play.
Jaybo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jaybo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-13-2021, 05:58 PM   #142
Macman
Self Imposed Retirement

Exp:

I also won't call Monahan soft, I actually think he's a tough player that takes a lot of knocks out there. You don't think his wrist issues aren't from him being slashed all the time? He gets hacked a lot that doesn't get called.
Hopefully his surgery will be successful and he'll be back stronger.
Macman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:09 PM   #143
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Glad he will be ready for Buffalo training camp.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 06:11 PM   #144
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
I wonder if Sutter looks at Monahan as a project and can him to being a solid 2 way forward that can score 20-25 goals.

Dare to dream. I like Mony and don't want to see him go.
Um..... I mean, he's scored over 30 three times so..
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:32 PM   #145
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Um..... I mean, he's scored over 30 three times so..
I think he’s saying a two way guy at 20-25 goals might be more valuable than a one dimensional 30 goal scorer.

Thing is, I think Monahan, with linemates that are better defensively, is already just fine in his own end. But until Lindholm came along, that wasn’t the case, and it wasn’t the case with any RW this year either.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 10:45 PM   #146
Strange Brew
Franchise Player

Exp:

With some effort, I have no doubt Monahan could get to being average defensively. Unfortunately if that means his goal scoring disappears, his utility really craters.

Calgary needs Monahan to be a 30 goal scorer who can pay attention to the details in his own zone. And a guy that can physically hold up over a full season and playoffs.

That probably doesn't get him to elite but it gets him to very, very good and a guy that could play on any contender.
Strange Brew is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Strange Brew For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:27 AM   #147
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
Fighting is one metric for "toughness" but would be interesting to see penalty minutes for the people on that list during the same timeframe and maybe even limited to a range of specific penalties.

Still not a perfect metric for "toughness" but things like roughing, cross-checking, slashing, etc. would at least show how engaged they are in physical play.
Spoiler!

Gretzky: 0.39 PIM/g

What are we even arguing about. Water is wet, the sun rises in the east and Sean Monahan is a passive hockey player.

Last edited by GreenLantern2814; 05-14-2021 at 11:59 AM.
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #148
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ Deployment has a bit to do with this. Bergeron is not only the top line C, he's the shutdown C, so he's matched against guys who draw penalties. This is the case for a guy like Backlund obviously, and even Crosby. And some of these guys fight, which shoots the PM/g way up, since it's 1.5 times a normal penalty. Some are just dirty, like Kesler, and Getzlaf and Thornton to an extent.

I'm not sure of the conclusions here though. Is Monahan less passive than Barkov or Matthews, under this analysis? Lemieux was a rougher player than Jarome?

No one is arguing Monahan is some hitting machine. People are saying he stands in in the middle of the traffic and takes abuse in order to try and score.
Old 05-14-2021, 11:45 AM   #149
timun
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Theo: 1084 GP 1840 PIM - 1.7 PIM/g (there’s a lesson for Johnny somewhere in here)
Spoiler!
timun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timun For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:48 AM   #150
Psytic
First Line Centre

Exp:

I feel like he can learn defense. Backlund wasn't that great for many years at 2 way play either. The issue is foot speed and the fact he is not effective offensively unless hes in the goalies grill which causes him to be injured every season. I dont know that those two issues can be fixed. Add age into the mix and I think he is still trending down. I like him I just dont know that he will have a long career at this rate.
Psytic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 11:52 AM   #151
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I remember seeing a stat a while ago that raised my eyebrows - Bergeron was nowhere close in playing tough minutes like Backlund was. That was a few seasons ago. I remember specifically that Bergeron had way more offensive zone starts, for instance.

I thought Monahan was decent defensively this year. That's not explaining his lower offensive stats. When he did get into position, he did things that we don't often see - miss the net, flub the shot, etc. I was positive that it was his wrists. Might have been a confidence thing. Who knows.

