Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #1001
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty81 View Post
I think they should do it... will be entertaining as heck and I have no issues with them trying to make money.

I don't think the winner should get the Stanley Cup and I don't think they should ever do a 24 team format again as it is nothing more than a cash grab under ordinary circumstance. This is not a proper SCFs based on a full regular season. Hand out a trophy but maintain integrity of the cup. Seeing the oilers win the cup after a mini tourney with them having home ice for the every game and no fans watching would probably finish me on hockey.

Also even now I think 24 teams is BS. Arbitrarily drawing the line at 24 is no better than drawing it at 16. Either way it is a line in the sand so why 24? Just go with 16 and get rid of the byes and any other advantages like host cities being NHL sites. Neutral site 16 teams. Pick a city whose team didnt qualify so u have an NHL rink but nobody sleeping in their own beds and getting their own dressing room boards and ice.

Flames get screwed here imo. They made the playoffs based on games played and winning % and points just like the top 8 but they have to play a an extra round and a team in the jets that didn't qualify based on games played

Based on winning %, the Flames were 9th in the West.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2020, 01:30 AM   #1002
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cobra View Post
Based on winning %, the Flames were 9th in the West.

no the weren't, Flames are 8th based on winning percentage and that is were they are potentially being placed...and lets be honest the Canucks were done without Markstrom the Flames were going to be a divisional seed
Old 05-23-2020, 07:03 AM   #1003
savemedrzaius
Help, save, whatever.

Exp:

Same thing with the Leafs. They finished 8th in points percentage. Guess them the breaks.
Old 05-23-2020, 07:40 AM   #1004
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
no the weren't, Flames are 8th based on winning percentage and that is were they are potentially being placed...and lets be honest the Canucks were done without Markstrom the Flames were going to be a divisional seed

Both Nashville and Vancouver have better winning %.

Vancouver would then rank 3rd in the Pacific, with Winnipeg and Nashville being the wild card teams.

Old 05-23-2020, 07:53 AM   #1005
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Vancouver would then rank 3rd in the Pacific, with Winnipeg and Nashville being the wild card teams.
The Flames have a better points percentage than the Jets. If things resume using the current plan, the Flames will be the 8th seed and the Jets will be 9th.

Nashville will be 6th and Vancouver 7th.
Old 05-23-2020, 08:01 AM   #1006
dissentowner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemedrzaius View Post
Same thing with the Leafs. They finished 8th in points percentage. Guess them the breaks.
They got damn lucky! Pretty sure playing Columbus instead of TB is a pretty damn good break.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:24 AM   #1007
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think the hub city idea is crap. Not fair that Edmonton gets to play every game at home where they know the arena, and every aspect of the playing surface. Just cancel the season already.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
The Following User Says Thank You to The Familia For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #1008
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

They are all effectively tied.

The difference is that the Flames have played 1 more game (and Jets one more than them). If the Preds or Canucks played the extra game(s) to even things up:

~50% chance they win and achieve a better pt %
~11% chance they OT/SO L and achieve identical pt%
~39% chance they lose and achieve a worse pt %

Through 69 games, the Flames had a better pt% than both teams, whether you delete the 1st game of the season or the most recent.

And of course, this is all based on an imperfectly balanced schedule (even less so than the current 82 gp which is imperfect to begin with).

They are effectively tied.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:42 AM   #1009
Flames2007FIRE IT UP
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To me the format is the easiest thing to sort out. The NHL missed a season because of money. They miss on the Olympics because of money so has compensation been sorted out? The pie of money is considerably smaller - the owners and players are going to take a massive pay cut and they need to figure out how they are going to divide that pay cut.

Have they sorted out compensation for the re-start of the season/start of the playoffs? Are players going to ask for more compensation as they theoretically would be quarantined?

This is a good article on playoff pay:
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-pla...-compensation/
Stanley cup winners gets $200 000 for their efforts.

Have they agreed on a hub cities approach?

