Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-03-2021, 03:29 PM   #921
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

I spend a lot on whisky, mostly scotch - but probably a lot less than the O&G bros. I actually did inventory this past weekend, and have 72 bottles, about 30 unopened, some - like a Yamazaki 18 I bought years ago, before the price got crazy - I'm just saving. For someone who only burns though a glass or two on the weekend, I need to stop collecting LOL.

You get to know people, and they give you the inside track on the good stuff.

I've had the 23 probably a dozen times over the years - work parties, etc. Know a small, amazing place in London that charges their normal mark up for the 10, 15 & 23 - the latter only costing 17 pounds for a dram. Hope they survive the lockdown.

Pappy is overhyped, but it's a very unique experience, that I'd hope people would try if they weren't paying out the nose for it. I'd choose Eagle Rare 17, William Larue or Elijah Craig 23 if I had to choose a bourbon over any Pappy. Depending on the batch, you could convince me an E.H Taylor is better.

And hell, over all of those I'd pick the Redbreast 21. Completely different, but the quality and taste are undeniable in my opinion.

Another winner that's a tad more expensive is the Longrow 21. Those are my 1-2 whiskies of the past 5 years - and bottles I only would only share with a great friend or a spouse if I were to settle down. (Maybe a really good lay? I'd be tempted...)

Edit: I was at a bar during SXSW 2018 - and got to try Redbreast 21 and Pappy 23 head-to-head because I made a comment to the group I was with that Redbreast was better. The vendor that took us to the bar bought the bottles of each for the table and we had a taste off. I stuck with my original claim.

Last edited by MRCboicgy; 05-03-2021 at 03:48 PM.
MRCboicgy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 04:00 PM   #922
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pappy 23 is good, 20 is better though... I still have some 20 in my bar that I've saved, maybe 10oz left. 16 was the rarest. Either way, it's well worth the 200 bucks it used to cost for a bottle, but not whatever it goes for now if you can get ahold of it.

Edit: I disagree about the Redbreast 21. Not that it isn't good but I'll take either Pappy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 04:14 PM   #923
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

When it gets to this level where it's basically splitting hairs but those who can tell the difference can objectively explain their subjective experience, I find the conversation very interesting.

At a lower level, it's kinda like someone who wants to get into whiskey and scotch and asks about the best one. Usually they are taken aback when I introduce them to the whiskey flavour chart instead of giving them an immediate suggestion.

I also let them taste different scotches and whiskey from different quadrants that I have on hand. I kinda miss being able to enjoy spirits this way due to the pandemic.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 04:27 PM   #924
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

I just miss sitting around a fire with friends killing a bottle of something that's good, but not so good that you give it a second thought when you finish the whole thing.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #925
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
When it gets to this level where it's basically splitting hairs but those who can tell the difference can objectively explain their subjective experience, I find the conversation very interesting.

At a lower level, it's kinda like someone who wants to get into whiskey and scotch and asks about the best one. Usually they are taken aback when I introduce them to the whiskey flavour chart instead of giving them an immediate suggestion.

I also let them taste different scotches and whiskey from different quadrants that I have on hand. I kinda miss being able to enjoy spirits this way due to the pandemic.

Exactly. I hate anything peated - Springbank notwithstanding (but it's not peated, more funky) - so I won't recommend it to anyone, but will try and find what they like by asking questions, i.e. if you like the caramel of bourbon, then Tamdhu 15 is probably good choice.
I have an Ardbeg 2018 Grooves Committee release which is purely for entertaining people (back when people actually came over) who indicate they like peat.
The Following User Says Thank You to MRCboicgy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2021, 08:29 PM   #926
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
I just miss sitting around a fire with friends killing a bottle of something that's good, but not so good that you give it a second thought when you finish the whole thing.

To me its weird, because sitting around a fire drinking liquor is more a bourbon thing to me.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 12:11 PM   #927
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
Exactly. I hate anything peated - Springbank notwithstanding (but it's not peated, more funky) - so I won't recommend it to anyone, but will try and find what they like by asking questions, i.e. if you like the caramel of bourbon, then Tamdhu 15 is probably good choice.
I have an Ardbeg 2018 Grooves Committee release which is purely for entertaining people (back when people actually came over) who indicate they like peat.
What's the "funky" flavour profile of Springbank?

The reviews I quickly perused for the 15/18 years state leather and barnyard earthy tastes (straw, rope, clay etc.) that devolves into a umami saltiness. It sounds really interesting TBH, but I just recently used up my spirits quota for the next little bit.

I nabbed an Empress gin which is awesome for making a beautiful purple gin and tonic granita which was my first quota usage. I was talking about my curiosity about Red Breast whiskey and my wife bought me a sherry finish Lustau edition which used up our spirits quota for the next little bit as well.