I do think that Monahan will take a hit offensively if he is tasked with being more focused on defence, but I also think he will adjust and improve. It is a learning curve. Maybe he won't hit 30 goals in a season, but maybe he still will.

That's why I always argue to the value of Backlund on this team. His numbers are right up there with 2nd line production, but nothing special. Put some context into his numbers, and he becomes a darling. Rationalize that by tasking him with the hardest minutes on the team, allowing for the lines above him to be deployed in easier circumstances, you start to love him.

I do, however, think that if Sutter can make both Monahan and Lindholm better defensive centres, and having a guy like Backlund still being utilized as the premier shut-down guy, this team can be incredibly difficult to play against.

Hopefully Monahan at least took a step forward in that regard this season. I think he did. We will see next season if he really has.
Calgary4LIfe is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:54 AM   #152
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psytic View Post
I feel like he can learn defense. Backlund wasn't that great for many years at 2 way play either. The issue is foot speed and the fact he is not effective offensively unless hes in the goalies grill which causes him to be injured every season. I dont know that those two issues can be fixed. Add age into the mix and I think he is still trending down. I like him I just dont know that he will have a long career at this rate.
Foot speed is a bit of an issue on defence, too though. Guys like Bergeron and Backlund aren't phsyical but they are mobile. What it might do is limit him even more offensively, since he'll feel like he can't commit too far into the offensive zone on 50-50 plays because he is slower getting back, and he will always end up being the last forward into the other zone. I think that was a bit of an issue this year.

Monahan's defensive IQ and position once in the zone is usually pretty good, and he has a decent stick and the ability to gather pucks and clear the zone.

Lindholm's defensive play doesn't detract much from his offence because he isn't slow. Monahan is a bit different.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:07 PM   #153
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by timun View Post
Spoiler!
Fair play.
Old 05-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #154
Flamesfan05
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMatt18 View Post
Why is that Sean Monahan's job? Do other top centers fight to protect themselves?

Isn't that the whole reason this team employs Lucic, Rinaldo,etc?

It's very rare for a guy who's playing as a top line center to fight. Let's look back to 13-14 and look at the top 20 centers in league scoring over that time (Monahan is 19th).

Crosby - 2
McDavid - 0
Tavares - 0
Giroux - 1
Backstrom - 0
Mackinnon - 6
Malkin - 4
Kopitar - 0
Seguin - 1
Pavelski - 3
Scheifele - 1
Draisaitl - 0
O'Reilly - 0
Bergeron - 2
Stamkos - 4
Barkov - 0
Getzlaf - 16
Toews - 4
Monahan - 1
Johansen - 9

Damn, look at all those soft centers that don't fight. Wouldn't want any of those guys on my team.

It's ridiculous to think that the guy who is your top 6 goal scoring center, who has a history of hand/wrist injuries now, should be fighting to protect himself.
You don’t have to fight to be tough

Tough means you are hard to play against
You play physical and you show up when it counts

I have a hard time saying Monahan does any of that in the last 3 yrs
Flamesfan05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamesfan05 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 12:54 PM   #155
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
^ Deployment has a bit to do with this. Bergeron is not only the top line C, he's the shutdown C, so he's matched against guys who draw penalties. This is the case for a guy like Backlund obviously, and even Crosby. And some of these guys fight, which shoots the PM/g way up, since it's 1.5 times a normal penalty. Some are just dirty, like Kesler, and Getzlaf and Thornton to an extent.

I'm not sure of the conclusions here though. Is Monahan less passive than Barkov or Matthews, under this analysis? Lemieux was a rougher player than Jarome?

No one is arguing Monahan is some hitting machine. People are saying he stands in in the middle of the traffic and takes abuse in order to try and score.
Do the PIMs mean anything in particular? No.

They’re another example of Monahan not doing the things every other top player at his position does, with very rare exceptions.

If you’re in the thick of the game, in the #1C role, you take penalties. With very rare exceptions - Kopitar is at 0.27 PIM/game and he’s got over 1100.

