Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2020, 09:31 AM   #2861
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nufy View Post
A while back I decided to standardize in 18V Dewalt for my cordless tools.

Meets all of my needs for home use and I can swap batteries as needed.

Lately I have been completing my collection via auction sites where you can get things way cheaper then retail. Used obviously but still in good shape.

For home use its worked out really well for me.

Pick a brand and run with it.
Not a bad idea and I did consider a DeWalt set. The 7 tools kit at Lowes was like $600 though. I'm not hurting bad for money, but if I can get away with the $135 Ryobi deal for the two saws, I'd be really happy that I don't have to tie up a ton of money in other stuff I likely would barely use.

Part of the reason why I want a cordless reciprocating saw is because I need to do some work on my roof (cut some branches that are thick and whacking the roof when the wind blows) and cut some stuff up there one handed if possible. I'd rather not have to worry about cords or have a heavy cord more likely pull the tool off the roof. It was scary enough up there with a hand saw. I guess I'll start hopping into a few different home depot locations and see if they have the tool. None of the stores show definitively that they have the tool and it's not available to purchase and ship.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:35 AM   #2862
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

You may be better with a pole saw. Reciprocating saws are quite heavy and tough to use with one hand. A pole lopper is also an option, mine can cut through some decent size stuff, but it depends how big your branches are.
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 09:49 AM   #2863
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
You may be better with a pole saw. Reciprocating saws are quite heavy and tough to use with one hand. A pole lopper is also an option, mine can cut through some decent size stuff, but it depends how big your branches are.
2-3 inches thick. It's old columnar Aspen trunks which are possibly several decades old. I'm lopping off the thick, old and dried out branches which are pretty hard (poorly pruned by someone else) that are at risk of damaging my roof when the wind blows. As with many projects, I'm not in a huge rush to do it, even though it's probably a earlier is better level of project.

As for one handed use, using wrist straps and using some type of strap to help balance the tool has worked for me before. If it's too heavy, I can always use two hands until it's almost cut through, and then use a hand saw for the last little bit.

I'm also trying to decide whether it makes more sense to prune and keep going, or if I'm better off cutting most of it down for firewood, and then calling a pro for root removal/replacing the Aspen with a younger tree.

I did consider the pole lopper, but it would get pretty limited use other than this project. I'd also have branches falling all over the place (vs me holding the branch and sawing it off). I just felt the reciprocating saw likely had more use after this project for other things later on.
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 10:05 AM   #2864
Voodooman
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
To directly answer your question, no, at least no in Calgary.

But to comment on it: It was far easier and cheaper for us to put up drywall on the ceiling than to scrape. Scraping won't necessarily get a smooth surface, and it can take a lot of time. Our contractor was able to quickly bang out the drywall, and have it ready to go. Less mess, less fuss, looks great.

Could be the same thing for the walls. For the sake of 1/2 inch, the time and energy it would take to put up some new drywall over the old stuff could save a lot of headache.

But, I don't know the size of the room, or how feasible that would be.
That hadn't occurred to me, but sure seems a lot easier than trying to smooth out 109 year old plaster. Thanks for the suggestion, I'll find a drywaller/taper to do that portion, and then I can paint it myself.
Voodooman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 11:39 AM   #2865
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleF View Post
Not a bad idea and I did consider a DeWalt set. The 7 tools kit at Lowes was like $600 though. I'm not hurting bad for money, but if I can get away with the $135 Ryobi deal for the two saws, I'd be really happy that I don't have to tie up a ton of money in other stuff I likely would barely use.

Part of the reason why I want a cordless reciprocating saw is because I need to do some work on my roof (cut some branches that are thick and whacking the roof when the wind blows) and cut some stuff up there one handed if possible. I'd rather not have to worry about cords or have a heavy cord more likely pull the tool off the roof. It was scary enough up there with a hand saw. I guess I'll start hopping into a few different home depot locations and see if they have the tool. None of the stores show definitively that they have the tool and it's not available to purchase and ship.
The Ryobi reciprocating saw will do just fine for that. Its pretty light but like other people have said, typically you want to go ahead with 1 brand just so you can interchange the batteries.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:06 PM   #2866
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
https://www.homedepot.ca/product/ryo...bag/1001343396

This is an incredible deal, thoguh everywhere says limited stock.
Another non-existent product that's "on sale"
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=hd&sku=1001343396
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:17 PM   #2867
rayne008
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwslam View Post
Another non-existent product that's "on sale"
https://stocktrack.ca/?s=hd&sku=1001343396
That stocktrack.ca is a great site. Too bad it doesn't include Costco.
rayne008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:20 PM   #2868
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

I want to build a grade level deck. Someone talk me out of it.

Just prefer it to stone. Will accept annual maintenance duties.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:27 PM   #2869
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are you taking a deck less than a foot off the ground, or at perfect ground level? You definitely want the joists above grade. But other than that, it's totally fine. I have one.
Old 07-07-2020, 12:30 PM   #2870
Scroopy Noopers
Pent-up

Exp:

Quote:
Are you taking a deck less than a foot off the ground, or at perfect ground level? You definitely want the joists above grade. But other than that, it's totally fine. I have one.
I could accept a single step up, would prefer it closer to flush even if I had to excavate a bit.
Scroopy Noopers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 12:37 PM   #2871
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

The problem with excavating is you create a low spot for water, and have no air circulation, then you get rot. Here is mine, I've got the bbq where that plant is, which is nice to have it a little lower. I had to have one lower section for the door. If it's under 2 feet(I think) you don't need railings, permit etc, so that's the big one.