The first few days of cracking open the bottle, the alcohol was a bit harsher than expected, but after about 2-3 days of it mellowing out and perhaps me getting used to it, it's very nice. It's a bit more refined than the Irish whiskey that I am used to, but not in a bad way. More like you'd get smacked for gulping it rather than sipping it level of refined.

Tamdhu is good for the caramel, but another I find is a really good entry level Scotch for those with a tepid interest due to bad recommendations in the past is a Balvenie Carribean Cask. I'm also quite enjoy bourbon cask finish whiskeys, but those are often uncomfortably more than I prefer to pay (would rather try other things at those price points).
Old 05-11-2021, 07:09 PM   #928
Harry Lime
Franchise Player

Exp:

The unusual flavour in Springbank could be a touch of salt/brine as a result of where the distillery is situated.

I tried to find out where this years 23 year Speyside was sourced for Costco, but most threads that I tugged on ended with Alexander Murray, who themselves source single malts... so that one is still a mystery to me. I did discover that it is barrel strength, so pretty hot, and being a light speyside that kills some of the delicacy you should be getting through the age and sherry. Just a weird choice to have heavy alcohol. I'll probably end up passing on this years expression.

Empress gin is very good. I thought that it would be a marketing thing with the purple turning to pink in soda/gin, but the flavour actually stands up.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:17 PM   #929
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Lime View Post
The unusual flavour in Springbank could be a touch of salt/brine as a result of where the distillery is situated.

I tried to find out where this years 23 year Speyside was sourced for Costco, but most threads that I tugged on ended with Alexander Murray, who themselves source single malts... so that one is still a mystery to me. I did discover that it is barrel strength, so pretty hot, and being a light speyside that kills some of the delicacy you should be getting through the age and sherry. Just a weird choice to have heavy alcohol. I'll probably end up passing on this years expression.

Empress gin is very good. I thought that it would be a marketing thing with the purple turning to pink in soda/gin, but the flavour actually stands up.
https://www.totalwine.com/spirits/sc...yr/p/180247750

I wonder if this could this be a hint? Flavor profile wise, it sounds similar.

https://www.lovescotch.com/p/alexand...es-23-year-old

Hmm there's this one as well that others were guessing. Many others have guessed Benrinnes as the one sold in Costco.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-11-2021 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-11-2021, 09:43 PM   #930
MRCboicgy
Referee

Exp:

Quote:
What's the "funky" flavour profile of Springbank?

The reviews I quickly perused for the 15/18 years state leather and barnyard earthy tastes (straw, rope, clay etc.) that devolves into a umami saltiness. It sounds really interesting TBH, but I just recently used up my spirits quota for the next little bit.

Well, I'd describe it as earthy and directionally rubbery (but in a good way). The odd special release 11-15 yr Longrows can be definitely sulfuric, as can some single cask bottlings of Springbank too.
If you expect funk rather than smoke, you'll be fine.

The 15 is a cabinet staple. I can't think of a time since 2013 where I haven't had a bottle on hand. The consistent quality is still worth the increasing cost.
I would say the 12y cask strength is a great one to get first because it's a lower price point, each batch is unique, and the higher proof will let you add water to get it to where you like it. The downside is the additional work to let it breathe and play around with dilution.
Most 12 have a touch more funk than the 15.
Old 05-18-2021, 11:17 PM   #931
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleK View Post
Saw this at East Hills Costco.
I purchased this today from Deerfoot Meadows Costco because well, it's a 23 year old for $100. You just have to give it a shot.

To be fair, I dislike Speysides. I don't like Macallan and Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. I find them to all taste too much like spicy candy.

This is much the same. It tastes like a cherry Halls mixed with cinnamon hearts.

Perhaps I am being much too hard on it, but I also read that they were only in Sherry casks for a few months (whether at the beginning or the end, it's not clear) and my suspicion is that its a distillation that was put into storage simply because it didn't have the right balance to meet other single malt standards.

For those who like a fruity, sherry speyside, definitely give this a try. It is quite drinkable and kind of reminds me of an old fashioned when taken neat.

I'll probably keep this around for the novelty or for friends but it won't be one I'm reaching for. I'd gladly trade this for a non-age statement Islay like Scarabus which is still my all time favorite.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 09:21 AM   #932
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I purchased this today from Deerfoot Meadows Costco because well, it's a 23 year old for $100. You just have to give it a shot.

To be fair, I dislike Speysides. I don't like Macallan and Glenlivet or Glenfiddich. I find them to all taste too much like spicy candy.

This is much the same. It tastes like a cherry Halls mixed with cinnamon hearts.

Perhaps I am being much too hard on it, but I also read that they were only in Sherry casks for a few months (whether at the beginning or the end, it's not clear) and my suspicion is that its a distillation that was put into storage simply because it didn't have the right balance to meet other single malt standards.