Even when you’re as disciplined and skate as well as Bergeron or Pavelski. #### happens in the course of a game.

Any player getting frontline centre minutes better be producing at an elite level to justify why he’s above mucking it up with his teammates.

In the case of Matthews, the guy has either scored 40 or been on pace for 40 five years in a row. It’s understandable. But even Matthews is probably going to have to toughen up for Toronto to get where they want to go. He may need to score a few less goals and take a few more licks to secure the victories. Everyone goes through that.

Barkov is dominating in all other areas of the game and leading the Panthers to the playoffs.

Is Monahan a repaired hip away from dominating the game?
Old 05-14-2021, 02:39 PM   #156
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Do the PIMs mean anything in particular? No.

They’re another example of Monahan not doing the things every other top player at his position does, with very rare exceptions.

If you’re in the thick of the game, in the #1C role, you take penalties. With very rare exceptions - Kopitar is at 0.27 PIM/game and he’s got over 1100.

Even when you’re as disciplined and skate as well as Bergeron or Pavelski. #### happens in the course of a game.

Any player getting frontline centre minutes better be producing at an elite level to justify why he’s above mucking it up with his teammates.

In the case of Matthews, the guy has either scored 40 or been on pace for 40 five years in a row. It’s understandable. But even Matthews is probably going to have to toughen up for Toronto to get where they want to go. He may need to score a few less goals and take a few more licks to secure the victories. Everyone goes through that.

Barkov is dominating in all other areas of the game and leading the Panthers to the playoffs.

Is Monahan a repaired hip away from dominating the game?
You've moved the goalposts from "is Monahan soft" to "is Monahan a top 1C". All anyone has really been saying is that Monahan has gone to tough areas, taken abuse, and been called soft for doing so because he doesn't fight and take a bunch of penalties.

Is he highly effective is a completely different discussion.
Old 05-14-2021, 03:24 PM   #157
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
You've moved the goalposts from "is Monahan soft" to "is Monahan a top 1C". All anyone has really been saying is that Monahan has gone to tough areas, taken abuse, and been called soft for doing so because he doesn't fight and take a bunch of penalties.

Is he highly effective is a completely different discussion.
Monahan is highly tough by the standards of normal human beings.

He is soft by the standard of hockey players, and he is especially soft for his role.

If he was tough in hockey terms, he’d give as good as he got, and that would show up somewhere.

PIMs, fights, hits, somewhere. But it doesn’t.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:06 PM   #158
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan is highly tough by the standards of normal human beings.

He is soft by the standard of hockey players, and he is especially soft for his role.

If he was tough in hockey terms, he’d give as good as he got, and that would show up somewhere.

PIMs, fights, hits, somewhere. But it doesn’t.
Also not tough by virtue of a lack of pms - Mark Giordano, Chris Tanev, Nordstrom, Stone.

Also not tough by virtue of hits: wonder centre Elias Lindholm (6 more hits than Monahan in 3 more games) and everyone else on the Flames except Lucic, Tkachuk, Ritchie, Nordstrom and Dube.

Tough as in taking abused though - he's probably slashed as much as Gaudreau, only with less fan outrage, and takes a lot more checks and crosschecks in the slot.
Old 05-14-2021, 04:20 PM   #159
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

The guy looked really good early in the season. Clearly there was an injury he was playing through, severe enough to require surgery. And here is a discussion on his toughness

Musing over how we decide which players get a pass for how they perform when playing with documented injuries
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 04:25 PM   #160
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

His game, and his value to the team, is scoring goals. Full stop.
He was never thought of as an extremely high end skater, playmaker or defensive guru.
So, this year was pretty terrible. Not enough goals and I doubt anyone would argue that.
However, I don't think we need to write him off completely. It has been 2 really weird years and a number of tough injuries. I think he still has plenty of value as a goal scoring centre, so if you can extract value, great. I just wouldn't give him away, which is what some seem to be advocating.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Fighting Banana Slug is offline   Reply With Quote