Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-09-2021, 05:07 PM   #2141
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by delayedreflex View Post
I hope that Bennett's performance somehow raises the trade value of other Flames players. Perhaps other GM's could think that if Bennett could do so much better once free of the Flames, other players might as well and might pay a little more in a trade. Though that's probably just wishful thinking :P

Perhaps other GM’s will think that Calgary will trade talent for cents on the dollar and expect huge bargains.

Both statements are equally unlikely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:14 PM   #2142
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GioforPM View Post
Hartley also played Bennett on wing which was a huge debate here.
And he had 18 goals and 18 assists as a rookie. No bad at all.

I think people make too much fuss about the center/wing issue. A good center should be able to adjust from center to wing. The other thing is that Bennett played on the wing a lot in junior. It wasn't until his last season in the OHL that he played center more than on the wing, but he still did both.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:18 PM   #2143
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlamesAddiction View Post
And he had 18 goals and 18 assists as a rookie. No bad at all.

I think people make too much fuss about the center/wing issue. A good center should be able to adjust from center to wing. The other thing is that Bennett played on the wing a lot in junior. It wasn't until his last season in the OHL that he played center more than on the wing, but he still did both.
I think what most people can now agree on is that the team just didn’t give him enough rope. It didn’t help that all the linemates turned out to be duds.

Though I’m told that a higher amount of goals and slightly less points is “awful” for a rookie.
GioforPM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:30 PM   #2144
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Monahan started as a 2nd-3rd line winger and worked his way up the lineup. But in what world was he awful as a rookie?
As a center, he, with regularity got absolutely shelled.

Goals are not really a good measure of how a center is playing.

Quote:
The unfortunate thing is, I think they were all trying to put Bennett with good players. I mean, Brouwer, Janko, Neal, Jagr - those guys were all supposed to be good. On paper they were the right style for him - big, physical linemates with hands.
I disagree. On paper, they were the wrong style for him because it's just a poor assessment of his skillset. It's a silly "he's physical so let's play him with big bodies" strategy.

As a rookie, this was a play he made with two non-physical, speedy wingers that exemplifies the kind of players that, ON PAPER, he should have been playing with:

lo and behold, that's exactly the style of wingers he's had in Florida.

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 05:37 PM   #2145
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Raymond was speedy I guess. Not especially skilled. But Neal, Brouwer and Janko were supposed to score. They were supposed to at least have hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to GioforPM For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 05:41 PM   #2146
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Raymond was speedy I guess. Not especially skilled. But Neal, Brouwer and Janko were supposed to score. They were supposed to at least have hands.
Jankowski had hands. But the Flames botched that by putting him at center (where he was unable to execute quick breakouts and rush the puck) and Bennett at wing (taking away all his strengths) - putting both players in a position to fail.

I firmly believe a Jankowski (as a W) - Bennett (as a C) - Czarnik line would have been absolutely dominant in those 2019 playoffs and played a completely different style from Bennett - Jankowski - Neal

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 05:48 PM   #2147
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
Jankowski had hands. But the Flames botched that by putting him at center (where he was unable to execute quick breakouts and rush the puck) and Bennett at wing (taking away all his strengths) - putting both players in a position to fail.

I firmly believe a Jankowski (as a W) - Bennett (as a C) - Czarnik line would have been absolutely dominant in those 2019 playoffs and played a completely different style from Bennett - Jankowski - Neal
I can’t agree on Czarnik. One of those skilled lower league guys who just wasn’t a big leaguer. I wonder if Baertschi and Bennett would have worked though. Or Byron. Or Poirier if he’d worked through things earlier.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:51 PM   #2148
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't disagree with what your saying, I do feel the Flames looked for the wrong type of players. Bennett plays better with guys who are skilled but also play with speed. They basically downgraded rather than pick up guys that could complement Bennett. Brouwer was lazy. like Neal who came out of shape. Janko just not a good fit! I think the Flames just didn't know what they had in Bennett and what to do with it. Now he has an experienced coach who knows exactly what to do. Heck I think they, Florida might be scouting other teams castoffs and gems because they know what to do with them! BT and Flames have tried this but seem to picking up the wrong players!
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:00 PM   #2149
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I don't disagree with what your saying, I do feel the Flames looked for the wrong type of players. Bennett plays better with guys who are skilled but also play with speed. They basically downgraded rather than pick up guys that could complement Bennett. Brouwer was lazy. like Neal who came out of shape. Janko just not a good fit! I think the Flames just didn't know what they had in Bennett and what to do with it. Now he has an experienced coach who knows exactly what to do. Heck I think they, Florida might be scouting other teams castoffs and gems because they know what to do with them! BT and Flames have tried this but seem to picking up the wrong players!
Those descriptions are all true (I don’t know about Lazy for Brouwer, but certainly he was slow). I just think they didn’t know how bad they were. They looked at stats.