Have they sorted out training camp length and compensation?

Have they sorted out what happens when a player tests positive?

Are we looking at 40% escrow next season?

Cap for next season and what happens with likely lower revenue would be good to know.

To me the above is far more consequential to the actual return of hockey vs 16 vs 24 vs 31 teams. If this took months to complete that worries me about them actually figuring out the money side of the equation. I hope with the revenue tied to player compensation it makes it easier as that is a great foundation of a framework but the players did not sign up to be quarantined away from family in some random city and will ask for compensation but the pot of money is not anywhere near what it was.

Given the history of the NHL and PA struggling to divide money I am still fairly skeptical that we see them come to a comprehensive agreement.

Side note if they go 'hub cities' which seems like the only possibility I would prefer to see 1-16 or 1-24 (honestly it makes little difference to me) seeding and scrap the conferences. No idea what the bracket looks like but the eye test it looked like TBL and Boston were the best teams in the league last year. Imagine a Bos vs TBL, Pens v Flyers or all western Canadian final. This would never normally happen but with hub cities I would scrap the east vs west thing for a tournament like this.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:43 AM   #1010
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
I think the hub city idea is crap. Not fair that Edmonton gets to play every game at home where they know the arena, and every aspect of the playing surface. Just cancel the season already.
Don't worry, they have no idea what that surface is like this time of year
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Thunderball For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:49 AM   #1011
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
That's what I'm afraid of. The Oilers seem to alway have a hot start and the Flames sputter out of the gate. This will basically be a new season.
Good! Because last season for the Flames was a nightmare. Between Monahan and Gaudreau having off years, Giordano and Hamonic getting hurt. Valimaki not even suiting up, the Peters mess and then of course a pandemic ... we should put it behind us.

Maybe Gaudreau et al have forgotten they are struggling!

Meanwhile "last year" pretty much everything went right in Edmonton. New year fits fine to me!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:55 AM   #1012
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
Yeah, I would be because the Blues would have most likely kicked the Flames ass if things didn't stop. Getting a few lucky wins in a modified playoffs doesnt mean much.

Its okay, you can continue to stick your head in the GMs butt and appreciate mediocrity. Why am I not surprised.
Why is being happy the team won having your head up a GMs butt? That's quite a leap.

Hockey fans generally hope the team they follow win. You're the aberration here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 09:57 AM   #1013
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragomir View Post
Yeah I feel bad for people who paid to see the regular season and got invested only to have it be meaningless at the end of the day. That’s why I believe the NHL will lose fans in the long run with this short-term mentality, I know a lot of fans in Europe view this as Mickey Mouse move by the league as well.
So hockey fans will stop watching hockey because......the NHL is playing hockey?

I certainly have reservations about them being able to pull this off logistically, but it sure as hell isnt because they are trying to finish the season in a fair and equitable fashion as they can.

I think the biggest fear is if they get half way through it all and are forced to shut it down because of illness to one of the clubs. That would be a seriously bad look.
Old 05-23-2020, 09:59 AM   #1014
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Flames better on the road anyway.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:03 AM   #1015
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Also worth mentioning is the fact that Chicago(12th place) would get an easier matchup with Edmonton than we would with Winnipeg. It’s a big joke and they risk losing more fans in the long run.

I’m not saying to scrap the season I just want the original 16 team format for the playoffs. If you didn’t make the cut by points% then you didn’t make the cut...
I like poking Edmonton as much as the next guy, but what formula are you using to have Chicago getting a better matchup? Edmonton has three more points, and a .585 to .563 edge in points percentage over Winnipeg.

Not to mention the Jets have been a nightmare five on five, and bailed out by Hallebucyk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2020, 10:04 AM   #1016
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
Why is being happy the team won having your head up a GMs butt? That's quite a leap.