For those who like a fruity, sherry speyside, definitely give this a try. It is quite drinkable and kind of reminds me of an old fashioned when taken neat.

I'll probably keep this around for the novelty or for friends but it won't be one I'm reaching for. I'd gladly trade this for a non-age statement Islay like Scarabus which is still my all time favorite.
Now I'm curious to know what an old fashioned with Kirkland 23 tastes like...
Old 05-19-2021, 09:54 AM   #933
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Now I'm curious to know what an old fashioned with Kirkland 23 tastes like...
Probably delicious to be honest! Or even an Manhattan.

This episode of How to Drink ranked Alberta Premium Cask strength as the overall best Rye to add to a Manhattan.

Old 05-19-2021, 10:42 AM   #934
ComixZone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Been enjoying Bruichladdich's Bere Barley (2008). I don't enjoy it as much as the Classic Laddie, but quite good.
ComixZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2021, 07:28 PM   #935
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I'm literally at Costco right now and was going to pull the trigger, but after reading this it sounds delightfully revolting.

Hard pass.
Old 05-20-2021, 06:36 AM   #936
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Probably delicious to be honest! Or even an Manhattan.

This episode of How to Drink ranked Alberta Premium Cask strength as the overall best Rye to add to a Manhattan.

Oh Damn, I'm getting nostalgia about the smoked Manhattan I had at Barchef in Toronto. So delicious, so smooth. So Damn pricey.

I have that Alberta premium cask strength in the vid too... I should get a smoke infuser, experiment with bitters and give making smoked cheeses, Manhattans and old fashioned a go this summer.

Last edited by DoubleF; 05-20-2021 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-28-2021, 10:44 AM   #937
NuclearFart
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRCboicgy View Post
I spend a lot on whisky, mostly scotch - but probably a lot less than the O&G bros. I actually did inventory this past weekend, and have 72 bottles, about 30 unopened, some - like a Yamazaki 18 I bought years ago, before the price got crazy - I'm just saving. For someone who only burns though a glass or two on the weekend, I need to stop collecting LOL.

You get to know people, and they give you the inside track on the good stuff.

I've had the 23 probably a dozen times over the years - work parties, etc. Know a small, amazing place in London that charges their normal mark up for the 10, 15 & 23 - the latter only costing 17 pounds for a dram. Hope they survive the lockdown.

Pappy is overhyped, but it's a very unique experience, that I'd hope people would try if they weren't paying out the nose for it. I'd choose Eagle Rare 17, William Larue or Elijah Craig 23 if I had to choose a bourbon over any Pappy. Depending on the batch, you could convince me an E.H Taylor is better.

And hell, over all of those I'd pick the Redbreast 21. Completely different, but the quality and taste are undeniable in my opinion.

Another winner that's a tad more expensive is the Longrow 21. Those are my 1-2 whiskies of the past 5 years - and bottles I only would only share with a great friend or a spouse if I were to settle down. (Maybe a really good lay? I'd be tempted...)

Edit: I was at a bar during SXSW 2018 - and got to try Redbreast 21 and Pappy 23 head-to-head because I made a comment to the group I was with that Redbreast was better. The vendor that took us to the bar bought the bottles of each for the table and we had a taste off. I stuck with my original claim.
If anybody is looking in Calgary, the have a bottle of Pappy 15 at Hy's. I wasn't too impressed for the price point to be honest. It could have been the diasppointing taint of unattainable hype. I was also a couple drinks in and any special nuance likely went unnnoticed.
NuclearFart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NuclearFart For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 04:31 AM   #938
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

I bought a smoke infuser and I've been experimenting with making smoked old fashioned.

I'm currently doing my mixes based on Applewood smoke with an apple cider simple syrup and Angostura bitters. It's tasty and even the wife likes it.

Most old fashioned recipes are kinda citrusy though, so I'm not sure how I'd want to tweak the smoke and syrup if I wanted to accommodate that. Most of my early experiments were absolute failures. The balance was way off and the bitters tasted kinda weird with the citrus added in.
Old 09-24-2021, 01:23 PM   #939
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Costco now has a Kirkland no age statement $60 Islay Single Malt. I like this significantly better than the 23 year old Kirkland Speyside from last year.

To me, it tastes very similar to a Ardbeg, a lighter Laphroig, and Laguvulin 12. Rumor is it's a Caol Ila or Bunnahabhain.

I may have to grab a few extra bottles while they last.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hack&Lube For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2021, 10:50 AM   #940
Domoic
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Help with looking for the following at any Calgary-area liquor store:

1. Canadian Club Chronicles 44

2. Johnnie Walker Blue New York Skyline Special Edition

Or advice on who to call who MAY have them? (i.e. a higher end shop in Calgary)

Thanks
Domoic is offline   Reply With Quote