Speed has always been lacking on this team. This team right now has one, or maybe two guys up front who are fast (and one of those has zero offensive chops) and a couple more who have OK speed (but not anything special).
Old 05-09-2021, 06:40 PM   #2150
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazzlinDino View Post
I can confirm, this is Zito's M.O. However, they know it's a game of odds. Most of the guys aren't going to work out, but they still target high pedigree players who haven't worked out in previous situations. Part of that is relying on Coach Q to get something out of them, but the other part is just assessing talent and skillset. You buy low often enough, you'll get guys that pop, and do so at a reasonable price point, which is always important in Florida.

There is method to Bill's madness. I've been enjoying it so far. The real test will come when they have to re-sign some of these guys to contracts.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 05-09-2021, 08:20 PM   #2151
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarongavey View Post
I do not think I ever saw Bennett play as a second line center on the Flames. I do not think I would have been as reticent to try it as the Flames were though. Theoretically there is a reason you drafted the guy 4th overall. I cannot think of another forward picked in the top 5 who had less of an opportunity playing top 2 line minutes than Sam did.
This is a great question worthy of some research. May dig later. Off the top of my head:

5OA Wheeler
2OA J Staal
2OA N Patrick?

These guys were probably more legitimately depthed out. But I bet they had more special teams time and more TOI in general.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
I can confirm, this is Zito's M.O. However, they know it's a game of odds. Most of the guys aren't going to work out, but they still target high pedigree players who haven't worked out in previous situations. Part of that is relying on Coach Q to get something out of them, but the other part is just assessing talent and skillset. You buy low often enough, you'll get guys that pop, and do so at a reasonable price point, which is always important in Florida.

There is method to Bill's madness. I've been enjoying it so far. The real test will come when they have to re-sign some of these guys to contracts.
A big thing with this is how it legitimately opens slots up and down the lineup to be seized. I imagine it seemed legitimately true to everyone in camp that there were 4 spots up for grab in the top 6 with Barkov and Huberdeau (and 7 spots in top 9).

Vatrano, Connolly, and Acciari were the only every day forwards returning, all likely to fill slots in the top 9, but as we saw with Connolly, not guaranteed.

Compared to CGY, this season:

Gaudreau-Monahan-??
Tkachuk-??-Mangi
Lucic-??-Dubé

With Lindholm and Backlund certain to fill two of those ?? slots. Not much wiggle room for Bennett, Ryan, or the new guys to make a dent.

Silly for a team with such little success when it matters to come into each season with most of the lineup written in pen.
powderjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to powderjunkie For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2021, 10:12 PM   #2152
Brick
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Sam didn't play last game.
Brick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 12:04 AM   #2153
FanIn80
GOAT!

Exp:

Bad news: Looks like Sam Bennett is set to leave the team at the end of the 2021 season.
FanIn80 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to FanIn80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 09:45 AM   #2154
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

https://twitter.com/user/status/1393210377043791873
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:54 AM   #2155
scotty2hotty
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Still can’t believe that guy is only 18 years old.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:00 AM   #2156
bdubbs
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
Embarrassing that Sam was treated this way by our incompetent coaching.
bdubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #2157
I_H8_Crawford
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubbs View Post
Embarrassing that Sam was treated this way by our incompetent coaching.
Obviously it's Bennett's fault - he didn't process the process effectively enough. If he had, he would have seen the genius of Ward and Tre.

This process will produce a winner - take it to the bank!
I_H8_Crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to I_H8_Crawford For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 10:10 AM   #2158
CalgaryFan1988
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Compared to CGY, this season:

Gaudreau-Monahan-??
Tkachuk-??-Mangi
Lucic-??-Dubé

With Lindholm and Backlund certain to fill two of those ?? slots. Not much wiggle room for Bennett, Ryan, or the new guys to make a dent.

Silly for a team with such little success when it matters to come into each season with most of the lineup written in pen.
Definitely silly to see so many players slotted in repeatedly over their heads.

Lucic - Dubé - Mangiapane would be a decent 3rd line.

My opinion is that if they traded for Lindholm with plans of playing him center, then they should have traded Bennett or Backlund immediately for RW help (and signed another via FA). 2 Glaring holes at RW on our top 2 lines (recipe for success!)
CalgaryFan1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CalgaryFan1988 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:08 AM   #2159
MrMike
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalgaryFan1988 View Post
Definitely silly to see so many players slotted in repeatedly over their heads.

Lucic - Dubé - Mangiapane would be a decent 3rd line.

My opinion is that if they traded for Lindholm with plans of playing him center, then they should have traded Bennett or Backlund immediately for RW help (and signed another via FA). 2 Glaring holes at RW on our top 2 lines (recipe for success!)
That is why they signed Neal, and were using Bennett as a winger.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMike For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2021, 11:31 AM   #2160
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:
Flames

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
That is why they signed Neal, and were using Bennett as a winger.
This. If Treliving had judged Neal better and gotten a different RW (and had judged Hamonic better and gotten a better RD - like say, Tanev for example), the team could have been running:

Gaudreau-Monahan-good RW at Neal's price/age like a Perron or Oshie
Tkachuk-Lindholm-Mangiapane
Bennett-Backlund-Dube (or trade Backlund and use Bennett at C)
Jankowski-Ryan-Frolik/Hathaway

Gio-Brodie
Hanifin-Tanev
Valimaki-Stone