Hockey fans generally hope the team they follow win. You're the aberration here.
I never said its wrong to be happy (I will be cheering too). I said the team crapped the bed for most of this season and last playoffs.. some random playoff wins shouldn't be the reason the team decides to keep the same core in a modified playoffs. If they win the cup, then sure. If not, make the necessary moves many think are needed to win a championship.

Imo, taking out St.Louis would be due to the 2 month break moreso than the Flames being the better team. Lets be real, they would have been demolished 2 months ago.

If people are going to look at 1 playoffs series win against the Blues and decide this core is ready and should stay for another year.. then I think thats continuing to appreciate mediocrity that many are used to with this team.

Just my opinion.. didn't say anyone needs to agree.

Last edited by keenan87; 05-23-2020 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:14 AM   #1017
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
You are aware that every top footy team plays in 3 simultaneous competitions during the season right? Two of those 3 are playoff competitions and there are a whole lot more than just 2 competitive teams lol. Typical response from someone who doesn’t watch the sport though.
A bandwagon Barcelona fan questioning my knowledge of soccer, that's rich
I'm sure you followed them before the Messi era
Old 05-23-2020, 10:19 AM   #1018
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by keenan87 View Post
I never said its wrong to be happy (I will be cheering too). I said the team crapped the bed for most of this season and last playoffs.. some random playoff wins shouldn't be the reason the team decides to keep the same core in a modified playoffs. If they win the cup, then sure. If not, make the necessary moves many think are needed to win a championship.

Imo, taking out St.Louis would be due to the 2 month break moreso than the Flames being the better team. Lets be real, they would have been demolished 2 months ago.

If people are going to look at 1 playoffs series win against the Blues and decide this core is ready and should stay for another year.. then I think thats continuing to appreciate mediocrity that many are used to with this team.

Just my opinion.. didn't say anyone needs to agree.
No but you did say someone has their butt up the GMs butt for disagreeing.

I think that's my point.

If the Flames come out of a break like this with the core playing better hockey than other teams, maybe they should be kept to go forward.

Isn't that plausible? Or do I have my head somewhere it shouldn't be?
Old 05-23-2020, 10:20 AM   #1019
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If they're going to do a 24 team thing, they should really be only having teams that weren't in the division leaders (based on points percentage) have to do the "play in" round. Four teams, two eliminated in a single game play in, the winners play the 7 and 8 seeds in each conference based on points percentage in a 3 game series?

I realize this happens to be bad for the Flames based on where things finished up, but I just really dislike the idea of a team that had no mathematical possibility of finishing in the top 3 in their division getting one of those spots. The wild cards are... wild cards. it just seems less objectionable to me to have one of those spots get stolen (which was, if very unlikely for a team like the Blackhawks, at least semi-possible with 10+ games left when the season was suspended).

I dunno, I'd still rather they just ended the regular season and go straight to a normal playoffs based on points percentage, but the NHL just has to find a way to get those Blackhawks and Rangers into the mix and make as much money as possible.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 05-23-2020 at 10:22 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 10:29 AM   #1020
keenan87
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo View Post
No but you did say someone has their butt up the GMs butt for disagreeing.

I think that's my point.

If the Flames come out of a break like this with the core playing better hockey than other teams, maybe they should be kept to go forward.

Isn't that plausible? Or do I have my head somewhere it shouldn't be?
That was directed to a poster who called me out on his earlier post and how he "was not surprised" at my opinion.. which I felt wasn't needed. So relax.

As for your question, I don't agree with that. To me, these playoffs are a total crapshoot and this core has shown over and over again that they can't take their game to the next level when it matters most. Like I said, if they win the cup and prove me wrong, then they deserve to try and repeat next season. Winning 1-2 series doesn't mean much to me.

I put a lot more value into what I saw last playoffs and how that was followed this season. I was disappointed and I don't think this team had much of a chance if they made the playoffs 2 months ago (they may have not even made it). To me, these playoffs are going to be just like watching the pre-season.. most teams and players trying to find their game... not a true indication of anything really.
Closed Thread