Spoiler!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:01 PM   #2872
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swayze11 View Post
The Ryobi reciprocating saw will do just fine for that. Its pretty light but like other people have said, typically you want to go ahead with 1 brand just so you can interchange the batteries.
I have the Ryobi recip and with a battery it is indeed pretty big and heavy and definitely a 2 hand machine given the safety toggle.

I also have this Bosch, which is amazing and 1 handed, and is exactly what I use to prune trees (it accepts all recip blades, so usually I fire it up with a 12" pruning blade). It comes in 12V and 18V variants. I have the 12V one (along with matching mini impact and drill) and they're my day to day toolbox tools given they're so much lighter and more compact than the Ryobi. That said, the Ryobi are the best all around value if you're just starting a set, but the Bosch kits aren't too too much more. (Same conglom makes Bosch, Milwaukee and the Ryobis). Believe there are identical sets of the 12V/18V in Milwaukee branded ones which are more common at the Homeless DeathSpot if you're jonesing for the 1 handed recip.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-Bare-Too.../dp/B009K1H3WI

Last edited by Ducay; 07-07-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 01:22 PM   #2873
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I really want one of those little Bosch ones. I think I'd cut lots of stuff with it! I wish Dewalt made one, as I've already committed to yellow on the battery side. They also make 12v drills that take the same battery, and they look quite handy for small lightweight tools. Maybe I'll start a 12v collection from Bosch....
Old 07-07-2020, 03:19 PM   #2874
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
I have the Ryobi recip and with a battery it is indeed pretty big and heavy and definitely a 2 hand machine given the safety toggle.

I also have this Bosch, which is amazing and 1 handed, and is exactly what I use to prune trees (it accepts all recip blades, so usually I fire it up with a 12" pruning blade). It comes in 12V and 18V variants. I have the 12V one (along with matching mini impact and drill) and they're my day to day toolbox tools given they're so much lighter and more compact than the Ryobi. That said, the Ryobi are the best all around value if you're just starting a set, but the Bosch kits aren't too too much more. (Same conglom makes Bosch, Milwaukee and the Ryobis). Believe there are identical sets of the 12V/18V in Milwaukee branded ones which are more common at the Homeless DeathSpot if you're jonesing for the 1 handed recip.

https://www.amazon.ca/Bosch-Bare-Too.../dp/B009K1H3WI
Damn... that looks slick...
Old 07-07-2020, 03:35 PM   #2875
RussianSpy
Draft Pick

Quote:
The problem with excavating is you create a low spot for water, and have no air circulation, then you get rot. Here is mine, I've got the bbq where that plant is, which is nice to have it a little lower. I had to have one lower section for the door. If it's under 2 feet(I think) you don't need railings, permit etc, so that's the big one.

Spoiler!
What brand of deck stain did you use on this? It looks really nice. I’m planning to stain my cedar deck soon and it’s about the same size. I have no idea which brand I should use.
RussianSpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 03:42 PM   #2876
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Sikkens Cetol SRD natural.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 08:38 PM   #2877
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up nabbing this Milwaukee promotion:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...bag/1001303708

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...ly-/1000694320

$150 for the 12V 2x 2.0Ah starter kit and hackzall seemed like a pretty solid deal and perfect for my purposes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2020, 09:56 PM   #2878
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up nabbing this Milwaukee promotion:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...bag/1001303708

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/mil...ly-/1000694320

$150 for the 12V 2x 2.0Ah starter kit and hackzall seemed like a pretty solid deal and perfect for my purposes.
Beauty, that's the Bosch in different colored clothes. For $150 with 2 batteries you're laughing. Lots of good promos when you want to add the impact driver/drill too.
Ducay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2020, 09:57 AM   #2879
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Based on my research, it seems that there's quite a few recommendations to maximize the base M12 reciprocating saw by utilizing Diablo carbide blades (demolition grade if the wallet can handle it) vs the typical Milwaukee blades. Supposedly, the difference is less noticeable in the higher power reciprocating saws, but for the M12 base, it makes a huge difference in vibration and cutting effectiveness. This makes a ton of sense to me.

I'm thinking of going with this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dia...set/1000777123

The pruner will be nice and in theory the metal cutting blades would slice through most other non-metal things like butter.

Thoughts?
Old 07-08-2020, 10:01 AM   #2880
Swayze11
something else haha

Exp:

Quote:
Based on my research, it seems that there's quite a few recommendations to maximize the base M12 reciprocating saw by utilizing Diablo carbide blades (demolition grade if the wallet can handle it) vs the typical Milwaukee blades. Supposedly, the difference is less noticeable in the higher power reciprocating saws, but for the M12 base, it makes a huge difference in vibration and cutting effectiveness. This makes a ton of sense to me.

I'm thinking of going with this:

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/dia...set/1000777123

The pruner will be nice and in theory the metal cutting blades would slice through most other non-metal things like butter.

Thoughts?
Seems like a no brainer for the price.

Swayze11 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Swayze11 For This Useful Post: