Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 12-14-2022, 08:46 AM   #1
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:
Default Avatar: The Way Of Water

Overall people are raving about this movie, on its way to repeat or even eclipse 2009's success?

zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:56 AM   #2
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Reviews seems somewhat middling at best. Big spectacle, but basic story and character development.

It's certainly an event given that it's been 13 years in the making and a sequel to the biggest movie of all time. If it had been a great story, then I think it could be a big movie, but I don't know how many people will want to watch a 3 hour 10 minute movie just for the visuals, now that 3d has come and gone.

It's probably lucky to get 2/3's of the original box office, I'd guess.
nfotiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:57 AM   #3
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I don’t think the 3D gimmick is going to carry this one as far. People are over and done with it, and in terms of an actual film, I don’t know anyone who cites the original as being especially memorable or having any cultural relevance anymore.

What did the new Matrix do? Numbers like that would probably make sense.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 08:59 AM   #4
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I will see this.
*Unless seeing this one means that I am therefore committed to seeing all 4 sequels coming by 2028. I'm not sure I need all that. Probably one every dozen years is good.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:01 AM   #5
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

At 3 hours I'll watch this at home.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 09:06 AM   #6
Yeah_Baby
Franchise Player

Exp:

Cameron got David Ehrlich to give it 4 stars so needless to say I'm going tomorrow night.
Check out The Pod-Wraiths: A Star Trek Deep Space Nine Podcast
Yeah_Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yeah_Baby For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 09:17 AM   #7
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
The whole point of these movies is the theater effect. I got used copy of an Avatar blu-ray for a few dollars.... Pretty unwatchable without the theater experience. You have scenes set up for viewing in 3d on a multi storey screen. At home it's just garbage.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blankall For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 09:20 AM   #8
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
Reviews seems somewhat middling at best. Big spectacle, but basic story and character development.

It's certainly an event given that it's been 13 years in the making and a sequel to the biggest movie of all time. If it had been a great story, then I think it could be a big movie, but I don't know how many people will want to watch a 3 hour 10 minute movie just for the visuals, now that 3d has come and gone.

It's probably lucky to get 2/3's of the original box office, I'd guess.
2/3 is almost 2 bullion dollars. One thing to think about is that the big office from international films is now dramatically higher than it was a dozen years ago

3d movies are generally awful, but Avatar was a different experience. They built environments that worked with the 3d, as opposed to just having a regular movie that occasionally throws a 3d object at you.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:42 AM   #9
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

My understanding is the 3D technology has improved substantially. Less blur, brighter, etc...
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:44 AM   #10
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
2/3 is almost 2 bullion dollars. One thing to think about is that the big office from international films is now dramatically higher than it was a dozen years ago

3d movies are generally awful, but Avatar was a different experience. They built environments that worked with the 3d, as opposed to just having a regular movie that occasionally throws a 3d object at you.
I get that, and was the reason I saw the first. I liked the first one ok, but other than the visuals, it just wasn't that memorable. The thought of sitting through a 3+ hour movie in uncomfortable glasses is not very appealing. I don't know how many potential movie going couples have both people willing to see a 3 hour movie in 3d glasses now that everyone has experienced them and mostly grown to hat them over the years.

I am more curious of how HFR looks. I just don't know that my brain can accept that the smooth motion looks good, when I have to leave the room if someone has their TV with the true motion settings on. But maybe it looks good, if done right?
Old 12-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #11
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
The whole point of these movies is the theater effect. I got used copy of an Avatar blu-ray for a few dollars.... Pretty unwatchable without the theater experience. You have scenes set up for viewing in 3d on a multi storey screen. At home it's just garbage.
I've got a home theatre, maybe I'll splurge for 3D glasses for my projector, never really felt the need though. But if it is truly only worth watching in a theatre, I'm not going to watch it.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:49 AM   #12
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

When 3D TVs were still a thing, Avatar was amazing on 3D blu ray at home.

That said, it's still nothing compared to seeing it in the theatre.

Even the original Avatar movie was kind of meh in terms of story - I've heard this one is even more kitschy in it's environmental and tribal Disney family type story. I've heard the dialogue is George Lucas quality (I hate sand), and the movie is full of plot holes.

That said, most people still say its worth watching as a strong family movie and as basically like going to a theme park ride for the spectacle.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 09:53 AM   #13
Nyah
First Line Centre

Exp:

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, it's definitely a theater experience. I really enjoyed the first one in IMAX. I'm going next week, and I'll take my nephew at some point too.
Nyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:05 AM   #14
nfotiu
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't know if it is unique to my city, but all the IMAXes and HFR theaters are the sardine packed cineplexes. I'm way too spoiled by our dine in theater with widely spaced dual recliners that serve beer and food. I can deal with a 3 hour movie in that environment, but over 3 hours plus previews in a packed cineplex wearing 3d glasses sounds more like work than fun to me.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #15
Johnny Makarov
Franchise Player

Exp:

lol I still haven't made it through 30 mins of the 1st one.

I did watch the beginning like 15 times showing off my "new" 3D tv though.
Old 12-14-2022, 10:08 AM   #16
Torture
Loves Teh Chat!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketchyt View Post
My understanding is the 3D technology has improved substantially. Less blur, brighter, etc...
Didn't they say that 13 years ago?
Torture is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Torture For This Useful Post:
Old 12-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #17
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd be happy to take my kid for the cool 3D-ness if it was 2 hours long, no way a 7-year old is sitting through a 3 hour movie though. Otherwise it just doesn't interest me much.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:43 AM   #18
direwolf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfotiu View Post
It's certainly an event given that it's been 13 years in the making and a sequel to the biggest movie of all time.

I think you meant to say biggest movie of all time that nobody cares about. The 3D visuals of the original movie were pretty spectacular at the time, but the story and characters were sub-par retreads at best (basically Dances With Wolves meets Ferngully), and the movie just didn't hold up to repeat viewings.

I have no doubt the sequel's visuals will be awesome, but I'm just not sure it's worth a trip to the theatre this time. And Cameron is making 3 more of these after this? Yikes.
direwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:49 AM   #19
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
lol I still haven't made it through 30 mins of the 1st one.

I did watch the beginning like 15 times showing off my "new" 3D tv though.
Yeah I wish the movies were all about the inter-stellar travel ship and military base in the beginning and we didn't get into the magic rocks and trees and tribal blue people part.

Maybe I just want another James Cameron Aliens or some kind of space based sci-fi.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 11:26 AM   #20
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Ditto. I hate 3D anyways, it gives me a headache and its not worth it for a gimmick.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post: